My email to the club concerningpre-game music and atmosphere

sifter

Hello,

Some points to establish credibility

I've been attending home games since 1985 when I was 10 years old.

My daughter plays for Southampton Girls Development Squad

I'm a musician (see below for relevance)

Like many, i miss the the Dell, but times move on and we needed to move house. I get it.

However, a couple of things have changed in the last 10 years which are not for the best. I really hope that you reply to this, but more than that I hope it makes a difference.

If you have even a few mails like this one then you should take notice because most people would not take the time to write.

Issue are:

1. The loudness of the tannoy. It got louder this season. Its hard to hear the person next to me now. Ok if I was having to shout because of the noisy fans....but its because of the music loudness.

2. At the Dell, the singing of fans before the match was fantastic. Now this is impossible. Even if you turn the tannoy down, The music is played right up to kick-off, the fans cant compete. Its a football match, not a concert. After the player warm-up the music should stop, allowing 10 mins for the fans to 'warm-up' and for the players to stand in the tunnel and hear the fans singing and be greeted by loud cheers as opposed to what they come out to now, which brings me onto...

3. That song.The one that we've started playing directly before kick-off. The one that sounds like a bad Frank Sinatra impersonator singing 'We are Southampton!' in an 'American trying to sound like an englishman' type way. Its awful. Really awful. Please ditch this song'. Its embarrassing.

If none of the above change I will stop going to matches eventually. It might take another 10 or 20 years but if at 42 I'm feeling isolated, by the time I'm 60 I will not want to be at St Mary's.

I realise if we implement all 3 of my suggestions above, we would not be in keeping with other premiership football clubs.

But isn't that the point?

'We are Southampton'

We should do it the Southampton way!

Your welcome to your opinion, and do agree with point, but at the same time I would say does it all really matter. It will all change and adapt again every season, just ride along with it, in 20 years the football match day experience will be very different anyway as technology, culture and expectation rapidly accelerates.

3. That song.The one that we've started playing directly before kick-off. The one that sounds like a bad Frank Sinatra impersonator singing 'We are Southampton!' in an 'American trying to sound like an englishman' type way. Its awful. Really awful. Please ditch this song'. Its embarrassing.

No, keep it. Quite like the curiosity of a Shane Long cover version being used before the games.

In fairness, my 67 year old father couldn't care less about the musical trappings, he comes for the football. So the above points make little difference. Sorry chap, I respect your personal perspective but it's mere window dressing.

nothing more exciting as a nipper than waiting for le tissiers name to be mentioned, being passed bits of ripped up paper so we could chuck them in the air as it happened. Could be the excitement of youth, could eb the excitement of the player, could be that youre right and there was more atmosphere waiting for the teams to come out. Love to have that replicated but people are in finishing beers/placing bets/ eating hotdogs and crisps and some of that atmosphere has gone. Maybe concourse shops should open earlier (be a lot nicer to encourage people in) and close 20 mins before kick off to ensure the stadium is as close to full as it can be. So much of football grounds detracts from the experience now. Maybe having standing and wanting to get a good spot made a difference in some places, maybe standing in general did as its so much less passive generally. Going to watch the cricket i love to be there early and take in the atmosphere, watch the players warm up etc, it adds to teh days excitement. Im not sure how they do it but recreating that atmosphere that makes me feel like a kid again before the first whistle would genuinely bring in fans i agree. I would ssay though that threats to pay to go to games for 40 yrs then stop are not that much of a threat!

That song is absolute cringe. I and everyone around me hates it. We are not west ham or some arrogant club that needs an anthem pre-match to define who they are.

We know exactly who we are! We sing are own damn song and we don't need to start changing our identity and copy clubs like west ham and Liverpool which none of us would frankly want to support or be a part of.

Yeah for goodness sake please don't give them an excuse to have a rumage through the bin for those old ropey speakers to put back up.

That Southampton My way song is funny, because it gets abuse on here, yet when it gets played at SMS you can hear more and more people singing along towards the end, and it always gets a good round of applause. (Not it's not "thank F that's over")

....... my mate started off "oh no not that bloody song", then stood at Wembley when they gave us a little snippet I was just about to gee him up to start singing along, but before I could he was already singing along!!!!!!. :lol::lol::lol::D

Hello,

Like many, i miss the the Dell, but times move on and we needed to move house. I get it.

However, a couple of things have changed in the last 10 years which are not for the best. I really hope that you reply to this, but more than that I hope it makes a difference.

If you have even a few mails like this one then you should take notice because most people would not take the time to write.

Issue are:

1. The loudness of the tannoy. It got louder this season. Its hard to hear the person next to me now. Ok if I was having to shout because of the noisy fans....but its because of the music loudness.

