Who Do We Choose To Ship Out This Summer?

View From The Top

Plenty of conjecture regarding those linked to big money moves (some of who I'm sure the usual board spu_nktrumpets can't wait to go so they can say "told you so") but which players would we, as fans, expect the club to move on/upgrade?

Jrod & Claise deffo for me as neither are even close to good enough alas. Perhaps Austin as he just doesn't fit Puel's fluid style IMHO.

FF has been poor thus far (no blame yesterday though) & I'd certainly shed no tears if he was to go and Heaton or Pickford brought in as replacement.

Would move on the following;

Martina

Targett (who was going to Crystal Palace before his injury)

Gardos

Isgrove

Clasie

Jrod

I think the following are also on slightly borrowed time;

Austin

Long

Reed

I don't agree re Clasie who I think is under rated, but more generally I think we will need to actively move a few on. We will be in one less competition next season and there is a limit to how many disenchanted spare players you want while maintaining decent coverage for injuries and suspensions. Players on the payroll now that I would look to move on would be:

Gazza

Taylor

Martina

Gardos

Reed

Isgrove

JayRod

Shipping those seven out would probably free up cash to fund wages of two top quality players. I think we need a second holding midfielder so that we can play 4231 without using Davis in that role. And we will either need to sign Caceras longer term or bring in another centre back.

The above is working on the basis that we don't sell one of our star players, and if we do they will also need replacing

Taylor

Martina

Clasie

Jrod

Reed (on loan)

Isgrove

Seagar (on loan)

Gardos

Targett (on loan)

Assuming VvD leaves and no other star players follow..I'd like to see us sign.....

2x Very good CBs

a starting quality Defensive Midfielder

and a young/decent Right Back

if we sell anyone else of note, lets get in adequate replacements at the same time, yeah?

Edited by Batman

I'd agree with Clasie. Very much a Koeman buy and, for me, rather too lightweight prone to errors. I didn't rate him before he came, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Sadly, Rodriguez has only shown flashes of his pre-injury form and time is probably running out.

As I posted on another thread, I think the pecking order of strikers is now clearly Gabby, Long then maybe Austin when he comes back, but Gallagher, Seager or someone else from the Academy could come through. I think Charlie will only be shipped out if we have a replacement, either internally or bought in if we can get the right target.

Also think Martina may be replaced, and Matt Targett's position must be under consideration with McQueen impressing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd agree with Clasie. Very much a Koeman buy and, for me, rather too lightweight prone to errors. I didn't rate him before he came, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Sadly, Rodriguez has only shown flashes of his pre-injury form and time is probably running out.

As I posted on another thread, I think the pecking order of strikers is now clearly Gabby, Long then maybe Austin when he comes back, but Gallagher, Seager or someone else from the Academy could come through. I think Charlie will only be shipped out if we have a replacement, either internally or bought in if we can get the right target.

Also think Martina may be replaced, and Matt Targett's position must be under consideration with McQueen impressing.

We replaced Martina in the summer, that hit a slight hitch though.

Jrod, Clasie, Martina, Taylor, Austin for me. With bringing in a quality CB and CDM and then we have some team.

As others have said would like Seager/Gallagher to step up next season to be backup to Gabbiadini.

Don't see Long being much more than backup/come on for 15 minutes as he and JRod have failed to take their chances this season. JRod has shown flashes but not enough to push himself to the front of the queue.

As VFTT says, Austin simply does not fit into the fluid, fast style that Puel likes. Now we have a striker that can play the way Puel likes we can all see what that means from an attacking perspective. No way will Austin fit into this.

It'll be sad to say goodbye to J-Rod but I just don't see him returning to his 2013-14 form. I think Gabbi's arrival and Austin getting closer. Plus Long and Gallagher as back up, will spell the end for him. It'll be sad but he'll always have a special place in our hearts but no point keeping players just for sentiment or we'd still have Hammond, Harding and Chaplow playing for us!

who do you all think we will ship that we really do not want to.

VvD, Rom, Cedric, Bertrand?

anyone else, Tadic?

Please don't start again.

Read the thread title. Who do we WANT to ship out.

Please don't start again.

Read the thread title. Who do we WANT to ship out.

who we want to push out might alter depending on who we lose that we clearly do not want to

never a dull moment at saints

Cc

anyone else, Tadic?

You really are becoming a poor version of Glasgow but at least he seems to know when to STFU

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Rumour I heard is Bertrand wants out, in which case targett will probably stay. J Rodriguez also very unhappy and wants to leave.

