Block 528 - Wembley

Yorkshire Saint

In a vain attempt that you can use a computer, perhaps a forum - To the man and his son who physically assaulted me at Wembley yesterday after Saints went 2-0 down, I understand you were disappointed, I was too, but in 40 years of going to games ... for one of my own to start throwing punches at me so that I had to leave my seat I say ... thank you, thank you for the money you will now save me as I will no longer follow my team as I have over land and sea. You were quite truly a disgrace and you ruined my day - I couldn't care for the score, I couldn't care one bit ... in context I wake up happy that I only have a bruised head - you are scum and I associate that kind of behaviour with other fans like Leeds not Southampton.

Nobody throws a punch at a stranger unless justified (I think), are you sure you were not bugging him? Just like the squirriley little man who sat behind me and kept shouting "sit down sit down" with his just as annoying little wife every time people stood up in excitement !!

If people like him act that way towards fans that have passion, it's no wonder others get annoyed !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To lastman73 Having to interface with people like you are the reason I don't bother with away matches. You sound entitled, rude and thoughtless. I had a couple of people just like you in front of me. I ended standing whenever they did. They were really into the footy as was I, and I didn't begrudge them at all. It would have been different for me, if I was unable to stand as there was no way they could have sat down and my day would have been ruined.

Your assertion that no one throws a punch is laughable.

Of course there are always two sides to a story, but I feel I am a reasonable man.

After UTD's first and then second goal I stood up and tried to get the atmosphere going in 528. In my opinion the fans were frozen up to this point. I tried to sing, I tried to support my team. The man directly behind me asked me to sit down because his son could not see and I sat down, a man and his son who was around 22 i guess and two seats to the left in the row behind me started verbally assaulting me, mocking me and I asked them to be quiet and support the team ... they had clearly had too much and were ready for a punch up .. it might sound soft but I have 20 years of Karate training ... I had 2 choices, knock them on there back sides or walk away, I walked away. I appreciate this is a forum, I appreciate people's frustrations, I have never been in a fight and I am not an aggressive man. These two were scum and it almost felt premeditated.

To lastman73 Having to interface with people like you are the reason I don't bother with away matches. You sound entitled, rude and thoughtless. I had a couple of people just like you in front of me. I ended standing whenever they did. They were really into the footy as was I, and I didn't begrudge them at all. It would have been different for me, if I was unable to stand as there was no way they could have sat down and my day would have been ruined.

Your assertion that no one throws a punch is laughable.

I agree. We were at the front of the top tier 5 rows back with a disabled section behind us. Further forward a couple of guys continually stood up despite being told that the disabled section no being able to see. I desperately wanted to stand for the hole game but some things aren't right.

Nobody throws a punch at a stranger unless justified (I think), are you sure you were not bugging him? Just like the squirriley little man who sat behind me and kept shouting "sit down sit down" with his just as annoying little wife every time people stood up in excitement !!

If people like him act that way towards fans that have passion, it's no wonder others get annoyed !!

Way to go. I was going to respond to the original post by saying in a crowd of 82,000 there's bound to be one dickhead the but not to let that put you off football. However, having read your post, it looks like there are at least two.

Someone had their day spoilt and that's your response, seriously?

Neither you, nor I can know what happened but try to have some empathy. For example, I love to stand up at football but I am always conscious that the people behind me might have dodgy knees, a bad back or some reason why it's not as easy for them. If everyone is standing I am not saying you need to be a martyr - but if it's just you in a crowd of sitters, you're the problem. Unfortunately that clash is inevitable in random seating.

Anyway to the Original poster, I am sorry that spoilt your enjoyment of a cracking game. Hopefully you'll realise that one incident shouldn't put you off.

If Lastman was in block 130, the "squirrelly little man" was 60+ with his equally old wife. Everyone to your right/in front was sat down by this point about 5-10 minutes in. Your 'child' was about 17 and kept gleefully telling the old couple they couldn't make him sit down. Literally everyone else behind you were telling you to be decent and let them see, but it took until the 15th minute and the man going to a steward to get you too sit. The only justice is you missed the first goal as you left early to get more beer on. Just show some empathy, how does standing make you enjoy the game any more? And even if it was the nose special thing in the world to stand, the couple behind you clearly couldn't. That just isn't 'saintly'.

My 9 year old daughter and I were lucky enough to have a staircase in front of us. If not, my daughter would of missed most of the action. It is possible to sit down and be excited. Standing up every time the ball comes near the goal is selfish and if you can't control that instinct, stay home because it creates a chain reaction throughout the ground.