2. At the Dell, the singing of fans before the match was fantastic. Now this is impossible. Even if you turn the tannoy down, The music is played right up to kick-off, the fans cant compete. Its a football match, not a concert. After the player warm-up the music should stop, allowing 10 mins for the fans to 'warm-up' and for the players to stand in the tunnel and hear the fans singing and be greeted by loud cheers as opposed to what they come out to now, which brings me onto...

If none of the above change I will stop going to matches eventually. It might take another 10 or 20 years but if at 42 I'm feeling isolated, by the time I'm 60 I will not want to be at St Mary's.

I realise if we implement all 3 of my suggestions above, we would not be in keeping with other premiership football clubs.

'We are Southampton'

Would suspect this would lead to about 20 minutes of silence as it does at half time, although I agree that song is f*cking pathetic and embarrassing!

At the end of the day, as it does with most clubs moving to new grounds, the atmosphere has suffered as a result of moving to St Mary's.

Personally, as a regular home and away attendee, I think our support is terrible. We generally take good numbers where ever we play, but we seem to lack imagination and people seem to be afraid of singing something new and therefore we are stuck with OWTS every 5 minutes.

For me, we should sing OWTS at kick off, after a goal and on the 85/90 minute mark to spur the lads on for the final few minutes.

As much as I hate them, I think the club should introduce the clappy things, as then even those that don't want to sing/stand can create an atmosphere (it seems to do the trick at Leicester).

Would also like to see the Markus flag (as at Wembley) go around the stadium before every home game (should help build the atmosphere pre game).

Hello,

Issue are:

'We are Southampton'

Agree. In a misguided attempt to generate atmosphere they kill it.

The problem I have with the PA system is more its clarity than its volume though the volume is a problem when they play crap over it.

The club seemingly can't win with the tannoy system. Up until this season it was pointless, you couldn't hear interviews on pitch, score announcements. This was a major gripe for quite a few people and the club did listen to this, and bar some tweaking in the early part of the season (where it was seriously loud...)! they have got the balance right now. I don't think it's too loud, and it's certainly not too quiet anymore. It's the right balance.

I think the club should be applauded for actually listening to our concerns on that and improving it, rather than using the improvement as a stick to bash them with!

That song would have been loved by all if it had come out at a different time rather than just after a meek exit from the Europa. If we had gone through, everyone would be bang up for it.

Lol, what nonsense.

Hello,

Issue are:

'We are Southampton'

Hmmmm!

Hello,

Issue are:

'We are Southampton'

I sent an email to David Luker about this kind of thing in 2009. Saints went into admin the following day. For some reason they didn't fix it.

Isn't it nice to be able to worry about the little stuff while the big stuff takes care of itself?

Agreed re the utterly guff Sinatra ripoff, it's garbage by any measure and nothing is going to strengthen the link between it and Saints. I've always hated music immediately before kick off and after goals too, drowns out the natural atmosphere.

PS The Premiership hasn't existed for 10 years - in which time the club has actually fixed the PA.

Just to answer some of the comments:

I should have said PA, not tannoy. Thanks for correcting me.

'That song would have been loved by all if it had come out at a different time...' - I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it. I didn't equate it to any particular time of the season. In truth, I thought it was Ralph Krueger singing, or one of his mates or something. I assumed that it would never be played again...but it seems like they are trying to make it part of our pre-match ritual. I appreciate opinions are like arseholes, but this 'song' is an embarrassing joke.

'If none of the above change I will stop going to matches eventually.' - I say this just because I'm grumpy now and the older people get the grumpier they get. Obviously, I can watch matches on tv and/or just go to away games etc.... I hope It wouldn't come to that, but I used to get to the ground really early to savour the atmosphere - I dont do that anymore, because there is no pre-match atmosphere. Just music.

I'm glad they put a decent PA system in by the way. I'm not moaning about that. I'd just rather they didn't play music on it 10 mins before the match starts, rather than 10 seconds before the match starts so we can get some pre-match atmosphere back.

I think your recollections of the Dell may be based on several decades ago?

I started going regularly in the 90s and there was pre-match music. "On a Rope" by Rocket from the Crypt seemed to be a particular favourite and I think I remember a bit of Haddaway as well. Anyway, as the teams lined up in the tunnel, the introduction to One Vision by Queen would play. Jason Dodd would run out and boot the ball in the air when it moved from the intro bit into the actual song.

So, if the atmosphere has dwindled it is probably down to the lack of terracing, rather than any soundtrack over the PA.

That song would have been loved by all if it had come out at a different time rather than just after a meek exit from the Europa. If we had gone through, everyone would be bang up for it.

Lol. Yeah we are all so impressionable and is the association that we don't like.

You've nailed it!

PA is now audible, so I have no problem with that.

