Spurs v Saints build up

vince

3-2 to Spurs is all I can see with this one and I don't see any team changes bar an injury getting in the way. I don't think Puel will be allowed to remove either Yoshi or particularly Stephens unless one is injured. The club need Stephens to be the next big transfer out to balance the books - probably. It will be without doubt a very well contested and entertaining game.

3-2 to Spurs is all I can see with this one and I don't see any team changes bar an injury getting in the way. I don't think Puel will be allowed to remove either Yoshi or particularly Stephens unless one is injured. The club need Stephens to be the next big transfer out to balance the books - probably. It will be without doubt a very well contested and entertaining game.

Wouldn't it be more worth seeing if we can turn our international, former Barcelona, Juventus, wanted by AC Milan centre half who we acquired on a free transfer into a profit? If, as suggested, that is the motivation behind our team selections.

So have you got a big wedge on a saints win then.....

No that would be foolhardy. Point is games don't always go to form. Any idiot can see Spurs are favourites but doesn't mean we don't stand a chance and will get stuffed. Read pessimism on threads for every game. Probably the same tarts who get hysterical about Lawro not having confidence in us.

Wouldn't it be more worth seeing if we can turn our international, former Barcelona, Juventus, wanted by AC Milan centre half who we acquired on a free transfer into a profit? If, as suggested, that is the motivation behind our team selections.

Well he's out of contract at the end of this season so if he performs well enough to command a decent fee he'll just be going anyway.

Spurs are absurdly good at home and our defence is looking leaky, I'd reckon we'd have a chance at grabbing goal with the way Gabi and Redmond are playing but can't see us stopping Kane and Ali scoring. Draw would be a great result.

Winning 3- 1 in 2003 which led to Hoddle's sacking was particularly sweet! (and should've been more we were fantastic that day).

That would be sweet, though in a contest that pitches our newly potent strikers against their defence and our newly flawed defence against Kane.... hmmm... 3-3 more likely, and I'll settle for that.

That would be sweet, though in a contest that pitches our newly potent strikers against their defence and our newly flawed defence against Kane.... hmmm... 3-3 more likely, and I'll settle for that.

Didn't we once have a 4-4 draw there? On a Boxing Day if I remember rightly.

Didn't we once have a 4-4 draw there? On a Boxing Day if I remember rightly.

I remember a couple of 'goalfests' at WHL, unfortunately neither in our favour! There was the 7-2, have a feeling Tahar opened the scoring or at least made it 1-1! And then there was the "4 goals in 5 minutes" fiasco after we had taken the lead... Even now that's still a remarkable event, and still painful!

I was there for that one. We were 2-0 up, they came back to 2'-2, then we were 4-2 up. Goalscorers were Charlie George, Channon and two for Steve Moran I think.

think you're wrong there

goalscorers right, but i recall us being 2-0 down, then 2-2, but then 4-2 down with us coming back to draw 4-4 with a late goal

I remember a couple of 'goalfests' at WHL, unfortunately neither in our favour! There was the 7-2, have a feeling Tahar opened the scoring or at least made it 1-1! And then there was the "4 goals in 5 minutes" fiasco after we had taken the lead... Even now that's still a remarkable event, and still painful!

I remember the one where we got Hoddle sacked! Or was that at home?

I was there for that one. We were 2-0 up, they came back to 2'-2, then we were 4-2 up. Goalscorers were Charlie George, Channon and two for Steve Moran I think.

Just referred to the stat's book it says Archibald scored first then Brooke made it 2-0 Spurs Baker and then George scored to make it 2 - 2 H/T Crooks and then Brooke scored to make it 4 - 2 Moran hit back with 2 goals to make it 4 - 4 at F/T and the game was played on Friday 26th December 1980

I didn't want to start a new thread and not sure where to put this. Could an 8th place finish get a club into Europa League next year if : a) Man U wins the Europa League, b) Man U finishes outside the Top 4, and c) the FA Cup is won by a Top 6 team like Chelsea?

If the standings ended like this:

*1. Chelsea (FA winner)

*2. Spurs

*3. City

*4. Arsenal

**5. Liverpool

*6. Man U (Europa League Champion and EFL winner)

**7. Everton

**8. Southampton

*Champions League

**Europa League (5th place, FA Cup, and EFL Cup Winners)

If so, we are 7 points behind 8th place with a match in hand.

I am an American. I apologize in advance if I fouled that all up!! 2 weeks is a long time to wait between matches, I am bored.

If Man U wins the Europa League

I didn't want to start a new thread and not sure where to put this. Could an 8th place finish get a club into Europa League next year if : a) Man U wins the Europa League, b) Man U finishes outside the Top 4, and c) the FA Cup is won by a Top 6 team like Chelsea?

*1. Chelsea (FA winner)

*2. Spurs

*3. City

*4. Arsenal

**5. Liverpool

**7. Everton

**8. Southampton

*Champions League

I am an American. I apologize in advance if I fouled that all up!! 2 weeks is a long time to wait between matches, I am bored.

