Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Does anyone have any facts to support him having a temper tantrum rather than being sick? Its all speculation. Cedric is a very good player and someone we need out there.

As soon as the quotes came out about him being 'sick' is when the alarm bells started ringing for me. No sightings of him at all in pre-season, no OS photos or interviews. They made a big thing about Maya's return, but diddly squat about Cedric. (Reminds me of Fonte’s return after the Euros)

They'll keep it hush, but I think it seems as if he's pushing for some sort of move whilst we flap around trying to work out what to do.

I'd be surprised if any decent club would want him, would have been quite content with us selling him and bringing in a replacement. Obviously we've left it all too late to do anything about it, so we're now in a situation with an unhappy player sitting out for weeks whilst we play LB's and CM's at right back.

Unless the club have the clever idea of selling him to a European Club at some point in the next few weeks, thus leaving the club without a right back.

Tbf if as Steve says we haven't received any bids for him its Cedric and his agent that left it to late rather than the club. I'm pretty sure sure the club would have happily cashed in on him if they had received a decent offer for him earlier in the summer.

Cedric is not particularly good for us IMO

Trouble is, I have little faith in the club bringing in a quality replacement

He is rarely beaten on the floor, has excellent pace and recovery skills and gets up and down the pitch, even if it's a case of quantity over quality. He's easily one of our best players, though that probably says more about the mediocrity of our squad.

But then you also thought that Pelle was rubbish, so perhaps not the best judge of a player?

I also said Puel had no future at Saints and Pellegrino was terrible very early.

cant get it right all of the time.

what is your opinion on Cedric...do you think he is excellent, if so...when was this..?

He is rarely beaten on the floor, has excellent pace and recovery skills and gets up and down the pitch, even if it's a case of quantity over quality. He's easily one of our best players, though that probably says more about the mediocrity of our squad.

This for me. He's a very good defender. Reassuring when he's on the pitch. Improve his skills going forward and he'd be top drawer.

I also said Puel had no future at Saints and Pellegrino was terrible very early.

cant get it right all of the time.

what is your opinion on Cedric...do you think he is excellent, if so...when was this..?

Do you mean when did I say that he was excellent. or when was he excellent when he played? I think he is a decent full back. Not the best we have ever had but not as poor as you seem to think he is. I'd be happy if he stays. I also thought that Pelle was a decent player. Again, not the best striker we have had but, again, not as poor as you thought he was. The club dont seem to be in a rush to sell him so I assume they rate him too.

Oh, and what you actually said was that Puel would be gone by Christmas so you didnt get that right at all.

Do you mean when did I say that he was excellent. or when was he excellent when he played? I think he is a decent full back. Not the best we have ever had but not as poor as you seem to think he is. I'd be happy if he stays. I also thought that Pelle was a decent player. Again, not the best striker we have had but, again, not as poor as you thought he was. The club dont seem to be in a rush to sell him so I assume they rate him too.

Oh, and what you actually said was that Puel would be gone by Christmas so you didnt get that right at all.

6 months out...which was a damn sight closer to the mark than what every you waffled on about regarding his tenure

6 months out...which was a damn sight closer to the mark than what every you waffled on about regarding his tenure

Who can forget Soggy playing the Fergie card when arguing Pellegrino should be given more time. This was at a time when even a blindman could see the writing was on the wall. In a parallel universe, somewhere, Pellegrino is leading us to a treble as we speak. Or maybe not :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Who can forget Soggy playing the Fergie card when arguing Pellegrino should be given more time. This was at a time when even a blindman could see the writing was on the wall. In a parallel universe, somewhere, Pellegrino is leading us to a treble as we speak. Or maybe not :lol:

I think a number of people would think it reasonable to give a new manager at least until the New Year but then we dont all play the hindsight card do we pal? Just as well for Koeman and the club that he wasnt sacked after his poor run of form (but that would be me playing the hindsight card too pal ;)).

I'm led to believe that the "official line" out of the club changed midway through last week, so basically it became fairly obvious that something was up, and that the illness line being pushed at the moment is a cover for him being a pain in the arse.

