JWP on the right

doggface

A big positive for me over the last 2 games has been JWP performing well on the right of a 4-2-3-1.

He lacks pace & a trick, but is playing a little narrower than a true winger.

2 great assists & numerous great crosses, dead balls looking a big threat again.

Has he finally found his best position?

Possibly, he's definitely played a lot better recently. However I am still a little unsure of his natural attributes - covers the ground so slowly and even mentally seems a bit pedestrian at times. It was his dawdling on the ball when on the attack that eventually lead to their second goal. I also remember him tracking back and making a really good challenge to dispossess a United player, only to play a dreadful ball towards the left which rather than setting up Redmond (or maybe Bertrand) for a run at goal, ended up giving Valencia chance to scamper away on the break.

Possibly, he's definitely played a lot better recently. However I am still a little unsure of his natural attributes - covers the ground so slowly and even mentally seems a bit pedestrian at times. It was his dawdling on the ball when on the attack that eventually lead to their second goal. I also remember him tracking back and making a really good challenge to dispossess a United player, only to play a dreadful ball towards the left which rather than setting up Redmond (or maybe Bertrand) for a run at goal, ended up giving Valencia chance to scamper away on the break.

He was awesome in this game, constant threat with good crossings, good shooting, good passing. Even a world class player makes a few mistakes every game.

I think its time for people to get off JWP:s back for a bit now..

Important time for Ward-Prowse coming up. Now we are going to be able to train all week it will be interesting to see how much of an influence Puel's reported skills of developing players pans out. If JWP does not continue to improve and be a be a big influence in midfield by the end of the season, I don't think he ever will!

I likewise think he has improved in the last few games but the Jury is still out as far as I am concerned. I so wish he does make the grade.

He was awesome in this game, constant threat with good crossings, good shooting, good passing. Even a world class player makes a few mistakes every game.

I think its time for people to get off JWP:s back for a bit now..

Fine as an argument for not focusing on one or two mistakes, but my concern about how slow he is remains. Also I was hardly getting on his back, just providing a counter argument for why one or two good games doesn't mean he's suddenly brilliant. I thought he was excellent at home to Inter, for example, but he then put in several terrible performances over the next few weeks.

Fine as an argument for not focusing on one or two mistakes, but my concern about how slow he is remains. Also I was hardly getting on his back, just providing a counter argument for why one or two good games doesn't mean he's suddenly brilliant. I thought he was excellent at home to Inter, for example, but he then put in several terrible performances over the next few weeks.

I agree with you, there are still a lot of limitations in his general play that by and large cancel out much of the good things so you end up with an average player who looks more like journeyman than a real talent in the same mold as Henderson & Berkley. He still cannot tackle effectively or cleanly after well over 100 odd games and still falls back too often on the very simple 5-yard off-load pass to a nearby team mate or a back pass to the CBs both of which stall our forward thrust and as often as not leave our strikers running into off side positions. For me he is no more than an off-the-bench player not a first team regular but all the time Les is at the helm we'll be stuck with the Academy boys mentality that he has instilled in Puel.

You've got to ask what Clasie & Hojberg have done wrong to always be behind WP these days and hardly get a game. They must be mightily ****ed off!

I like him on the right. Has looked more positive in the last couple of games and has shown he can put some great balls in from open play as well as from set plays. Hope he gets a run in side now in this position as think he can link up well with gabba's movement.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I like him on the right. Has looked more positive in the last couple of games and has shown he can put some great balls in from open play as well as from set plays. Hope he gets a run in side now in this position as think he can link up well with gabba's movement.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just as important, it lets Cedric get forward as JWP is never going to get too gung-ho or caught out of position.

We missed JWP when he was injured, which is something I never thought I'd say. He'd be in my starting XI. He's definitely been more aggressive in the tackle recently too, and moves the ball well enough to mostly make up for his lack of pace.

You've got to ask what Clasie & Hojberg have done wrong to always be behind WP these days and hardly get a game. They must be mightily ****ed off!

I would flip that around and say what on earth have Clasie & Hojbjerg done in their appearances to get ahead of JWP in the pecking order at present?

