• Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadić
    • Redmond
    • Gabbiadini
    • Boufal
    • Long
    • Clasie

Since Stephens came into the side we have conceded 17 goals in 7 matches. Thats over 2 per game (and including the EFL cup semi final clean sheet v Liverpool and a clean sheet against a hopeless Sunderland) . It's obvious that he isn't ready for the Premier League yet and surely a half fit Caceres has to be a better option at present? Maybe we could get away with it if we had a keeper who makes any sort of save, but with Forster and his habit of letting in 90% of the shots he is facing, its putting the dampener on some fantastic attacking play in the last few games.

Meh this seasons a dead rubber so it's a good chance to give our younger players some experience in the PL. Get through to the end of the season get in Ake and keep VVD along with Stephens and Yoshida and we have two good CBs plus two good upcoming ones to step up.

Meh this seasons a dead rubber so it's a good chance to give our younger players some experience in the PL. Get through to the end of the season get in Ake and keep VVD along with Stephens and Yoshida and we have two good CBs plus two good upcoming ones to step up.

do you (or anyone) seriously think VvD will be a Saint next season?

:scared:

Who knows both Morgan and Big Vic stayed a season longer than I expected after the club put their foot down...

you believe a club like saints will turn down £40M+ for a player?

really??

Just cant see it happening

Was always going to be a tough game for Yoshida and Stephens having to deal with the physicality and aerial threat of Deeney and Okaka. Thankfully with the addition of Gabbiadini, our attacking has improved alot. Just wondering how many games earlier in the season we could have won with him in the team. Will be an entertaining end to the season for the fans.

really??

yes he will stay i reckon.

providing theres no release clause, its not as if if we don't take £40m this summer it will be reduced the following.

hes tied down until 2022.

apart from the 2014 sales, all of them left due to contract situation, don't have that with any current player.

Amazing the difference 1 player can make, since we signed Gabi the goals have flowed and all of a sudden our strike force looks really potent. Confidence is a powerful thing.

Personally I'll take this version of Saints over the dour version any day of the week.

Let's hope VVD stays for another season, with this attack and him in defence next season could be a very good one.

While we were playing twice a week, I've defended Puel over squad rotation and his substitutions but I'm beginning to lose faith in him. Thought today's substitutions were wrong in who he took of and in the timing, just as they were at Wembley. For the defence to let in 3 goals against a mid-table side isn't good enough and just because the forwards scored 4 doesn't mean the failings should be overlooked. Stephens has had his chance with a run of games and doesn't look up to this standard. Since Puel claimed that Caceres was looking good in training, how is it he hasn't been given at least half a game to see how he gets on?

Unfortunately, I can't see any club coming in to poach this manager so we are probably stuck with him unless things get really bad. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for the three points but only improving the GD by 1 feels like a lost opportunity.

F

See me after school.

Just can't believe some of the comments here. I was at the match and our defence was always going to have a torrid time against their big, aggressive, bullying players.

In fact it was a great effort, given that Watford kept bombarding us and looking for scraps. The first and third goals certainly came in that way. Maya had a superb game, and I simply do the accept that Stephens was poor. No, he's not VVD, but was a very capable, mature deputy and will keep on improving. Both Ward-Prowse and Davis worked their socks off to break up play and win second balls. Perhaps Cedric was a little below par, but what some posters don't seem to get is, this was a tough physical game. In attack we were sharp and always dangerous.

Brilliant effort for three points.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Since Stephens came into the side we have conceded 17 goals in 7 matches. Thats over 2 per game (and including the EFL cup semi final clean sheet v Liverpool and a clean sheet against a hopeless Sunderland) . It's obvious that he isn't ready for the Premier League yet and surely a half fit Caceres has to be a better option at present? Maybe we could get away with it if we had a keeper who makes any sort of save, but with Forster and his habit of letting in 90% of the shots he is facing, its putting the dampener on some fantastic attacking play in the last few games.

I agree the jury is out on Stephens. However he's got his chance next to Yoshida, not VVD, so those goals conceded stats are a bit harsh on him in my opinion not all his fault.

Great win and good to score four goals for the second away match in a row. Finally in the last few games CP has accepted that we are far more potent playing 4231 as many have been clamouring for all season. It gives us so many more options going forward. Ok, we leaked goals today - maybe Caceres will get a game for the 23s against Chelsea and come into contention and we certainly miss VVD.

Finally CP has a striker who can finish, as many of us have been clamouring for all season.

Caceres has to be given the nod over Stephens in the next game.

