Watford vs. Southampton build up

Pass the Dutchie

Number 12 (Watford) against number 13 (Saints).

On the opening day of the season we came back from 0-1 (9th minute goal by Capoue) when Redmond scored his debut goal for Saints in the 58th minute, for a 1-1 end result against 10 of them (Ben Watson was sent of for a challenge against Shane Long).

Results from the past 10 years:

16 Sep 2007 Watford v Southampton W 3-2 League Championship

07 Apr 2009 Watford v Southampton D 2-2 League Championship

25 Feb 2012 Watford v Southampton L 0-3 League Championship

23 Aug 2015 Watford v Southampton D 0-0 Premier League

Southampton-v-Watford-Premier-League.jpg

If we play as well as we did in the EFL Cup final, we should have a good chance of winning this.

Edited by Pass the Dutchie

Forster

Cedric

Yoshida

Cáceres

Bertrand

Romeu

Davis ©

JWP

Boufal

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Subs: Hassen, McQueen, Stephens, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Long, JRod

Injured/Dropped: McCarthy, Targett, Pied, Martina, Gardos, Van Dyke, Clasie, Reed, Sims, Austin

Watford 0 Saints 2 (Gabbiadini, Cáceres)

Edited by trousers

Got a feeling this could be a bit of an 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' performance and we will struggle to find motivation after such a heartbreaking late defeat. Let's hope not.

I'd be tempted to go with the same team, maybe Hojbjerg in the middle and Sophie-Anne instead of Tadic. Would be good to see Caceres get some game time but I've no idea if he's fit enough to start yet.

Agree wouldn't change much from the final line up, try to build a bit of consistency. I don't think Caceres deserves to come in yet until he's played a couple of u23 games and shows he can handle it. With only 2 games in March there is no need to rest any players with such long breaks between matches.

Will be worrying if we do lose this with Spurs away next we could find ourselves going into April still on 30 points.

Watford are a funny side, hard to beat but no great players in there. 1-1 draw my prediction.

Same team other than Caceres for Stephens. As well as we played it's easy to forget we conceded 3 and the 3rd was specifically Stephens fault for leaving the bank for 4 and not tracking Zlatan quick enough. Not taking anything away from the lad though, other than that he was alright and will learn from mistake but as we currently have a keeper who doesn't save anything, we need to sure up defense.

Would be tempted to drop Forster, however we have no replacement for him.

JWP, Redmond and Tadic have earned place in team following performance Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see how we respond and how much Sunday has taken out of us.

Freshen it up.

Hassen

Cedric

Caceres

Yoshida

Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Boufal

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Subs: Forster, Stephens, Clasie/Sims, Davis, Jwp, Rodriguez, Long

Hojbjerg has played terribly since January, whilst JWP and Romeu were terrific against Manure, so why change? I'd like to see Long come on at some point when Gabbi is on the pitch, as he should have done on Sunday. Puel missed a trick there.

And not sure about Hassen, though Fraser does need resting.

Edited by eelpie
Damned intuitive correcting changing my spelling!

Hojbjerg has played terribly since January, whilst JWP and Romeu were terrific against Manure, so why change? I'd like to see Long come on at some point when Gabbi is on the pitch, as he should have done on Sunday. Puel missed a trick there.

And not sure about Hassen, though Fraser does need resting.

Hojbjerg would do well alongside Romeu in new formation. Also Davis played alongside Romeu as the 2 not Jwp. On the right of the 3 Boufal van beat a man and get in to key position, nog sure Jwp can do that. Not sure about Hassen either but has to be worth a try as Forster forget playing well is costing goals due to basic goalkeeping competence.

Why on earth freshen it up?

I wouldn't advocate "freshening up" the team just for the sake doing so, but Puel should pick the player mix that he feels is best placed to beat Watford. All opponents we play have different strengths and weaknesses. To blindly pick the same team simply because they played well in a final is sentiment over logic. Yes, I think his aim should be to maintain as much of the team that played so well on Sunday, but not just for the sake of doing so. I would start Cáceres (for Stephens) and Boufal (for Tadic) vs Watford as I think that will make us an even better team than the one that started vs Man Utd.

