Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

I've lost count of the goals we conceded last season with tall players pulling off onto the back post. Fundamentally he is unable to defend against tall attackers in the air because of his height which pressures our centre backs to try and cover him leaving gaps. Burnley, Brighton, Huddersfield, Arsenal just a few examples. A third centre back may help but he is still too short.

I've lost count of the goals we conceded last season with tall players pulling off onto the back post. Fundamentally he is unable to defend against tall attackers in the air because of his height which pressures our centre backs to try and cover him leaving gaps. Burnley, Brighton, Huddersfield, Arsenal just a few examples. A third centre back may help but he is still too short.

Well if they've got their hands full doing this it's no wonder they're not concentrating and we're conceding goals.

True but part of that problem was that the centre back next to him was often Jack Stephens, who seems to enjoy heading as much as Bertrand enjoys life.

I thought Cedric was one of our worst players last season, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that Pellegrino's hesitant, negative tactics seemed to most obvious in the way Cedric played - i.e. reluctant to get forward, always looking for a safe inside pass etc.

Yep, I find it incredible many posters seem happy to shed Cedric, Lemina, Bertrand, Tadic, Boufal etc but are enthusiastic about keeping the likes of mediocre players like Long, Austin, Redmond, Bednarek, Hoedt and Ward-Prowse.

I wouldn't worry too much about all the hot air emanating from posters who are ever happy to diss our players yet having never set foot inside St Mary's to see them play. Cedric is a class act and would be a huge loss if he does not return.

I have voiced my concerns as to his whereabouts for several weeks now and the latest fake news of "tummy bugs" does Hughes or the club no credit whatsoever. Tell us the truth, we can handle it!

The thought of having to line-up alongside Stephens and Ward Prowse after spending the summer in Russia with Ronaldo may have been the the last straw.

If he is going, or has refused to train, why not just be honest about it? Not like it is the club's fault.

Players get protected way too much.

From a Saints perspective, Cedric is a good player, one of few who could actually move to a team that is better than us. We will need to replace well or the trend of slowly but steadily reducing the quality of the squad will continue.

Targett after one pre season game out of position at RWB is not the answer.

In theory we should be able to get £20m+ for him. Also worth noting we can sell him abroad until the end of August, so no crazy rush to sell, and possibly we might replace him first.

Also a shame we will likely go into the season with zero available right sided defensive players.

So just to be straight. International euro winning Cedric isn't good enough for Saints and we should cash in on him? But on the strength of a 45 minute pre- season game Targett is great and mustn't be sold to Fulham at any cost.....odd world

is fonte?

So just to be straight. International euro winning Cedric isn't good enough for Saints and we should cash in on him? But on the strength of a 45 minute pre- season game Targett is great and mustn't be sold to Fulham at any cost.....odd world

Exactly

Daily echo says Hughes will play him v Burnley despite being away till now. Anyone suspect it wasn’t a poorly tummy (couldn’t keep up his fitness if it was) and instead was maybe a tantrum cos there had been an offer and Saints turned it down?

Daily echo says Hughes will play him v Burnley despite being away till now. Anyone suspect it wasn’t a poorly tummy (couldn’t keep up his fitness if it was) and instead was maybe a tantrum cos there had been an offer and Saints turned it down?

Always likely. I thought we were selling players that didn't want to be here?

He's spoken in the past about being sold to a big club. I think there was a tantrum myself. Hopefully all put to one side now...

Surely if a big club had come in for him there would be something in the press about it? I haven't seen anything but I could have missed it. I'm pretty sure if Real, Man U or who ever had bid for Cedric we would have heard about it?

Surely no-one still believes the tummy bug story do they? The Echo believes he is due back today and Hughes will play him at the weekend. If you've had gastrentiritis you won't be playing PL football this weekend. Really surprised this isn't being covered more, player has clearly thrown his toys out of the pram and no-one seems bothered and the club don't seem able to tell us anything about what's going on. Meanwhile we rely on our beck up right back, oh wait we don't have one, even though super fit Jeremy Pied is still witout a club. Bloody shambles, it will be good in future if we don't have players who go away for big summer tournaments, this is happening more and more, Courtois seems to have done the same thing, its shameful of players these days.

Surely no-one still believes the tummy bug story do they? The Echo believes he is due back today and Hughes will play him at the weekend. If you've had gastrentiritis you won't be playing PL football this weekend. Really surprised this isn't being covered more, player has clearly thrown his toys out of the pram and no-one seems bothered and the club don't seem able to tell us anything about what's going on. Meanwhile we rely on our beck up right back, oh wait we don't have one, even though super fit Jeremy Pied is still witout a club. Bloody shambles, it will be good in future if we don't have players who go away for big summer tournaments, this is happening more and more, Courtois seems to have done the same thing, its shameful of players these days.

If I ran a perm team and a player had the ****s and thought it was a bug they’d stay away from the facilities for a good 48hrs or more from when cleared up. He’s been playing the the World Cup v recently so his fitness should be fine. Not saying this is true as equally speculative but with no noises in the press at all it is just as possible he had a bug for 24hrs and has been kept away until certain it’s clear. In all it’s as likely as not he’s just been a bit poorly

Do you want our club to have a set of players not good enough for international events? Daft! I want them all to be good enough and to do well, like Yoshida

If I ran a perm team and a player had the ****s and thought it was a bug they’d stay away from the facilities for a good 48hrs or more from when cleared up. He’s been playing the the World Cup v recently so his fitness should be fine. Not saying this is true as equally speculative but with no noises in the press at all it is just as possible he had a bug for 24hrs and has been kept away until certain it’s clear. In all it’s as likely as not he’s just been a bit poorly

Eight days is taking the micky. He was supposed to have been back training last Monday (so flew in Sunday) and it seems like he is still not back. Don't think his fitness is an issue (although if he has had gastro-e it would be) he is known to be super-fit, but its not all about fitness, its being involved and working with the new players/tactics. Of course I don't want to have players that aren't good enough but getting ****ed off with prima donnas who go away, get their heads turned and throw a hissy fit to get a move away. Its happening too often. What I'm really ****ed off about is the club who don't seem to consider telling us what is going on and who don't seem to be taking any action to cover off this situation.

What I'm really ****ed off about is the club who don't seem to consider telling us what is going on and who don't seem to be taking any action to cover off this situation.

What's the point? You've already made up your own theory. It could be true but we don't actually know. In the Echo I believe Hughes talks about 'considering' playing him due to his natural fitness, and depending on the exact nature of the bug his absence could be just precautionary and he's suffering from a little dehydration. Fact is, for all the rumours we don't know.

As far as I'm aware, not a single offer has been made. Whether he and/or his agent think one will materialise as long as he sits tight, who knows?

That's what I figured usually if a player is throwing a strop because he wants a big move that gets in to the press pretty quickly. I can't remember seeing any stories linking Cedric with anyone. Maybe someone is interested in him but if they are its unusual not to hear something about it in the press.

Maybe just maybe he has had the sh its and was granted an extra week off........

I'm led to believe that the "official line" out of the club changed midway through last week, so basically it became fairly obvious that something was up, and that the illness line being pushed at the moment is a cover for him being a pain in the arse.

I'm led to believe that the "official line" out of the club changed midway through last week, so basically it became fairly obvious that something was up, and that the illness line being pushed at the moment is a cover for him being a pain in the arse.
The stuff in the Echo today about him having a chance to play on Sunday is obviously a load of ******** designed to make Cedric look bad when we start the season without an available RB, as it won't be due to fitness issues as the Manager has said he is ready to play him with minimal training.

Don't understand why we aren't more honest about it. Its the player who is being unprofessional so call him out on it!

He will probably keep it up right til the end of August as well, so three key games with no right sided player - shambles all round.

The stuff in the Echo today about him having a chance to play on Sunday is obviously a load of ******** designed to make Cedric look bad when we start the season without an available RB, as it won't be due to fitness issues as the Manager has said he is ready to play him with minimal training.

Don't understand why we aren't more honest about it. Its the player who is being unprofessional so call him out on it!

He will probably keep it up right til the end of August as well, so three key games with no right sided player - shambles all round.

Maybe in this case the club really don't know what's going on. It seems from the ITK snippets in this thread he was expected back, hasn't turned up for pre- season and the club haven't had any contact from him

The assumption would be he is trying to get a move away but it seems the club haven't had any offers, according to Steve, for him so its all a bit odd. The sickness seems like a cover story that sounds better than "We have no idea where our player is"

Might also explain the alleged pursuit of the French RB rumoured in the press recently.

I'd be surprised if any decent club would want him, would have been quite content with us selling him and bringing in a replacement. Obviously we've left it all too late to do anything about it, so we're now in a situation with an unhappy player sitting out for weeks whilst we play LB's and CM's at right back.

Unless the club have the clever idea of selling him to a European Club at some point in the next few weeks, thus leaving the club without a right back.

I'd be surprised if any decent club would want him, would have been quite content with us selling him and bringing in a replacement. Obviously we've left it all too late to do anything about it, so we're now in a situation with an unhappy player sitting out for weeks whilst we play LB's and CM's at right back.

Unless the club have the clever idea of selling him to a European Club at some point in the next few weeks, thus leaving the club without a right back.

We should've signed Chambers on loan to replace our "sick" right-back with our previously "sick" right-back.