Watford vs. Southampton build up

Pass the Dutchie

hojbjerg cannot shoot for sh*t!!!

his speculative efforts haha love that he attempts them though, one of these days theyll go in.

Heh, Hojbjerg will have to spurn a lot more golden shooting opportunities before he even gets close to Davis in the not-being-able-to-finish-for-**** stakes. For what it's worth, Hoj also runs with the ball a hell of a lot more effectively than Davis, and actually has the close control (and bravery) to beat a man. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see him given a run of games starting with Romeu to build back some of the confidence that seems to have eroded since the start of the season.

I cannot stand Fraser Forster but I really wouldn't be swapping him out for s complete unknown quantity. His highlights reel doesn't exactly inspire confidence... just seems a like a smaller, stockier Forster. No real goalkeeping ability just seems to get hit by the ball.

Fingers crossed McCarthys not too far away

The ideal time to bounce back. The League Cup final may well have been a bit of an 'occasion' but the Premier League is much more important in the grand scheme. We need to get a point at least.
utter ****ing rubbish we've won 1 major trophy ever so it was a bit more than just an occasion, win lose or draw at Watford really isn't going to change are season, we won't qualify for Europe and we won't go down,

I cannot stand Fraser Forster but I really wouldn't be swapping him out for s complete unknown quantity. His highlights reel doesn't exactly inspire confidence... just seems a like a smaller, stockier Forster. No real goalkeeping ability just seems to get hit by the ball.

Or give Hassen a go

Interesting, but what evidence is there that he is good enough and also fit enough for 90 minutes - as cb?

I know it's bad form to answer a question with a question but... What (non-circumstantial) evidence is there that he's (currently) not good enough and also not fit enough for 90 minutes?

The problem being McCarthy isn't all that either. There is a reason he was only 3rd choice at Palace when we bought him.

Important game. Players saying all the right things. Bouncing back from the disappointment of the final, taking the positives etc.

But I have a nagging feeling its going to be a disappointing display. Really hope I'm wrong.

One thing that does give me hope is that even if we don't play very well, it now seems like if we can create a chance with still nick something with Gabbi, a luxury we haven't had this season until he joined

I reckon Gabbi will have energised the whole team with his positivity and superb finishing; for example Ryan now knows that a decent low cross whipped across the 6 yard box could well get turned in, (less likely with only Jay, Long, Redmond up front!)

I wonder how Jordy Clasie feels amongst all this- a Koeman signing but could not make the bench at Wembley

I think he may end up being the odd man out in that midfield competition. In Davis, Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse and Clasie, we clearly have a midfield that can be improved no matter who is first choice. Davis has the most to offer going forward (despite his woeful finishing), and is club captain. Ward-Prowse and Hojbjerg are both slightly younger than Clasie, and in my view have hinted at having a higher ceiling.

Sure, Clasie has had decent games, and going back a few months was probably in the best form of the three. However, I'm yet to see him have anything more than a 'decent' game, and he continues to struggle physically. While JWP and Hojbjerg are yet to convince me they should be first choice, I have at least seen performances from both of them which suggest they can improve into excellent players. I have seen more from Hojbjerg in this regard but accept that JWP has discovered a bit better form of late.

This is one of the first games this season that nobody is calling must win as there isn't a great deal left to play for. Absolutely anything could happen. We're on a 6 match unbeaten run in games against Watford and it would be good to extend that to 7.

But there is a lot to play for.

10th place for starters.

And we have scores to settle with clubs above us, because we believe we are better than many of the clubs up there.

I am very much looking forward to the run-in to end of season now that we have a genuine striker at last, beginning with Watford.

I reckon Gabbi will have energised the whole team with his positivity and superb finishing; for example Ryan now knows that a decent low cross whipped across the 6 yard box could well get turned in, (less likely with only Jay, Long, Redmond up front!)

It is amazing how much the presence of one great player can affect the performance of the other 10. The second Gabbiadini was taken off at Wembley, you could sense an instant change of mood on the pitch and after that there was only ever going to be one winner. I guess the opposite would have happened if Mourinho had taken off Ibrahimovic.

It is amazing how much the presence of one great player can affect the performance of the other 10. The second Gabbiadini was taken off at Wembley, you could sense an instant change of mood on the pitch and after that there was only ever going to be one winner. I guess the opposite would have happened if Mourinho had taken off Ibrahimovic.

Has it been explained why Gabbi was taken off? He didn't seem injured. I would have liked Long to be on the pitch with him to keep the pressure on Manure's defenders instead of the other way round. Oh well, all history now. Let's take our frustration out on Watford.

I said this at the time. You could almost see the United defenders relax. I get that Gabbi was blowing but I'd have left him on until the end of normal time and then taken stock after the extra time break.

I said this at the time. You could almost see the United defenders relax. I get that Gabbi was blowing but I'd have left him on until the end of normal time and then taken stock after the extra time break.

Should have put Long up alongside him let him do all the running Gabbi just hang around the 18 yard area. too late now.

I am not sure why people think Mccarthy was 3rd choice at Palace he wasn't and in the games he played earlier this season looked light years above what we have had lately.

Yes, that's what I've been saying all along. A clinical finisher in the side lifts the whole team.

Except for Forster.

THE GUY WAS KNaCKeREd totally and could have got injured in that state !!!!!

He had to come off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell.... Crikey!

THE GUY WAS KNaCKeREd totally and could have got injured in that state !!!!!

He had to come off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell.... Crikey!

He's a professional sportsman. I was in the stadium so couldn't see it close up but I find it difficult to believe that a Premier League footballer who had already scored two goals in a game was so dead on his feet he couldn't stand in and around the box for 10 minutes more. IMO it was a mistake to bring him off, tired or not. You're entitled to your opinion, I've got mine.

Very good interview by Puel and his English has improved.

Even had some humour.

He's excited by this squad and so am I

Enjoyed him correcting the interviewer by saying Gabbi had scored 6 in 3 rather than 5 in 3.

He's a professional sportsman. I was in the stadium so couldn't see it close up but I find it difficult to believe that a Premier League footballer who had already scored two goals in a game was so dead on his feet he couldn't stand in and around the box for 10 minutes more. IMO it was a mistake to bring him off, tired or not. You're entitled to your opinion, I've got mine.

Yes you're right, you both entitled to your opinions on this.

As does Puel.

Yes, that's what I've been saying all along. A clinical finisher in the side lifts the whole team.

Except for Forster.

Funny how only last year when Forster returned from injury he lifted the whole team, as his form a year ago was brilliant. Anyone remember that?

Funny how only last year when Forster returned from injury he lifted the whole team, as his form a year ago was brilliant. Anyone remember that?

There's certainly something wrong with him. Injury would seem a likely hypothesis but a lack of cover means that he has had to be thrown in.

But that was last year ????

This year he has been pants.... Let's face it he has so what about the solution to the problem because there is a strong consensus that FF is costing us games... Pundits and fans alike can see it...

But that was last year ????

This year he has been pants.... Let's face it he has so what about the solution to the problem because there is a strong consensus that FF is costing us games... Pundits and fans alike can see it...

But what was the alternative? (Before January)

Heh, Hojbjerg will have to spurn a lot more golden shooting opportunities before he even gets close to Davis in the not-being-able-to-finish-for-**** stakes. For what it's worth, Hoj also runs with the ball a hell of a lot more effectively than Davis, and actually has the close control (and bravery) to beat a man. If we're sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see him given a run of games starting with Romeu to build back some of the confidence that seems to have eroded since the start of the season.

Funny that you consistently claim not to be anti-Davis, just that people overrate him, and then you post this.

I have seen glimpses of Hojbjerg that suggest he has a lot more to offer and can be an excellent player, but not sure there has been much (or any) evidence to support what you assert.

Funny that you consistently claim not to be anti-Davis, just that people overrate him, and then you post this.

I have seen glimpses of Hojbjerg that suggest he has a lot more to offer and can be an excellent player, but not sure there has been much (or any) evidence to support what you assert.

I'm not anti-Davis, I'm just anti-other players getting criticism that he seems to be immune from. Hojbjerg has boomed over maybe five wayward shots all season, so, as I said, he still has a long way to go before he's challenging Davis for the title of most disappointing long-range shooter at the club. As for the close control and running, that's based on the glimpses you mention. It's not as if Davis has spent the season surging through opposition midfields with a combination of pace and trickery, so lets just say on the few occasions when both have been in tight situations, or have had the opportunity to take on opponents and move beyond them, Hoj strikes me as more of a threat than Davis.

I'm not anti-Davis, I'm just anti-other players getting criticism that he seems to be immune from. Hojbjerg has boomed over maybe five wayward shots all season, so, as I said, he still has a long way to go before he's challenging Davis for the title of most disappointing long-range shooter at the club. As for the close control and running, that's based on the glimpses you mention. It's not as if Davis has spent the season surging through opposition midfields with a combination of pace and trickery, so lets just say on the few occasions when both have been in tight situations, or have had the opportunity to take on opponents and move beyond them, Hoj strikes me as more of a threat than Davis.

