Spurs 2 Saints 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

they are not going to give up on the game after fifteen minutes - even if you do.

And there is the crux of the matter. It doesn't apply to one single poster or indeed the context of any single game. It seems that most of us in the match thread have the attention span and foresight of the average guppy.

Sure, we are only footy fans, but really, our site looks a lot worse than many others I've looked at regarding match threads. We seem to be stuck with a particularly low quality of matchday posters. I just hope that this means we are sporting a ton of footy geniuses at the games!? :D

Agree that Davis didn't have a very good game and at times it was Romeu against basically the entire Spurs midfield. Spurs were good value for the win overall as they could have been well clear at half time. That said, at 2-1 we had a few chances and had Long timed his runs correctly (or the lino kept his flag down) we might have snuck a point. Such a shame we've picked up another injury to another key player but if he's only out for 3-4 weeks then he might only miss one game. With Austin coming back we should be able to manage his absence ok.

With 15 days to plan and prepare i expected more.

Spurs outplayed us in the 1st half and 2nd half they allowed us to have more of the ball in our own half.

We got a goal and should have kicked on, we didn't. Lots of huff and puff but didnt test Lloris again. Simply no threat or ideas going forward. Classic Saints in 2016

Last 15 mins when we should have been going for it, spurs looked more likely. Even when the 5 minutes added on came up - we didnt even manage to get in the Spurs half and the game whimpers out.

Postives: FF made 3 top saves in 1st half, Romeu looked good in 2nd half.... Have i missed any others?

Just expected a bit more zip and a clear game plan after 15 days of preparation.

Weve lost 5 of the last 7 but mentioning any negatives is "trolling"

See, you can do it when you try. Wasn't too difficult really was it. Nobody will give you marks for this post, because it's not your normal troll littered rubbish - that should tell you something.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mate, as I said the first time most of the dross you posted on the match thread was embarrassing. I've had to suffer it once already, do you really think I want to trawl through reams of your dog turd comments again - I'll pass thanks.

Tell you what, try and look at players and games with a bit of perspective, they are professional sportsmen, they are not going to give up on the game after fifteen minutes - even if you do.

Feel free to go back and read if again if you like, take your mate Glasgow with you - should be fun.

none then. played the man not the ball

thanks anyway

Do you have to reply with quote??

Heisenberg

This message is hidden because Heisenberg is on your ignore list.

View Post

Remove user from ignore list

Apologies in advance. I will think seriously before I do so again.

Fair scoreline. Much better second half in terms of controlling the game but probably looked more dangerous first half.

Thought Redmond and JWP were the only positives.

Davis utterly atrocious. Forster not good enough again. Hopefully won't have to see Stephens play again.

Forster had no chance with first goal. As someone else said the defence was like the parting of the Red Sea. Second was a pen. Are you slating because he didn't save it? Other that that he pulled off 3 very good saves....coming off his line which people have complained that he doesn't normally do. What else did you want him to do.....score the winner?? But hey...don't let a bandwagon go by without jumping on....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

none then. played the man not the ball

thanks anyway

No, as I said, lots. I have played the man, totally admit it. But I'm not going to reread your rubbish and quote it here. Your most welcome.

6 from 9 all away. Nothing new in that game...defense is shaky, Forster is uncommanding, Davis is sh*t in DM but we have to fit him in somehow when Hojberg or Clasie should be given chances.

Davis wasn't the only one, Ward-Prowse was all but bloody invisible in comparison, how he contrived to score is anybody's guess, Davis, Redmond & W-P should have been off at HT. Agree Hojberg should have been given some time. We've lost Boufal, his head is not here anymore. Can't see him staying in the summer.

The way some people are reacting suggests that they thought we were going to turn over 2nd placed spurs, at their place were they haven't lost this season and conceded only 7 goals (eight now)...:lol:

This game was always likely to be a loss. Compounded by a ropey first half, our new super striker going off injured and the usual unluckiness with the Ref teams get when playing spurs. All things considered we gave a decent account of ourselves second half to a team that destroyed high flying Everton only a couple of weeks ago.

What did Forster do wrong?

