Southampton 0 Bournemouth 0 - Match & Reactions

Pass the Dutchie

O

Cup final this season - check

Group stages of Europa league - check

Away at San Siro - check

League form has not been at the level of the last few years but Christ almighty when did some of our fan base turn into self entitled cretins.

To improve AGAIN on last year would have taken some beating with all things considered.

And some may look at the above facts as an improvement on last year

Lol even if Kat had been managing the team we would have played at Milan and played in the Europa league group stages...that was a given for any manager taking the job this year...an achievement for this year would have been getting a result in the San Siro and getting out of the group stages ( especially given two of the teams were of really really low quality).

Another game that highlighted the importance of Gabbiadini, not that we didn't know that already.

The fact that people are reverting to bemoaning Puel for style or tactics is ridiculous. We played well in the first half, looked ok in the second until they made their subs. Emphasis on THEIR subs. We were doing ok but weren't creating a lot, so Puel decides to bring on Boufal, a player who can turn nothing into something and give another dimension. Taking off JWP was a bit of a gamble, but given we had a foothold in the game and JWP wasn't contributing much, it's understandable that he didn't want to sacrifice Redmond, who had been lively throughout and Tadic (more on him later), who was usually at the centre of the openings we had managed.

Then Howe responded with a sub, packing their midfield. They then controlled the game and it suggests that unless a team is intent on sitting back defending, having NR, SB & DT on the pitch at the same time doesn't appear to work, especially with Davis as one of the DMs. We had similar trouble when Mane played as a midfielder.

But the changes Puel made were perfectly understandable in the circumstances, and for much of the game until that point we were decent to watch. It's not Puel's fault our main (only?!) goal threat is injured.

Edited by mrfahaji

Another game that highlighted the importance of Gabbiadini, not that we didn't know that already.

The fact that people are reverting to bemoaning Puel for style or tactics is ridiculous. We played well in the first half, looked ok in the second until they made their subs. Emphasis on THEIR subs. We were doing ok but weren't creating a lot, so Puel decides to bring on Boufal, a player who can turn nothing into something and give another dimension. Taking off JWP was a bit of a gamble, but given we had a foothold in the game and JWP wasn't contributing much, it's understandable that he didn't want to sacrifice Redmond, who had been lively throughout and Tadic (more on him later), who was usually at the centre of the openings we had managed.

Then Howe responded with a sub, packing their midfield. They then controlled the game and it suggests that unless a team is intent on sitting back defending, having NR, SB & DT on the pitch at the same time doesn't appear to work, especially with Davis as one of the DMs. We had similar trouble when Mane played as a midfielder.

But the changes Puel made were perfectly understandable in the circumstances, and for much of the game until that point we were decent to watch. It's not Puel's fault our main (only?!) goal threat is injured.

This. Especially the bit about DT SB and NR all playing together.

We edged the first half. The first 20 of the second half was pretty equal , but they murdered us the last 25 mins. Taking the last 25 mins in isolation we were extremely lucky to get a point , but had we had Austin or Gabbi available it would have been like last year when we put the game to bed before their second half revival. Not many sides could lose their top 2 goal scorers & not struggle.

JWP poor, missed a sitter and generally average

Tadic was typical Tadic.

Redmond flattered to deceive

OR star man & I thought the centre halves were ok.

Bit of aggro about, I'll be surprised if the police agree a later kick off next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having witnessed what Gabiadini brings to our team it's hard to go back to the misfiring JayRod and Long (however much I like them). These players playing off a player like Lambert or Pelle are ideal, but Puel doesn't like to play to the players strengths, instead preferring to shoehorn players into his system.

The future can be bright, but I fear stubbornness and inflexiblilty could send us backwards, if players inevitably walk away at the end of the season.

Having witnessed what Gabiadini brings to our team it's hard to go back to the misfiring JayRod and Long (however much I like them). These players playing off a player like Lambert or Pelle are ideal, but Puel doesn't like to play to the players strengths, instead preferring to shoehorn players into his system.

