Watford vs. Southampton build up

Pass the Dutchie

I wonder if he will actually be a nailed on starter between now and the end of the season.

Reason being, we are comfortable mid table due to the win at Sunderland and Stephens is generally doing ok, he has obvious potential and will benefit massively from his minutes in the first team.

I doubt Caceres is a long term player for us so you could argue what value is there in getting him fit for someone else at the expense of improving an Academy player who may have the ability to be a decent PL player for us for a few years?

That said, its a results game and if Stephens drops his level and is then replaced he can have no complaints. But IMO he has been decent against Sunderland and United and doesn't really deserve to be dropped just yet, especially for a player on a short term contract who isn't match fit.

Thats the difference between Saints, who trust and give a chance to young players, versus a few other sides in the PL who would probably have thrown Caceres in as a soon as he was available.

I can't agree about United. He went walkabout for their second and third. But I will agree that he would benefit from the experience in the long run. I'd like us to get another couple of wins as soon as possible and then we can experiment with the team over the rest of the season.

For the money they're on I'd be ******** delighted to be out in the rain!

Dear me. Bizarre on so many levels. Footballers don't think "I hate this weather, but I better be happy because I'm paid a lot". And who knows, maybe they are all delighted, it's just hard to show it while you've got wind and rain blowing in your face.

I can't agree about United. He went walkabout for their second and third. But I will agree that he would benefit from the experience in the long run. I'd like us to get another couple of wins as soon as possible and then we can experiment with the team over the rest of the season.

"Walkabout" is a bit unfair, even if he was caught out. If I recall correctly, the run of Martial dragged Stephens out of position which gave Lingard a lot of space. I'd say Romeu was more at fault than anyone else (though others, like Davis, were also culpable of switching off). The third goal was more an inability to track/pick up Ibrahimovic. Stephens was in the right area, just lacked awareness of the runs around him. Still his fault, but not quite as clear cut as I thought it would be before I watched the highlights.

His distribution needs some work. He seems comfortable enough on the ball, but often fails to execute lofted passes, it's left us vulnerable to a break and has happened a few times in recent games. We have been spoilt with Virgil in that regard though!

Dear me. Bizarre on so many levels. Footballers don't think "I hate this weather, but I better be happy because I'm paid a lot". And who knows, maybe they are all delighted, it's just hard to show it while you've got wind and rain blowing in your face.

Dear you, Yes, maybe they are. Maybe they are. :) Love this place, bizarre on so many levels.

"Walkabout" is a bit unfair, even if he was caught out. If I recall correctly, the run of Martial dragged Stephens out of position which gave Lingard a lot of space. I'd say Romeu was more at fault than anyone else (though others, like Davis, were also culpable of switching off). The third goal was more an inability to track/pick up Ibrahimovic. Stephens was in the right area, just lacked awareness of the runs around him. Still his fault, but not quite as clear cut as I thought it would be before I watched the highlights.

His distribution needs some work. He seems comfortable enough on the ball, but often fails to execute lofted passes, it's left us vulnerable to a break and has happened a few times in recent games. We have been spoilt with Virgil in that regard though!

'Walkabout' is a bit extreme but he and Yoshida shold be joined by a bit of elastic five yards long. Their second goal wasn't his fault alone, indeed I think Yoshida could have made more of a nuisance of himself. The third was analysed on Monday Night Football.At the time I was infuriated bythe amount of space that Ibrahimovic had for his header. Their analysis showed that Stephens had got back to the correct position bu then got drawn forward to the edge of our box. Ibrahimovic then glances over his right sholder and backpedals into the gap and is unmarked when the cross comes in. The result is what happens when you let top class playes have too much time and space.

'Walkabout' is a bit extreme but he and Yoshida shold be joined by a bit of elastic five yards long. Their second goal wasn't his fault alone, indeed I think Yoshida could have made more of a nuisance of himself. The third was analysed on Monday Night Football.At the time I was infuriated bythe amount of space that Ibrahimovic had for his header. Their analysis showed that Stephens had got back to the correct position bu then got drawn forward to the edge of our box. Ibrahimovic then glances over his right sholder and backpedals into the gap and is unmarked when the cross comes in. The result is what happens when you let top class playes have too much time and space.

Fair enough, I didn't see MNF, only the highlights on Channel 5. Hard to recall it perfectly from memory, though I agree he was caught out. Agree that Yoshida was slow to get out for the second as well, though it really stemmed from Romeu's positioning... going off on a tangent, for all his excellence, he does struggle positioning-wise when he's facing his own goal. Players get in behind him and he is slow to pick them up.

Fair enough, I didn't see MNF, only the highlights on Channel 5. Hard to recall it perfectly from memory, though I agree he was caught out. Agree that Yoshida was slow to get out for the second as well, though it really stemmed from Romeu's positioning... going off on a tangent, for all his excellence, he does struggle positioning-wise when he's facing his own goal. Players get in behind him and he is slow to pick them up.

It's a team game and I don't want to single anybody out for blame. It is unbelievably fast out there on the pitch and the players only have a fraction of a second to make a decision. This is why they have to practice and practice and practice until their positioning and actions are automatic and instinctive. It's not fair to expect too much from a defensive partnership after only a handful of games.

It's a balance between aiming for 10th place which will squeeze us into the top half of the table (and make us more interesting for would be transfers in) and nurturing our up and coming talent. I would favour Stephens being given some game time each match. Martin is going to be tested in the under 23's meanwhile and I don't think he should be given priority over Stephens. (But one never knows. In the long run Caceres could surprise us.)

I'm concerned that players, supporters and media may slump into thinking mid-table doesn't matter for Southampton. We are not even at 40 points yet. Malaise is dangerous. League position is important.

Funny how only last year when Forster returned from injury he lifted the whole team, as his form a year ago was brilliant. Anyone remember that?

He didn't lift the team though, did he? He barely had a shot to save for about 10 matches with the exception of Arsenal away.

It's a team game and I don't want to single anybody out for blame. It is unbelievably fast out there on the pitch and the players only have a fraction of a second to make a decision. This is why they have to practice and practice and practice until their positioning and actions are automatic and instinctive. It's not fair to expect too much from a defensive partnership after only a handful of games.

Well quite, we know that Stephens is inexperienced and it's possible he might just not be good enough (hopefully he will be), can't really blame players for that. Equally, Romeu has been superb all year, seems a fantastic character, and even had a good game in the final, but I see the forum as a way to discuss the team or individual weaknesses and what they could be better at.

He didn't lift the team though, did he? He barely had a shot to save for about 10 matches with the exception of Arsenal away.

Fraser didn't have too many saves to make, that's true, but it was astonishing how the morale of the team jumped when he returned, following some calamitous keeping when he was injured. Do you think that was a coincidence?

Fraser didn't have too many saves to make, that's true, but it was astonishing how the morale of the team jumped when he returned, following some calamitous keeping when he was injured. Do you think that was a coincidence?

Pony, Stek was OK, certainly not "calamitous". Never made a mistake as bad as Forster did at palace.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

He didn't save much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I guess the point is Stekelenburg was signed as back up, so many were forgiving of him not being the best keeper in the world. When Forster returned the defence seemed more confident and Forster did a good job of organising them - I remember the Arsenal game being able to hear him bellowing instructions. That seems to have been lost along with his ability to make saves, his ability to command the area despite his size, and his ability to come off his line quickly (if he ever had this in the first place).