For me: gardos, isgrove, clasie, martina, Taylor would be those we would want to ship out.

rumour i heard....

From someone who works for a potential club sponsor, was given a tour and sales pitch by les and has contacts within the industry. It appears a surprising amount of inside info floats around between the various clubs through these channels.

Rumour I heard is Bertrand wants out, in which case targett will probably stay. J Rodriguez also very unhappy and wants to leave.

For me: gardos, isgrove, clasie, martina, Taylor would be those we would want to ship out.

Bertrand has the same agent as Van Dijk so this is potentially interesting, if true.

There's a big difference between wanting out and would be interested in moving to a bigger club. I suspect Bertrand would be open to approaches from champions league clubs but "wanting out" implies he's unhappy.

As for the op. I'd want to ship out Forster, Reed, Gardos , JRod & Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what the club's intentions are re Stephen Davies. He's 32, contracted (I believe) until the end of the 2019 season. I can't see them offering a long-term contract. Has had a few calamitous moments this season (including yesterday's game when Stephens bailed him out with some solid one on one defending). I'm not sure that I would particularly miss him but I know he has some boosters on this site.

This is bull.....I have good info that he loves life here and is very happy. Doesn't mean he will retire here, but he is not unhappy

I was hoping for a summer of building on what we have rather than wholesale changes, however it seems that our fans want to see an overall of RK proportions!

I am sure we wouldn't replace all those players with significantly higher quality.

So for me maybe just Martina and maybe J rod if he really is as unhappy as is rumoured.

We need at least one CB ( dependant on Caceras and VVD).

Losing Austin would mean we need another striker? What happen when Gabbi is out if J rod has gone?

The midfield is alright IMO.

I'd keep Forster I think he is just having a bad spell..although I do have my suspicions

we already bought his replacement?

Jrod

Claise

Martina

Gardos

Reed

Isgrove

Targett

PEH has been a major disappointment but expect club to keep faith. 4-2-3-1 may suit him more so but seems totally out of favour at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Clasie

Gardos

Martina

Hojbjerg

Reed

Ward-Prowse

Lewis

Targett

Isgrove

Rodrguez

I wonder what the club's intentions are re Stephen Davies. He's 32, contracted (I believe) until the end of the 2019 season. I can't see them offering a long-term contract. Has had a few calamitous moments this season (including yesterday's game when Stephens bailed him out with some solid one on one defending). I'm not sure that I would particularly miss him but I know he has some boosters on this site.

Does he play for us lol? Steven Davis is an excellent player. For these 'calamitous' moments you claim, you can compare this with games like Bournemouth where his introduction at halftime changed the game and we went onto win. Current captain and hope hes with us for a long while yet. I am biased being a Northern Ireland fan however.

Does he play for us lol? Steven Davis is an excellent player. For these 'calamitous' moments you claim, you can compare this with games like Bournemouth where his introduction at halftime changed the game and we went onto win. Current captain and hope hes with us for a long while yet. I am biased being a Northern Ireland fan however.

I think he is excellent. The occasion error (name me a player who hasn't done them?) is not his normal game. He is tidy and works his socks off for the team. Be nice if he worked on his finishing though! :-)

I'd pick Davis ahead of Ward-Prowse every time. If we can sell Ward-Prowse, than someone who can score goals from them, like Gabbiadini or Boufal, will be allowed to take the free-kicks, and that could be worth quite a few points to us over a season.

anyone else, Tadic?

Why don't you go and start your own thread and leave this one for the rest of us to debate the original OP?

You're all over every thread like a rash at the minute, peddling negativity. Sad really.

Plenty of conjecture regarding those linked to big money moves (some of who I'm sure the usual board spu_nktrumpets can't wait to go so they can say "told you so") but which players would we, as fans, expect the club to move on/upgrade?

Jrod & Claise deffo for me as neither are even close to good enough alas. Perhaps Austin as he just doesn't fit Puel's fluid style IMHO.

FF has been poor thus far (no blame yesterday though) & I'd certainly shed no tears if he was to go and Heaton or Pickford brought in as replacement.

Agree with this pretty much. I'd get rid of;

Forster

Gardos

Targett

Jrod

Clasie

Sign a new CB, DM and GK and I think we could have a very interesting season next year.

If Vvd goes then go large on another Cb.

Clasie

Gardos

Martina

Hojbjerg

Reed

Ward-Prowse

Lewis

Targett

Isgrove

Rodrguez

Reed on loan, maybe. Hojbjerg? Very doubtful - he's got a lot more to give.