I realise the other option is my daughter and I and all the other people (disabled, old etc...) stay home.

That's fair enough. I realise this post will change nothing.

ah well....we will be at Watford on Saturday

fingers crossed we get someone equally small or disabled in front of us.

Generally I don't think the standing or not standing is a problem at most games. At SMS everyone knows which parts of the ground stand and which don't and chose their seats accordingly. The problem with yesterdays game would have been that the way the tickets were sold meant our standers and non standers were all mixed up. I normally stand in the Itchen north but spent most of the game yesterday bouncing up and down like a pogo stick standing when everyone around me stood up for a chant and sitting when the crowd decided to sit down having said that no one around me got upset everyone just seemed to go with the flow.

Generally I don't think the standing or not standing is a problem at most games. At SMS everyone knows which parts of the ground stand and which don't and chose their seats accordingly. The problem with yesterdays game would have been that the way the tickets were sold meant our standers and non standers were all mixed up. I normally stand in the Itchen north but spent most of the game yesterday bouncing up and down like a pogo stick standing when everyone around me stood up for a chant and sitting when the crowd decided to sit down having said that no one around me got upset everyone just seemed to go with the flow.

This was the same in block 127 but I did find it strange when a father and teenage son left after Utd scored their first goal.

I had a domestic in front of me, then a falling out between male part of domestic and a bloke sat two seats away over something petty ( they shook hands later, ahhh) and then a weasel around 16 yrs and weighing no more than his torn stone island jumper trying to fight someone who had the audacity to step in front of him on the exit step. Humans eh??? Up the saints.

If Lastman was in block 130, the "squirrelly little man" was 60+ with his equally old wife. Everyone to your right/in front was sat down by this point about 5-10 minutes in. Your 'child' was about 17 and kept gleefully telling the old couple they couldn't make him sit down. Literally everyone else behind you were telling you to be decent and let them see, but it took until the 15th minute and the man going to a steward to get you too sit. The only justice is you missed the first goal as you left early to get more beer on. Just show some empathy, how does standing make you enjoy the game any more? And even if it was the nose special thing in the world to stand, the couple behind you clearly couldn't. That just isn't 'saintly'.

That was not me !

This is why there was so much carnage when West Ham moved into the Tax Payer Arena, everyone was peppered round the ground instead of saying right this is where we propose the rowdy raucous fans are going to sit.

Way to go. I was going to respond to the original post by saying in a crowd of 82,000 there's bound to be one dickhead the but not to let that put you off football. However, having read your post, it looks like there are at least two.

Someone had their day spoilt and that's your response, seriously?

Neither you, nor I can know what happened but try to have some empathy. For example, I love to stand up at football but I am always conscious that the people behind me might have dodgy knees, a bad back or some reason why it's not as easy for them. If everyone is standing I am not saying you need to be a martyr - but if it's just you in a crowd of sitters, you're the problem. Unfortunately that clash is inevitable in random seating.

Anyway to the Original poster, I am sorry that spoilt your enjoyment of a cracking game. Hopefully you'll realise that one incident shouldn't put you off.

Every one here seems to think that those who sit are entitled to sit, yep fair enough they are. I have no argument with that but, on the flip side, why should somebody who wants to stand be bugged and annoyed by somebody behind them who does not!

There are always two sides to an argument, I'm just on the side where standing is king !

That does not make me a **** head , I was there with my dad and son, I was not the only stander. Most within say 10 seats and 5 rows wanted to but, the annoying little bloke behind ruined it for us !!

Where is the fairness in that ?

My 9 year old daughter and I were lucky enough to have a staircase in front of us. If not, my daughter would of missed most of the action. It is possible to sit down and be excited. Standing up every time the ball comes near the goal is selfish and if you can't control that instinct, stay home because it creates a chain reaction throughout the ground.

I realise the other option is my daughter and I and all the other people (disabled, old etc...) stay home.

That's fair enough. I realise this post will change nothing.

ah well....we will be at Watford on Saturday

fingers crossed we get someone equally small or disabled in front of us.

I get my kids to stand on their seat if they can't see, which is what one of them did yesterday. It's pretty much accepted that everyone stands at away games which is what caused problems yesterday. Strangely I don't remember any issues at the JPT when the lower tier stood for the whole match.

