Spurs 2 Saints 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

I don't think anyone is claiming Austin is better than Gabby but Gabby is injured, possibly for up to six weeks, and could be out for much of the rest of the season. Austin is never going to be the complete footballer but he does know where the back of the net is so if he can come back that has to be a positive. I think it speaks volumes about Jrod and Long, this season, that despite being out for months Austin is still our top scorer this season (with 9 goals all comps) and Gabby is our second highest (with 6 after only a handful of games).

Exactly.

Thoughts from yesterday .....

Gabba getting injured is a big loss .....we went back to being toothless as soon as he went off !

Ericksons Goal could have been blocked if the two CBs had more experience and closed him down , they stood and watched , Bertrand saw the threat but couldnt get across in time . I honestly believe VVD certainly and Caceres probably would have seen the threat and blocked the shot .

JWP ...who gets so much negative on here I thought stepped up yesterday , he was more mobile going forward and is developing a bite to his game . Additionally I think if he does win a cap it may be the catalyst for him to push on .

Romeu ...Had the measure of Wanyama and i thought he could have been sent off for a second yellow very easily for the foul on OR

Spuds have walked everyone at white hart lane , we were very unlucky not to come away with at least a point .....a very good team is being built here but we could do with a bit of luck TBH

Davis wasn't the only one, Ward-Prowse was all but bloody invisible in comparison, how he contrived to score is anybody's guess, Davis, Redmond & W-P should have been off at HT. Agree Hojberg should have been given some time. We've lost Boufal, his head is not here anymore. Can't see him staying in the summer.

It was telling that he marched straight down the tunnel at full time without shaking anyones hands or acknowledging the supporters.

With 15 days to plan and prepare i expected more.

Spurs outplayed us in the 1st half and 2nd half they allowed us to have more of the ball in our own half.

We got a goal and should have kicked on, we didn't. Lots of huff and puff but didnt test Lloris again. Simply no threat or ideas going forward. Classic Saints in 2016

Last 15 mins when we should have been going for it, spurs looked more likely. Even when the 5 minutes added on came up - we didnt even manage to get in the Spurs half and the game whimpers out.

Postives: FF made 3 top saves in 1st half, Romeu looked good in 2nd half.... Have i missed any others?

Just expected a bit more zip and a clear game plan after 15 days of preparation.

Weve lost 5 of the last 7 but mentioning any negatives is "trolling"

Credit the skate for doing it's research...

Welp. I thought we did well to get the goal back. Was expecting at least two more from Spurs.

Yet again the ref makes the wrong call on a potentially game changing moment. Never would have happened with a TMO.

Now to see how bad the injury to Gabbiadini is. Rest of the strikers simply have to step up and get scoring.

Gabba went off after around 30 minutes. We scored a goal in the second half.

Yeah but you'd put your house on Gabbi making something off the half chances we created, second half, rather than Long. With Gabbi off we looked more like early season saints huffing and puffing but lacking quality in the final third.

My youngest reminded me about the penalty Ali won at St Mary's this morning.

I genuinely don't believe things even themselves out. No one has ever actually proved that.

The bigger clubs get more of the important decisions. Don't think that's in doubt. Ali maybe a great footballer, but he is a sneaky little get. That challenge in the Europa League was appalling. He is prone to a dive or two too.

Why wouldn't Friend let Long on?? He's a muppet too.

I don't think we played particularly well, but we do have good pace & now break so much quicker than we did earlier in the season. We have seen teams come to SMS, sit & hit us on the break. That's the style we employ against the top 6. I don't have an issue with it at all.

I also believe we need another strong holding midfielder. Maybe Hojberg will come good? He is certainly young enough, but looks as though some of his confidence is shot.

As many have said, more worried about Gabbi's injury.

That must be a world record. "Pushing on" for 6 very looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng booooriiiiiiiiiiiing years. Will he ever finish "pushing on"??????????? Perhaps he could push on far enough to sign for Carlisle.

Thoughts from yesterday .....

Gabba getting injured is a big loss .....we went back to being toothless as soon as he went off !

Ericksons Goal could have been blocked if the two CBs had more experience and closed him down , they stood and watched , Bertrand saw the threat but couldnt get across in time . I honestly believe VVD certainly and Caceres probably would have seen the threat and blocked the shot .