The future can be bright, but I fear stubbornness and inflexiblilty could send us backwards, if players inevitably walk away at the end of the season.

So which big CF lump would you like Puel to play these players off. Bit harsh to accuse the manager of not playing to these players strengths when he doesn't have the tool required to get the best out of them.

I'm just saying "we're not even the worst side in the league" was probably Sunderland's rallying cry the last 3-4 seasons. I like to see the club grow or at least maintain standards. Watching us backslide is depressing.

Even at our worst this season we aren't even close to Sunderland's usual standards over the last few years. Is getting to our first major cup final since 2003 not growing the club (and yes a win would have been better)?

Thank you for this rational post.

I'd add to that, and say that we have TWO goal threats (Austin as well) injured, as well as the best CB in the entire league.

As I said before, Puel is doing a remarkable job in the circumstances.

I'd add to that, and say that we have TWO goal threats (Austin as well) injured, as well as the best CB in the entire league.

Puel is doing alright, he's yet to convince me yet though.

It's an example of why video refs wouldn't work.

Agreed,we sit in Block 36 ,square of the goal and just behind the goal line, i called it as a penalty in real time, Bmth moving fd, Saints going backwards ,fd went off of his feet, feet first!. Either he's been held back,or it's a hell of a dive. Go down your local park now, sprint 10yds ,try and fall backwards with your feet in front of you. Bet you can't do it!

How anyone thinks he is doing a remarkable job is baffling . Decent managers shape the team to get the best out of the players they have .

Puel seems incapable of this .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Depends what your expectations and ambitions are I guess?

Pamplemousse is one of those fans that's just pleased to be back in the top league, so keeping us up is "remarkable"

Alot of posters like him on here and there's no problems with that.

I personally choose to be more ambitious and demanding. I don't want SFC to make up the numbers.

The league 1 drop and administration had an impact on some IMHO. Lowering ambitions and expectations protects them. No judgement from me..... We are all different

Long scored how many last season ? Do you feel Puel plays a formation that suits our current strikers ?

Puel doesn't play a formation that suits Long, because he doesn't have Mane. His formation does works fine for a quality striker that can finish (Gabbi). If he (Gabbi) had been signed when we needed him (at the beginning of the season) I bet we'd be challenging Everton for a European spot. And made it past the group stages in the EL.

We were always going to go backwards at somepoint. The injuries to VVD and Austin have been a massive blow to us and the squad Puel has had to pick from simply isn't as good as we have had in recent years. I have lost interest a bit this season but it has generally (cup run aside) been pretty poor. We really need to sort out the forward line for next season; J-Rod sadly looks to be finished as a PL striker. If Gabbiadini and Austin can stay fit we will score plenty of goals. Boufal is a worry still; it seems he almost wants to create problems for himself to try and overdo things instead of just beating his man.

We were always going to be due an undewhelming season and some seem to struggle to accept it. Spend the VVD money wisely and I'd expect a much better next season. We just have to put up with getting beat a few more times this season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I thought for a 0-0 it was quite an entertaining game few heart in mouth moments, and neither team could hit a cows backside with a banjo.

Anyone mithering about Puel and his tactics needs to pull their head out of the cows backside we can't hit. If you were actually at the game he was doing his nut at some of the horse poo our players elected to play. There is no end product J Rod is shot, Shane Long is just playing roulette...... Tadic (did some joker say he was given MOTM?) if he wants to play for some one bigger than Saints, well Dušan stop flapping your hands about at everyone, you can't bloody fly mate, play to the bloody whistle, and concentrate on hitting the ball for a simple quick pass that finds the man in a Saints shirt.

Thought Yoshida, Stephens, Davis, Romeu stood out.......... but we miss a focal point that we have when Gabbi is in the team, and had with Pelle sprinkled with the randomness of Mane.

