Four Saints in England squad

fez

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton Defenders: Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Phil Jones, Michael Keane, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Kyle Walker Midfielders: Dele Alli, Michail Antonio, Ross Barkley, Eric Dier, Adam Lallana, Jesse Lingard, Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nathan Redmond, Raheem Sterling, James Ward-Prowse Strikers: Jermain Defoe, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy

Well deserved all, I think we'd all question Fraser's inclusion but if you don't watch him every week like we do then he's probably got his past reputation helping him out. Walcott not included is a bit of a surprise but Gazza said he left him out so he can look at some of the other players (presumably Redmond/Antonio). Seems odd though that he's included the Ox?

Anyway, great news for JWP/Redmond, can't wait to see them get a result against Germany that shows the world that 'football's coming home' so we can go out in the second round next year.

4 current and 5 ex-Saints in the squad is remarkable, will definitely wind up the Skates who attend England games in quite big numbers.

I expect Forster will drop out as usual, in fact i bet a few from that squad will drop out following this weekends matches, always the case.

Anyone tempted to buy tickets for Lithuania game now on the back of this? i remember going to Chile home game to see Lallana and Rodriguez debuts back in 2013 and buzzing for Lambert's debut against Scotland, doesn't feel quite the same this time.

I expect Bertrand to play ahead of Shaw in both games, hope Redmond and Ward-Prowse get on at some point to join the club of Southampton players who have been capped by England.

Since returning to the Premier League we've had ;

Forster

Clyne

Shaw

Bertrand

Lallana

Lambert

Rodriguez

soon to be Redmond, Ward-Prowse

plus Chambers got a full England cap shortly after leaving.

Even Alex Mccarthy was in the squad earlier in the season :lol:

JWP to Liverpool tapped up by Lallana. Calling it.

I honestly dont think Liverpool can afford what would be needed to get JWP to leave Saints.......... would have to be a very very large contract to get him to leave us, can onl ysee teams like chelsea / city and united being able to get him to turn his head.

English, two legs, plays for Man U. Simple.

9 former and current Saints, would have been 10 if Walcott had been included. Stephens next.

I thought the Walcott omission was a bit odd - is he injured? Seems to be the only Arsenal player trying at the moment.

Sorry but we are all deluded if we think JWP and Redmond are international quality at this moment, shows how awful the England team is, 90s up until 2006 neither would of been anywhere need the side.

True but look at who else is there. Rashford and his 3 league goals, Shaw who doesn't even play for Utd these days and Lingard who is usually a 20 min substitute.

Struggling to think of a weaker squad in England's history TBH. I remember c.2004 being frustrated that Beattie and Phillips weren't in the squad. These days Ormerod would be starting.

Sorry but we are all deluded if we think JWP and Redmond are international quality at this moment, shows how awful the England team is, 90s up until 2006 neither would of been anywhere need the side.

Well I haven't heard one pundit and hardly any other fans say they don't deserve to be in the squad , make of that what you will !

England teams have been going down hill for years if anything rather than improving the English national team the PL has eroded it. We don't seem to have any identity as a national side and most star players at PL teams aren't English anymore giving England Mangers a pretty small pool of top English players to choose from.

JWP continues to divide opinion, I think if England had anyone else other than Southgate in charge then JWP wouldn't have been called up, it's largely because he was captain for the U21s under Southgate. That's not taking anything away from him though, he's certainly put in better and more consistent performances this season. Redmond fully deserves his call-up. FF will certainly be 3rd choice and Heaton should start. And Bertrand definitely deserves to start.

England teams have been going down hill for years if anything rather than improving the English national team the PL has eroded it. We don't seem to have any identity as a national side and most star players at PL teams aren't English anymore giving England Mangers a pretty small pool of top English players to choose from.

We haven't really ever been a super power though have we? It's been a long time since we really had a chance in a tournament and even when we have been good, say under Robson as an example, we were only saved by one group game when it looked like we were going out. I think the view that the EPL is ruining our national team is just one of those things that if said enough people start to believe.