JWP ...who gets so much negative on here I thought stepped up yesterday , he was more mobile going forward and is developing a bite to his game . Additionally I think if he does win a cap it may be the catalyst for him to push on .

Romeu ...Had the measure of Wanyama and i thought he could have been sent off for a second yellow very easily for the foul on OR

Spuds have walked everyone at white hart lane , we were very unlucky not to come away with at least a point .....a very good team is being built here but we could do with a bit of luck TBH

Was at the game so don't know if it was shown on TV but JWP put in a tough challenge on Wanyama very early on in the game which Wanyama wasn't very happy about and kicked out slightly and they had brief words! I thought he was good yesterday, even goal aside, vast improvement this season I actually like seeing him on the team sheet now. Romeu was absolutely superb second half yesterday, some of his tackles were exceptional. But Dembele is ridiculous, so strong that it meant he'd attract two or three of our players at a time just to tackle him which left room for Wanyama, Eriksen and Alli, and that's where most of their play came from.

Couple of Spurs fans in our London office. Fair assessment; Said we were very poor in first half but better 2nd. They both felt that Spurs were comfortable and capable of going another gear if needed.

Both thankful for Shane Long and his inability to stay onside.

That must be a world record. "Pushing on" for 6 very looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng booooriiiiiiiiiiiing years. Will he ever finish "pushing on"??????????? Perhaps he could push on far enough to sign for Carlisle.

It's getting a bit too obvious and boring, larry. Are you aware there are more players in our squad than the one you don't like?

Talk about obsessed. Did he sh*g your missus?

He's 22 years old. So those 6 'long boring' years were essentially his football formative years - his learning from what, age 17. He has now made the full England squad and continues to play regularly in the Premier league. If he was one of my players, as a Manager, I'd be delighted with his progress.

His best years are still to come as well - yes you could argue that he doesn't get enough goals at the moment - but dead ball delivery is not all about hitting the top corner every time.

Give the lad a chance.

Edited by Micky
Removed 'arguably' from - "His best years are arguably still to come as well". It's not 'arguable' at all...!

I don't think anyone is claiming Austin is better than Gabby but Gabby is injured, possibly for up to six weeks, and could be out for much of the rest of the season. Austin is never going to be the complete footballer but he does know where the back of the net is so if he can come back that has to be a positive. I think it speaks volumes about Jrod and Long, this season, that despite being out for months Austin is still our top scorer this season (with 9 goals all comps) and Gabby is our second highest (with 6 after only a handful of games).

Exactly +2

Why do some feel they need to denigrate one player to promote the other? Both are capable and solid goal scorers in the PL. As stated, Austin has missed 3 months and is still our top scorer, he's not chopped liver. Gabbi is a more complete player for sure, Austin is better in the air though. I would ideally like to see a way to get them both on the field at the same time. They both score but have different strengths. However this would probably mean going to a more standard 4-4-2 (or the like).

Couple of Spurs fans in our London office. Fair assessment; Said we were very poor in first half but better 2nd. They both felt that Spurs were comfortable and capable of going another gear if needed.

Thats why they were oh so comfortabel and not begging for the final whistle, surely they should have just upped the gear and got the 3rd goal to kill us off. I assume they didnt do it so that they could keep it interesting for the Sky viewers.

They were not that good in the first half, they had a long range shot and an iffy penalty apart from that they hardly looked world beaters.

I suggest you give them a bit back rather lie there and accept their blinkered views

Thats why they were oh so comfortabel and not begging for the final whistle, surely they should have just upped the gear and got the 3rd goal to kill us off. I assume they didnt do it so that they could keep it interesting for the Sky viewers.

They were not that good in the first half, they had a long range shot and an iffy penalty apart from that they hardly looked world beaters.

I suggest you give them a bit back rather lie there and accept their blinkered views

Dont bite nick... let him troll alone

According to Poll he thinks Alli dived but is clever enough to get away with it and Tadic was fouled so should have been a penalty but his delayed reaction gave the ref a doubt so he never gave it ! Is it me or have the officials been the poorest this season they've been in a long time ?

Edited by simo

Arrogant Spud at work really wanted to smash him this morning.

... or you could just have humoured him and acknowledged that Spurs are a better and more complete team than Saints. Monday morning and you want to "smash' somebody already.