The 'My Way' cover is unbelievably bad and corny and I have yet to meet a Saints fan who thinks it's the right thing to do. Even the commentators on Radio Solent think it's rubbish. As for people singing along to it.... I sit in the family section and no one around me does. In fact what usually happens is a chorus of groans along with quite a few comments about how rubbish the song is.

The other point I'm going to make about that song is the meaning people draw from it. For some people, myself included, the song is associated with things coming to an end, or a parting of ways. 'My Way' is a popular choice at funerals for this reason.

So when I first heard it come over the PA I found myself wondering if this was Kat saying goodbye. The club should have done more research before choosing this song to play just before kick off.

Of course that's just my opinion and I know some of you will disagree.

No they wouldn't. It's s**t.

Totally agree. The only good thing about our recent lack of home games has been not having to listen to that song. It completely kills any atmosphere that might be building when the teams come onto the pitch.

The Saints Are Coming is a perfect build up tune as they come out the tunnel. After that, let the fans take over.

As an aside I don't know why our fans don't sing The Saints Are Coming. Just need to change the middle lines.

Totally agree. The only good thing about our recent lack of home games has been not having to listen to that song. It completely kills any atmosphere that might be building when the teams come onto the pitch.

The Saints Are Coming is a perfect build up tune as they come out the tunnel. After that, let the fans take over.

As an aside I don't know why our fans don't sing The Saints Are Coming. Just need to change the middle lines.

Shame they played that Southampton song at Wembley!!

Nope, it was particularly embarrassing because of its association with Trump at the time. It really is awful, cringeworthy. Problem is that no-one these days tries to build atmosphere before game everyone too bloody interested in downing **** in the bar before kick-off.

I think we all know why atmosphere is bad. Saints might not have been the most vocal anyway, but all seaters have done their job and more. It was brought in to stop in stadia hooliganism (and not to prevent another Hillsborough). Isn't it about time that we changed things back to as they were? Hillsborough can be avoided easily enough and was but one game out of tens of thousands to have problems. Now that we don't have fencing, and can control numbers better (hopefully). The other one that probably could be avoided easily enough is Ibrox (1971).

So forget the songs being played over the PA, the way to improve atmosphere is to get "safe standing" and a decent size rather than a token irrelevance. At BOTH ends of the ground as well. To me the biggest difference between the Dell and SMS is that at SMS, one end behind the goal is even quieter than where I sit in the Kingsland, while at the Dell, the terraces at both ends made noise.

The problem with these kinds of issues are that they are totally down to personal preference and won't be changed for that reason.

Personally the loud music is fine but the Shane Long "My Way" is crap, it will never be sung along to by the whole crowd and it confuses/amuses the away fans.

My local ground is Home Park and their stadium announcer has so much more enthusiasm than ours. I don't think it's his fault though, I seem to remember Matchday Uncovered for the Sunderland game showed he wanted to jazz up the announcement for our eighth but they said no just do it as you would normally. I did wonder if being a bit more happy clappy was a lower league thing but if I remember rightly it was the same boring ****e when we were in League One.

People are massively missing the point here, the reason the atmosphere pre kick off used to be better is that terraces meant you paid on the day and turned up anything from an hour to half an hour early to "get your spot" instead of staying down the pub. In that time the kids would turn up first to get their places, mess around watching the warm and have a sing song, by the time the older lads had turned up you'd already have things going and the atmosphere would build from there.

Also the fact it was unallocated and pay on the day meant that groups would turn up together, stand together and create atmosphere in pockets that'd spread (everyone had their "bit" mine was the Milton under the roof) and as unpopular as it is there were far less women on the terraces so it'd be groups of lads stood together who almost always make more noise.

The Sinatra song is horrendous. I honestly can't believe they are carrying on with it? Like multiple others above have said I've yet to meet another fan that slightly likes it, everyone hates it and around me the groans/ shouts of "FFS shut that **** up" are getting louder every game.

As Angelman says though, the only way the atmosphere will actively be improved is to install safe standing and incentivise the "lost" age group of 18 - 25 year olds to get ST's and leave it to them to do the rest. Really would like to see Southampton FC take a lead on this, seems a "tap in" on a PR front, no one in their right mind that has looked at evidence around it would be against it, even the Spirit of Shakily group are behind it. More people in the ground, lower some costs (and make a big deal out of it like Dortmund etc do with their €150 ST's - albeit only a few of them) = better atmosphere and a happier (younger) support base.

Would suspect this would lead to about 20 minutes of silence as it does at half time, although I agree that song is f*cking pathetic and embarrassing!

At the end of the day, as it does with most clubs moving to new grounds, the atmosphere has suffered as a result of moving to St Mary's.

Personally, as a regular home and away attendee, I think our support is terrible. We generally take good numbers where ever we play, but we seem to lack imagination and people seem to be afraid of singing something new and therefore we are stuck with OWTS every 5 minutes.