Sorry mate but that is complete horse doings, he hasn't played for a year, I trust Claude's judgement on the decision to play young Jack over someone who hasn't played in ages and is very likely to be very ring rusty, Premier League isn't the best place to experiment no matter what is on your CV, Rooney was good once too ages ago.

i would wait until Mondays U23 game v Chelsea to see how he shapes up.

Sorry mate but that is complete horse doings, he hasn't played for a year, I trust Claude's judgement on the decision to play young Jack over someone who hasn't played in ages and is very likely to be very ring rusty, Premier League isn't the best place to experiment no matter what is on your CV, Rooney was good once too ages ago.

i would wait until Mondays U23 game v Chelsea to see how he shapes up.

that game might be good for him too depending on chelsea team!

last time we played the they had batshuayi, terry, fabregas, kurt zouma and other big names in their team!

Just can't believe some of the comments here. I was at the match and our defence was always going to have a torrid time against their big, aggressive, bullying players.

In fact it was a great effort, given that Watford kept bombarding us and looking for scraps. The first and third goals certainly came in that way. Maya had a superb game, and I simply do the accept that Stephens was poor. No, he's not VVD, but was a very capable, mature deputy and will keep on improving. Both Ward-Prowse and Davis worked their socks off to break up play and win second balls. Perhaps Cedric was a little below par, but what some posters don't seem to get is, this was a tough physical game. In attack we were sharp and always dangerous.

Brilliant effort for three points.

Totally agree, I watched it live on a big screen (in Sth Africa) and felt that we did really well !

Don't get the negativity at all !

We are now devastating up front and leaky at the back. In the past three games, we have scored 11 goals, including of course the perfectly good Gabbiadini goal disallowed by the incompetent Mr Burt at Wembley. The upturn in our goal scoring has coincided with the arrival of Gabbiadini, whereas the number of goals conceded recently can be attributed to the loss of two of the best CBs in the PL. We may have got away with not having Fonte, as Yoshida with a run of games has improved steadily, but effectively it is replacing the injured £60 million CB with the raw academy graduate that is costing us. It is entertaining to speculate how much higher up the table we would have been had we signed Gabbiadini earlier, but equally where do you stop when we lost Austin up front ages ago and then such an influential player like V. V-D? Forster has not been anywhere near the player he was last year, but then the defenders in front of him gave him much protection and he wasn't as exposed as he is now. The increased number of shots he now faces has exposed his weaknesses, which are that he doesn't command his area, his positioning is often poor and he doesn't get down well to low shots.

Puel understandably bemoaned the fixture list which had us playing matches so close together earlier on in the season, whilst we now have lots of time between fixtures in March, before a packed April. This might be a blessing in disguise, with Puel able to spend lots of time on the training ground working on tightening the defence, whilst conveniently allowing the injured players to get closer to their returns before too many matches pass them by.

We aren't far away from having a really exciting and formidable team, as our front players now have loads of ability and skill, matched with pace and guile. They are reaching a level of understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses, what to expect in terms of their movement and ability to control a through ball. There isn't much wrong with the midfield, as they seldom give less than 100% and usually are dominant in possession against most teams. Defensively I feel that provided we can keep Bertrand, Cedric, and Yoshida fit, Caceres on paper ought to be the player to bring solidity and composure to the defence. If he can get back to the speed he commanded before his lay off, then actually he is a player we probably couldn't afford to buy. His pedigree is exceptional and if he gets a run of games until V.V-D returns, surely the two of them together would be a formidable pairing.

Do I gather correctly that we are only the second team after Chelsea to have come from behind against Watford this season and gone on to win? Is it also correct that Gabbiadini has set some sort of record for us for number of consecutive goals scored as a debutant?

On the face of it, there isn't much left to play for this season, but I suspect that the players we have aren't the sort to give up trying to get as far up the table as possible. I think that the team spirit must be very strong and optimistic right now. I reckon that even the top teams wouldn't relish playing us at the moment following what we did to Liverpool and United recently.

We are now devastating up front and leaky at the back. In the past three games, we have scored 11 goals, including of course the perfectly good Gabbiadini goal disallowed by the incompetent Mr Burt at Wembley. The upturn in our goal scoring has coincided with the arrival of Gabbiadini, whereas the number of goals conceded recently can be attributed to the loss of two of the best CBs in the PL. We may have got away with not having Fonte, as Yoshida with a run of games has improved steadily, but effectively it is replacing the injured £60 million CB with the raw academy graduate that is costing us. It is entertaining to speculate how much higher up the table we would have been had we signed Gabbiadini earlier, but equally where do you stop when we lost Austin up front ages ago and then such an influential player like V. V-D? Forster has not been anywhere near the player he was last year, but then the defenders in front of him gave him much protection and he wasn't as exposed as he is now. The increased number of shots he now faces has exposed his weaknesses, which are that he doesn't command his area, his positioning is often poor and he doesn't get down well to low shots.

