Jack Stephens

Lord Duckhunter

Happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about Jack.

From what I had seen at his time from Swindon, U23's and England U21's I really didn't think he had enough to succeed at the top level, however he has looked an established premier league CB since, being thrown in at the deep end (perhaps that has helped?).

The big test will be next year, when we (should) rightly bring in 1 if not 2 (should VVD leave) CB's. Does Jack continue in the first team? unlikely IMO so does he drop down to 4th choice?

Dropping down to 4th choice will be no good for Jack, he needs games so I would send him on loan (with a recall option, should we get struck with injury). I'm not sure there will be a great deal of takers in the PL however, perhaps Brighton or one of the teams in the play offs. Maybe B'mouth or Burnley?

Massive summer in his career I suspect.

Also, may I add, he's generally a decent bloke with a good head on his shoulders. I'm pleased to see him doing well.

If he could Cruyff turn in his own penalty area and then moan at his own fans then City would be trying to sign him for £50mil. He was absolutely superb last night. Also loved him getting in Tadic's face in the first half after he tried to have a go at everyone. For a youngster who's only played a handful of games to take on the responsibility of telling a senior player to pull his ****ing finger out shows great strength of character. Have noticed before he's definitely got a bit of spike, often seems to be having verbals with opposition striker's.

He went at it with Zlatan at the cup final he certainly isn't afraid of sticking up for himself which is a good thing we knee a few more players with a bit of back bone.

Very composed young English centre half. Seems to be quite a few in the PL this year with Gibson, Keane, Mawson, Maguire etc. He's certainly at the same level as any of those, he has surprised me. Reads the game, very, very well. Extremely composed on the ball and came bring it out from the back. I said on another thread, but I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him play alongside VVD next year.

not a hummels just yet but can certainly see him being a star for us as early as next season. playing alongside vvd would do him a lot of good, could be one of the best central defensive partnerships in the league as time passes. he's got good range of passing, confidence and skill to bring the ball out, reads the game well, but not so strong in the tackle and in the air. but I think that should come with experiance, he's certainly not a small guy. I mean Gallagher's weak point was in the air last season now he scores most goals with his head. just about learning how to use his body.

Just shows what game time and experience can do when coupled with a hard work ethic to improve.

What impressed me last night was him bringing the ball out of defence to help start attacks, very few centre-backs do that these days and it seems (for the moment at least) that we have two.

With Romeu about I think they can be quite confident to do that.

He was done a bit easily by Bailly after JWP gave the ball away and should have scored when free at the back post but overall a very good performance in a very solid season for him.

Needs to hit the weights and protein over the summer...

Not sure Saints have any - Ward-Prowse and particularly Hesketh have needed to bulk up for years, but to no avail.

Poor Jake wouldn't win an arm wrestle with a kitten.

But, yes, Stephens has done well. I particularly like the look of him when he glides forward into the midfield. Seems like it comes naturally to him.

Happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about Jack.

From what I had seen at his time from Swindon, U23's and England U21's I really didn't think he had enough to succeed at the top level, however he has looked an established premier league CB since, being thrown in at the deep end (perhaps that has helped?).

The big test will be next year, when we (should) rightly bring in 1 if not 2 (should VVD leave) CB's. Does Jack continue in the first team? unlikely IMO so does he drop down to 4th choice?

Dropping down to 4th choice will be no good for Jack, he needs games so I would send him on loan (with a recall option, should we get struck with injury). I'm not sure there will be a great deal of takers in the PL however, perhaps Brighton or one of the teams in the play offs. Maybe B'mouth or Burnley?

Massive summer in his career I suspect.

Also, may I add, he's generally a decent bloke with a good head on his shoulders. I'm pleased to see him doing well.

Send him out on loan!!! He is a major asset for Saints now. He is looking better every game. There's our future right there. Keep him and play him.

We can't moan that clubs nick our players, if we don't show some loyalty when we do actually find a decent player.

Personally I'd push him forward a bit. I reckon he has the skills. Only a bit mind judging by his shooting last night

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If he can learn to mark players better during game I would agree as his man loses him too easy, I would prefer he was 3rd choice and have VVD and Yoshi in front of him or ideally we sign a even better CB and put Yoshi back to 3rd choice and have Stephens 4th choice.

He has done well and I am no way dissing him but if we want to finish top 8 and push for 7th he should not be the starter, if we are happy to settle for midtable (10th-13th) then yes keep him as a starter.

Personally I think he's played himself into a start next season. As well as Yoshidas done I'd have VvD (or replacement) & Stephens as my first choice come Aug. Whether it remains that way is down to him & the way he plays .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this, would also say with all due to respect to Yoshi, that playing alongside a CB as good as VVD is going to strengthen his game massively.

