Southampton 0 Bournemouth 0 - Match & Reactions

Pass the Dutchie

Bizarre reading some of the hysterical comments. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, thought we were excellent first half and should have scored one if Tadic's two great chances at least. Excellent save from Boruc to stop JayRod effort.

We went to hung ho with our subs, well intentioned to score but weakened our midfield with Boufal offering no protection to Bertrand and Bournemouth sacrificed a striker to bring on Wilshere and thereby dominated midfield.

A draw fair in the end, but missing our two natural finishers understandably means we won't take as many chances until they are back.

Time to hand back to the fanatical bed wetters for the latest episode of blaming "clueless Claude, fat Kat, greedy Les" or anyone else they can have a pop at. Meanwhile we are top half with two games in hand....

Errr you seem the hysterical one?

The two games in hand are arsenal and Man Utd..and we have not got a great record against the top six this season!

I thought for a 0-0 it was quite an entertaining game few heart in mouth moments, and neither team could hit a cows backside with a banjo.

Anyone mithering about Puel and his tactics needs to pull their head out of the cows backside we can't hit. If you were actually at the game he was doing his nut at some of the horse poo our players elected to play. There is no end product J Rod is shot, Shane Long is just playing roulette...... Tadic (did some joker say he was given MOTM?) if he wants to play for some one bigger than Saints, well Dušan stop flapping your hands about at everyone, you can't bloody fly mate, play to the bloody whistle, and concentrate on hitting the ball for a simple quick pass that finds the man in a Saints shirt.

Thought Yoshida, Stephens, Davis, Romeu stood out.......... but we miss a focal point that we have when Gabbi is in the team, and had with Pelle sprinkled with the randomness of Mane.

Just hope this is a transition season............... we were due one sooner or later (I know broken record) given the amount of players we hemorrhage every summer.

Errr you seem the hysterical one?

The two games in hand are arsenal and Man Utd..and we have not got a great record against the top six this season!

So are you saying it's bleak times? How many years have you followed Saints? Assuming you are right and we lose both games in hand we are....yep still top half.

We are 19 points behind 6th (where we finished last season)

We are just 7 points ahead of the bottom 3.

Amazes me how many of our fans our content with us dropping so quickly.

I could live with the drop off in league finish but the "football" Puel serves up is truely horrendous

I could live with the drop off in league finish but the "football" Puel serves up is truely horrendous

Absolutely! And then there's pathetic excuses week after week. I can't believe he's just said "some of the players looked tired after the international break. That's not an excuse". Ok, if it's not an excuse then why say it? Our players have played twice in March. Some have played international games, but not all of them.

Some Premiership clubs have had a full domestic fixture list, European games and internationals. Honestly, the man is a ****ing tit. The sooner the club get rid, the better. We're going nowhere with him in charge.

I was sad to see Poch go, I was sad to see Koeman go. If Puel went... I'm not sure I'd even notice. He has had a minimal impact on the club, he's just kind of keeping things ticking over. Sorry to say it but I don't see any method at all.

Absolutely! And then there's pathetic excuses week after week. I can't believe he's just said "some of the players looked tired after the international break. That's not an excuse". Ok, if it's not an excuse then why say it? Our players have played twice in March. Some have played international games, but not all of them.

Some Premiership clubs have had a full domestic fixture list, European games and internationals. Honestly, the man is a ****ing tit. The sooner the club get rid, the better. We're going nowhere with him in charge.

If Gabbi, VVD and Austin were not injured, and we hadn't played Utd off the park at Wembley (with a legitimate goal disallowed) you may have a point. But they are, and we did, and you don't.

Lucky 2nd half, plenty of luck on our side! First half was ours, 2nd was theirs.

First half was much of what we've seen this year though, very little movement, creativity or sharpness in the final third. All played in front of Bournemouth and through the middle, although we were on top.

2nd half we completely lost our way, tactically we were all over the shop for 45 mins. Completely lost control of midfield, the defense was like keystone cops.