I would say the glimpses I have seen of Hojbjerg, if I think back to the start of the season, would be his impressive passing, not giving the ball away (which he has been atrocious at recently...), and his 'robust' approach. The latter of which could extend to 'driving runs' but Davis has much better close control, regularly turns out of small spaces and has much more creativity in his passing. Davis is also good at carrying the ball forwards when we counter attack.

Although Hojbjerg's wayward long rangers have been poor, he's also fluffed a few decent chances too. I'd agree that Davis deserves as much if not more criticism for it as he is meant to be more attacking and therefore lack of goal threat is a relevant weakness, but from the evidence so far I'd say Hojbjerg has been at least as bad (though he at least generates some power, could end up being better if harnessed).

I'd agree that Hojbjerg could be better suited to playing as a second DM, but more for his defensive advantages over Davis rather than his attacking threat. If we were to stick with a midfield 3, then we should upgrade Davis and then have him compete/rotate with JWP and PEH for the other midfield spot.

You are anti Davis. Try and support your team. Getting dull. Did he sleep with your wife? I don't get it. None of our players is messi. So just get over it. He is a Southampton player for the foreseeable. Enjoy.[emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have put Long up alongside him let him do all the running Gabbi just hang around the 18 yard area. too late now.

I am not sure why people think Mccarthy was 3rd choice at Palace he wasn't and in the games he played earlier this season looked light years above what we have had lately.

Last season he was second choice, behind Hennessey. This summer Palace signed Mandanda to be their first choice 'keeper (which he was until he got injured) making Hennessey second choice and McCarthy third choice. Hence, we signed Palace's third choice 'keeper. I would have much preferred us to have signed Hennessey, or Randolph from West Ham - both of whom started the season as second choice 'keepers in teams whom we finished above last season and who were not competing in Europe; both eminently doable imo.

As for the match tomorrow, I am expecting yet another draw with Watford anywhere from 0-0 to 2-2.

Whoever said Stephens was injured and on crutches is wrong, he's training and in the training pics put up today https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-03-01/gallery-southampton-training-march-1

Bloody hell, never seen a more downbeat bunch of players. Looks like they've taken defeat badly.

Heart says we'll win this one 2-0 but head tells me to be sensible. A drab performance and a 2-0 or 3-1 defeat beckons.

Think we'd rather see him get through a full 90 for the under 23s first.

I wonder if he will actually be a nailed on starter between now and the end of the season.

Reason being, we are comfortable mid table due to the win at Sunderland and Stephens is generally doing ok, he has obvious potential and will benefit massively from his minutes in the first team.

I doubt Caceres is a long term player for us so you could argue what value is there in getting him fit for someone else at the expense of improving an Academy player who may have the ability to be a decent PL player for us for a few years?

That said, its a results game and if Stephens drops his level and is then replaced he can have no complaints. But IMO he has been decent against Sunderland and United and doesn't really deserve to be dropped just yet, especially for a player on a short term contract who isn't match fit.

Thats the difference between Saints, who trust and give a chance to young players, versus a few other sides in the PL who would probably have thrown Caceres in as a soon as he was available.

Bloody hell, never seen a more downbeat bunch of players. Looks like they've taken defeat badly.

Heart says we'll win this one 2-0 but head tells me to be sensible. A drab performance and a 2-0 or 3-1 defeat beckons.

You spend the day out in the cold rain and see it you're beaming haha !

I wonder if he will actually be a nailed on starter between now and the end of the season.

Reason being, we are comfortable mid table due to the win at Sunderland and Stephens is generally doing ok, he has obvious potential and will benefit massively from his minutes in the first team.

I doubt Caceres is a long term player for us so you could argue what value is there in getting him fit for someone else at the expense of improving an Academy player who may have the ability to be a decent PL player for us for a few years?

That said, its a results game and if Stephens drops his level and is then replaced he can have no complaints. But IMO he has been decent against Sunderland and United and doesn't really deserve to be dropped just yet, especially for a player on a short term contract who isn't match fit.

Thats the difference between Saints, who trust and give a chance to young players, versus a few other sides in the PL who would probably have thrown Caceres in as a soon as he was available.

I would agree with all that.

Perhaps they are taking training seriously and not laughing and joking.. Just a thought

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Has it been explained why Gabbi was taken off?

We have a manager who seems a lovely guy but also completely bonkers. It was a shocking decision and one factor which hugely contributed to us losing the game ultimately. I doubt the club will come out and explain that though.

Edited by niceandfriendly