Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Proven PL right back coming into his prime? You'd expect £25 million in today's market, if not more to tempt the club to sell.

I'd expect £35 million for Bertrand, if the board sells for like £25 million that will be a poor deal IMO.

Leicester fans are talking about Perreira as if he'll be the best right back in the league next season. Rose tinted specs perhaps, but it certainly seems like Porto were gutted to lose him.

Personally unless £30 million+ comes in for Cedric, or he kicks up a fuss and wants to leave, I'd keep him. We're already most likely seeing Pied leave e/o/c, and it's easier to replace one right back than two, and really, could we upgrade on Cedric for less than we'd sell him for? Sign Fredericks and have him and Cedric fighting it out for a first team spot. Instant strength.

A good World Cup will see him gone......a bad one and he probably stays

Very much as I see it. I was hoping both he and Bertrand would have outstanding World Cups to see the values rocket, but not going to be the case.

• 5 weeks later...
Strange article that

Talks him up while also slagging him off , sounds like it's written by a united fan trying to justify them buying the Portuguese right back who never even made the world cup squad imo! ?

• 1 month later...
Anybody know what’s happened to him, Echo said he was meant to be back start of this week but hasn’t been in any training/media photos. Is he injured? Has he even returned yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even posted on instagram I don't think since "returning" [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Heard a rumour he's not returned and that the club are looking at Kévin Malcuit to replace rather than have another Virgil.

Can't say this is true, but a rumour I've heard.

Overheard in a pub or taxi, club employee or someone related? I appreciate you're not claiming great importance to the rumour, but a little extra meat on the bones would be appreciated. Who the f.. is kevin badlycooked? I'm going to have to google, aren't I?

Would not suprise me if we sold Cedric. His contract is running down, best time to get value. He has given 3 years and the last one probably hasn't resembled what was sold to him.

His season didn't resemble what was sold to us, either.

We are being linked heavily with an Inter Milan right back. Someone who can tackle, dribble and cross the ball, something Soares can’t do.

Cash him in and get the stupid money teams have to pay these days.

Who's the Inter Milan player?

Has anyone seen any rumours of any club being interested in Cedric this summer. I know in the past their have been some Lol rumours about Real but I don't think I've ever seen much interest in him from elsewhere. Mind you being Portuguese he will probably rock up at Wolves.

Can’t see why! He is not particularly good.

Find it unbelievable when I read of indifference as to whether Bertrand, Cedric and Tadic leave the club. Sure he may not have been always on top form but these are quality proven Premier League players. All three have been excellent servants, I am disappointed Tadic left and don’t want to lose either of our full backs

The link to the story I saw:

I know it's a Brazillian Saints fan page, but he's in Southampton and has been pretty good with snippets in the past.

Wouldn't have given it a second thought but for the "where is he?" Posts

Find it unbelievable when I read of indifference as to whether Bertrand, Cedric and Tadic leave the club. Sure he may not have been always on top form but these are quality proven Premier League players. All three have been excellent servants, I am disappointed Tadic left and don’t want to lose either of our full backs

This.

Whilst he is mobile and gets forward well his crossing rarely hits the target. His defensive work is a problem as he is light in the tackle and because of his lack of height is targeted on our back post by opponents. No more than useful but a definite weakness. If we get a good offer we should look to replace him.

Would be pleased if he could be replaced by someone better in the air and better in his final ball. It seems to be suggested on here that it’d be impossible for little old Southampton to find a right back who could provide those things, but I really don’t see why, Cedric is just not very good. Targett, a left footed, left back, playing at right back, showed the other night that it is actually possible to deliver a cross to one of the team’s attacking players (twice!).

Whilst he is mobile and gets forward well his crossing rarely hits the target. His defensive work is a problem as he is light in the tackle and because of his lack of height is targeted on our back post by opponents. No more than useful but a definite weakness. If we get a good offer we should look to replace him.

His crossing is horrendous yes but his defending certainly isn't a problem in my opinion. How many times does he get beaten by an opposition winger? Sometimes struggles slightly positionally but he is more than capable for a club of our size. I'd prefer we kept him as I'm far from convinced about our recruitment strategy of late.

Would be pleased if he could be replaced by someone better in the air and better in his final ball. It seems to be suggested on here that it’d be impossible for little old Southampton to find a right back who could provide those things, but I really don’t see why, Cedric is just not very good. Targett, a left footed, left back, playing at right back, showed the other night that it is actually possible to deliver a cross to one of the team’s attacking players (twice!).

Or once the ball for the second goal was a little through ball not a cross. Targett had a good 45 minutes but I'd be wary of reading to much into it.

Or once the ball for the second goal was a little through ball not a cross. Targett had a good 45 minutes but I'd be wary of reading to much into it.

I agree with your thoughts on Targett. Was good to see his performance and really encouraging but let's not get carried away, it was 45 minutes in a pre-season friendly.

If we are going with 3 at the back this season, which looks likely, then the wing backs have to be mobile and have good crossing ability. Cedric is mobile, but his crossing over the last couple of seasons has been terrible.

He isn’t back yet. No idea if that’s planned or not.

To be honest I’d forgotten we even had him. Can’t see him sticking around long which would be a shame as I think he’s better then people make out.

Yep, I find it incredible many posters seem happy to shed Cedric, Lemina, Bertrand, Tadic, Boufal etc but are enthusiastic about keeping the likes of mediocre players like Long, Austin, Redmond, Bednarek, Hoedt and Ward-Prowse.

He isn’t back yet. No idea if that’s planned or not.

To be honest I’d forgotten we even had him. Can’t see him sticking around long which would be a shame as I think he’s better then people make out.

that can’t be planned surely ?

Portugal were knocked out the World Cup on 30th June. Even allowing travel time etc that’s over a month, that’s more holiday than anyone else in the squad isn’t it ?

Whilst he's not been as good recently going forward, he is solid defensively. He's one of those players who's not spectacular but is a steady 6-7 / 10 each week. I do worry that we'll realise what we're missing once he goes.

He's the sort of player other teams' fans rate and would be excited about signing

Indeed, and if rumours were circling that we were about to sign a Euros winner and world cup player from Portugal, they'd be plenty of salivating on here too, regardless of recent club form :)