Nothing, in fact he was V good but we must accept that some people on here are really, really stupid and

Have no clue about the game, probably the type who shout and moan if we don't just kick it up the pitch,

We should ignore them but it's tough as they infest the place after a loss

Nothing, in fact he was V good but we must accept that some people on here are really, really stupid and

Have no clue about the game, probably the type who shout and moan if we don't just kick it up the pitch,

We should ignore them but it's tough as they infest the place after a loss

Very good might be pushing it. Made a couple of decent stops but I can't understand how a keeper his size fails to control his box he really needs to leave his line more.

Forster had no chance with first goal. As someone else said the defence was like the parting of the Red Sea. Second was a pen. Are you slating because he didn't save it? Other that that he pulled off 3 very good saves....coming off his line which people have complained that he doesn't normally do. What else did you want him to do.....score the winner?? But hey...don't let a bandwagon go by without jumping on....

For the first goal, once again he got beaten by a bouncing shot from outside the box that was well inside the post. He got nowhere near it, like he hasn't done all season because he doesn't have the reactions to get down quick enough. Other PL keepers frequently save those kind of efforts but Forster never does.

For the second goal, when the ball broke to Yoshida and he flicked it back into the danger area which lead to the penalty, Forster should have been screaming at Maya to leave it for him to claim which would have snuffed out the attack. He stayed rooted to his line and kept quiet, and for the umpteenth time this season the attack continues as a result of his inability to deal with first time balls into the box.

But if you want to keep your head in the sand and pretend that all is fine then go right ahead.

For the first goal, once again he got beaten by a bouncing shot from outside the box that was well inside the post. He got nowhere near it, like he hasn't done all season because he doesn't have the reactions to get down quick enough. Other PL keepers frequently save those kind of efforts but Forster never does.

For the second goal, when the ball broke to Yoshida and he flicked it back into the danger area which lead to the penalty, Forster should have been screaming at Maya to leave it for him to claim which would have snuffed out the attack. He stayed rooted to his line and kept quiet, and for the umpteenth time this season the attack continues as a result of his inability to deal with first time balls into the box.

But if you want to keep your head in the sand and pretend that all is fine then go right ahead.

Not at the game then?

Just had a scan of the match thread, and my god! We do have a lot of utterly clueless posters,

Glad i am giving them a miss because i would be tempted to " explain" their stupidity a little too graficly and

I would get in bother from the mods while others can troll to their hearts content unabated

I don`t say at any point that all is fine. Forster hasn`t had a good season but had one of his better games today I thought....you can continually crucify a player if you like but I like to give some credit when it is due.....but maybe that`s just me...

Not at the game then?

Evidently he wasn't. I haven't heard a single pundit suggest that Fraser should've saved the first one, not one. In fact most commented on what a well struck shot it was. From the BBC:

"Eriksen's strike was powerful, low and accurate to find the bottom corner of Fraser Forster's net after he had collected a pass from Mousa Dembele, while Alli's penalty was efficiently dispatched after he had been fouled in the box by Steven Davis."

I will freely admit that Fraser had not had the best of seasons this year, for a big man he needs to command his 6 years box much better. But to say he was at fault today is simply bizarre.

Just had a scan of the match thread, and my god! We do have a lot of utterly clueless posters,

Glad i am giving them a miss because i would be tempted to " explain" their stupidity a little too graficly and

I would get in bother from the mods while others can troll to their hearts content unabated

Graficly - what's that in english pal?

Has any keeper, in the history of football, came less close to saving a penalty than Fraser Forster?

He starts diving out of the way before the taker even starts his run up. Bizarre.

And yet he is in the England squad along with two other Saints players who have taken a battering on this forum. What I find bizarre is that the people who run the England set up and football pundits etc know nothing compared to the football brains on TSW....Amazing...:eek::eek::eek:

Has any keeper, in the history of football, came less close to saving a penalty than Fraser Forster?

He starts diving out of the way before the taker even starts his run up. Bizarre.

Apparently he is the 30th best keeper in Europe for savings pens with a 30.43% success rate (I guess he saved a lot of pens at Celtic) :lol:

More amazing is Joe Hart is only 39th best with a success rate of 28.89% :scared:

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/8391/Goalkeeper-penalty-save-record-ratio-Europe-Premier-League-pictures/Fraser-Forster-173351

Played ourselves right into it, officials the difference in the end.