I assume you are joking by suggesting JWP. He's key to our midfield.

Can't see it will be easy to get rid of FF, big contract, big wages, and can't see 'anybody' wanting him in his current state. If he's prepared to take a big pay cut he could get a gig at a Wolves/Forest/Brum type of club, for me he's finished at PL level mentally and physically.

Unless the England GK coach can work some magic, but there's little sign of that.

Fair enough but I think that age is a huge factor for the club when a player gets to this stage. It certainly played a role in the departures of other players like Lambert, Fonte and Pelle.

Can't see it will be easy to get rid of FF, big contract, big wages, and can't see 'anybody' wanting him in his current state. If he's prepared to take a big pay cut he could get a gig at a Wolves/Forest/Brum type of club, for me he's finished at PL level mentally and physically.

Unless the England GK coach can work some magic, but there's little sign of that.

It was suggested to me that Arsenal have got first dibs on him to replace Petr Cech for next season.....

Hojbjerg on some peoples lists. Give the guy time. Yes hes inconsistent but hes young and its also his first season in the premier league. Fully expect both him and Boufal to improve alot in their second seasons. Cedric is proof of this, has been much better this season compared to last.

Hojbjerg on some peoples lists. Give the guy time. Yes hes inconsistent but hes young and its also his first season in the premier league. Fully expect both him and Boufal to improve alot in their second seasons. Cedric is proof of this, has been much better this season compared to last.

Agree on Højbjerg. He's younger than Reed / Stephens / Isgrove, which is often easy to forget.

You lot would've all ditched Yoshida no doubt. We need back up players and no point selling them all to buy more. Clasie has been nowhere near as bad as some of you make out.

Rodrigues, Martina and Gardos definitely

Isgrove hardly counts but yes.

I would say Forster but will be very unlikely.

You lot would've all ditched Yoshida no doubt. We need back up players and no point selling them all to buy more. Clasie has been nowhere near as bad as some of you make out.

Rodrigues, Martina and Gardos definitely

Isgrove hardly counts but yes.

I would say Forster but will be very unlikely.

We need backup players but if we are going to improve the team with better players some of these backup players have to make way or we end up with far more players than we need. It also brings in transfer fees and reduces the wage bill. Clasie is exactly the sort of player we should be letting go.

Why is Forster unlikely? I doubt Puel will put up with another season like this, either Forster leaves or he becomes number two with McCarthy leaving, his wages should not ensure him a place in the starting line up.

My sale, release or loan list:

Forster

Clasie

Gardos

Long

Davis

Rodriguez

Austin

Cáceres

Martina

Reed

Pied

Isgrove

Taylor

Targett

Hassen

Gazzaniga

Jason McCarthy

Gallagher

We need backup players but if we are going to improve the team with better players some of these backup players have to make way or we end up with far more players than we need. It also brings in transfer fees and reduces the wage bill. Clasie is exactly the sort of player we should be letting go.

Why is Forster unlikely? I doubt Puel will put up with another season like this, either Forster leaves or he becomes number two with McCarthy leaving, his wages should not ensure him a place in the starting line up.

Forster

Clasie

Gardos

Long

Davis

Rodriguez

Austin

Cáceres

Martina

Reed

Pied

Isgrove

Taylor

Targett

Hassen

Gazzaniga

Jason McCarthy

Gallagher

You've not been impressed with Caceres or Hassen then?

Forster is unlikely to be shipped out.

You've not been impressed with Caceres or Hassen then?

Forster is unlikely to be shipped out.

Cáceres and Hassen are out of contract and there is nothing to suggest they are anything more than an Elia or Djuricic type short term fix.

If Forster isn't shipped out then he should be number two with McCarthy sold, there is no way he should be first choice next season. Abysmal keeper.

Forster

Clasie

Gardos

Long

Davis

Rodriguez

Austin

Cáceres

Martina

Reed

Pied

Isgrove

Taylor

Targett

Hassen

Gazzaniga

Jason McCarthy

Gallagher

Wouldnt be many players left if you were in charge. McCarthy and Gallagher have done well on loan and deserve an opportunity next pre season. Not seen enough or anything of Caceres, Hassen and Pied to make an assessment. Would certainly keep Austin, Davis, Clasie and Long. Cant argue with the rest.

On another point, Targetts injury must have been bad. Noticed he was still limping in the video of the players getting their squad photo in their cup final suits