JWPs performances in last 2 games have fully justified his selection so not sure what your problem is? As others have said, let's hope he can kick on now and keep up this level more consistently.

I think people are still viewing JWP this season through the lens of prior seasons. His performances this season have been much improved from last season - in virtually every statistical category (passing percentage, passes per game, distance per game, tackles, chances created, interceptions even aerial duels won).

He deserves his place and he's going to be an excellent player for us for years. To think that he's still only 22 is pretty incredible. I like him in a central role personally but in the formation and style Puel plays it gives him the opportunity to make runs into those inside right channels where he's able to put in some great crosses. For me, he's a definite starter ahead of Clasie and Hojbjerg.

I would flip that around and say what on earth have Clasie & Hojbjerg done in their appearances to get ahead of JWP in the pecking order at present?

JWPs performances in last 2 games have fully justified his selection so not sure what your problem is? As others have said, let's hope he can kick on now and keep up this level more consistently.

I agree, many of JWP's criticisms are based are round his physical attributes, which Clasie doesn't offer anything more in terms of. But Clasie doesn't have the final ball that JWP (sometimes) offers.

A big positive for me over the last 2 games has been JWP performing well on the right of a 4-2-3-1.

He lacks pace & a trick, but is playing a little narrower than a true winger.

2 great assists & numerous great crosses, dead balls looking a big threat again.

Has he finally found his best position?

The new David Beckham :)

I agree with you, there are still a lot of limitations in his general play that by and large cancel out much of the good things so you end up with an average player who looks more like journeyman than a real talent in the same mold as Henderson & Berkley. He still cannot tackle effectively or cleanly after well over 100 odd games and still falls back too often on the very simple 5-yard off-load pass to a nearby team mate or a back pass to the CBs both of which stall our forward thrust and as often as not leave our strikers running into off side positions. For me he is no more than an off-the-bench player not a first team regular but all the time Les is at the helm we'll be stuck with the Academy boys mentality that he has instilled in Puel.

Finally some sense!. Can anyone tell me how many goals he has scored with his wonderful fantastic unbelievable free kick ability? He has scored 6 goals in 6 years. That's complete pants, factually. Not Prem standard and utterly over-hyped. He has been about to kick on, according to the ever hopefuls on Saints forums, for 6 years. Own up and admit he is just ordinary. He won't be replaced until Reed goes though.

I seem to remember a certain England captain who couldn't beat a man with pace or trickery, was very lightweight, and couldn't tackle either, but he still managed to carve out a very successful career for himself by having the ability to ping in excellent crosses from the right wing.

Just saying ;)

yeah agree with this, not been his biggest fan but looks like he has adopted the beckham role out right and is there to purely ping crosses in for the others to feed off.

Would like to see redmond (or tadic) and boufal and gabbi though against Watford to see what they can do.

I seem to remember a certain England captain who couldn't beat a man with pace or trickery, was very lightweight, and couldn't tackle either, but he still managed to carve out a very successful career for himself by having the ability to ping in excellent crosses from the right wing.

Just saying ;)

Hopefully JWP will prove to be an excellent crosser of the ball. Until recently one of the things that has surprised me about his game is that given his ability (ok it is overhyped but still good) with a dead ball, he isn't particularly good at striking a moving one, whether it be long passing, crossing or shooting.

Because neither of them are better than JWP and certainly cannot deliver the ball the way that he can.

Had a very good game, one or two lapses of concentration aside. However, I think he was really helped by the tempo of our play, which created space for him out wide that wouldn't have been there if we'd been employing the same intensity as earlier in the season. Swift transition coupled with Redmond and Tadic drifting across the width of the box dragged the fullbacks in-field quite a few times creating space for JWP (and Cedric) to wind up crosses.

Depends on his mood imo, when he shows a bit of aggression to his game he plays well and I thought was better than the most expensive player in the world (who also happens to play in a very similar position) on Sunday !

Anybody who thinks JWP hasn't kicked on this season is blind.

Right in a 4-2-3-1 is perfect for him with the speed of Cedric.

He's an exceptional player and now very highly regarded in the game.

First England cap is just around the corner.

Ditto