Just hope this is a transition season............... we were due one sooner or later (I know broken record) given the amount of players we hemorrhage every summer.

Good points, but one thing about tactics. We play too far back and tend to side pass too often when we should be pushing up as a team. In the first half we had plenty of opportunities to score but our strikers simply weren't sharp enough against a well organised defence. In the second half we were forced back but couldn't score on the break because strikers, Long in particular, weren't supported on long runs, and time again Boruc was able to comfortably collect the ball at Long's feet.

Both keepers were the stars of the match and made some crucial saves. Our defence has improved but Bournemouth's attacking and defending was tactically superior.

Edited by eelpie

Puel doesn't play a formation that suits Long, because he doesn't have Mane. His formation does works fine for a quality striker that can finish (Gabbi). If he (Gabbi) had been signed when we needed him (at the beginning of the season) I bet we'd be challenging Everton for a European spot. And made it past the group stages in the EL.

This. Long is lethal when attacking with another striker, in pairs, when defenders are spilt.

We edged the first half. The first 20 of the second half was pretty equal , but they murdered us the last 25 mins. Taking the last 25 mins in isolation we were extremely lucky to get a point , but had we had Austin or Gabbi available it would have been like last year when we put the game to bed before their second half revival. Not many sides could lose their top 2 goal scorers & not struggle.

JWP poor, missed a sitter and generally average

Tadic was typical Tadic.

Redmond flattered to deceive

OR star man & I thought the centre halves were ok.

Bit of aggro about, I'll be surprised if the police agree a later kick off next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with most of this. Regarding the individual analysis, think "sitter" is a bit harsh on JWP but he should definitely have done better. Afobe's was an easier chance!

Tadic. The main thing that stood out for me yesterday was how even within a game he is inconsistent. But more than that, his attitude seems to exacerbate whichever cycle he is in. Yes he fluffed a decent chance in the first few minutes, but generally he was thriving with the space afforded to us, regularly opening up the defence with key passes and through balls. Then came a spell where he wasn't getting the ball much and his head drops, his passing becomes lackadaisical, and you can almost read "well what can I do, it's not going my way" in his body language. Fast forward another 15 minutes, he misses another good chance (though was also a bit unlucky), and from then on out everything he touches comes off, he's beating players, he has you on the edge of your seat until half time. There's no denying he makes things happen from an attacking perspective, he just needs to show a bit more mental resilience when the going gets tough.

I was actually impressed with Redmond, especially first half, and I was very critical of him earlier in the season. He was buzzing around, and seemed to be doing everything with a bit more urgency (while still doing things crisply) than he used to.

Boufal was horrific against Spurs but think he is being unfairly criticised for yesterday. Yes his introduction coincided, not coincidentally, with us losing shape and being outnumbered, but his job was to make something happen and unlock the defence. It's difficult to do that when your team barely have the ball, but nevertheless he did do a few things that could have led to a goal.

Rodriguez had an encouraging game, in the sense that he made good runs and got in behind the defence, even had a couple of decent efforts. However he never looks convincing when he has the ball at his feet, he looks heavy legged and a far cry from the fleet footed player he once was. Someone mentioned Fernando Torres to me yesterday and I thought him an excellent comparison, at Chelsea he wasn't suddenly a bad player, but had clearly lost that sharpness from his injury that meant he was always a shadow of the Liverpool player. Steve Cook made a brilliant tackle when Long was nearly through on goal, but he never had to do that with Rodriguez, was easy for him to get back and win the ball. And that's Steve Cook. And as for Jay throwing a strop for being subbed... you're on the pitch to score, you haven't managed it, so maybe be grateful you're starting he game and getting that amount of time in the first place.

Edited by mrfahaji

He kept us in the game by the end with some stunning saves. Some potato.

Stunning or expected? Or stunning simply because we now don't expect them?!

I only saw them once or twice (not on MOTD), but to me they looked like saves a keeper should be making. Admittedly, it's at least nice to have him make those which hasn't been the case of late.