It was football match old lad, one that we didn't win like the other 11 we did not win in the league this season so lighten up and see if you can find a change of mood before Friday. It was not the outbreak of World War 3 after all.

It was telling that he marched straight down the tunnel at full time without shaking anyones hands or acknowledging the supporters.

Exactly what he did when he got taken off in the U23 game a couple of weeks ago. I though the Black Box included a personality disorder/childish tantrum warning device?

You work with some other smug bastards then. Must be really cosy for you!! ;)

I know it really shouldn't surprise me anymore but i've just watched the Sky half time 'analysis' for the first time and their discussion of the two penalty incidents in ****ing pathetic, I would say laughable but it's infuriating.

... or you could just have humoured him and acknowledged that Spurs are a better and more complete team than Saints. Monday morning and you want to "smash' somebody already.

It was football match old lad, one that we didn't win like the other 11 we did not win in the league this season so lighten up and see if you can find a change of mood before Friday. It was not the outbreak of World War 3 after all.

Trump is working on that as we speak.

Only saw the last half an hour, but from what I did see we certainly edged the play. That didn't turn into many good chances though. Davis had some nice touches in their half, but defensively he is weak. Was too slow to move the ball on when Dier tackled him, then later is twisting and turning on the touchline before passing it straight to the striker who Romeu then has to foul and get booked for.

Long's too-early runs are frustrating, however the one following the intricate edge-of-box play was because the pass was fractionally delayed (perhaps Long could have bent the run better), and the last one I thought was onside! But obviously Spurs appealed so it was given.

Rodriguez summed up his inability on a couple of occasions. Most of the time he wasn't anywhere to be seen, but once he was on his heels when Yoshida prodded the ball forwards and we were hit on the break, and another time he took the ball down excellently from a high pass, but then showed no awareness, pace or conviction to do anything with it. See that too often from him.

And as for Boufal... well he was quite horrific. All he thinks about is how he can pull of a trick or skill to beat his man. Sometimes it's good for him to do it, but not every time. I knew that he was looking for the nutmeg on Vertonghen in the corner at one point, so I daresay Vertonghen did too. And then we finally build an attack, get the overload and he shoots. Ok, not a dreadful effort, but again it's all about him... knock it through to Cedric, ball across the face, good chance of a goal. But no. He has ability, he can be a great player, but not playing like he did today.

This.

My youngest reminded me about the penalty Ali won at St Mary's this morning.

I genuinely don't believe things even themselves out. No one has ever actually proved that.

The bigger clubs get more of the important decisions. Don't think that's in doubt. Ali maybe a great footballer, but he is a sneaky little get. That challenge in the Europa League was appalling. He is prone to a dive or two too.

Why wouldn't Friend let Long on?? He's a muppet too.

I don't think we played particularly well, but we do have good pace & now break so much quicker than we did earlier in the season. We have seen teams come to SMS, sit & hit us on the break. That's the style we employ against the top 6. I don't have an issue with it at all.

I also believe we need another strong holding midfielder. Maybe Hojberg will come good? He is certainly young enough, but looks as though some of his confidence is shot.

As many have said, more worried about Gabbi's injury.

It was a substitution and they can only take place when there is a break in play. An injured player can return during play with the referee's permission. Not such a muppet, is he?

He was level with the last defender, hence onside. Look at the slow-motion replay.

I have looked at it, he wasn't level, hence offside. His upper body was beyond the defender.

Anyone got a link to the footage showing the incident in question so I can grab a screenshot?

Cheers

Anyone got a link to the footage showing the incident in question so I can grab a screenshot?

Cheers

It's still on my TIVO box but getting anything off that wouldn't be easy (for me). Which particular incident are we talking about? There were several and all were illusrtated during the match and I didn't see anything contentious with any of them.

Gabbi's chance which led to his injury? Tadic's shot over the bar (ball was clearly in play)?

Weren't those both first half? I meant literally between scoring in the 52nd minute and Boufal firing wide in the 91st. I don't remember us really testing Lloris in that time, despite our improved performance after the break.

i'll go with that assessment. it will be interesting to see who will be the main scorer against Bournemouth

It was a substitution and they can only take place when there is a break in play. An injured player can return during play with the referee's permission. Not such a muppet, is he?

Long was ready BEFORE the game resumed play. He was on the sideline with his shirt on when Gabbi was down injured and immediately after play resumed they cut to a shot of him stood next to the fourth official.