Slipped disc - cervical

Crab Lungs

Hi all

Just wondering if any of you've slipped a disc in your neck before and how you coped with it? Currently in day 7 of this quite extraordinarily painful situation and I'm chomping at the bit to get back to normal life as I'm meant to be going to Iceland next week for a holiday.

Barely slept all week but picked up some diazepam today and that seemed to knock me out pretty good as well as help with relaxed my tenses shoulder. That said, the whole lack of mobility and comfortless existence is still taking its toll. Additionally, had done work done by an osteopath which helped immensely, though within a few hours I was doubled over again.

Any ideas on timelines on these things? (From personal experience)... any advice gratefully received

Ouch. I had the same with a lumbar disc. That can take several weeks to settle down. I assume it might be the same for your neck. I first damaged my back 25 years ago and I still have problems several times per year, including 2 weeks off work last month. Hopefully, you won't have the longer term problems. I have also injured my neck and in some ways that can be worse, as it can be very difficult to get to sleep. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a partially slipped disk on one of the vertebrae close to the skull. The disk is pressing on the spinal chord slightly and results in dizziness, and some pain. It's taken about 2 years (sorry) to get to the point where I don't really notice it any more. First year was very unpleasant, mainly after long drives.

I found physio helped temporarily, but it came back after a few days. Seems to be significantly better over the past 6 months thankfully.

Edited by Plastic

Gents, thanks so much for your replies really appreciated. I've not personally had an injury of this severity before and to be honest, I feel utterly gutted by it all, wracked with worry (what with the tingles, numbness and pains etc). I've heard that the road to recovery may not even be a full one and that there is no way telling, especially in this formative stage, how long it'll take to heal. I've read that some people have been quite fortunate and were operational and functioning relatively normally within the first 2-3 months, others have said it's taken a lot longer or worse still, they are still suffering after some considerable time.

I'm just getting my head around the fact that it could be a while for me - and I'd never thought I'd say it but to not be at work has been an absolute nightmare; mentally, as I'm not engaging with people, just sitting around and lattery because of the immobility factor. It all feels a bit lonely at the moment and whilst it is nowhere near the levels of pain I had last friday, it's still excruciating at times and has me doubled over. Heat/Cold treatment seems to work fairly well, but like everything, it's a temporary solution before the aggravation and pain kicks in again.

It's weird; I've never been a position where it's agonising and long-winded to dress myself, shower, eat and sleep and have taken those necessary but innocuous things for granted all these years. I'm pretty sure I'll be pretty darn more appreciative of being able-bodied if/when this eventually settles down.

I take it no-one here had surgery? Obviously that's a route I don't want to go down but the most frustrating thing is I cannot even be put in for an MRI until at least 6 weeks since it unfolded. Sadly, my BUPA doesn't cover diagnosis so I'll either have to wait or stump up the cash to go private for that (which I might do as I'd rather know what I'm up against for definite as opposed to continue to have osteopathic treatment and/or take medication for the incorrect problem and potentially do more damage than good.

I was the same, fit and healthy, think I did the damage through heavy landscaping.

I think the worst of it will fade fairly quickly, but you may be left with lingering symptoms for a while. I never had excruciating pain, mine was always some pain but mainly nausea / dizziness. Had an MRI on my insurance, as they thought it could be a possible Syrinx, thank Christ it wasn't.

No surgery, just prolonged discomfort. Didn't take any time off work in relation to it, but often felt very unwell. The body is very good at healing these things over time though, thought I'd have to live with it forever, but had been much better over the last few months. Good luck, and get an MRI if you can. Very worthwhile.

Edited by Plastic

The immobility that comes with an injury is one of the most frustrating things BUT you cannot rush the healing process, nor underestimate the energy that the body uses when healing.

Take it easy on the recovery and it should remain strong.

All the best with it.

This happened to me about 4 years ago, it was horrible. As slipped disc in my lumbar region caused my entire left leg to go into spasm and I simply couldn't move. The NHS gave me strong painkillers and advised rest for a few weeks but due to work this was not practical. I went to a Chiropractor, within a week I was walking awkwardly again albeit with massive burning pain in my left leg. That faded in a month.

Weekly Chiro treatment did the trick. Then monthly after 6 weeks.

The best thing I did was to start exercise as soon as possible to get my core strength back, the spine needs support as well as supporting all the tissue around it. I still have a numb spot on the outside of my left foot, and sports massages have been necessary to get rid of the awful knotting in my calf muscle but I have been fine for the last 2 years now. Obviously, the neck is a very different thing but I would still advise visiting a Chiropractor. Sadly, I cannot recommend one around here as I lived in Coventry at the time.

I wish you luck chap.

