Where can we realistically finish this year?

SKD

So with 13 games to go we are 14 points behind 7th place Everton and 10 points behind West Brom in 8th (with a game in hand on them both).

at the other end of the table we are 6 points clear of Leicester & Swansea (15th & 16th) and 8 points ahead of Palace in 18th (again with a game in hand on all 3).

Are remaining fixtures are:

Watford (a)

Tottenham (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Crystal Palace (h)

West Brom (a)

Man City (h)

Chelsea (a)

Hull (h)

Liverpool (a)

Middlesbrough (a)

Stoke (h)

United & Arsenal (h) - dates officially TBC

I reckon we will pick up around 10 - 15 points and end the season 11th.

Personally, if we fail to make top 10 I would regard this season as an unsuccessful one, given our European and FA cup runs.

Edited by SKD

I think top half would - considering the various distractions this season - be both satisfactory and an accurate reflection of our performances. We've been such a "nearly" team this season - a bit of luck here, a top striker signed six months earlier there, and we'd be where Everton are now.

I think top half would - considering the various distractions this season - be both satisfactory and an accurate reflection of our performances. We've been such a "nearly" team this season - a bit of luck here, a top striker signed six months earlier there, and we'd be where Everton are now.

I'd agree with that.

So with 11 games to go we are 14 points behind 7th place Everton and 10 points behind West Brom in 8th (with a game in hand on them both).

at the other end of the table we are 6 points clear of Leicester & Swansea (15th & 16th) and 8 points ahead of Palace in 18th (again with a game in hand on all 3).

Watford (a)

Tottenham (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Crystal Palace (h)

West Brom (a)

Man City (h)

Chelsea (a)

Hull (h)

Liverpool (a)

Middlesbrough (a)

Stoke (h)

Personally, if we fail to make top 10 I would regard this season as an unsuccessful one, given our European and FA cup runs.

Don't forget we also have Arsenal and Man Utd at home to come...

So with 11 games to go we are 14 points behind 7th place Everton and 10 points behind West Brom in 8th (with a game in hand on them both).

Watford (a)

Tottenham (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Crystal Palace (h)

West Brom (a)

Man City (h)

Chelsea (a)

Hull (h)

Liverpool (a)

Middlesbrough (a)

Stoke (h)

Is it 11 games? We've played 25 haven't we so 13 games left have you missed off Man u and Arsenal?

We won't catch WBA or Everton with the number of games left so the answer is "9th".

Next season, I don't see any reason why we can't do better though, as long as we back Puel in the summer in central midfield and central defence.

Teams our size always seem to struggle when they have europe to contend with.

I'm sure I read that Puel said that he was set objectives this season of getting out of the europa group stage, reaching a cup semi final and a top 10 league finish. He missed out on the first, exceeded the second and I still think the third is do able so not a bad season if we achieve the latter.

Is it 11 games? We've played 25 haven't we so 13 games left have you missed off Man u and Arsenal?

Yes, you're right.

A very lazy google of fixtures on my behalf, which obviously hasn't account for United & Arsenal :blush:

Trying to be pessimistic and I've still given us 15-16 points. Seriously could be more. A fit Boufal and Tadic feeding an in form Gabbiadini, a rejuvenated Redmond and Ward-Prowse, a new formation that we've clicked with, and Caceres filling a hole. Not to mention the injured lot to come back like VVD AND more of a gap between games for rest and training. I think we could surprise some big teams like we nearly did on Sunday and shoot up the table.

Started pessimistic and finished optimist. C'est la vie.

9th should be min target and id call this season satisfactory.

yep my expectations have risen and id like to see us become a regular mainstay in that top half/europe every 2 or 3 seasons category.

i can't believe I'm resorting to glasgow terminology here, forgive me in advance please, BUT,

if level 1 was title contenders, level 2 was regular top 6 with occasional top 4 finishes, then we need to be that level 3 club, top half minimum with aim for europe either through league or cup every couple seasons, and we need to consolidate that level for a while.

no point hoping to be level 2+, their turnover/wages astronomical compared to us

Eighth is achievable with West Brom to play, but top half is where we need to be. Seventh would take a proper collapse from Everton, which I can't see happening unless Lukaku gets injured, as well as a surge from ourselves which is far from guaranteed despite Gabbiadini and the end of fixture congestion.

We'll finish 9th or 10th. That, with a cup final will do me this season.

Next season, with the players we have, assuming no sales and a new goalie, we should be pushing for that 6th place and another final (I'm greedy). But definitely pushing for something allowing us a European place for the following season.

I'm predicting a 10th placed finish. Obviously the EFL cup run was fantastic but the European debacle and average performance so far in the league has been disappointing. I do expect us to kick on again next season however (If we keep Van Dijk and add a CM & CB)

Watford (a) - Draw = 1

Tottenham (a) - Loss = 1

Bournemouth (h) = Win = 4

Crystal Palace (h) = Win = 7

West Brom (a) = draw = 8

Man City (h) = Draw = 8

Chelsea (a) = Smashed = 8

Hull (h) = Win = 11

Liverpool (a) = Loss = 11

Middlesbrough (a) = Draw = 12

Stoke (h) = Win = 15

The next two are up for interpretation, but my thoughts are:

United (h) = Win = 18

Arsenal (h) = Win = 21

Think we'll get 9th.

I should add that whilst our attacking problems are solved, our defence is shocking, and all of the above will rely on us being able to defend!!

Trying to be pessimistic and I've still given us 15-16 points. Seriously could be more. A fit Boufal and Tadic feeding an in form Gabbiadini, a rejuvenated Redmond and Ward-Prowse, a new formation that we've clicked with, and Caceres filling a hole. Not to mention the injured lot to come back like VVD AND more of a gap between games for rest and training. I think we could surprise some big teams like we nearly did on Sunday and shoot up the table.

Started pessimistic and finished optimist. C'est la vie.

This. Go for 8th

I dont think he is a particularly good manager.

Really, never noticed... :rolleyes:

But to be honest you dont like anything Saints really do you as you rarely post anything complimentary

I thought you were suggesting Puel would think 14th is great

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Really, never noticed... :rolleyes:

But to be honest you dont like anything Saits really do you as you rarely post anything complimentary

I thought you were suggesting Puel would think 14th is great

he probably will and so will you should that happen

he has the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low grade bank clerk

:D

He wont and nor will i because it will wont happen, we will finish higher much to your disappointment.

His look and chrisma is completely irelevant to his coaching abilities unless you know different of course... :yawn:

Much like you as a sailor grade cooks asssitant :D

14th would be same as first season back and even with a European campaign that would be awful with squad we have compared to the 2012/13 one

I've always said Id take 17th if we won a cup final so I guess I'd take 14th and losing a cup final. Personally outside a european spot and the relegation zone league position is pretty meaningless the mid table sides tend to swap around positions on a season by season basis depending on who has the best luck on injuries and average players finding a bit of form.

Eighth is achievable with West Brom to play, but top half is where we need to be. Seventh would take a proper collapse from Everton, which I can't see happening unless Lukaku gets injured, as well as a surge from ourselves which is far from guaranteed despite Gabbiadini and the end of fixture congestion.

West Brom are an interesting case study in being in a run of utterly ruthless finishing.

This article on F365 from yesterday discusses it: http://www.football365.com/news/west-brom-playing-pulisball-but-with-added-luck

Essentially, they're not doing an awful lot different to previous performances under Pulis, possession is very similar, number of long balls very similar, number of shots on target marginally up (2.8 to 3.3 per game), but the shots-to-goal ratio is up dramatically (8.9% to 13.2%) and the on-target-to-goal ratio is a frankly ludicrous 42.1%. That's unsustainable for any side, really.

12th we have signed the striker some of us were saying we required in the summer. However not replace Fonte in January along with the injury to Van Dijk means our defence is a lot weaker now.

I wonder if Caceres will feature at Watford on Saturday.[h=1][/h]

I'm predicting 21 points and finishing eighth.

I'm not sure people realise how good this team is.

So good that we got knocked out of Europe at the first hurdle, failed to win a cup and will probably finish mid-lower mid table.

On our day we are a very good team, but from what I've seen this year, our day just isn't consistent enough.

I agree with this. Fine margins, and I would add into the mix that Forster's shots to save ratio hasn't helped. But we look a good side I think.

Everton are out of reach I am sure, but catching West Brom is tough but not unrealistic particularly given the fact that we still have them to play.

12th we have signed the striker some of us were saying we required in the summer. However not replace Fonte in January along with the injury to Van Dijk means our defence is a lot weaker now.

I wonder if Caceres will feature at Watford on Saturday.[h=1][/h]

He won't, Puel's putting him out for the U23s first.