This has been such a non-event of a season really (league wise), but we were due one. Not much more to add really.

Must have watched a different game to most on here - were by far the better side for 70 mins.

The issues were there same they have been all season. We can't finish. Club sorted that by buying Gabbi. He's injured. Not much more Puel can do about that. We've got our 2 best finishers out - Jay and Shane needed to step up but didn't (tbf, both ran themselves into the ground, but we have to take the chances they were given) and our best player out in VvD and still managed to keep a clean sheet.

Yes, Bourne were the better team in the last 20, we can blame tactics and subs for that, but at the time Puel brought Boufal on for JWP I would have done the same - nothing against JWP, but the game was to be won.

Major pluses for me - Stephens kept a clean sheet and gets more game time, Yoshida looked untroubled against a bigger man for most of the game, Romeu just gets better and better, Redmond will be some player next season, and we have our best strikers to come back. I also thought Tadic was the best player on the pitch 1st half.

Cant believe some of the comments on here...get a grip people...everybody knows the issue around goals scored, we can't do anything about it at the moment...

So fed up not to see Saints win after spending £500 to come and watch them.

This year I've seen Saints win once out of 10 matches and I can safely say I'm fed up with them.

I miss Pelle, Mane, Schneiderlin, Koeman....

I really missed Gabbiadini and Van Dyke.

Watched the match on Match of the day and there was no surprise that they missed the disallowed goal and never questioned the harsh penalty decision or the biased refereeing.

I lost interest today and that's sad.

What a bunch of mercenaries getting paid a fortune.

I don't see the spirit of Southampton on the pitch. The players all seem to be moaning at each other.

My Son showed me a possible starting 11 for next season. How many players will try and leave the sinking ship?

This year I've seen Saints win once out of 10 matches and I can safely say I'm fed up with them.

Watched the match on Match of the day and there was no surprise that they missed the disallowed goal and never questioned the harsh penalty decision or the biased refereeing.

I don't see the spirit of Southampton on the pitch. The players all seem to be moaning at each other.

My Son showed me a possible starting 11 for next season. How many players will try and leave the sinking ship?

Jesus Christ, get a grip FFS. One poor-ish performance with key players missing and we get posts like this utter drivel. On one hand you moan about the mercenaries and the lack of spirit, whilst admitting that you yourself can't really be bothered any more and have lost interest. Kinda hypocritical then really. It's almost as if some fans are spoilt with the recent successes, that the minute we are not winning more than we lose, everyone goes crying like a baby and threatens to withdraw their support. ****ing patheitc in my view. We are a mid table Premiership club, with Mid table size support, getting mid table support. Deal with it.

Backward step. Puel bought himself some time with the EFL performance at Wembley, but if we go back to this rubbish the pressure will be on him again. Turgid stuff. Boufal really starting to wind me up - needs to deliver, and that doesn't mean slowing the play down so he can run round in circles 5 times.

Must have watched a different game to most on here - were by far the better side for 70 mins.

The issues were there same they have been all season. We can't finish. Club sorted that by buying Gabbi. He's injured. Not much more Puel can do about that. We've got our 2 best finishers out - Jay and Shane needed to step up but didn't (tbf, both ran themselves into the ground, but we have to take the chances they were given) and our best player out in VvD and still managed to keep a clean sheet.

Yes, Bourne were the better team in the last 20, we can blame tactics and subs for that, but at the time Puel brought Boufal on for JWP I would have done the same - nothing against JWP, but the game was to be won.

Major pluses for me - Stephens kept a clean sheet and gets more game time, Yoshida looked untroubled against a bigger man for most of the game, Romeu just gets better and better, Redmond will be some player next season, and we have our best strikers to come back. I also thought Tadic was the best player on the pitch 1st half.

Cant believe some of the comments on here...get a grip people...everybody knows the issue around goals scored, we can't do anything about it at the moment...

qxy0g.gif

I'll tell you what nearly lost us the game today. Howe v Puel. Puel nearly lost than one.

In the first half, we dominated them really without being able to finish and that continued up until Wilshere came on. They then had the extra man in midfield and our midfield was being completely overrun much the way theirs was in the first half.

Howe noticed it and changed the formation to suit. Puel needs to react better to these tactical shifts by opposition managers. They were all over us and he didn't change anything other than making pretty much like for like subs.

He needed to change it quicker imo.

Still, I don't think we played bad up until that point.

No player fit that's able to score in a brothel.

Would have lost were it not for Davis clearing off the line and their bloke skying the penalty.

Our subs killed us off as a force. Boufal is reminiscent of that bloke who never played hardly except the "Villa Game" and wound up at Hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you what nearly lost us the game today. Howe v Puel. Puel nearly lost than one.

In the first half, we dominated them really without being able to finish and that continued up until Wilshere came on. They then had the extra man in midfield and our midfield was being completely overrun much the way theirs was in the first half.

Howe noticed it and changed the formation to suit. Puel needs to react better to these tactical shifts by opposition managers. They were all over us and he didn't change anything other than making pretty much like for like subs.

Did you think Howe was a genius at the game at their place where we basically took them apart?

Jesus Christ, get a grip FFS. One poor-ish performance with key players missing and we get posts like this utter drivel. On one hand you moan about the mercenaries and the lack of spirit, whilst admitting that you yourself can't really be bothered any more and have lost interest. Kinda hypocritical then really. It's almost as if some fans are spoilt with the recent successes, that the minute we are not winning more than we lose, everyone goes crying like a baby and threatens to withdraw their support. ****ing patheitc in my view. We are a mid table Premiership club, with Mid table size support, getting mid table support. Deal with it.

It's the norm - lose or draw. We must beat everyone with flair regardless of who we are missing we must have cover. And if we are playing bad Puel must press magic button to turn it around just like what Poch and Koeman did.

If we score 4 away from home in back to back away games it's cos the opposition are rubbish. And don't bother trying to embarrassing them they have no shame or any sense of perspective just spoilt kids who whine at every turn.

Hmmm, fed up with watching this bunch of mercenaries but miss Mane, Pelle and Morgan who all left to go and earn fortunes more than we are able to pay.

Lucky 2nd half, plenty of luck on our side! First half was ours, 2nd was theirs.

First half was much of what we've seen this year though, very little movement, creativity or sharpness in the final third. All played in front of Bournemouth and through the middle, although we were on top.

2nd half we completely lost our way, tactically we were all over the shop for 45 mins. Completely lost control of midfield, the defense was like keystone cops.

This has been such a non-event of a season really (league wise), but we were due one. Not much more to add really.

Much more like 25 minutes. We came out at started the second half stronger than them but faded lots of players looked knackered mid way through the second half. The subs also failed to make any impact and probably weakened us but Jrod wasn't having much impact and so Long was our only option. God knows what has happened to Boufal but he isn't bringing anything at the moment and McQueen kind of made sense in attempt to get Boufal more involved.

Howe took until the 70th minute to change things despite being, in your words, being overrun in midfield hardly the sign of changing things quicker from the opposition manager...

Jay Rod should of stayed on longer, McQueen is not good enough at LW/RW so that sub is so uninspiring for a home team trying to attack to get the win.

I hope we get the win vs Palace because if we lose that we will get dragged into this relegation battle between the whole bottom half of the table.

Romeu and Yoshida played well and for me it wasnt a pen but I will need to see MOTD.

I want to see Caceres and Yoshi at CB vs Palace along with Long Tadic Boufal and Redmond as the attacking 4, with Jay Rod and Sims coming off the bench.

I thought for a 0-0 it was quite an entertaining game few heart in mouth moments, and neither team could hit a cows backside with a banjo.

Anyone mithering about Puel and his tactics needs to pull their head out of the cows backside we can't hit. If you were actually at the game he was doing his nut at some of the horse poo our players elected to play. There is no end product J Rod is shot, Shane Long is just playing roulette...... Tadic (did some joker say he was given MOTM?) if he wants to play for some one bigger than Saints, well Dušan stop flapping your hands about at everyone, you can't bloody fly mate, play to the bloody whistle, and concentrate on hitting the ball for a simple quick pass that finds the man in a Saints shirt.

Thought Yoshida, Stephens, Davis, Romeu stood out.......... but we miss a focal point that we have when Gabbi is in the team, and had with Pelle sprinkled with the randomness of Mane.

Just hope this is a transition season............... we were due one sooner or later (I know broken record) given the amount of players we hemorrhage every summer.

So basically if a manager waves his arms around everytime we play poorly then its not his fault ?

Honestly ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

It's been a strange season. Non event really, loads of games at the start, then a 2 month break at home mid season. I'll be pleased when it's over now to be honest, we can try and get it together again during the summer.

Well I'm not sure which game some people were watching yesterday but it wasn't the one I watched. It's clear that our strikers are struggling to find the goal this season and that needs sorting but it's not as if they didn't try.

Tadic had a bad game, but again he kept trying and didn't give up.

Yoshida really stepped up and was doing the job Virgil has been doing which I thought was good and Stephens is growing in confidence every game.

Not quite sure what Bertrand was up to but a couple of times he just didn't make the run when a through ball was played. Redmond was a real pain for them to deal with whenever he got the ball.

Forster..... had a better game. Actually came off the line for balls, would have been nice if he had got a hand on them but at Least he had a go rather than stand still.

JWP was nowhere and I wasn't surprised when he got subbed, Romeu worked hard. Davis tried but again showed why you need more physical players in midfield.

J Rod put in loads of effort but if was all huff and puff really. He bottled a great chance.

For them, it all changed when Jack wheelchair came on. Otherwise that was our game yesterday.

Long scored how many last season ? Do you feel Puel plays a formation that suits our current strikers ?

Its not one poor ish performance is it . The majority of this season has been poor .

I enjoyed the game , obviously I would have been much happier if one of our chances had gone in , was our offside goal offside anyone ?? couldn't see from the top of the Chapel !!!

Is Bertrand OK ? he seems to get caught away from the left back spot plus his forward runs not so productive .

Can anyone confirm if the penalty spot where Kane and Arter missed, is the same end that tadic missed at after Antonio Candle a scuffed it up in the Inter Match?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well I'm not sure which game some people were watching yesterday but it wasn't the one I watched. It's clear that our strikers are struggling to find the goal this season and that needs sorting but it's not as if they didn't try.

Tadic had a bad game, but again he kept trying and didn't give up.

Yoshida really stepped up and was doing the job Virgil has been doing which I thought was good and Stephens is growing in confidence every game.

Not quite sure what Bertrand was up to but a couple of times he just didn't make the run when a through ball was played. Redmond was a real pain for them to deal with whenever he got the ball.

Forster..... had a better game. Actually came off the line for balls, would have been nice if he had got a hand on them but at Least he had a go rather than stand still.

JWP was nowhere and I wasn't surprised when he got subbed, Romeu worked hard. Davis tried but again showed why you need more physical players in midfield.

J Rod put in loads of effort but if was all huff and puff really. He bottled a great chance.

For them, it all changed when Jack wheelchair came on. Otherwise that was our game yesterday.

This pretty much sums it up for me, back to the Southampton pre-Gabbiadini (like Chelsea ;), we'll struggle to break down a defensive/counter-attacking Palace in the week) the substitutions dramatically changed the game for both sides.

Anyway, Bournemouth's big 'south coast derby' has been put well and truly in its place with last match billing on MOTD.

And if your name is 'Harry' don't take penalties at St Mary's.

Decent first 60 odd minutes but couldn't score, then completely melted when JWP was subbed and we lost our shape. We cannot play Redmond, Tadic, Boufal and a striker in the same team. There's nowhere near enough protection for the midfield, especially when a team ends up playing 5 in there.

Don't understand why we didn't play more balls over the top of their CB's, they were ridiculously slow but kept a high line - add in the fact that Boruc was rooted to his line, it seemed a no brainer, especially with Long on the pitch.

The refereeing was again poor, with a special mention for the Lino in front of us in the Itchen. What a complete and utter bottlejob you were. The penalty award was comical, just looked at each other for what seemed a lifetime, then Moss gives it on what can only be guesswork due to Bmouth players winging, then as soon as he gave it the Lino flagged too!

A word on Bertrand - for me one of his worst games he has had for us. Didn't seem interested in going forward, barely put a tackle in and general demeanour seemed like he couldn't give a toss. Hopefully just a one off, but concerned his latest stint with England has left his head somewhere else.

The end of this season cannot com quickly enough. Only way to describe it is weird.

Edited by ErwinK1961

Some of us invest a lot of money to watch the Saints.

Sometimes we want to enjoy that feeling of a fist pumping victory. Not holding on against Bournemouth.

Sometimes rather than great combination play and good solutions I want to enjoy some goal and a victory.

I want to be entertained! A 4-3 a 5-2. Not a 0-0 against a team we should be beating ar home with the quality of our squad.

Yes sometimes Inwant my expectations met.

Jay Rod should of stayed on longer, McQueen is not good enough at LW/RW so that sub is so uninspiring for a home team trying to attack to get the win.

I hope we get the win vs Palace because if we lose that we will get dragged into this relegation battle between the whole bottom half of the table.

Romeu and Yoshida played well and for me it wasnt a pen but I will need to see MOTD.

I want to see Caceres and Yoshi at CB vs Palace along with Long Tadic Boufal and Redmond as the attacking 4, with Jay Rod and Sims coming off the bench.

This

Some of us invest a lot of money to watch the Saints.

Sometimes we want to enjoy that feeling of a fist pumping victory. Not holding on against Bournemouth.

Sometimes rather than great combination play and good solutions I want to enjoy some goal and a victory.

I want to be entertained! A 4-3 a 5-2. Not a 0-0 against a team we should be beating ar home with the quality of our squad.

Yes sometimes Inwant my expectations met.

We feel your despair Andy,let's hope that some sharp words are spoken tomorrow morning when the coaches have to account to management for a job very badly done.

I understand JRod's frustration at being subbed (albeit after a pretty mediocre performance) but he really needs to stop having a strop every time he gets taken off.

agreed, he should score or at least, stop straying offside all the time

So are you saying it's bleak times? How many years have you followed Saints? Assuming you are right and we lose both games in hand we are....yep still top half.

No I said we were ok. Never said it was bleak. I do think those thinking those two games in hand are 6 points in the bag are a little too happy clappy though.

The summer will be critical. I don't think, like some others,that we have a bad squad, it could do with strengthening in some obvious areas but it's better than Bournemouths all day long.

Oh and as for how long I have supported Saints? I remember us getting promoted to the old division one...do you?

I enjoyed the game , obviously I would have been much happier if one of our chances had gone in , was our offside goal offside anyone ?? couldn't see from the top of the Chapel !!!

Is Bertrand OK ? he seems to get caught away from the left back spot plus his forward runs not so productive .

TBF to Ryan, if Claude has taught us one thing, it's that players (except VVD and Romeu for some reason) can't play two games a week so in reality he should have been rotated and rested for this one having played mid week.

what about when we got to a cup final and finished 8th in the same season? we came from that too

Cup final this season - check

Group stages of Europa league - check

Away at San Siro - check

League form has not been at the level of the last few years but Christ almighty when did some of our fan base turn into self entitled cretins.

To improve AGAIN on last year would have taken some beating with all things considered.

And some may look at the above facts as an improvement on last year

Cup final this season - check

Group stages of Europa league - check

Away at San Siro - check

League form has not been at the level of the last few years but Christ almighty when did some of our fan base turn into self entitled cretins.

To improve AGAIN on last year would have taken some beating with all things considered.

And some may look at the above facts as an improvement on last year

To be fair, the last two points were only possible because of last season. We didn't earn those based on this season.

This.