Tadic as No 10

SaintBobby

With Gabbiadini all the pieces start to fit in the offensive positions.

We are entering a new era for Saints.

This is an extremely talented group of players.

Enjoy the ride

Yes until the end of the season. Then it's all change and start again.

Gabbiadini has made all the difference to Tadic, somebody who wants to get on the end of through balls played in behind.

With Austin up front Tadic is wasted.

Spot on! The freedom to rotate that Puel gives the front three is working now the third player, Gabbiadini, also moves intelligently.

Gabbiadini has made all the difference to Tadic, somebody who wants to get on the end of through balls played in behind.

it helps that Puel has asked Gabbiadini to play as more of an out-and-out striker. and not hand left wing with redmond as CF like Austin had to do earlier this season

for what ever reason, we are now using a system that the club/team/players know and playing players available in their right positions with a bit of tempo.......good to see

O

it helps that Puel has asked Gabbiadini to play as more of an out-and-out striker. and not hand left wing with redmond as CF like Austin had to do earlier this season

for what ever reason, we are now using a system that the club/team/players know and playing players available in their right positions with a bit of tempo.......good to see

Spot on. Austin was wasted as a striker, he wasn't mobile enough to play the "front three "role and often ended up out wide doing his bit for the team. Austin needed to be played where Gabbi is playing..in the box attacking the ball in.

Not sure if it's planned or just that Gabbi doesn't understand the instructions! (Lol) but he is playing much more centrally and making those runs into the box that we were missing before.

Yep! You've nailed it. Can't see Austin getting back into this squad but we still have to find a position for Boufal. Maybe drop Redmond back to attacking mid-field with Boufal on the left? Neither Hojberg or Les's poster boy are good enough it seems. The great thing about Redmond he is can chase back all day, tackle and defend so give it a go.

this is so true, Tadic needs a think forward like Pelle rather than instinct like Austin

I am not sure..surely Austin didn't want to play out wide?

Gabbi and Austins heat maps would be good to see? I may be wrong but Gabbi seems to be playing more central but Austin ( I always assumed due to tactics rather than his decision) often would be out wide..and he isn't that type.

I haven't spotted Gabbi interchanging with the other two like Austin seemed to have to...

Gabbi isn't going to play every game next year so we need someone else to play that role on occasions?

Tadic could play the No 10, but he is also very effective on the wing (especially on the left, overlapping with Bertrand).

I think Gabbiadini, Tadic, Redmond, and Boufal are our strongest 4 up front. So, Gabbi as the No 9 and then any combination of the 3 behind. Whatever happens to work best.

------------Gabbi-----------

Tadic-----Boufal-----Redmond

the most difficult position to fill from our current rosters is who pairs up with Romeu? Davis, JWP, PEH, Clasie? I can see arguments for any of them. I have a soft spot for JWP, as he does give us an advantage with set pieces, I just wish he was more physical. Davis is steady, but unspectacular, PEH is all potential, but does offer that physicality.

-------Romeu----????---------

The question in the back is: is Caceres the MAN? If not, we need to go get one. Yoshida has stepped up, but I still have doubts. My doubts may not even be fair due to recently play, but the stain of past performances in seasons past is still there for me.

Bertrand--VVD--????--Cedric

GK.. it is what it is. I hope McCarthy could challenge/push Forster. I am not convinced we can find someone better out there. So until further notice...

------------Forster------------

remaining

as far as defense: Pied, Yoshida, McQueen, Stephens, and Targett are all quality backups. Gardos, Martina.. see ya!

strikers, wingers: Austin, Long, Sims, JRod is not a bad set of second teamers

midfield: Clasie, Davis, JWP, need a brawler?

gk: McCarthy (about the best we could get as a backup), Hassan, Lewis

needs

DM, CB, GK.. we'll see. In a way, a quiet summer might be just what everyone needs.

No European football + a summer to train + no manager turnover + no massive player turnover = bullish on next season.

Tadic could play the No 10, but he is also very effective on the wing (especially on the left, overlapping with Bertrand).

I think Gabbiadini, Tadic, Redmond, and Boufal are our strongest 4 up front. So, Gabbi as the No 9 and then any combination of the 3 behind. Whatever happens to work best.

