Biggest impact signing?

Pilchards

I'm certainly buzzing over our new Italian striker plus I can't get that song out of my head...

However who has been the biggest impact new signing for Saints?

I remember Keegan gave the city a buzz but the football did not reach a mega high instantly, also I remember Shilton in his first few games.

I will go with a striker called Evans from Plymouth. Think he scored about 7 goals in our relegation battle a few years back.

Anyome else got a player in mind?

I'm certainly buzzing over our new Italian striker plus I can't get that song out of my head...

I remember Keegan gave the city a buzz but the football did not reach a mega high instantly, also I remember Shilton in his first few games.

I will go with a striker called Evans from Plymouth. Think he scored about 7 goals in our relegation battle a few years back.

Evans???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Evans scored 4 goals. 2 against Forest in a crucial relegation 6 pointer we won 3-1 (at Forest), one against West Ham (which he sort of chested in before colliding with the post) and another one I simply cannot remember. You are right about him having an impact but he was basically shyte as evidenced by his goalless following season and rapid sale. If Gabbiadini turns out to be the new Evans I will be surprised and disappointed.

I seem to remember we signed Evans from Oxford, and they threw in Mark Wright into the deal as well.

Not sure what you are remembering but the Evans being discussed here is Micky, who was definitely signed from Plymouth by Souness and he helped us stay up in 1997. No connection to Mark Wright.

Marek Saganowski was the one that springs to mind. Came in a banged the goals in, including in the 6-0 against Wolves that we all thought we'd lose beforehand, so bad was our injury crisis.

I also think the signing of Boruc at the time had a good impact on a free at a time when we only had Davis for experience.

Think to a lesser extent you could add in Nigel Pearson in charge, along with Richard Wright between the sticks 2007-8 season. The latter from memory making some impressive saves to give us any chance of another last day escape from the dreaded drop into League 1, the former giving us a bit more of a rigid backbone to take out on the pitch.

Two not mentioned yet are Ronnie Ekelund lifted a poor Saints side with only Le God to rely on and Andrew Davies in the dark years lifted a very poor defence.

After Davies left it would have to Perry, Lucketti and Richard Wright...not to mention the impact of Stern John as well that year before relegation from the Championship

special mention to Chaplow who twice made an impact on the side in the early Burley years, and again from League 1/Championship promo years.

It's threads like these that expose my complete loss of memory of the championship years.

Old age I guess. Or maybe I commit the wins more than the losses to long term memory. I remember league 1 far more.

I read an article where Lawrie said it was Peter Osgood, getting him in gave him and the club credibility and led to him signing all those other top top players slightly over the hill.

My list would include Shilts, who was world class at the time and our keepers hadn't exactly been that before.

Keegan obviously & Bally who had a great impact on the club, particularly with Steve Williams.

Jimmy Case had a similar impact with Mattys generation.

More up to date I'd say Lambert & Jose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk