Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Cannot agree with your assessment - I thought had an excellent season, combining courage and solid defence with adventurous runs and decent crossing. With Cedric and Pied I think we're sorted at RB.

Yep with you on this one.

Why would we want to sell an International Full Back who seems happy here and has potential to get even better?

He is excellent on the overlap, a tactic which seems to suit the new bosses game plan.

He does a good job, glad to have him here, he's much better than when he first arrived. He's not at Clyne levels in his final season here - but let's face it, neither is Clyne any more. Hard to see who we could get to replace Cedric at a "reasonable" price.

Strange some don't rate him when Europe's top clubs do. He won the Euros with Portugal, helped get us 6th, had a half decent season last year, he's a good age, quick, improving still. Every club will know exactly who he is, plus, are there that many top right backs around? City are after Dani Alves, who while still good, is 34. Some teams don't even play with right backs. Hope he stays anyway, we're strong in that position and should keep it that way. Plus, how do you convince VVD to stay while selling other assets?

All I'm saying is that while he's a good player, he's not good enough for Barcelona, so I'm taking that rumour with a pinch of salt. He's a decent defender whose pace elevates him by helping him get out of trouble, but I completely stand by my comment about his final ball. His crossing is absolutely rubbish, and is probably actually better when he cuts back onto his weaker foot, which is says a lot about his general delivery.

Cannot agree with your assessment - I thought had an excellent season, combining courage and solid defence with adventurous runs and decent crossing. With Cedric and Pied I think we're sorted at RB.

Agree with most of this - has made significant strides, especially defensively. But for the positions he gets into, his crossing still leaves a lot to be desired.

Some snippets from The Guardian match feed tonight:

"...the overlapping Cedric. The Southampton man delivers a brilliant cross to the back post,"

and

"39 min: Cedric has kept Sanchez extremely quiet. The Southampton man was linked with a move to Barcelona in this morning’s Rumour Mill …

Football transfer rumours: Barcelona eyeing Southampton’s Cédric Soares?

Read more"

Well I agree on that front, there's nobody good enough and/or available for the money/willing to come to Saints in the Premier League. I briefly thought Martina might step up, he had a few good games earlier in the season but he seems awfully one dimensional. And I haven't seen anything like enough of Pied to comment.

My knowledge of European football is poor but if we sold Cedric for the high figure of 25 million let's say, I would back us to find a promising replacement for 10 somewhere in Europe ... you know the drill. For years now we've played with attacking full backs and I just haven't been impressed by Cedric (although I admit he's definitely got better). He seems to divide opinion though. Anyway this seems largely hypothetical as I don't think he's going to be leaving. Unlike our other full back...

Cedric still has a lot of room for improvement defensively, but overall I think we'd struggle to do better than him right now. He's good going forward and keeps the ball pretty well, adds a lot going forward even if his crossing isn't his best asset. Gotta keep him if we want to improve.

• 4 weeks later...

Cedric is one of our greatest assets, good player, highly intelligent and oozes loyalty. He is everything a role model should be and let's look forward to watching one of the finest right backs in world football. If your kids want a name on their shirts Cedric it must be. Well said that man, great interview and welcome home!

Cedric is one of our greatest assets, good player, highly intelligent and oozes loyalty. He is everything a role model should be and let's look forward to watching one of the finest right backs in world football. If your kids want a name on their shirts Cedric it must be. Well said that man, great interview and welcome home!

If that post isn't tempting fate, I don't know what is. Practically begging to backfire on us.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be funny if we allowed him to move and not V ****. Wouldn't want him to go, but would love a statement along the lines of: "Southampton football club wish to place on record their thanks to Cedric for the professional way he's behaved during the transfer window. Because of this we have reluctantly agreed to this move"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/15/chelsea-target-cedricsoares-aim-make-three-signings-month/

Some comedy here.

If £15m is all that Chelsea would offer then it won't get very far. He signed a new deal last summer so I think has three years left.

I think in todays market he would be a £25-£30m player and likely will go next summer with two yesrs left on his contract.

But this summer? Little chance.

And this summer for £15m? LOL