If Man Utd win the Europa League...

JibMcdo

...and finish outside the top 4, and having won the EFL cup, and with the FA cup final being contested between two teams in the top 6, will 8th become a Europa League qualifying spot?

Straw clutching I know.

No. The extra CL place comes at the expense of one Europa slot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie
The extra CL spot comes at the expense of one Europa place.

To play devils advocate......do we really want Europa league next season? Would it be more beneficial for us not to have the extra games?

This season feels a little like one step back, to take more forward. We seem to be playing better since Claude has had more time to coach the team (or this could be the Barry effect). Perhaps in the context of the next 3/4 seasons, doing without Europe next season would be a benefit?

To play devils advocate......do we really want Europa league next season? Would it be more beneficial for us not to have the extra games?

This season feels a little like one step back, to take more forward. We seem to be playing better since Claude has had more time to coach the team (or this could be the Barry effect). Perhaps in the context of the next 3/4 seasons, doing without Europe next season would be a benefit?

*facepalm*

Ofc we want regular Europe, get our name on the map and love it as a fan.

I understand the gist if your post- but what are you implying for next season- that if we finish say 6th next season we give up that Europa spot so we can try and finish hugh again the following season??? Basically give up the reward from the hard work?

So yes we do want europa every season- also signifies that we have had a successful season- (either top 6/7 or we won a cup)

To play devils advocate......do we really want Europa league next season?

Personally no, we totally ****ed up getting out of that relatively simple group and it affected league form. But the club do, the players do and the manager does in order to progress the club so thats all that matters and counts.

Its irrelevant, we wont get in this season.

Edited by beatlesaint

Of course we want to be in the Europa League next season. And any season we can.

Of course we want Europe if we can get it. The same goes for cup runs and cup finals. What we need though is fans that realise that if we are in Europe or go on a good cup run it will more often than not stop us finishing best of the rest. For a club our size fighting on multiple fronts is a tough ask as this season has shown.

If we are serious about becoming a 'relative' force in football then European football is a must for the majority of seasons. Unlikely this year as we had too crap a period between October and February but with a reasonably settled squad next year plus some key acquisitions, we could get there for 18/19 and look to maintain it from then on.

If we are serious about becoming a 'relative' force in football then European football is a must for the majority of seasons. Unlikely this year as we had too crap a period between October and February but with a reasonably settled squad next year plus some key acquisitions, we could get there for 18/19 and look to maintain it from then on.

do you think we will have a settled squad again this summer?

if so, why?

...and finish outside the top 4, and having won the EFL cup, and with the FA cup final being contested between two teams in the top 6, will 8th become a Europa League qualifying spot?

Straw clutching I know.

As mentioned above the EL spot is lost (actually converted to a CL spot). But if, in addition to Utd winning EL and finishing outside the top 4, Leicester win the CL, then the 4th placed team loses its CL berth and they drop into the EL. That would make one club and its fans very pissed off. Pick and choose which team you'd like that to be. My choice is Spurs, but I can see Liverpool and Everton being other popular choices.

There were people questionning the same thing last season too. Last season I took the view of "of course we want Europe, otherwise what is the point of aiming for 8th every season?" However, given that we've been in Europe two seasons running, and this season our league form really suffered as a result, I wouldn't be unhappy about missing out. The reason is, if (and I know it's a big if) we can keep this team together and make one or two additions, we potentially have something really good and I reckon we can surprise a few people next year by being more than a team that hovers around 9th or 10th all season.

Listen to me, complaining about the prospect of finishing 9th or 10th... But a season of challenging or at least being on the fringes of that top 6 is much more appealing, and more attainable if we're not juggling Europe - plus it would mean getting back in Europe the season after anyway!

As mentioned above the EL spot is lost (actually converted to a CL spot). But if, in addition to Utd winning EL and finishing outside the top 4, Leicester win the CL, then the 4th placed team loses its CL berth and they drop into the EL. That would make one club and its fans very pissed off. Pick and choose which team you'd like that to be. My choice is Spurs, but I can see Liverpool and Everton being other popular choices.

I hope Everton don't finish any higher than 7th. Even if they get Europe I wouldn't mind as it will give Koeman fewer chances to take his precious holidays.

I'd like that to happen to Spurs ideally, but would also enjoy cheat-mode-enabled City missing out, or seeing Mourinho's incredulous face. Not sure I could put up with Jose's inevitable moaning though!

Of course we want to be in the Europa League next season. And any season we can.

Tbh I'd happily take qualifying for Europe every other year if in the alternate seasons we're camped in the top 7. It looks like we're set up to make Europe through league position when we're not in Europe, and to try and get it through the cups when we are. Cup draws can make a big difference to the likelihood of that though.

Of course we want Europe if we can get it. The same goes for cup runs and cup finals. What we need though is fans that realise that if we are in Europe or go on a good cup run it will more often than not stop us finishing best of the rest. For a club our size fighting on multiple fronts is a tough ask as this season has shown.

Far too much sense in this post.

The only way we will step up is by getting used to Europa league every season and developing the squad to manage games every 3 days.

Might help us keep players, as well as justify spending to improve the squad.

Of course we want Europe every year!

So will 7th might get a Europa League place?

17 points off with 2 games in hand and another 10 to play may be a lost cause....

but win the games in hand while Everton drop points, and I can dream.....

The only way we will step up is by getting used to Europa league every season and developing the squad to manage games every 3 days.

Might help us keep players, as well as justify spending to improve the squad.

Of course we want Europe every year!

So will 7th might get a Europa League place?

17 points off with 2 games in hand and another 10 to play may be a lost cause....

but win the games in hand while Everton drop points, and I can dream.....

Everyone will learn from this season , Staggered arrivals pretty season due to euros, new manager , new system , new players and the loss of some of our most important players ment we would always have a struggle Imo !