Edited by Colinjb

I feel for you....last June I went to bed one evening feeling absolutely fine, but as soon as I got out of bed the following morning for work I had an excrutiating pain in the left hand side of my buttock. I hobbled around the lounge trying to walk it off but it just got worse and I ended up getting undressed and back in to bed.

To cut a long story short, I had the paramedics come out and they said I must have pulled a muscle, they gave me some painkillers and left me to it......three hours later after writhing around the bed in agony and my left leg going numb I called an ambulance and a few hours later I was in hospital.

The doctor diagnosed Bursitis which was incorrect as subsequent visits to my GP and an MRI proved that I had a bulging disc in my back, this in turn was pushing against the nerve that runs down my left leg which left me on crutches and a virtual cripple for 2 and a half months.

I'd never been ill in my life (51 years) and to suddenly go from being perfectly healthy to bedridden within a few hours was totally sobering. At first due to the misdiagnosis I was hoping to be back at work within a couple of weeks, but in the end I was off work 2 and a half months and even that was too soon.......9 months later I still have a limp and a dull/tingle/pain in part of my leg even though I've had physio and been doing excercises.

I really do wish you luck.

Gents, thanks so much for your replies really appreciated. I've not personally had an injury of this severity before and to be honest, I feel utterly gutted by it all, wracked with worry (what with the tingles, numbness and pains etc). I've heard that the road to recovery may not even be a full one and that there is no way telling, especially in this formative stage, how long it'll take to heal. I've read that some people have been quite fortunate and were operational and functioning relatively normally within the first 2-3 months, others have said it's taken a lot longer or worse still, they are still suffering after some considerable time.

I'm just getting my head around the fact that it could be a while for me - and I'd never thought I'd say it but to not be at work has been an absolute nightmare; mentally, as I'm not engaging with people, just sitting around and lattery because of the immobility factor. It all feels a bit lonely at the moment and whilst it is nowhere near the levels of pain I had last friday, it's still excruciating at times and has me doubled over. Heat/Cold treatment seems to work fairly well, but like everything, it's a temporary solution before the aggravation and pain kicks in again.

It's weird; I've never been a position where it's agonising and long-winded to dress myself, shower, eat and sleep and have taken those necessary but innocuous things for granted all these years. I'm pretty sure I'll be pretty darn more appreciative of being able-bodied if/when this eventually settles down.

I take it no-one here had surgery? Obviously that's a route I don't want to go down but the most frustrating thing is I cannot even be put in for an MRI until at least 6 weeks since it unfolded. Sadly, my BUPA doesn't cover diagnosis so I'll either have to wait or stump up the cash to go private for that (which I might do as I'd rather know what I'm up against for definite as opposed to continue to have osteopathic treatment and/or take medication for the incorrect problem and potentially do more damage than good.

Surgery?

I've not experienced this myself but my brother-in-law has had it done (C2/C3?) and was back to playing golf fairly promptly. He's about 75 and now he's going in for gall bladder removal. None of this has prevented him from drinking, at which he is Olympic class.

My secretary's husband (about 50) had more complicated problems up there in his neck and eventually had surgery on it after a wait. One disk removal and some pinning on another and he is now in slow recovery.

I feel for you, I have often had back problems and you cannot believe that you will ever be able to move again. Chiropractic treatment as necessary and follow the rules on twisting and lifting and regular exercise to strengthen it all.

I wish you all the best.

Very painful and you have my deepest sympathies. If all else fails, consider some Oriental remedies. Acupuncture may be worth a try and moxibustion for more demanding problems (Google it).

They worked for me. When I was living in Tokyo I had very bad lower back problems. A Japanese chiropractor fixed the problem with acupuncture but recommended a treatment of moxibustion. After this, she told me I would be OK for 20 years. 21 years later I found myself visiting another chiropractor in Cowes.

Gents, once again thanks so much for your kind words - does mean a lot, especially when I've had a bit of a bad day like today. I'm kinda thinking on the positive side though; where I am now in comparison to where I was last week is quite remarkable in terms of basic functions. I still can't cut my toe nails or put socks on but I am getting some sleep now and as long as I don't do anything too strenuous, I can pretty much manage the pain. That said though, the residual feeling of hopelessness hasn't abated yet. I guess it's just time that'll heal both mind and body.

I hope I'm well enough to go to Iceland next friday, but I do have my doubts. I can't seem to walk around or stand for any length of time without pain - all this despite being jacked up on naproxen, codeine and diazepam. Hopefully, this week will see a bit more progress.

Hadn't realised there has been so many people with relatively similar injuries! As I said before, felt quite lonely shuffling around my family and friends whom I didn't really want to engage in chat about my morbid, sorrowful injury. What's been heartening though is the amount of people who seemed to have come through the other side relatively ok, however long it took.

Thanks again, all.