The white kit

Patrick Bateman

I should leave this to people who really care about kits ...

But am I the only one who really loved watching us play in a white shirt with the red shorts?? I thought it looked really good and infinitely preferable to stripes ...

Nope, I'm with you! it's one of the best saints kits I can remember.

Personally, i'm not a fan of stripes.. would much prefer us to adopt the red sash or the reverse Ajax style.

Nope, I'm with you! it's one of the best saints kits I can remember.

Personally, i'm not a fan of stripes.. would much prefer us to adopt the red sash or the reverse Ajax style.

Me too. I agreed with Cortese, the stripes are synonymous with "struggling Saints". Shame the red kit he brought in was awful though! Sash or xerox quality kits.

But am I the only one who really loved watching us play in a white shirt with the red shorts?? I thought it looked really good and infinitely preferable to stripes ...

I'm not particularly keen on the white/red/white kit, as I think it has too much red for an alternative strip, but that doesn't mean I don't really really want one. EFL rules meant we couldn't have played in all white even if we'd wanted to though.

I'd like to see a white/grey/white or all white tbh - but I think 4 different pairs of outfield shorts in a season is a bit silly (but hardly unprecedented). They should still make commemorative replicas with EFL Cup Final printing and numbers, they'd sell loads even though we lost. Or of course they COULD just use the white one for an away shirt next season and sell it then, we've got 6 years left with UA after all.

As for it as an alternative to the stripes, nopenopenope, not even this season's relatively ugly stripes.

Agree 100%.

Looks much slicker than the old fashioned stripes. Thought when we played Bournemouth as well.

I like the '80s style wide white centre panel design as it is more unusual than common-or-garden red'n'white stripes that other teams (eg. Stoke, Sunderland, etc) use.

Plain white is a good 2nd or 3rd kit choice, with black as the alternative (have we sold more black shirts than the previous yellow or bright Green shirts)

They have to be a different colour to the opposition.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I read "EFL rules meant we couldn't have played in all white even if we'd wanted to though." I thought there was some rule about not playing in all white, maybe darren2 did as well. But I'm guessing you mean we couldn't because our white shorts would clash with United's white shorts?

Unless we went for the Xerox/Florida style, I don't want us to move away from the stripes. I love them. I'm not a fan of the white bib/bra on this year's kit but I think the stripes look smart.

White kit is much better than the black one though.

I think if we're going to have one away kit, surely it's got to be something which stands out from all the home kits. Yellow, green and blue have all worked well in the past, although I do like the white third kit.

Generally yellow is good, but I loved our navy muvi kit from a couple of seasons ago.

That white kit is one of the best I've seen in my lifetime.

It looks smart but it is just a blank shirt, really not much to it!

I'd be happy to have it as our away, but then I've always found it strange when a team has an away kit that is the same colour as at least part of the home strip...

It looks smart but it is just a blank shirt, really not much to it!

I'd be happy to have it as our away, but then I've always found it strange when a team has an away kit that is the same colour as at least part of the home strip...

Coupled with the red shorts and socks it looks brilliant to me.

I think if we're going to have one away kit, surely it's got to be something which stands out from all the home kits. Yellow, green and blue have all worked well in the past, although I do like the white third kit.

You would think so wouldn't you? It is not difficult to pick a colour that is completely different and will not clash with the home side's kit. There shouldn't be the need for a third strip (unless it is a one off special occasion).

You would think so wouldn't you? It is not difficult to pick a colour that is completely different and will not clash with the home side's kit. There shouldn't be the need for a third strip (unless it is a one off special occasion).

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding patterns and colours.

For example this season's kits clashed with Bompey and I'd imagine also Newcastle should we play them.

Not sure what we will wear at West Brom this year, have to assume it will be the grey away kit, although it's fairly close to their navy stripes. (We wore green there last year, they worse their away kit t St Mary's this year)

I still struggle to get the logic behind making us wear a 3rd kit that was essentially the same colours as Utd but in reverse. I understand that the black socks of our away kit would have clashed with the black socks of Utd, but why couldn't we have worn the shirt and shorts of the away kit, with the red socks of the home kit? From where we were sat up in tier 3, it would have been much easier to tell the teams apart.

It seemed to me that having both sets of fans in red and white took something away from the occasion. I didn't go to Cardiff in 03, but watching it on TV and seeing half the ground swathed in yellow was amazing. For any neutral watching on sunday, it would have been difficult to tell which were the Utd fans and which were the Saints fans.

And why is it that Utd got to wear their home kit when we were the first team to qualify for the final?

From where I was sat in Tier 5, and with my poor eye sight, I had no problems what so ever in distinguishing the teams.

As for both sets of fans in red and white, I'm sorry, but from my vantage point, Manc seemed to be in the standard uniform of the football supporter (ie black) while we were red & white. From block 528, the contrast of where our supporters finished and their's began, was very clear and easy to define.

As for Man U being the home team, nothing to do with who qualified first.

I still struggle to get the logic behind making us wear a 3rd kit that was essentially the same colours as Utd but in reverse. I understand that the black socks of our away kit would have clashed with the black socks of Utd, but why couldn't we have worn the shirt and shorts of the away kit, with the red socks of the home kit? From where we were sat up in tier 3, it would have been much easier to tell the teams apart.

It seemed to me that having both sets of fans in red and white took something away from the occasion. I didn't go to Cardiff in 03, but watching it on TV and seeing half the ground swathed in yellow was amazing. For any neutral watching on sunday, it would have been difficult to tell which were the Utd fans and which were the Saints fans.

And why is it that Utd got to wear their home kit when we were the first team to qualify for the final?

I believe the players requested to play in the white strip.

When I read "EFL rules meant we couldn't have played in all white even if we'd wanted to though." I thought there was some rule about not playing in all white, maybe darren2 did as well. But I'm guessing you mean we couldn't because our white shorts would clash with United's white shorts?

Ah, I see. No, you have interpreted my meaning correctly. Obviously shirt clashes are bad at any time, sock clashes are difficult for things like throw ins, so they're generally against the "kit rules" too, but the Prem has different regulations to FA Cup and EFL Cup games regarding shorts, which as you correctly identified means that we couldn't have worn white shorts against Man U as they were the home team and also wore white shorts. Not a problem in the Premier League - and I've long been of the belief that a team playing in (for instance) white/blue/white against a team in blue/white/blue is more of a clash issue than all white v blue/white/blue - at least with the latter option team A can pick out the all white, and team B can look for blue - what do players do at a quick glance in the first situation?

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding patterns and colours.

For example this season's kits clashed with Bompey and I'd imagine also Newcastle should we play them.

Not sure what we will wear at West Brom this year, have to assume it will be the grey away kit, although it's fairly close to their navy stripes. (We wore green there last year, they worse their away kit t St Mary's this year)

Basically the teams submit their (minimum two) full kits to the Premier League before the season starts, some poor sod then goes through approving kit combinations, the clubs will also say if they plan on changing, Sky occasionally get involved (as they did with Saints away to Newcastle and Saints away to Bournemouth, both times we created a third kit which didn't exist) to make sure it's clear for the poor saps watching at home, and overall the referee has the final say and can make anyone change if he thinks there's an issue.

Clubs are also allowed one "special" kit to be approved in advance and can be worn once a season which is usually used to promote the following season's kit in the last game, but sometimes allows for things like the Man U Munich shirts or Bolton's awful red/white/navy striped kit that everyone's forgotten.

There are a few other things like using the Prem shirt numbers, and adverts (you can have one, of a particular maximum area) - from next season additional adverts will be allowed on Prem shirts - I *think* there will only be one Premier League sleeve patch going forward. In addition, no striped backs in the Prem for anyone next season, and they'll probably have a new name and number font in line with their new branding this season (teams had already launched shirts and done shirt printing this year before the rebrand so they stuck with the old style).

In the Europa League, there are REALLY stringent regulations about numbers on shirts and the backs having sufficient contrast to the numbers, and a load of regulations about brightness and a ton of other stuff that even I don't care about but which are on a pdf on the UEFA website. They also only allow smaller shirt ads than the Premier League which is another difference.

We'll probably wear black at West Brom, they only have navy stripes on the front and all-white shirt back. Shorts and socks don't clash either, it'll basically be all white with a bit of navy against black/grey/black - or maybe we wear the home shirts and socks with the alternate red shorts so it's easier to tell. Predominantly white v almost all red should be fine - they occasionally change shorts in the Premier League for clarity, but the FA Cup/EFL Cup actually prohibits a shorts clash.

From where I was sat in Tier 5, and with my poor eye sight, I had no problems what so ever in distinguishing the teams.

As for both sets of fans in red and white, I'm sorry, but from my vantage point, Manc seemed to be in the standard uniform of the football supporter (ie black) while we were red & white. From block 528, the contrast of where our supporters finished and their's began, was very clear and easy to define.

As for Man U being the home team, nothing to do with who qualified first.

Yeah, the ground was clearly split between "free red and white scarves and cheap kit we're not wearing in megastore" vs "miserable Northerners in dark coats with smattering of team colours".

Ah, I see. No, you have interpreted my meaning correctly. Obviously shirt clashes are bad at any time, sock clashes are difficult for things like throw ins, so they're generally against the "kit rules" too, but the Prem has different regulations to FA Cup and EFL Cup games regarding shorts, which as you correctly identified means that we couldn't have worn white shorts against Man U as they were the home team and also wore white shorts. Not a problem in the Premier League - and I've long been of the belief that a team playing in (for instance) white/blue/white against a team in blue/white/blue is more of a clash issue than all white v blue/white/blue - at least with the latter option team A can pick out the all white, and team B can look for blue - what do players do at a quick glance in the first situation?

Yes when we had the "All white" away kit a coupe of seasons ago we were only allowed to wear it once (I think V Liverpool) due to it being all white. We wore our 3rd kit for almost every other away game.... Even Utd change their shorts from black to white depending on who they play.

I believe the players requested to play in the white strip.

I think this was the official line given by the club.

I hope the club have learnt a valuable lesson here - don't allow the kit manufacturer to foist a (second) kit on us, that when it matters, we're too embarrassed to have to wear it in a cup final.

Where did you hear this rumour?

I phoned the club shop the day after it was announced we were wearing white at Wembley. I asked if there were any plans to make the white kit available. She said 'No, but we've had loads of calls and the players requested to wear it at Wembley, so it's being considered as the away kit for next season. If we win I think there's a very good chance it'll be released'.

I just wondered if anybody else had been told anything similar?