Puel understandably bemoaned the fixture list which had us playing matches so close together earlier on in the season, whilst we now have lots of time between fixtures in March, before a packed April. This might be a blessing in disguise, with Puel able to spend lots of time on the training ground working on tightening the defence, whilst conveniently allowing the injured players to get closer to their returns before too many matches pass them by.

We aren't far away from having a really exciting and formidable team, as our front players now have loads of ability and skill, matched with pace and guile. They are reaching a level of understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses, what to expect in terms of their movement and ability to control a through ball. There isn't much wrong with the midfield, as they seldom give less than 100% and usually are dominant in possession against most teams. Defensively I feel that provided we can keep Bertrand, Cedric, and Yoshida fit, Caceres on paper ought to be the player to bring solidity and composure to the defence. If he can get back to the speed he commanded before his lay off, then actually he is a player we probably couldn't afford to buy. His pedigree is exceptional and if he gets a run of games until V.V-D returns, surely the two of them together would be a formidable pairing.

Do I gather correctly that we are only the second team after Chelsea to have come from behind against Watford this season and gone on to win? Is it also correct that Gabbiadini has set some sort of record for us for number of consecutive goals scored as a debutant?

On the face of it, there isn't much left to play for this season, but I suspect that the players we have aren't the sort to give up trying to get as far up the table as possible. I think that the team spirit must be very strong and optimistic right now. I reckon that even the top teams wouldn't relish playing us at the moment following what we did to Liverpool and United recently.

Good post.

Here's the order you'll see the games in when you tune into Match of the Day tonight at 22:20 GMT on BBC One (23:10 GMT in Scotland):

Liverpool v Arsenal

Swansea v Burnley

Leicester v Hull

Watford v Southampton

Manchester United v Bournemouth

West Brom v Crystal Palace

Stoke v Middlesbrough

bit of a goalfest in the league today

I'm pretty bullish about next season. We get our injured players back, plus we have a lot of other players getting quality time and growing because of the injuries. We should be a deep, strong squad.

You missed out one vital part of the equation, our transfer policy.

Agree with VFTT and Shroppie. We played some very tasty stuff going forward and had them in all sorts of trouble at times. Their only tactic was lumping it to big players to try and take advantage of Stephens' inexperience and Forsters poor form. Can't say I blame them for that but it was pretty ugly to watch. We on the other hand played some lovely, attractive football.

Some of the comments on here are just daft, as was the Watford fan walking back saying that Saints were bang average and that it was a disgrace to lose to a team like us.

No, I'm not ITK on the matter, but I don't believe the club would've given him the armband if he was going to be off in the summer. It wouldn't make much sense.

Because? The rest of the season doesn't matter?

Fonte was the captain and he would have been gone for sure in the summer and guess what, he's already gone. So there's no logic in that.

I don't understand why people come up with all these silly arguments why VVD might stay. He either stays or goes in the summer, that's it and the odds are he goes cause a injury ain't going to stop that, a armband won't and a baby wont or what ever else people come up with.

If the right club comes with the right offer then he's gone, that's how football works.

really??

They know that his value will either hold, or increase over the next two years. Our finances are much better now, only risk in not selling is serious injury. My gut is he will be here for at least one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No commets at all as yet on Stephens' magnificent piece of defending at 2-2, when left 2 on 1, showing the striker on to his left, blocking off the pass before making a great challenge? That was mature defending at its best.

Amazing the difference 1 player can make, since we signed Gabi the goals have flowed and all of a sudden our strike force looks really potent. Confidence is a powerful thing.

Personally I'll take this version of Saints over the dour version any day of the week.

Let's hope VVD stays for another season, with this attack and him in defence next season could be a very good one.

It's like the other attakers have see Gabbi score and thought, "hold on a minute, this Italian might be onto something...hmm".

Because? The rest of the season doesn't matter?

Fonte was the captain and he would have been gone for sure in the summer and guess what, he's already gone. So there's no logic in that.

I don't understand why people come up with all these silly arguments why VVD might stay. He either stays or goes in the summer, that's it and the odds are he goes cause a injury ain't going to stop that, a armband won't and a baby wont or what ever else people come up with.

If the right club comes with the right offer then he's gone, that's how football works.

insightful :lol: