Puel BTSports 2

saintquin

Just ALWAYS_SFC trying to pick fights like usual.

He is without doubt the worst poster on here.

Always banging on about having a balanced opinion, however cannot accept when someone has a bad word to say about the club. It's hard to deny that Puel comes across very dull and boring in interviews.

If anyone's interested in more than criticising his delivery, in summary he said:

The philosophy of the club, developing players and continuing to improve is critical and a reason he feels he is a good match. Interestingly, talking of previous managers following the same philosophy, he omitted Koeman.

In France, he struggled to keep his best players, but hopes to find it easier to keep them at Saints. Good luck with that one.

Enjoys the challenge of playing the best teams - the only way to judge progress. Therefore wants to get back into Europe. The diversity of tactics on the Prem is a challenge needing different responses. He finds refs too lenient against "physical" teams.

Young players have to be given chances to prove themselves. Their strength of character to rise to the challenge is as important as technical ability.

He is very impressed with our facilities.

Wenger was an important mentor and Puel took his advice before agreeing to come to Saints. Wenger had praise for us.

He thinks Saints fans are very knowledgeable, understand tactics and provide great support.

He likes the job and sees the key objective as ensuring the club keeps improving its league position whilst developing players at all levels.

In summary, i would say that, beneath the excruciatingly dull exterior, there is an intelligent and talented manager who is an excellent match for The Southampton Way

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What was said then?

If anyone's interested in more than criticising his delivery, in summary he said:

The philosophy of the club, developing players and continuing to improve is critical and a reason he feels he is a good match. Interestingly, talking of previous managers following the same philosophy, he omitted Koeman.

In France, he struggled to keep his best players, but hopes to find it easier to keep them at Saints. Good luck with that one.

Enjoys the challenge of playing the best teams - the only way to judge progress. Therefore wants to get back into Europe. The diversity of tactics on the Prem is a challenge needing different responses. He finds refs too lenient against "physical" teams.

Young players have to be given chances to prove themselves. Their strength of character to rise to the challenge is as important as technical ability.

Wenger was an important mentor and Puel took his advice before agreeing to come to Saints. Wenger had praise for us.

He thinks Saints fans are very knowledgeable, understand tactics and provide great support.

He likes the job and sees the key objective as ensuring the club keeps improving its league position whilst developing players at all levels.

In summary, i would say that, beneath the excruciatingly dull exterior, there is an intelligent and talented manager who is an excellent match for The Southampton Way

Thanks Shroppie

What a bunch of thick t**ts that inhabit this forum. Mentalists - rather than actually digest and listen to what Puel says you're too busy taking sly digs because his English is not perfect and claiming, despite not spending any time with him, how uninspiring he is.

I'm sure that most of you are all so wonderful you can't do anything wrong.

I am with always-sfc on this one. Thanks for posting the summary Shroppie - it is clear what he wants to try and do and we have seen that with time on the training ground the players are improving. JWP and Redmond in the England squad are proof of this.

We could have a very good season next year without the distraction of Europa League and Euros.

He made another telling point when asked how he felt competing against the other "star" managers, noting the vast difference in resources between clubs, and how that means he has to develop and improve players rather than (by implication) splashing out huge sums for the finished product.

Maybe some of you should try and speak another language and come across as interesting. Not that easy, so give the guy credit for speaking English and getting it right.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Exactly. I speak a bit of French but when I have to use it to actually speak to a French person, I'm concentrating on getting the words right rather than the nuances of expression.

Thanks Shroppie. I can see why his manner puts people off a bit, no-one can deny that his interviews are challenging to listen to, but I too think he has shown signs of being an excellent manager this year, and his understated way makes me root for him even more.

Exactly. I speak a bit of French but when I have to use it to actually speak to a French person, I'm concentrating on getting the words right rather than the nuances of expression.

Not sure how I could possibly shoehorn "Je voudrais du fromage" and "Ou est le supermarche?" into a post-match interview...

Thanks Shroppie for the taste of the interview. It seems as if Puel is doing a reasonable job with our team, but many posters are right, he is a bit dull to listen to, so I think we should get a manager who is far more interesting in interviews. Paul Jewell used to give good points of view when he was at Derby, and Neil Warnock always livens things up. Even Harry Redknapp did well in front of the cameras, but I think the one we should go for - never a dull moment - is good old Ian Holloway. Come on Ollie! You know it makes sense.

Thanks for the summary, Shroppie.

Even with dyslexia it was less of a battle reading that, than it would have been to watch.

Puel gets a mention in a BBC article about the future of the much maligned Checkatrade Trophy:

Shaun Harvey (EFL) on the problem of developing young players: "It is a concern there is great talent in this country that is not getting an opportunity to experience senior football as early as a lot of clubs would want.

"Let's be under no illusions. The EFL Trophy, on its own, is not the answer. But I certainly think it is a big part. What goes alongside it is a manager like Claude Puel at Southampton, who rather than play players out of position, has chosen to give young players a chance, having seen them come through, not just in the academy but also in a real game situation, where winning does matter."

Elsewhere the article notes that Jack Stevens started Saints first match in the Checkatrade and finished up playing in the EFL cup final.

Thanks Shroppie. I can see why his manner puts people off a bit, no-one can deny that his interviews are challenging to listen to, but I too think he has shown signs of being an excellent manager this year, and his understated way makes me root for him even more.

Spot on

Puel gets a mention in a BBC article about the future of the much maligned Checkatrade Trophy:

Shaun Harvey (EFL) on the problem of developing young players: "It is a concern there is great talent in this country that is not getting an opportunity to experience senior football as early as a lot of clubs would want.

"Let's be under no illusions. The EFL Trophy, on its own, is not the answer. But I certainly think it is a big part. What goes alongside it is a manager like Claude Puel at Southampton, who rather than play players out of position, has chosen to give young players a chance, having seen them come through, not just in the academy but also in a real game situation, where winning does matter."

Elsewhere the article notes that Jack Stevens started Saints first match in the Checkatrade and finished up playing in the EFL cup final.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39425301

Here,for anybody curious.

Yes. Puel certainly emphasised that he can't judge a player's ability to step up just by watching them in Checkatrade and U23 games, although he uses his experience to identify those who he thinks can do it.

It's only by seeing them in a serious match that really matters that he can see how they stand up both technically and mentally. That does mean taking risks but it has worked and certainly pushed forward the likes of McQueen and Stephens. And, to a lesser extent, Hesketh and Sims. But you can also name some who've been less successful.

And, in a similar way, the trust that's been put in Yoshida has done wonders for his confidence and performance levels.

Clearly he doesn't read this forum then which is quite a relief :)