Wonder if the timing of the illness line also lines up with Malcuit opting for Napoli. The “Southampton were willing to pay £18m” line from the mirror, coupled with the current sell to buy situation makes it appear that it would have been Cedric out and Malcuit in as unlikely we’d feel the need to stack so much at right back with more pressing needs elsewhere.

Could there have been a situation where Cedric has kicked up (late in the day), saints have been willing to sell (consistent with Ralph’s comments earlier in the summer about not wanting to keep players against their will), but only if able to replace (Malcuit) and when replacement couldn’t be secured he has been summoned back?

I'm away at the moment but sent a text to a mate yesterday about Cedric in case there was anything on the rumour mill. The response I got today was "Couple of Italian clubs I think but he wants too much €€". Perhaps Napoli were one of those, but that's just me guessing.

I'm pretty sure our failure to shift him and FF, maybe others too, have cost us our striker, who that striker is I've no idea.

I'm away at the moment but sent a text to a mate yesterday about Cedric in case there was anything on the rumour mill. The response I got today was "Couple of Italian clubs I think but he wants too much €€". Perhaps Napoli were one of those, but that's just me guessing.

I'm pretty sure our failure to shift him and FF, maybe others too, have cost us our striker, who that striker is I've no idea.

Can’t agree, as if we’d have sold Cedric, we’d still need to buy a RB which would probably cost a similar amount to what we’d bring in, squad spades and wages are the bigger problem, and not being able to get any money for Carrillo Boufal Clasie and Forster...

Let’s hope he ****s off pronto. Spends most of his time crossing to nowhere, meaning he’s always chasing back. Has anyone ever scored from one of his crosses?

Redmond at Everton last season. Maybe someone at Villa the season before. That's all I can think of.

Redmond at Everton last season. Maybe someone at Villa the season before. That's all I can think of.

according to the PL o/s Cedric got 3 assists in the league last season no idea if they came from crosses though (for comparison Bertrand was our top assister with 4)

Cedric's full league stats for playing in the PL with saints are 396 crosses and 8 assists (again no idea if all his assists came from crosses)

Here is stat page on the PL O/S make off it what you will

https://www.premierleague.com/players/11347/player/stats

Good to see him back, obviously he was late back from summer holidays as he was trying to grow facial hair which seems to be de rigeur at Staplewood these days. Only managed a 'tache so far but it given time.

Strangely no comment from Boris Johnson about full facial hair and footballers all looking like Wurzel Gummidge. I can help him there, take Austin for example he wears full facial just to spare his blushes because of the many goal scoring chances his fluffs...

I'll hand over to you chaps for commentary on our other bearded wonders.

Let’s hope he ****s off pronto. Spends most of his time crossing to nowhere, meaning he’s always chasing back. Has anyone ever scored from one of his crosses?

Ah! Obviously you don't go to many Saints matches or you don't pay much attention to what is happening on the pitch, otherwise you'd have seen his wonder goal at the end of last season almost worthy of Boufal's best.

Ah! Obviously you don't go to many Saints matches or you don't pay much attention to what is happening on the pitch, otherwise you'd have seen his wonder goal at the end of last season almost worthy of Boufal's best.

Against Wigan? He was pretty bl00dy shocking that day until the goal. And yes I was there, watching with my own eyes as he miscontrolled, gave the ball away, failed to get forward, constantly passed inside and backwards, regularly allowed the winger to cross or beat him.

I don't think he is a bad player, certainly don't think we are in a position to be offloading him, but there were a few occasions last season (admittedly, mostly under Pellegrino) where he was dreadful, in particular that Wigan game, where for me he was the worst player on the pitch despite his goal.

Against Wigan? He was pretty bl00dy shocking that day until the goal. And yes I was there, watching with my own eyes as he miscontrolled, gave the ball away, failed to get forward, constantly passed inside and backwards, regularly allowed the winger to cross or beat him.

