Spurs v Saints build up

vince

Looks like a week off next week, so on to Spurs the week after. Let's go there and give it a good go, but if Forsters in goal, they might just need to hit the target to score! I'll go for a Desmond, 2-2.

We need to bring Careces in.

Stephens has done well but I have doubts he has the ability to succeed at this level.

We're looking much better going forward thanks to Gabbi so just need to sure it up at the back.

If we conceded more than 1 we'll lose imo.

Agree with the clamour to bring in Careces. I would also start with Boufal bit not sure who to sacrifice. Probably JWP I suppose.

Wouldn't mess with an attacking quartet that have been so productive over the last 3 games.

Boufal a great option from the bench at the moment.

We need to bring Careces in.

Stephens has done well but I have doubts he has the ability to succeed at this level.

We're looking much better going forward thanks to Gabbi so just need to sure it up at the back.

If we conceded more than 1 we'll lose imo.

I actually think Stephens won't be dropped. He struggled today against a couple of proper bruisers, and a team playing hoof ball. He held his own well in the Liverpool game against more technical opposition.

But then struggled vs arsenal and Man Utd who are technical. Was his fault for third goal last Sunday.

I actually think Stephens won't be dropped. He struggled today against a couple of proper bruisers, and a team playing hoof ball. He held his own well in the Liverpool game against more technical opposition.

We've conceded 16 goals in the last 6 games in which Stephens has started.

Not saying that it is his fault, but something needs to change and imo he is the weak link in the back 4.

I'd argue to drop Forster as well but we have no replacement for him.

We've conceded 16 goals in the last 6 games in which Stephens has started.

Not saying that it is his fault, but something needs to change and imo he is the weak link in the back 4.

I'd argue to drop Forster as well but we have no replacement for him.

Yeah I do see your point, but I think the 5 goals in the Arsenal game (where although he was poor I feel as if the heavily rotated team was the main factor) skew that a tad. I'll admit though we have been conceding too many even disregarding that game, but I feel it's more that the players need to up their concentration levels collectively, rather than a need to drop Stephens.

The only player I would drop, like you say, is Forster. I an generally very patient with players, but looking at both the stats and his play over the past couple of months (heck even three or four months if you're being harsh), he has been absolutely atrocious. I can pick out several goals from recent matches that in my opinion any other keeper in the league would have saved. United's first AND second in the final, West Ham's second and Swansea's winner

You're right though, it's a shame we have nobody more proven to come in really.

Yeah I do see your point, but I think the 5 goals in the Arsenal game (where although he was poor I feel as if the heavily rotated team was the main factor) skew that a tad. I'll admit though we have been conceding too many even disregarding that game, but I feel it's more that the players need to up their concentration levels collectively, rather than a need to drop Stephens.

The only player I would drop, like you say, is Forster. I an generally very patient with players, but looking at both the stats and his play over the past couple of months (heck even three or four months if you're being harsh), he has been absolutely atrocious. I can pick out several goals from recent matches that in my opinion any other keeper in the league would have saved. United's first AND second in the final, West Ham's second and Swansea's winner

You're right though, it's a shame we have nobody more proven to come in really.

I can't agree with you about United's second.

But then struggled vs arsenal and Man Utd who are technical. Was his fault for third goal last Sunday.

From a cross against Ibrahimovic. That's not the sort of challenge we'll face at Spurs, good as Kane is.

There's a lot to be said for consistency, particularly on the toughest away day of the season. Big shout to drop Caceres in unless he's bang at it. The fact he was on the bench doesn't necessarily mean he's match fit and ready to start, not with our injury problems.

I think most of us would have been happy with 6 out of 9 points from our 3 away games on the spin, so this last of the trio at White Hart Lane is a bit of a free hit, ergo a defeat wouldn't be a disaster. That said, I fancy us to come away with a point. 2-2 (Gabbi & Boufal)

I was at the Liverpool game and thought he was outstanding.

When I watched it back after getting home I realised that our clean sheet that day was more down to Liverpools ineffectiveness up top than outstanding defending...

I've just checked our remaining 12 fixtures and we still have to play 8 of the 9 teams above us in the league, the only exception being Everton!

Good news. The last thing we want is a bunch of 'nothing to play for' mid-table fixtures :)

I can't agree with you about United's second.

Not sure why I wrote second, I think I might have meant Ibra's second, because I had meant to write to United's third. In the close up replay he appears to close his eyes as the ball came at him. Admittedly it was at point blank range which means it's a bit harsh to say he could have done better, but I have seen keeper's save similar ones close to them like that.

I just watched all the goals back again though (painful as it was) and if I'm being nitpicky his positioning for Lingard's goal was a bit odd in my view, he comes about six yards off his line to narrow the angle as if it's a one on one even though there are players in front of him to do that, which leaves him much less time to react to where the shot is going and get down to it. Any people who play in goal able to enlighten me as to whether this is a normal course of action?

It doesn't really matter who we play at the back. Spurs haven't lost at home all season, have conceded five goals at home all season and have the leagues top scorer up front...were going to get stuffed, and I say that as someone who is generally upbeat about our chances, to get a result at WHL we'd need a bloody miracle

It doesn't really matter who we play at the back. Spurs haven't lost at home all season, have conceded five goals at home all season and have the leagues top scorer up front...were going to get stuffed, and I say that as someone who is generally upbeat about our chances, to get a result at WHL we'd need a bloody miracle

A very fair and reasonable assessment of our chances.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Plenty of reasons to be encouraged about the team at the moment, but unfortunately this fixture fills me with dread. They are a pretty solid team to break down, so while our attack has been great recently, it will be a big test. And at the other end they have a goalscorer on fire, who will undoubtedly get a few chances, and Alli is notorious for making late runs into the box, which our midfield tends to struggle with.

Hopefully Claude can come up with a master gameplan though! A repeat of last season, putting pay to their title hopes would be lovely.

Agreed it will be hard but then everyone had us losing at anfield by a country mile.

We never get stuffed. Why do so many put these teams on a pedestal? They couldn't beat Sunderland. Ok home record is strong but I still expect us to get something.

Spurs at home, Arsenal in the FA cup...?

I'll give you Arsenal but would discount as reserve team.

Spurs wasn't hopeless. Started strong although agree overwhelmed mostly we also had 10 men for last 30 mins.

And no one does the double over us anymore.

We never get stuffed. Why do so many put these teams on a pedestal? They couldn't beat Sunderland. Ok home record is strong but I still expect us to get something.

To be fair we failed to beat Sunderland this season to. It's got nothing to do with putting them on a pedestal more about being realistic that they are an in form team with the best home record in the division. They dominated Everton (the team top of the form league) for large parts of yesterdays game and humped us at home when we had VVD in the team.

In term of result I can't see anything but a defeat in this game. Spurs play just the right way to expose our weaknesses, almost certainly one of their goals will be a hard low shot into one of the corners out of the reach of diving Forster.

Was absolutely brilliant winning there last season but since our promotion back to the Premier I think Spurs have beaten us more than any other team.

Will be our final visit to White Hart Lane, some memorable games there over the years and sad to see another old ground go. My favourite being 3-1 away win in the FA Cup 1990, low point being FA Cup semi final 1986.

Didn't we once beat Nottingham Forest there in a FA Cup 3rd replay?

To be fair we failed to beat Sunderland this season to. It's got nothing to do with putting them on a pedestal more about being realistic that they are an in form team with the best home record in the division. They dominated Everton (the team top of the form league) for large parts of yesterdays game and humped us at home when we had VVD in the team.

You must clean up with the bookies betting on all the 'form' outcome of games.

It's the midfield that worries me, aside from Romeu i don't see any other combination that can compete with the physicality of the Spurs midfield, and when Romeu gets tied up in those battles too much it exposes the defence.

Personally think we either go gung ho with the attitude of outscoring them and play Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Gabbi, knowing we'll lack cover for the backline. Or we close up shop by playing five across the middle in the hope of shutting them out, and lose probably two from the above (Boufal and Tadic would be my guess) in favour of a midfield of Romeu, JWP, Classie, Davis, Redmond, and hope to hit them on the break.

Either way i'm not confident of much and can really only imagine one outcome.

I can't see our current defence preventing Tottenham from scoring so for me its a question of whether we can score as many or more than they do. I don't rule out the possibility so I think we are in with a chance as we do have match winners in the squad, not just Gabbiadini but also Redmond, Tadic and Boufal. Just wish they didn't have to look over their shoulder and see Jack Stephens where Virgil Van Djik should be. If Puel can become confident in Caceres between now and the Spurs game, that could make the difference but it depends on how the player looks in training.

The players that worry me are Kane & Forster. Kane looks lethal at the moment whereas anything shot on target and not directly at Forster is likely to end in the net . Everton managed to put 2 past them and the were playing quite poorly imo.