Pretty sure the answer is no - the Europa League winning side gets the spot on the CL but vacate their spot in the EL, and that slot gets allocated to a different club in a different league. The total clubs in Europe for the Premier League remains 7, but it is 5 + 2 not 4 + 3.

Basically we ain't qualifying for Europe this time.

Pretty sure the answer is no - the Europa League winning side gets the spot on the CL but vacate their spot in the EL, and that slot gets allocated to a different club in a different league. The total clubs in Europe for the Premier League remains 7, but it is 5 + 2 not 4 + 3.

Basically we ain't qualifying for Europe this time.

I think that's right.

Although if Man U won Europa (thereby qualifying for CL) but hadn't already qualified for Europa via other means then I think it would be a 5+3 scenario I.e. no one would lose their Europa spot.

So do we want Leicester to win CL and Man U to finish top 4 whilst a team finishing 5th or 6th wins FA Cup?

*1. Chelsea (FA winner)

*2. Spurs

*3. City

*4. Arsenal

**5. Liverpool

**7. Everton

**8. Southampton

*Champions League

photo-1-e1410988078774.jpg

I think that's right.

Although if Man U won Europa (thereby qualifying for CL) but hadn't already qualified for Europa via other means then I think it would be a 5+3 scenario I.e. no one would lose their Europa spot.

So do we want Leicester to win CL and Man U to finish top 4 whilst a team finishing 5th or 6th wins FA Cup?

No, since 8th still won't qualify, and never will (by finishing 8th). It would still be 5 CL + 2 EL, since no EL qualifier loses out with the reduction from 3 EL to 2 EL if Leicester qualify for the CL next season.

The only way to get 5 CL + 3 EL is if the extra CL qualifier (e.g. a Leicester) wouldn't otherwise qualify for EL, and the winners of both the League cup and FA cup also wouldn't otherwise qualify for EL/CL.

For example, if we had won the league cup, Boro the FA cup, and Leicester the CL. Then us, Boro and 5th would get into the EL, and Leicester + top 4 into CL.

Pochettino demands a lot from his players, high pressing and covering a lot of ground. We all know his teams tire towards the end of the season, lets hope it starts against us.

Would be very happy with a draw, Gabbi to continue scoring.

Pochettino demands a lot from his players, high pressing and covering a lot of ground. We all know his teams tire towards the end of the season, lets hope it starts against us.

Would be very happy with a draw, Gabbi to continue scoring.

Interestingly they were saying on the radio before the Spurs v Everton game that some spurs players where telling them that Poch has changed his training regime this season after realising that he was tiring the players out with the intensity of his training sessions during the week...

Interestingly they were saying on the radio before the Spurs v Everton game that some spurs players where telling them that Poch has changed his training regime this season after realising that he was tiring the players out with the intensity of his training sessions during the week...

That's why they have time to plan elaborate goal celebrations then.

Be nice to test their mettle again like last year, they spawnily went 1 up and were smug buggers with it. Then when we clawed one back and the cracks appeared. When Davo put away that daisy cutter, which bamboozled everyone, they were shot. I know that was off the back of seeing their title challenge fade, but they have pretty much the same team so you would hope the same soft underbelly is there to be exposed.

Last few games we have played with a bit of intensity, and dare I say it: flare. So hopefully we can give them a bit of a run around again.............. anything has to be better than the "Boxing Day" game.

Think Spurs will score a few regardless of if we play Stephens or Carcerces. Hope I am wrong, but Spurs will be at it as they go for CL and finally a finish above Arsenal. 5-1.

Oh you hope you are wrong, so you don't really hope we concede loads of goals. Anyone else hope Saints win?

Spurs 'going for it' to get one over on Arsenal normally means choking.

I seem to remember everybody on here writing off our chances of getting a result up there at the tail end of last season, only for Davis to pop up with two goals and prove everybody wrong. Granted, that was later in the season when Spurs were in the full swing of their end-of-season burnout that is typical of Pochettino's management.

At the moment we look capable of scoring 2-3 goals per game no matter who we are playing. The big question is... will that be enough to secure us some points?

Haven't played at home in just over a month (mental schedule really), but I rate our chances with this one. Past 2 away games (3 if you count Wembley) we've put 4 (3- still bitter) goals in the net. Granted that it was Sunderland and Watford, but they were two physical(ish) teams against our more technical and small team. Same with Man Utd. I honestly don't think we need a lot of bruisers to win games. Our defense needs reinforcing and we all know that but our attack is absolutely on fire. And for those saying drop JWP, is there something wrong with you?? The turn and pass he pulled off to supply Tadic was amazing, and he's been amazing recently. Becoming a much more versatile player and it's great to see him finally flourishing. On the other side of things, Forster has been inexcusably shocking. I say drop him until he shows better signs. Also, I trust Stephens, but reckon Caceres deserves a shot.

Hassen

Cedric Yosh Caceres Bertrand

Romeu Davis

Prowsey Tadic Redmond

Gabbiadini