I don't think he is a bad player, certainly don't think we are in a position to be offloading him, but there were a few occasions last season (admittedly, mostly under Pellegrino) where he was dreadful, in particular that Wigan game, where for me he was the worst player on the pitch despite his goal.

He wasnt...Carillo had that honour.....did bugger all.

I read somewhere on the net the other day (no idea where now though) that the season under MoPe Cedric made four errors leading to goal the season before under Puel he made no errors leading to a goal. Don't kniw how true that is but it would certainly underline how his form dropped off last season.

Full list of assists:

2015/16

Newcastle (away) - cross for Pelle header

Aston Villa (away) - cross for Mane header

2016/17

Leicester (home) - pull-back for Ward-Prowse goal from edge of the area

Crystal Palace (home) - low cross for Ward-Prowse tap-in

Chelsea (away) - cross for Bertrand header

2017/18

Arsenal (away) - cross for Long goal

Arsenal (away) - low cross for Austin goal

Everton (away) - cross for Redmond header

That's it. Plus the one goal at Wigan last season. 97 games played in all competitions, 1 goal, 8 assists.

Meanwhile, Bertrand on the other flank has 6 goals and 18 assists from 147 games.

Full list of assists:

2015/16

2016/17

2017/18

That's it. Plus the one goal at Wigan last season. 97 games played in all competitions, 1 goal, 8 assists.

Meanwhile, Bertrand on the other flank has 6 goals and 18 assists from 147 games.

add to that he is short and so if a ball is put up to the back stick we are in trouble. He gets into good positions to cross but he really does waste the opportunities with bad balls. If he went I would be not at all concerned.

add to that he is short and so if a ball is put up to the back stick we are in trouble. He gets into good positions to cross but he really does waste the opportunities with bad balls. If he went I would be not at all concerned.

I'd be concerned in the short-term because we don't have another senior right-back. Sticking Targett there on the strength of a good 45 minutes against a much-changed Celta Vigo side in a pre-season friendly seems something of a gamble to me - the phrase "square pegs in round holes" springs to mind.

Still a bit confused by the treatment of Jeremy Pied last season, really. Did pretty well on the handful of occasions he actually got a game, and yet we seemed to make it clear pretty quickly that we weren't going to offer him a new contract despite the fact there had been all kinds of stories linking Cedric with a move away for months.

Agree about Pied, thought he did well whenever he played last season and was probably unlucky to not displace Cedric. Can’t work out why we let him go, surely keeping him would have been risk free?

Agree about Pied, thought he did well whenever he played last season and was probably unlucky to not displace Cedric. Can’t work out why we let him go, surely keeping him would have been risk free?

Pied was much better than his recent treatment deserved, he always looked committed, capable and dangerous.

I liked Pied. I saw him play once, against Palace at home which may have been one of only two starts? He got a good assist for Long to end that crazy drought he was on, and kept Zaha silent for the whole game despite clearly being absolutely knackered due to lack of match fitness. So he got one assist in two starts (and it was for Long which surely is more like 1.5!), compared to Cedric's 3 assists in 32 games. And people genuinely don't think we could get a better right back than Cedric... :uhoh:

Having read through all the recent posts on here, and taking them as evidence of the truth, my conclusion is Cedric is unable to find another club because he had stomach ache (and he's too short). Other than that he'd be gone and is, therefore, automatically rubbish.

Full list of assists:

2015/16

2016/17

2017/18

That really is bloody awful, especially considering for the last 2 seasons he has been first choice RB. Cuco got a lot of stick, but he put in a lot of quality crosses. It was clear that he was much better at it than Cedric, and from the above stats that Cedric hasn't improved over the last 2 years.

That really is bloody awful, especially considering for the last 2 seasons he has been first choice RB. Cuco got a lot of stick, but he put in a lot of quality crosses. It was clear that he was much better at it than Cedric, and from the above stats that Cedric hasn't improved over the last 2 years.

Martina's record wasn't great either, tbf. One (ridiculous :lol: ) goal and three assists in 36 games in all competitions.