He has been very unlucky with injuries to key players granted, but I do not buy that he has done a remarkable job.

He has been very unlucky with injuries to key players granted, but I do not buy that he has done a remarkable job.

No, not remarkable, but good enough to suggest we can be a lot better next year, and certainly not bad enough to warrant being fired.

He kept us in the game by the end with some stunning saves. Some potato.

A very good save, not stunning (thought it was in real-time but not when I saw it on MOTD replay). You couldn't fault him yesterday for lack of saves, he saved one shot they had on target (Davis cleared another one off the line (BBC think it was JWP), I don't recall the third). Anyway praise where its due, he did make a good save. He was still awful when it came to his punching (though at least he did come for a couple, more than he usually does), almost wiped Stephens out with one of them.

Good points, but one thing about tactics. We play too far back and tend to side pass too often when we should be pushing up as a team. In the first half we had plenty of opportunities to score but our strikers simply weren't sharp enough against a well organised defence. In the second half we were forced back but couldn't score on the break because strikers, Long in particular, weren't supported on long runs, and time again Boruc was able to comfortably collect the ball at Long's feet.

Both keepers were the stars of the match and made some crucial saves. Our defence has improved but Bournemouth's attacking and defending was tactically superior.

Cannot agree with this, they defended well but their attack was woeful, hence they didn't score !

Had Jrod missed Afobe's sitter and Tadic missed Arter's pen, there would have been a total meltdown on here :)

Thanks for posting a correct review, it`s good to see there are several posters who know what they are talking about.

Absolutely spot on....as usual.

(Since the start of the season - excluding recent Gabbiadini signing) Puel has had a much weaker overall squad than Koeman did, but is still managing to do ok. Yes, the new players like Boufal, Hojbjerg and Redmond have the potential to be really good for us, but it hasnt quite happened as yet, and they arent (and shouldnt be expected to) performing at the same level as players like Pelle, Wanyama and Mane did (I know they're in different positions). With this in mind, plus the long term injuries to a few key players, I think Puel has done a pretty good job, especially at integrating the youth players and helping them (noticeably) improve.

Saturday was frustrating, with Gabbiadini instead of J-Sulk we would've probably won quite comfortably, but there were also a few very dodgy moments in defence. Was surprised Caceres didnt play with Yoshida just back from Japan, but guess that means we'll probably never see him (bar injury).

So in summary it's not Puels job to get Long and Jay scoring and his tactics will only work when we have a full strength team + striker on electric form.

OK sounds promising :?

No your right any other manager would be ripping up the league with Jrod and Long as their striking options. I bet Pep could turn them into world beaters.

Hell Long is just a few good coaching sessions away from being the next Aguero...

(Since the start of the season - excluding recent Gabbiadini signing) Puel has had a much weaker overall squad than Koeman did, but is still managing to do ok. Yes, the new players like Boufal, Hojbjerg and Redmond have the potential to be really good for us, but it hasnt quite happened as yet, and they arent (and shouldnt be expected to) performing at the same level as players like Pelle, Wanyama and Mane did (I know they're in different positions). With this in mind, plus the long term injuries to a few key players, I think Puel has done a pretty good job, especially at integrating the youth players and helping them (noticeably) improve.

Saturday was frustrating, with Gabbiadini instead of J-Sulk we would've probably won quite comfortably, but there were also a few very dodgy moments in defence. Was surprised Caceres didnt play with Yoshida just back from Japan, but guess that means we'll probably never see him (bar injury).

TBF to our defence having Forster flapping around, not communicating and generally struggling with the basics of goal keeping behind them can't be inspiring much confidence.

TBF to our defence having Forster flapping around, not communicating and generally struggling with the basics of goal keeping behind them can't be inspiring much confidence.

Do you think someone has told Forster he needs to come off his line a bit more? Yesterday felt like that - to say he didn't look comfortable is an understatement but it seemed like he was making a concious effort to do so!