Draw would have been a more than fair result.

Everyone moans about officials, but we give them such an easy ride, none of our players get involved with the officials and get forthright with their opinions the way you see with other clubs.

And yet he is in the England squad along with two other Saints players who have taken a battering on this forum. What I find bizarre is that the people who run the England set up and football pundits etc know nothing compared to the football brains on TSW....Amazing...:eek::eek::eek:

What's your serious contribution?

Everyone moans about officials, but we give them such an easy ride, none of our players get involved with the officials and get forthright with their opinions the way you see with other clubs.

Yeah but were not a big club so our players will be made an example of and be booked for dissent.

Davis wasn't the only one, Ward-Prowse was all but bloody invisible in comparison, how he contrived to score is anybody's guess, Davis, Redmond & W-P should have been off at HT. Agree Hojberg should have been given some time. We've lost Boufal, his head is not here anymore. Can't see him staying in the summer.

Boufal doesn't seem interested at all at the moment. I'd be surprised if we sold him in the summer, but he does need his attitude sorting out.

On another point, Shane Long's offside:

Is he abysmal at timing his runs (especially for someone with speed on their side)?

Or

The victim of his own speed, getting flagged for being offside incorrectly, as he's gained too much ground before the linesman's eye can catch up.

What's your serious contribution?

My contribution to what? This Forum?? About as valuable as most posters...what I post is what I think (it`s all about opinions, innit?) I just try to respond to a lot of the idiot nonsense that is posted on here (especially after a loss) without resorting to insults or abusive language....I`m sorry if you find that unacceptable.

... I'm a little confused as to why our CB loan signing is not getting the nudge as Jack is struggling.

No he isn't. I was there and he did ok. He did his job (not brilliant but I've seen way worse) he isn't as strong in the air as we need. He would be a good partner for Van Dyke. Distribution was good but he tired in the 2nd half and let a few slip. So what, I'd rather give him game time than waste time on a short term import.

Can't believe the stick JWP gets disgraceful. He had a very good game and was constantly driving forward. Tadic in contrast was poor and wasteful.

Bet hey what do I know I only go to all the games and lost my blinkers years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My contribution to what? This Forum?? About as valuable as most posters...what I post is what I think (it`s all about opinions, innit?) I just try to respond to a lot of the idiot nonsense that is posted on here (especially after a loss) without resorting to insults or abusive language....I`m sorry if you find that unacceptable.

No opinion or view on Saints, as expected.

JWP played pretty well I thought and don't agree on Boufal. He's had a frustrating first season in a new league. There's no way we will get rid in the summer.

not a great game. Spurs weren't great and look ordinary without Kane. We did the damage in the first half and couldn't get back into. Not our best performance, but certainly not our worst. We have been playing on a serious handicap without VVD and Austin, now to add Gabbi, we really have been unlucky with injuries to big players this season.

Looking forward to next season now. Austin/ Gabbi with Long as back up would be ok, it's going to be dfensive reinforcements we really need.

Final thought - Boufal had a shocker, still yet to have a good run of games though. A disappointing first season, but plenty of potential for next year.

Yeah but were not a big club so our players will be made an example of and be booked for dissent.

That is depressingly likely.

fwiw, I fully agree with sourmash on this, it's something I've noticed a lot especially since our return to the prem (probably explained by the prevalence of ref-crowding by the top sides.)

We started poorly and couldn't deal with their high pressing game at all, losing 50/50s and giving the ball away too easily. But it's not easy to play against teams that do that to you, moreover, they are a better team than us, with better players, there is no shame in losing.

Redmond looked quite good I thought, Tadic less effective and Boufal, in spite of his undoubted ability just doesn't seem to be able to positively make an impact on a game, which is not great as a sub.

I really thought the thing we missed today was more of a target man up front, who maybe could have held it up a bit more and taken some of the pressure off. Some of the passing in midfield was completely wayward at times.

My two pence worth on the Forster debate....just my opinion, which is what a forum is supposed to be about, and if you choose to have a different opinion to mine and wish to respond please don't slag me off for not understanding football or being blinkered, or following the crowd or jumping on the bandwagon. It's my opinion and if you want to disagree then please try and be polite with any response without any sarcasm or vitriol. Now that's over here it is.