It's an honour for JWP and Redmond and well deserved recognition. Well done to them. Hopefully Southgate will get the team playing as a team and include some of the new blood!

We really do have some t###s as fans. We should be celebrating jwp and Redmond call ups. Yet still some have to moan ..... funny how pundits and others think the call ups are well deserved.

Well done to both and once again showing sfc to be a progressive club that improves players. Long may it continue

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Struggling to think of a weaker squad in England's history TBH. I remember c.2004 being frustrated that Beattie and Phillips weren't in the squad. These days Ormerod would be starting.

I'm sure i remember a stat from the time that Beattie had scored more goals that season than all the other forwards in the squad combined? Something along those lines.

What a load of bowlarks. Well done to both JWP and Nathan. How many Saints fans p1ss on their own parade?

COYR

It's nothing to do with p1ssing on our parade and all to do with opinions.

My opinion is that FF doesn't deserve to be in the squad. JWP has had a handful of half decent games, so shouldn't be near the squad yet & I'd have Walcott over Redmond any day of the week ( and I've been supportive of Redmond this season, when most were knocking him). Without a doubt this is one of the weakest English squads I can remember in 45 years of watching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

We haven't really ever been a super power though have we? It's been a long time since we really had a chance in a tournament and even when we have been good, say under Robson as an example, we were only saved by one group game when it looked like we were going out. I think the view that the EPL is ruining our national team is just one of those things that if said enough people start to believe.

It's an honour for JWP and Redmond and well deserved recognition. Well done to them. Hopefully Southgate will get the team playing as a team and include some of the new blood!

Who said anything about being a super power the simple fact is there is a much smaller group of talented English players in the top English league than there was in the old 1st Division. The home grown rule was brought in to try and change that (though it hasn't changed much) so its hardly a myth.

We really do have some t###s as fans. We should be celebrating jwp and Redmond call ups. Yet still some have to moan ..... funny how pundits and others think the call ups are well deserved.

Well done to both and once again showing sfc to be a progressive club that improves players. Long may it continue

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Probably got something to do with the fact that every time one of our players has been picked for England, they tend to become c@nts afterwards and agitating to leave having been tapped up.......

Sometimes it's not about putting the best individuals together, but more about getting all the right ingredients into a team with some workers in there willing to do the work. The Dutch squad that got to 3rd place during the Brazil WC, for example, was definitely one of the weaker sides (looking at number of 'stars') they'd had in decades.

The important thing here is that they have been called up to the squad. JWP and Redmond will principally be there to get more experience of being part of the senior England set up (having trained with them a few times in the past). It also gives the manager a chance to try out alternative plans i.e could Redmond put pressure on Sterling or Walcott, could JWP form a partnership with other central midfielders which do a job for the team.

Looking at the players individually and on their performance for Saints only gives Southgate part of the information he needs to put together a successful team.

Hopefully they get a chance to show what they can do during the run up to the next World Cup, although if Redmond continues to develop he probably won't be a Saints player by then.

It's nothing to do with p1ssing on our parade and all to do with opinions.

My opinion is that FF doesn't deserve to be in the squad. JWP has had a handful of half decent games, so shouldn't be near the squad yet & I'd have Walcott over Redmond any day of the week ( and I've been supportive of Redmond this season, when most were knocking him). Without a doubt this is one of the weakest English squads I can remember in 45 years of watching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As shown by the inclusion of Jake Livermore !!

There used to be a joke (1980's probably) that FAI stood for Find Another Irishman as they trawled ancestry for players. I don't think the FA are too far behind that now, scrambling for Premiership players.

But you can't take it away from JWP & Redmond it's a tremendous achievement for them, hope they don't become Lallana's after rubbing shoulder with the England squad.

One thing we seem to buck the trend on is players performing better for club than country, albeit at U21 level, where JWP seems to make a greater contribution for them than us (perhaps same can be said for Steven Davis as well for NI), wonder if he might continue this trend at senior level.