Do you think someone has told Forster he needs to come off his line a bit more? Yesterday felt like that - to say he didn't look comfortable is an understatement but it seemed like he was making a concious effort to do so!

Yeah most I've seen him come of his line in a long time problem was he never inspired much confidence doing it flapping his arms or missing the ball completely.

So in summary it's not Puels job to get Long and Jay scoring and his tactics will only work when we have a full strength team + striker on electric form.

OK sounds promising :?

For all your negativity (except for your "we can finish above Everton" posts, please stop them!), I do actually see your argument here - if people are going to use the lack of quality players to excuse the manager (which I am one), we can't suddenly heap praise on him if we start winning with a brilliant first eleven.

The caveat I'd add here though, is that even our strongest eleven is not mouth wateringly good - and at times in previous years, it has been. Yes, it is up to the manager to get the best out of the players, but with the exception of Long & Tadic, which outfield players have dipped in form? And they are both inconsistent even at the best of times.

When they read out the teams at Wembley I looked at my dad as if to say "not much comparison is there? We could get a thrashing" - in truth I was overestimating United, but it also highlights being underwhelmed by our own strengths. Yet despite not having the greatest team, we still play well and rarely look a poor side. Since you thought Rodriguez was outstanding, you would probably say he was the right choice to start the game. However, for all his good runs, he demonstrated time and again that he doesn't have that extra edge needed to turn a half chance into a goal and the move regularly ended once it was up to him to do something with the ball. Not only does our entire play take on an extra dimension with Gabbiadini, but of course if we score in the first half as we may well have done with him playing, we are probably having a very different discussion (or not one at all) due to a different result.

Edited by mrfahaji

Good points - whether the penalty was correctly given or not, it was missed and the defence delivered a clean sheet. Better than at Watford where we ended up with 3 points. JRod appeared to be back on form. Another good performance by Davis. One point better than zero . Points on Wed night will soon make us forget Saturday.

No your right any other manager would be ripping up the league with Jrod and Long as their striking options. I bet Pep could turn them into world beaters.

Hell Long is just a few good coaching sessions away from being the next Aguero...

:lol: Very good.....not that he will get it - but very good.

As 0-0s go it was a decent watch - thought we could have had it wrapped up it at half time if we'd gone in a couple of goals up, which wouldn't have been undeserved.

A word on Dusan here, he did a few good things in the game and was difficult to pick up at times, but if you're going to play as the central attacking midfielder and complain about how you shouldn't get subbed, when you have 5 presentable opportunities you at least need to hit the target with one of them.

But we didn't take any chances, and in the second half went for the winner with the substitutions but they didn't work out.

We weren't able to counter the arrival of Wilshere, and for me this was Puel's one mistake in the game that almost cost us in the end. I would have got Hoj on to sit with Romeu rather than bring McQueen on. Disappointing the way we lost our way and in the end, I was quite glad when it finished and we'd got the 0-0 as they were all over us for the last 15 mins in particular (reminded of the end of the 2-2 with Leicester last year).

But the doom merchants on here are way over the top - if we'd scored the goals we should have in the first half, the second half would have been very different - we wouldn't have gone chasing the win and instead just controlled the game, rather than experiencing the all hands to the pump ending that we somehow escaped from.

Yes I want Puel to turn them into Augero, that's just what I said right :?

Perhaps just on par with last season would be a start?

Long

Last season 13 goals and 7 assists

This season 4 goals and 3 assists

Tadic

Last season 9 goals and 15 assists

This season 3 goals and 6 assists

Its Puels job to get the best out of the players available. Not make excuses

Yes I want Puel to turn them into Augero, that's just what I said right :?

Perhaps just on par with last season would be a start?

Long

Last season 13 goals and 7 assists

This season 4 goals and 3 assists

Tadic

Last season 9 goals and 15 assists

This season 3 goals and 6 assists

Its Puels job to get the best out of the players available. Not make excuses

Lol

Shane Long has only ever managed double figures for goals in a season three times in his career and one of those was in the championship. Last season was his best ever in the PL and was the exception not the rule plenty of managers have been unable to get Long to perform as well as last season.