There were a few idiots dotted around. Two lads a couple of seats across from me in block 532 being extremely rude to everyone around them, not sitting down, being extremely abusive when challenged and then standing on Dad's hand (difficult to explain, but he was by the aisle and tried to give them space when leaving by twisting around any holding onto the concrete step for stability) when they tried to shuffle out for an early half time pint. Thankfully they didn't reappear.

Why spend so much money for this type of occasion only to behave like an absolute idiot? Nonetheless they missed all the drama.

Edited by Colinjb

Every one here seems to think that those who sit are entitled to sit, yep fair enough they are. I have no argument with that but, on the flip side, why should somebody who wants to stand be bugged and annoyed by somebody behind them who does not!

There are always two sides to an argument, I'm just on the side where standing is king !

That does not make me a **** head , I was there with my dad and son, I was not the only stander. Most within say 10 seats and 5 rows wanted to but, the annoying little bloke behind ruined it for us !!

Sorry fella, but you are 100% wrong. We have all seater stadia in this country. There is no provision for standing. What people want to do is somewhat irrelevant. That it happens a lot doesn't mean that it is correct.

This was the same in block 127 but I did find it strange when a father and teenage son left after Utd scored their first goal.

that is strange. Even at 2-0 down I still felt we were in it. Man U were bang average (I mean Pogba didn't look any better than Tadic yesterday) it was a great comeback to get it back to 2-2 and a great game to be involved in even if the final result was pretty ****.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/the-legalities-of-standing/

Anyone who doesn't stand at a moment of excitement to me is either unable (fair enough) or not really that into a game.

Interesting JM...these two bits seem pertinent.

============

It is widely believed that this practice is illegal. This is not the case, even within Premier League and Championship grounds. The law only provides that these clubs should provide seats for all supporters, not that supporters must sit on them.

and

Standing in seated areas, is, however, contrary to ground regulations. For example, the Football League’s model set of ground regulations states: ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

============

I think that we all are in favour of having standing areas, and it is ridiculous that one game out of tens/hundreds of thousands has shaped it. Now we all also know that it has little to do with that game, but more to do with tackling hooliganism. So how about having a compromise. Have standing areas for home teams only. Start it off like that, and see how it goes.

The irony of one of the kids near me repeatedly singing "stand up if you love the Saints" missing the equaliser because presumably, as much as he loves the Saints, loves a beer or a hot dog a little bit more. He also seemed more interested in taking selfies, posting to facebook and at one point facetiming the game to a mate than watching, yet still had the audacity to make out he was a better supporter than those around him!

There were certain points in the game that standing certainly felt like the right thing to do, but to some people it seems like they are hell bent on it purely to antagonise those around them. I was delighted at being surrounded by people singing, can't stand it when it's so quiet at St Mary's, but when the people in front of you stand up with their scarves in the air and you're having to hunch over and peer through a little gap to see what's actually happening on the pitch it's easy to start wanting them to sit down!

You are being selfish. Sit down and let everybody enjoy the game. There is no need to stand at Wembley in order to get a better view. There were a couple of jumper-uppers in front of us but these were all the ones who turned up 10 seconds before kickoff and complained that they couldn't find find their scarves, kept going out to the toilets during the game and were late back for the second half and missed our equaliser. There was another who decided he had to stand in order to take photographs during the build-up thus blocking everybody else's view.

Consideration for others is a mark of a civilised society.

The irony of one of the kids near me repeatedly singing "stand up if you love the Saints" missing the equaliser because presumably, as much as he loves the Saints, loves a beer or a hot dog a little bit more. He also seemed more interested in taking selfies, posting to facebook and at one point facetiming the game to a mate than watching, yet still had the audacity to make out he was a better supporter than those around him!

There were certain points in the game that standing certainly felt like the right thing to do, but to some people it seems like they are hell bent on it purely to antagonise those around them. I was delighted at being surrounded by people singing, can't stand it when it's so quiet at St Mary's, but when the people in front of you stand up with their scarves in the air and you're having to hunch over and peer through a little gap to see what's actually happening on the pitch it's easy to start wanting them to sit down!

Ah now as much as I'd be first in line for a standing area option, I bloody hate those chants of stand up if you love/hate the saints/Pompey. They are only of use in the Northam when the stewards seat the rows in front and they get to your row or to make a poignant gesture, like a season or two ago when everyone stood up for Markus.

In my experience those who stand waving their scarves in the air and sing their hearts out are not actually watching the game and are more interested in taking part in what psychologists would call a 'group hug'.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Sorry fella, but you are 100% wrong. We have all seater stadia in this country. There is no provision for standing. What people want to do is somewhat irrelevant. That it happens a lot doesn't mean that it is correct.