------------Gabbi-----------

Tadic-----Boufal-----Redmond

the most difficult position to fill from our current rosters is who pairs up with Romeu? Davis, JWP, PEH, Clasie? I can see arguments for any of them. I have a soft spot for JWP, as he does give us an advantage with set pieces, I just wish he was more physical. Davis is steady, but unspectacular, PEH is all potential, but does offer that physicality.

-------Romeu----????---------

The question in the back is: is Caceres the MAN? If not, we need to go get one. Yoshida has stepped up, but I still have doubts. My doubts may not even be fair due to recently play, but the stain of past performances in seasons past is still there for me.

Bertrand--VVD--????--Cedric

GK.. it is what it is. I hope McCarthy could challenge/push Forster. I am not convinced we can find someone better out there. So until further notice...

------------Forster------------

remaining

as far as defense: Pied, Yoshida, McQueen, Stephens, and Targett are all quality backups. Gardos, Martina.. see ya!

strikers, wingers: Austin, Long, Sims, JRod is not a bad set of second teamers

midfield: Clasie, Davis, JWP, need a brawler?

gk: McCarthy (about the best we could get as a backup), Hassan, Lewis

needs

DM, CB, GK.. we'll see. In a way, a quiet summer might be just what everyone needs.

No European football + a summer to train + no manager turnover + no massive player turnover = bullish on next season.

This seems to have turned into a tactics thead..

We are playing some great attacking football but to be very honest we are very vulnerable defensively. Everyone is very advanced and we have nothing to defend with when the opposition break. Our full backs are way up the pitch too and we do need to fine tune this aspect of our strategy.

For what it's worth I like Tadic on the left but no way on the right. He also looks pretty good in the No 10 role you have to say. I would say this system could develop to a three at the back so that we are not as exposed down our flanks in the transition.

Just an observation ....

Boufal can go past his man and has more pace, Tadic can stand his man up and passes forward better

Agree. Boufal has magic in his boots, supremely gifted quick and skillful but needs to be coached into appreciating when to pass and where to. Dusan has better all round awareness as his assist stats from last season prove. Boufal is potentially the better player and no. 10 IMO.

I am not sure..surely Austin didn't want to play out wide?

Gabbi and Austins heat maps would be good to see? I may be wrong but Gabbi seems to be playing more central but Austin ( I always assumed due to tactics rather than his decision) often would be out wide..and he isn't that type.

I haven't spotted Gabbi interchanging with the other two like Austin seemed to have to...

Gabbi isn't going to play every game next year so we need someone else to play that role on occasions?

Agreed. If Austin plays then Tadic would be better playing wide and Boufal being central, as Tadic would serve better putting crosses in. Tadic might be more wasted centrally with Austin due to Austin's lack of pace and ability to get in behind, but doesn't mean the team cannot function with him.

Said a couple of weeks ago Tadic is better centrally (like he does for Serbia) noone believed me then, but hopefully they are now :D

I also have been saying this from day one. He is a classic no. 10. He just need to add a bit more body strength and he did.

Puel dosen't buy the stupid trend of placing playmakers on the wings. Viva Claude.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of Puel's substitutions look like he'd planned them days before to be fair. Taking off Tadic and mixing it up with a quick/impact player like Sims or Boufal to run at a tiring defence sounds like a sensible approach to me. Bouf was terrible on Sunday but that's clearly the best use of him for now, he needs to learn how to make an impact.

He's the thing Dusan. What we want you to do is create enough so we are two goals ahead with 10 minutes to go. Job done.

Thought he was poor yesterday, most around me were willing him to be taken off for Boufal. Has had an indifferent season, so i'd say he's not really doing enough to be unhappy with being substituted. He has been better since Gabbiadini got here, but he's not made himself indispensable which I thought he would given the rumours that him and Koeman didn't get on.

As bad as Boufal was against Spurs, if Tadic was dropped for this and Boufal started against Bournemouth I'd have no complaints. Hard to claim such detailed quotes have been taken out of context either.

I like Dusan and he can be a really good player when he's on his game, but it has not been often enough this season. As others have said, deliver for the 75 mins that you are on the pitch and we'd be winning games comfortably, rather than worrying about the last 10 minutes.

When Tadic plays well, we usually always play well as a team. He has a point IMO.

Clearly we need Boufal to get game time but it needs to be the right sub at the right time rather than just every game at a certain time.

Against United and Spurs that sub lost us momentum.

