Match officials' mistakes.

Professor

In January, when his team lost 2-1 at Hull, Jose Mourinho claimed that the real score was 1-1 because he considered one Hull goal to be illegitimate. Legitimacy of goals was, of course, an issue in the EFL final after which Mourinho was reported as saying that the game should have gone into extra time. Although he was saying that a draw would have been a fair result he only talked about it being unfortunate that the 3rd Man U goal came too late in the game for a Southampton reply. What he failed to admit was the real reason there should have been extra time; that Southampton had scored three legitimate goals, with one wrongly disallowed.

The issue here isn't about a manager's view but how it is that the officials can make catastrophic errors in a cup final and nothing can be done about it. After teams have fought their way through a knock-out competition it really isn't acceptable for the final outcome to be decided on a linesman's error. In this case, an error magnified by the failure of the referee to see the mistake his assistant had made.

Claude Puel has suggested video technology and even though there might be issues about having to pause the game, perhaps that is a worthwhile price to reduce bad decisions. But perhaps the authorities should consider games being replayed where officials have made a game-changing error or failed to spot cheating that changed the outcome of the game.

After the EFL final was so comprehensively affected by the incorrect disallowing of a perfectly good goal, we have been told we should just accept it. I'm sure a lot of people feel that's not good enough. We shouldn't have to accept that a whole competition and a club's participation in European competition next season, can be decided by an official's error. It should be possible for something to be done about it.

It would be nice if the officials actually came out and apologised.The decision had a major impact on the result, it was a major mistake that effected a lot of people.Wayne Shaw lost his job eating a pasty, what will happen to the linesman ?

Well absolutely chuff all has been done about Stuart Burts huge error, nor Marriners. If you choose to watch (which might be the case as the weather on Sunday afternoon is not looking clever) you can see him in action running the line in the Live Tottingham v Everton game, then you can enjoy the trill of Andre "perma-tan" Mariners whistle on MNF when he officiates West Ham v Chelsea.

But then with Mike Riley at the helm of PGMOB that is hardly a surprise.

They'll get there eventually, but only when the incompetence of the officials' decisions go against one or more of the glory clubs. As MLT says, had it been the other way around, I'm sure that Mr Burt would have kept his flag down, but had Man United gone on to have lost the Final because of a wrong major decision, not only would their manager and fans have been baying for changes to the decision making process by the introduction of video technology, but also the clamour for it from the media would also be deafening.

There have been seismic consequences for many years of incorrect refereeing decisions resulting in upsets in important matches, Maradonna's "Hand of God", Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany being two of the most notable. The Lampard goal resulted in Goal line technology, but that was some years ago now and with the advances in technology, there really is no reason or excuse for video evidence not to be used now.

As I say, some dodgy decisions affecting glory clubs in major Cup final matches either at home or in Europe would be the best route to the eventual changes necessary to bring the game into the 21st Century.

Liked the comments showing that the present situation isn't good enough, especially like what Old Nick said about there being no apology. Perhaps someone in the know will tell us if officials are even allowed to say sorry. Do we know if there are any sanctions against bad refereeing other than what games they get selected for. If officials did have to make public apologies for obvious, game-changing, errors, maybe that would be a deterrent causing them to take more care. I agree that if this had been the other way around and it had been a United goal that was disallowed, the media would be all over it now.

Well absolutely chuff all has been done about Stuart Burts huge error, nor Marriners. If you choose to watch (which might be the case as the weather on Sunday afternoon is not looking clever) you can see him in action running the line in the Live Tottingham v Everton game, then you can enjoy the trill of Andre "perma-tan" Mariners whistle on MNF when he officiates West Ham v Chelsea.

But then with Mike Riley at the helm of PGMOB that is hardly a surprise.

Who gave a penalty against Saints v MU in the cup when a free kick hit a head in the wall.

The club should sue the EFL for loss of income from Europa League football, and to compensate for some of our players leaving due to lack of European football and the inabilty for us to sign decent players due to not being in Europe next season. £50-£100 million? I'm not even joking. Still bloody fuming

I don't think retrospective action for on-field decisions is possible at the moment, much though I'd like there to be some form of justice served here. And who's to say Utd wouldn't have been fired up by conceding an early goal and thumped us 5-1? Like City v Huddersfield in the FA Cup last night.

However, I seem to remember someone once mentioned the idea of captains having, say, a couple of referrals during the match (like the DRS in cricket). Referees could also have video referrals introduced. Surely we have the technology now!

Admittedly, sports like rugby and cricket are more stop-start, with natural gaps in play when referrals can take place, but surely football could introduce something similar. It's not like there aren't pauses in play for corners, goal kicks, substitutions, etc.

I don't think retrospective action for on-field decisions is possible at the moment, much though I'd like there to be some form of justice served here. And who's to say Utd wouldn't have been fired up by conceding an early goal and thumped us 5-1? Like City v Huddersfield in the FA Cup last night.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that way, some of the opinions of injustice over the offside decision are borderline scouse self pity levels.

Yes the lino made a big mistake and I'd like to think he'll get demoted for a few games as punishment but let's be honest here, us going 1-0 might have caused us to sit back and try to defend the lead and we could have ended up on the end of a hammering, we'll never know.

What we do know though is that it wasn't the Lino that gave away a silly free kick 25 yards out for zlatan to score from, nor was it the Lino that gave Lingard all the time and space in the world to pick his spot for the second and finally it wasn't the Lino that failed to mark Zlatan and give him a free header 8 yards out for the third.

The club should sue the EFL for loss of income from Europa League football, and to compensate for some of our players leaving due to lack of European football and the inabilty for us to sign decent players due to not being in Europe next season. £50-£100 million? I'm not even joking. Still bloody fuming

If it's any comfort it could've been worse. If the score had been 2-2 at full-time, and we lost in extra time (or penalties) we could claim that the decision cost us the cup (well ignoring the butterfly effect, anyway). As it is, the disallowed goal cost us extra time, which may or may not have gone our way.

Don't think anyone believes the score should have been 3-3. If we'd gone one up the whole game would have been different.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that way, some of the opinions of injustice over the offside decision are borderline scouse self pity levels.

Yes the lino made a big mistake and I'd like to think he'll get demoted for a few games as punishment but let's be honest here, us going 1-0 might have caused us to sit back and try to defend the lead and we could have ended up on the end of a hammering, we'll never know.

What we do know though is that it wasn't the Lino that gave away a silly free kick 25 yards out for zlatan to score from, nor was it the Lino that gave Lingard all the time and space in the world to pick his spot for the second and finally it wasn't the Lino that failed to mark Zlatan and give him a free header 8 yards out for the third.

Spot on. But even if the disallowed goal would have been a winner in the last minute, suing the authorities would be incredibly daft.

When I first did my refereeing course it was explained that our decisions would not be actionable. Something about being part of the terms of taking part in the competition.

Jesus, we have some prized plums on here :lol:

I fail to see why another official can't just be mic'ed into the ref and he can take or leave what he is advised. Can't see any downside and may not sort all bad decisions but would certainly eliminate the likes of Sunday's.

The explanation would be simple - the fifth official advised.