Tell that to the Northam !!

Can you get any more selfish? Does the thought not even enter your head that maybe the people sitting behind you aren't doing it because they want to, but because they physically can't stand for a whole game? "Annoying little bloke" - Was he annoying because he wanted to enjoy the game instead of look at your backside for the whole thing?

This is why we are **** fans; you can tell regularly attendees from those who don't.

We're at a cup final, if you think I'm sitting down when the ball is in their area, you've got no chance. I was in block 123, fans were like mice. Except for the gobby middle aged bird trying to kick off with the mancs.

Can you get any more selfish? Does the thought not even enter your head that maybe the people sitting behind you aren't doing it because they want to, but because they physically can't stand for a whole game? "Annoying little bloke" - Was he annoying because he wanted to enjoy the game instead of look at your backside for the whole thing?

Hey..... come on now, I've got a great looking arse !!!

This is why we are **** fans; you can tell regularly attendees from those who don't.

We're at a cup final, if you think I'm sitting down when the ball is in their area, you've got no chance. I was in block 123, fans were like mice. Except for the gobby middle aged bird trying to kick off with the mancs.

Those who like to sit are also regular attendees. They also tend not to mix regularly with your crowd. When you were under 14 or when you're over 60 you will probably see things differently, if there's nobody standing in your way.

In my experience those who stand waving their scarves in the air and sing their hearts out are not actually watching the game and are more interested in taking part in what psychologists would call a 'group hug'.

If you want everyone at football to sit quietly and not support their team so you can watch the game uninterrupted in peace you might as well stay at home and watch it on the telly while sending the misses and kids to the cinema.

Your reply does not wash. A sitter's right to sit does not in any way infringe your ability to see the action (which is what we are all there for). Your right to stand does impinge on other's right to see and is basically selfish. A guy close to me was trying to encourage other people to stand. He did not really succeed but had the good grace to accept it. The problem as others have said that none of us had any control of where we sat which means that the two were mixed together.

If you want everyone at football to sit quietly and not support their team so you can watch the game uninterrupted in peace you might as well stay at home and watch it on the telly while sending the misses and kids to the cinema.

Now you're being selfishly stupid. If you think that standing waving your arms in the air and bawling your head off is all that counts for support then you have a lot to learn.

Now you're being selfishly stupid. If you think that standing waving your arms in the air and bawling your head off is all that counts for support then you have a lot to learn.

We should all just agree to disagree on this one!

Social media is the new generation of footy fan

I think a mixture of all makes the whole experience to be honest

This

But The pictures, the snapchat, the facetiming, the selfies, the half and half scarves. I understand a couple of photos why not- memories for life but to be constantly filming the game on your phone- you may as well record a TV screen if you won't support the team!

Jesus wept how i wish for a game in the terraces again

LOL behave if you think sitting there quietly is all that counts you're no different there is more than one way to skin a cat. Which is why I stand in the Itchen North, sing and watch the game and you no doubt sit in the middle of the Kingsland telling everyone the ref is doing a stella job and we both enjoy our day at the footie. The problem yesterday is we all got mixed up. I lived with it and respected what those around me wanted to do (sit, stand, sing, not sing) sounds like you didn't...

There is always these sort of problems when you get such a mix of fans. the club should recommend a few blocks for the Northam fans and another for people who want to be boring and sit quietly the whole game, and leave the rest for the vast majority who don't give a **** - I think other clubs do it. Stops these problems and creates a better atmosphere.

Cup Finals are a recipe for disaster. I was surrounded by the classic jester hats/foam hands/ruddy faced mustard cords and Barbour jacketed types from Alresford and a couple of "get it forward Saints" types right next to me. You then chuck a few blokes who 'like a drink' and bit of a foul mouthed rant into the middle of this lot and it's quite amusing to watch(I was on a sober one yesterday). At least at St Mary's we generally all know what we want and where we want to sit. (Sometimes get day-tripper posh couples at back of Block 2 at St Mary's for big games, they often don't come back for 2nd half!).

Us with dodgy knees soon get weary of getting up to see the action when the ball gets near the penalty area !!! Standing or sitting is OK but constant up and down is a killer for me .

I find people who want to stand just to some how buck the system pretty irritating but not as irritating as ManU getting a late winner or their fans more concerned with jumping round and round with total disregard to the events on the pitch !!!!