Hojbjerg would do well alongside Romeu in new formation. Also Davis played alongside Romeu as the 2 not Jwp. On the right of the 3 Boufal van beat a man and get in to key position, nog sure Jwp can do that. Not sure about Hassen either but has to be worth a try as Forster forget playing well is costing goals due to basic goalkeeping competence.

I think it's going to be fascinating to see how Holbjerg/Romeu and JWP/Romeu combinations work in the coming weeks now that we only have league position to play for. I thought in the EFL JWP contributed to the fluency that dominated Manure, but perhaps a revitalised Hojbjerg is better against cloggers. I'm looking forward to the next matches.

I think it's going to be fascinating to see how Holbjerg/Romeu and JWP/Romeu combinations work in the coming weeks now that we only have league position to play for. I thought in the EFL JWP contributed to the fluency that dominated Manure, but perhaps a revitalised Hojbjerg is better against cloggers. I'm looking forward to the next matches.

I wonder how Jordy Clasie feels amongst all this- a Koeman signing but could not make the bench at Wembley

But it was Davis /Romeu against Man Utd?

Agree, however i'm not convinced that Davis is defensively strong enough to play as a 2.

He isn't. Romeu needs a proper partner, not a stop gap, if we're going to be moving forward with 4-2-3-1.

Hojbjerg looks the obvious fit from within the squad - Clasie and Reed are too lightweight, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind if the club went after another Chelsea fringe player - as Romeu and Bertrand were - in Chalobah, in the summer to fill the role. Good all round defensive midfielder, versatile, young, English. And unlikely to get much action ahead of Kante, Matic and Fabregas.

He isn't. Romeu needs a proper partner, not a stop gap, if we're going to be moving forward with 4-2-3-1.

Hojbjerg looks the obvious fit from within the squad - Clasie and Reed are too lightweight, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind if the club went after another Chelsea fringe player - as Romeu and Bertrand were - in Chalobah, in the summer to fill the role. Good all round defensive midfielder, versatile, young, English. And unlikely to get much action ahead of Kante, Matic and Fabregas.

As far as I'm concerned Davis is a better defender, and reader of the game, than Hojbjerg. He's better on the ball. Better than everything but aerials. Literally the only thing Hojbjerg has on Davis is height, and Hojbjerg has been prone to not staying with his man on set pieces. No way would I be picking Hojberg over Davis.

And age. ;)

Hojbjerg had some promising games earlier on. Let's hope his confidence grows once the results reflect the efforts more.

hojbjerg cannot shoot for sh*t!!!

his speculative efforts haha love that he attempts them though, one of these days theyll go in.

hojbjerg cannot shoot for sh*t!!!

his speculative efforts haha love that he attempts them though, one of these days theyll go in.

Agreed! Weirdly I think Hojberg has gotten worse since the start of the season

As far as I'm concerned Davis is a better defender, and reader of the game, than Hojbjerg. He's better on the ball. Better than everything but aerials. Literally the only thing Hojbjerg has on Davis is height, and Hojbjerg has been prone to not staying with his man on set pieces. No way would I be picking Hojberg over Davis.

Davis made no effort to get up to the ball in the free kick goal, bent his knees and ducked his head came up after the ball went over. For the second failed to close down Rojo then didn't track him allowing the pass to the scorer, for the third goal he stood off Herrera with his hands behind his back and made no effort to close him down. For the first if he had been braver the ball would have been blocked and for second and third he was the only one that could have stopped the moves but as usual failed to get in close and hard.

Davis is a lightweight and appears scared to tackle hard and avoids hard contact. He is not a ball winner.

Davis made no effort to get up to the ball in the free kick goal, bent his knees and ducked his head came up after the ball went over. For the second failed to close down Rojo then didn't track him allowing the pass to the scorer, for the third goal he stood off Herrera with his hands behind his back and made no effort to close him down. For the first if he had been braver the ball would have been blocked and for second and third he was the only one that could have stopped the moves but as usual failed to get in close and hard.

Davis is a lightweight and appears scared to tackle hard and avoids hard contact. He is not a ball winner.

Unfortunately a lot of this is relevant.