As bad as Boufal was against Spurs, if Tadic was dropped for this and Boufal started against Bournemouth I'd have no complaints. Hard to claim such detailed quotes have been taken out of context either.

I like Dusan and he can be a really good player when he's on his game, but it has not been often enough this season. As others have said, deliver for the 75 mins that you are on the pitch and we'd be winning games comfortably, rather than worrying about the last 10 minutes.

I agree with you. Tadic has done some great things at the Club, particularly when Pelle and Mane were team mates - but he has often gone missing in games against top six teams and his prima donna behaviour with feigned fouls and injuries leave a bad impression too. I think Puel is trying to find a way to get Boufal up to speed and increase his playing time; for good reason, as Boufal has the cut through creativity and impact to win games for Saints. It's a nonsense for Tadic to think he's been subbed unfairly; he consistently fades out of a game and his being replaced is often justified, though I think someone like Boufal could just as easily be given time playing wide in place of Ward-Prowse or even Redmond.

I agree with you. Tadic has done some great things at the Club, particularly when Pelle and Mane were team mates - but he has often gone missing in games against top six teams and his prima donna behaviour with feigned fouls and injuries leave a bad impression too. I think Puel is trying to find a way to get Boufal up to speed and increase his playing time; for good reason, as Boufal has the cut through creativity and impact to win games for Saints. It's a nonsense for Tadic to think he's been subbed unfairly; he consistently fades out of a game and his being replaced is often justified, though I think someone like Boufal could just as easily be given time playing wide in place of Ward-Prowse or even Redmond.

Juggling act of trying to keep all players happy and in Tadics case its Boufal. Tadic maybe frustrated but you dont air your thoughts to the media as that just makes the situation worse.

Agree with both of you.

He has now forced Puel's hand into dropping him for disciplinary reasons, and that is not what we need at this stage.

On top of all the injury problems he has really not helped the team, just confirmed what a gob****e selfish pr*t he is.

:(

Tadic has a history of speaking out against his managers, the bloke has a discipline issue and a big ego and it was only a matter of time before it would be at one of his Saints managers. Shame. Wonder if he will get his way again and see the manager sacked eventually... I think not in this case. Having said that Boufal is well out of sorts.

Have loved Tadic but think it's ridiculous that the first time he gets proper competition in his position he starts whinging about being taken off. Honestly, what would he have done in the time he had that he wasn't already trying in the first 70 or so minutes?

Boufal not much of a sub as it stands because as others have said he's been a bit out of sorts, but to me it's clear these are both players that need game time, and I don't know who Tadic thinks he is denying Boufal that.

Have loved Tadic but think it's ridiculous that the first time he gets proper competition in his position he starts whinging about being taken off. Honestly, what would he have done in the time he had that he wasn't already trying in the first 70 or so minutes?

Boufal not much of a sub as it stands because as others have said he's been a bit out of sorts, but to me it's clear these are both players that need game time, and I don't know who Tadic thinks he is denying Boufal that.

You're missing the point, why always Dusan when Puel favourite Redmond rarely gets subbed early even when he was as bad as he was on Sunday. Complaining about Dusan's lack of goals is rather ironic considering Redmond is no more prolific. In fact Boufal is the natural left wing sub not right wing.

You're missing the point, why always Dusan when Puel favourite Redmond rarely gets subbed early even when he was as bad as he was on Sunday. Complaining about Dusan's lack of goals is rather ironic considering Redmond is no more prolific. In fact Boufal is the natural left wing sub not right wing.

Brilliant. Redmond was one of our stand out players on Sunday. Keep up the pointless agenda though, its most entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadic and Redmond were the only ones capable of creating something against the Spurs. JWP scored but he was poor all game as was Davis.

When Tadic went off we couldn't muster any kind of offense. He was playing well. Long and Tadic have combined for a lot of goals in the past. Should the Saints scored it probably would have been Tadic playing a pass behind the Spus high defensive line for Shane.

Tadic is the key of this 4-2-3-1. It doesen't really work without a player like him. He may lose influence on the game occasionally, a lot of players of his kind do, but when he had the ball he was creating. I don't understand the criticism and the change. He was taken off and we were a poorer team since.

I think Puel keeps JWP on the pitch because of the set pieces. Yet, if you keep Davis and Tadic on the pitch I think you are okay.

Having said that, it's stupid to go to the press. And sadly, now he is earned a place on the bench. He doesen't do himself any favours doing this stupid s***.