Tadic had loads of assissts last season but then he had Mane and Pelle to work with rather than Jrod and back to normal Shane Long.

Your flimsy arguments don't hold water because the circumstances of this season are not the same as last season it would be a fine arguement if the only difference between this squad and last seasons squad were Puel and Koeman but its not ....

I've never rated Long (and I live in Dublin so have to regularly defend this view!). Yes he's busy and harrasses well but to my mind he's not a natural finisher, which is what he's (predominantly) paid to do. It may or may not be true, but it feels to me over the years like we've had lots of Tadic-esque midfielders; great on their day but too often go missing for long periods - I suspect Boufal may ultimately end up in this category as well. I would always leave JWP on when you need a goal simply for his dead ball ability. I like many above am unconvinced by Puel. I'm also not convinced to what extent we can pat ourselves on the back for the clean sheet given the Beckham-style freak penalty miss. What was most worrying for me was seeing a team like Bournemouth all over us for the last quarter of the game.

I've never rated Long (and I live in Dublin so have to regularly defend this view!). Yes he's busy and harrasses well but to my mind he's not a natural finisher, which is what he's (predominantly) paid to do. It may or may not be true, but it feels to me over the years like we've had lots of Tadic-esque midfielders; great on their day but too often go missing for long periods - I suspect Boufal may ultimately end up in this category as well. I would always leave JWP on when you need a goal simply for his dead ball ability. I like many above am unconvinced by Puel. I'm also not convinced to what extent we can pat ourselves on the back for the clean sheet given the Beckham-style freak penalty miss. What was most worrying for me was seeing a team like Bournemouth all over us for the last quarter of the game.

They didn't need the last quarter of the game against Liverpool. Just the last 15 minutes to score three goals.

All these things are relative, and as such, you need to put them in perspective.

To dismiss the opposition as "a team like Bournemouth" implies they are utter crap. Clearly they are not and some people have a false and inflated sense of entitlement if they think we just have to turn up to get three points.

I'm sure Liverpool fans felt something similar when they were 3-1 up.

We came closer to scoring from Tadic's corners than JWP's. Not denying he has a decent delivery from set pieces, but if we have other players on the pitch capable of putting in a good ball as well, I'm not sure this alone is worthy of keeping him on if he's struggling to influence the game.

They didn't need the last quarter of the game against Liverpool. Just the last 15 minutes to score three goals.

All these things are relative, and as such, you need to put them in perspective.

To dismiss the opposition as "a team like Bournemouth" implies they are utter crap. Clearly they are not and some people have a false and inflated sense of entitlement if they think we just have to turn up to get three points.

I'm sure Liverpool fans felt something similar when they were 3-1 up.

and Man utd as well when they got a draw with 10 men

Next season will be different. With target men Gabbi for a full year and Austin back, either together or rotating for each other, we should score a lot more. Its hard to get assists with the current team, and also having a target a man (men) upfront that the defense needs to focus on will open up the field for Tadic, etc.

We came closer to scoring from Tadic's corners than JWP's. Not denying he has a decent delivery from set pieces, but if we have other players on the pitch capable of putting in a good ball as well, I'm not sure this alone is worthy of keeping him on if he's struggling to influence the game.

Also, how many goals have we scored from set pieces this season (genuine question)? from memory 1 (VVD's goal against Tottenham at home).

Also, how many goals have we scored from set pieces this season (genuine question)? from memory 1 (VVD's goal against Tottenham at home).

Austin v Burnley I can remember, Redmond scored 2 goals from corners too.

Free kicks in particular it seems like Lambert was the last player we had you felt might score direct from a free kick.

I always thought VVD was supposed to be awesome with the free kicks but we seem to prefer him to be in the box rather than taking them.