I thought Fraser should have done better with the first today. It wasn't right in the corner and he got nowhere near it! He always seems to be caught on the wrong foot which seems to me to be indicative that his anticipation is at fault. This is not the first nor second nor third (I could go on) time that he's been beaten by a shot from outside the area this season. He's good at those close saves like the glancing header today when he got a strong left hand to it, so his reflexes are not an issue. I just think he's a bit slow to read shots on goal. And because of that I don't think he's one of the better goalkeepers in the EPL, in fact I think he's bang average. Just my opinion.

Boufal, in spite of his undoubted ability .

Oh **** me, here we go again , we had all this pony with Gaston.

Being able to compete, being disciplined, being prepared to dig in, not giving up are part of someone's ability. It's not just about mincing around doing a few tricks, if it was Mr Woo would be playing for us. If I posted about Joey Bartons "undoubted ability" you would rightly take the ****, because Barton hasn't the ability to do one half of the footballers job. This guy hasn't shown he can do the other half ( the half Barton can do). Today was one of the most inept sub appearance I've ever seen. Everybody should be having doubts about his ability, because he's shown nothing that indicates he's got the ability to play in England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The officiating was crap

Boufal was very crap. Hopefully not another gaston on our hands

Davis was poor

Romeu was good, thought cedric was decent, long was long

Spurs were not particularly good either

Fair assessment

Particularly in that second half, both teams made a lot of mistakes.

Being in the England squad does not hold the kudos it once had, but saying that, JWP has been playing much better than earlier this season when I for one would not have been upset to see him go.

There are only 4 first choice goalkeepers in the PL that are available to be picked for England. 1 of them, Butland, has been injured all season and another, Pickford, has only just returned from injury.

He's in the squad by default

Oh **** me, here we go again , we had all this pony with Gaston.

Being able to compete, being disciplined, being prepared to dig in, not giving up are part of someone's ability. It's not just about mincing around doing a few tricks, if it was Mr Woo would be playing for us. If I posted about Joey Bartons "undoubted ability" you would rightly take the ****, because Barton hasn't the ability to do one half of the footballers job. This guy hasn't shown he can do the other half ( the half Barton can do). Today was one of the most inept sub appearance I've ever seen. Everybody should be having doubts about his ability, because he's shown nothing that indicates he's got the ability to play in England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were making a reasonable point until this highlighted bit.

I thought we played well. After moaning at Puel about the poor results and our incredibly boring style of play he seems to have turned that around. We are now playing a consistent team which makes a huge difference. I'm still miffed about how we bombed out of Europe but our recent performances and cup final have taken the edge off.

Good point. The NBC taters here in the US noticed the difference between the Spurs penalty and our (non) penalty. For theirs the players screamed at the ref, but for the foul on Tadic our players said nothing. Of course this shouldn't make a difference if the ref is competent, but with a wanker in charge it can swing it.

Agree that Davis didn't have a very good game and at times it was Romeu against basically the entire Spurs midfield. Spurs were good value for the win overall as they could have been well clear at half time. That said, at 2-1 we had a few chances and had Long timed his runs correctly (or the lino kept his flag down) we might have snuck a point. Such a shame we've picked up another injury to another key player but if he's only out for 3-4 weeks then he might only miss one game. With Austin coming back we should be able to manage his absence ok.

Seriously? With Gabby we at last had found a player who will work hard to get the ball and then try everything to stick it in the net. A true striker. Austin is so slow that he has to wait for someone else to set it up on a plate for him to score. He's not in the same town let alone the same street as Gabby!

Seriously? With Gabby we at last had found a player who will work hard to get the ball and then try everything to stick it in the net. A true striker. Austin is so slow that he has to wait for someone else to set it up on a plate for him to score. He's not in the same town let alone the same street as Gabby!

I don't think anyone is claiming Austin is better than Gabby but Gabby is injured, possibly for up to six weeks, and could be out for much of the rest of the season. Austin is never going to be the complete footballer but he does know where the back of the net is so if he can come back that has to be a positive. I think it speaks volumes about Jrod and Long, this season, that despite being out for months Austin is still our top scorer this season (with 9 goals all comps) and Gabby is our second highest (with 6 after only a handful of games).