For me, we should sing OWTS at kick off, after a goal and on the 85/90 minute mark to spur the lads on for the final few minutes.

As much as I hate them, I think the club should introduce the clappy things, as then even those that don't want to sing/stand can create an atmosphere (it seems to do the trick at Leicester).

Would also like to see the Markus flag (as at Wembley) go around the stadium before every home game (should help build the atmosphere pre game).

Have to agree with that, none of the songs we sing are original, they're just regurgitated songs from other clubs with names to changed to suit our players. What we need are songs about Southampton as a club or a city. Our fans also seem to have a mentality of thinking they're too cool to sing what they class as cringey songs, case in point is Palace, the songs might be ****e, but the atmosphere is good, that new Man U song everyone moans about, again probably ****e but at least it gets the noise and atmosphere up

People are massively missing the point here, the reason the atmosphere pre kick off used to be better is that terraces meant you paid on the day and turned up anything from an hour to half an hour early to "get your spot" instead of staying down the pub. In that time the kids would turn up first to get their places, mess around watching the warm and have a sing song, by the time the older lads had turned up you'd already have things going and the atmosphere would build from there.

Also the fact it was unallocated and pay on the day meant that groups would turn up together, stand together and create atmosphere in pockets that'd spread (everyone had their "bit" mine was the Milton under the roof) and as unpopular as it is there were far less women on the terraces so it'd be groups of lads stood together who almost always make more noise.

Exactly.

The Sinatra song will get binned eventually. It was a nice idea, having an 'anthem', but that song clearly hasn't resonated. Much better if we come up with more chants, allowing us to treat OWTS like Liverpool fans treat YNWA. But I'm not optimistic!

The OP is right. It's feeble and dire.

The only defence can be that they need to move from this slightly tacky and crap stage in order to get to some NFL-nirvana land, in which the Red Arrows fly over the stadium every time we score and Beyoncé does the half time entertainment with a special effects show costing millions.

If we can't get to the top of that mountain (and I'm not even sure I'd want to), we shouldn't be ****ing around in the foothills.

Have to agree with that, none of the songs we sing are original, they're just regurgitated songs from other clubs with names to changed to suit our players. What we need are songs about Southampton as a club or a city. Our fans also seem to have a mentality of thinking they're too cool to sing what they class as cringey songs, case in point is Palace, the songs might be ****e, but the atmosphere is good, that new Man U song everyone moans about, again probably ****e but at least it gets the noise and atmosphere up

None of Palaces songs are original and that United song was nicked from their non-league counterparts, FC United.

Fyi I actually did suggest that chant for us last season after hearing them chant it and long before Man United fans started, but all the people who moan about a lack of originality are sadly nowhere to be seen when you try to get a new chant going...

Woolston Ferry is another example, gets sung every now and then in parts but you generally just get weird looks from people.

None of Palaces songs are original and that United song was nicked from their non-league counterparts, FC United.

Fyi I actually did suggest that chant for us last season after hearing them chant it and long before Man United fans started, but all the people who moan about a lack of originality are sadly nowhere to be seen when you try to get a new chant going...

Woolston Ferry is another example, gets sung every now and then in parts but you generally just get weird looks from people.

As much as a tiny handful of fans try to make out that it is, that Woolston Ferry song is not a thing and never will be.

Mainly because it's a pile of sh it. But also because its about something that even when it existed 40 years ago was irrelevant to half the city.

But it gets sung by a handful of self-satisfied sorts with an air of "we remember printed fanzines" smugness.

That song is basically the football chant equivalent of smug men with beards loudly speaking in Cornish in a pub in Truro because they are trying to "preserve the language".

Edited by CB Fry

The Sinatra song will get binned eventually. It was a nice idea, having an 'anthem', but that song clearly hasn't resonated. Much better if we come up with more chants, allowing us to treat OWTS like Liverpool fans treat YNWA. But I'm not optimistic!

We oft get criticised for just having OWTS. Fine. But Liverpool, they sing YNWA and "Liverpooool, Liverpoool" and that's about it, isn't it?

We oft get criticised for just having OWTS. Fine. But Liverpool, they sing YNWA and "Liverpooool, Liverpoool" and that's about it, isn't it?

Their home support one of the worst in the league, Everton just as bad. Our home support is definitely top 10 in the league IMO. Away (like all clubs) they are much better, we ripped off the Lambert and Schneiderlin songs from them so they have some decent stuff. Nowhere near as varied as United, by miles the best in the League (West Ham excellent this season, City and Chelsea always loud - you would be following teams that good though).

Nah, they turn out a few others and don't sing YNWA during games, other than at the end and if they're 3-0 down or something. Liverpool away fans aren't as good as Utd, Chelsea etc but beat ours I think.