Just hope VVD is here next season...

• 1 month later...

I love how they call him a Van Dijk replacement just to keep up the line that VVD is/has gone...

I also love how they say that Stephens future is secure with a five year deal then in the same sentence say that Van Dijks future is in doubt...even though he has the same amount of time left.

I love how they call him a Van Dijk replacement just to keep up the line that VVD is/has gone...

I also love how they say that Stephens future is secure with a five year deal then in the same sentence say that Van Dijks future is in doubt...even though he has the same amount of time left.

I think they're playing on the angle that he was the VVD replacement when he was injured...

That article must've been written by a Scouser. 'Van Dijk replacement' in the title and then saying we tied VVD down to a long contract to ensure we got the best price for him. Bloody hell.

Considering the source, I very very highly doubt it was either written by, or aimed at, Liverpool fans.

In any case, very good news that he's on a five year deal now. Can only see him getting better and better.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Considering the source, I very very highly doubt it was either written by, or aimed at, Liverpool fans.

In any case, very good news that he's on a five year deal now. Can only see him getting better and better.

Good point. They hold one hell of a grudge. RAWK posters are not allowed to refer to Bascome articles from the Telegraph on their transfer thread, because he once worked for the Sun.

Anyway great news if true. I really enjoyed watching this player develop and flourish after VVD got injured. And the headline...LOL

I'm thinking that VVD and Stephens will now be the first choice pairing next season?

I'm perfectly OK with this. Said it before but I foresee Stephens playing alongside Van Dijk and learning from him, selling Van Dijk next summer to get huge funds to reinvest in the team and then having a first choice pairing of Stephens and Bednarek from then on (if Bednarek comes on like we hope he will). If we've done our job properly we could then have a centreback pairing who will still be good enough for another 10 years.

I'm perfectly OK with this. Said it before but I foresee Stephens playing alongside Van Dijk and learning from him, selling Van Dijk next summer to get huge funds to reinvest in the team and then having a first choice pairing of Stephens and Bednarek from then on (if Bednarek comes on like we hope he will). If we've done our job properly we could then have a centreback pairing who will still be good enough for another 10 years.

There were a few times this season that JS brought the ball out of defence that reminded me of VVD. So much so that certain posters thought he would suit a DM role - not so sure about that myself but if he keeps on learning and improving then I don't see what your saying as being beyond the realms.

On a slightly different vain - how is chambers ahead of Stephens in the England U23's? Bloody joke.

He can't mark his man, he can do all the other stuff so I am not saying hes crap but thats a key for me from my defender, yes he can bring the ball out and do some good headers but for me he has to be 3rd or 4th choice, behind VVD and one other plus Yoshi.

He can't mark his man, he can do all the other stuff so I am not saying hes crap but thats a key for me from my defender, yes he can bring the ball out and do some good headers but for me he has to be 3rd or 4th choice, behind VVD and one other plus Yoshi.

he showed a fair bit of inexperience in some situations last season yes and the strikers did manage to get away from him at crucial moments but he can improve that aspect of his game and learn from it. Having a central defender as his new manager won't hurt and hopefully he can learn from one more season of VVD.

From a cynical business point of view it makes sense for Saints to promote Stephens, whether he's actually any better than some of our other options.

John Stones selling for £50m was a game changer for English centre backs of any kind of competence. Look at the asking prices for relegation fodder Keane and Gibson. Harry Maguire cost substantially more than we paid for Van Dijk, in spite of only having a year left on his contract.

A long contract and a reasonable season from Stephens next term and Saints will have an extremely valuable asset on the books.

I like what I've seen of him, in any case. He's a bit positionally dozy and needs to improve in the air, but he looks an all round decent footballer.

Will be fascinating if he pairs up with VVD for some big games when we're playing an attacking style. Thought him and Yoshida were heavily protected by Puel in 2nd half of season tactically(possibly costing Puel his job). He showed some great quality at times reading play and using the ball but will need to get quicker and more muscular to become an established prem CB.

he showed a fair bit of inexperience in some situations last season yes and the strikers did manage to get away from him at crucial moments but he can improve that aspect of his game and learn from it. Having a central defender as his new manager won't hurt and hopefully he can learn from one more season of VVD.

If he continues to learn & develop at the rate he did since coming into the side,he'll be hell of a player this time next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a bit of a dilemma i think. if we sign someone better than stephens to partner vvd which i think we should if we're to kick on, then that means blocking stephens and consequently his development. and it would be such a shame to not see him fulfill his potential. but all evidence suggests that leslie will stick with stephens so its a win either way..