Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Whilst Cedric is far from perfect, you would have thought that our performances and defensive record this season when he has played versus when he hasn't would make some on here a bit more appreciative of his efforts.

Also worth remembering that in his first couple of seasons at Saints he was a regular in a pretty strong Saints defence, probably one of the strongest defences I can remember as a Saints fan. So not quite as bad as some like to make out.

I don't really get what we are achieving here by loaning in an untested young RB and loaning out Cedric for a minimal fee. Would rather we kept Cedric on til end of season, and most likely increased our chances of a higher league place.

Bit of a joke that OS is making out this is strengthening our full back positions when it actually seems the opposite! Classic Saints transfer window approach though I guess.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Mind blowing. Especially for such a small fee.

Just shows the mentality of the club. I didn’t expect much this window, but i certainly didn’t expect to make our squad weaker :mcinnes::lol:

laughable from the club if this happens

what is the actual point?

all we are doing is further cost savings. Joke

This is how Gaonomics work.

For the suggested £5m I'd have kept him until the end of the season with the £2m per place up for grabs. Instead we go into the next 14 games (plus cup ties perhaps) without an experienced or regular RB, and little cover at LB.

But lets pin our hopes on a bloke who has made about 20 appearances for Spurs in the league and is deemed their 4th choice RB.

It’s a good thing that playing a lot for his country means he’s been good for us, thank god for that! If you think he’s been good in the last 4 seasons then i think we need to send help. I’m grateful for his service, but he’s been nothing more than mediocre at best.

Cedric has been much better than mediocre over a long period of time for us. Even this season, a game hasn't been won without him playing and it has been no coincidence the upturn in form recently has been with Bertrand and Soares on the park.

Cedric has been much better than mediocre over a long period of time for us. Even this season, a game hasn't been won without him playing and it has been no coincidence the upturn in form recently has been with Bertrand and Soares on the park.

As I said elsewhere, do you think Ralph is really sold on Cedric? However well he's played, Cedric's featured out of necessity rather than choice. With Valery returning, I wouldn't be surprised that if given the chance to bring in some fresh blood or stick with Cedric, he decided to twist.

As I said elsewhere, do you think Ralph is really sold on Cedric? However well he's played, Cedric's featured out of necessity rather than choice. With Valery returning, I wouldn't be surprised that if given the chance to bring in some fresh blood or stick with Cedric, he decided to twist.

He's definitely played out of necessity, but he's played well and if Ralph fancies KWP over him for the rest of the season, he must have massive faith in the lad. It's an odd one for me.

He's definitely played out of necessity, but he's played well and if Ralph fancies KWP over him for the rest of the season, he must have massive faith in the lad. It's an odd one for me.

more so as Ralph has repeatedly said we need more fullbacks.

We will have not improved the squad what so ever, if Cedric leaves

more so as Ralph has repeatedly said we need more fullbacks.

We will have not improved the squad what so ever, if Cedric leaves

Given that Ralph tendered his resignation after the LCFC home game, and was rejected by the board, I hardly think that they are going to screw him over in this instance. If Cedric is to go, then I suspect that RH is OK with it.

Except the other week when he said Valery earlier return meant that maybe we didn't.

Well let's hope during his recuperation he's been watching some basic how to defend videos. I like him, like him going forward, but defending, not convinced. But he's young so can learn, needs time. I just think, especially with his recent form, it makes no sense to lose Cedric now. Also think he's better than many on here, we'll see I guess, if he goes, how we cope.

Cedric has said he will not renew his contract. We know it ends this season. Why is anyone surprised he is leaving. The surprise that we are getting some money for him and the good news is we have brougtht in cover. What's not to like? Why the fuss on this forum?

Cedric has said he will not renew his contract. We know it ends this season. Why is anyone surprised he is leaving. The surprise that we are getting some money for him and the good news is we have brougtht in cover. What's not to like? Why the fuss on this forum?

Exactly this. And you know that the usual culprits will be swooning over him if we win the next game he plays in, to then turn on him when he makes his first error. #fickle :lol:

Well let's hope during his recuperation he's been watching some basic how to defend videos. I like him, like him going forward, but defending, not convinced. But he's young so can learn, needs time. I just think, especially with his recent form, it makes no sense to lose Cedric now. Also think he's better than many on here, we'll see I guess, if he goes, how we cope.

Eh? My view is the opposite. Excellent defender, good pace and recovery speed, rarely gets beaten on the ground but going forward he offers very little. Has a decent motor, so will make the right runs but his crossing and final ball are woeful.

Eh? My view is the opposite. Excellent defender, good pace and recovery speed, rarely gets beaten on the ground but going forward he offers very little. Has a decent motor, so will make the right runs but his crossing and final ball are woeful.

I think he’s talking about Valery, and I presume you are talking about Cédric?

Eh? My view is the opposite. Going forward he offers very little. Has a decent motor, so will make the right runs but his crossing and final ball are woeful.

Simply wrong. You didn't see his goals and assists, then?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OK I'll bite.

He is not a great player but more than adequate and funnily enough we have improved this season with his reintroduction.

I know 5m is better than nothing but ultimately it's just a couple of places in prize money and I reckon with him in the side we might have got a couple more points. Now we are left with Danso who looks ill at ease in that position, Valery who no one knows what is going on, and this lad from Spurs who we don't rate highly enough to have any options inserted into the deal. It's hardly surprising there is a lack of forum cartwheels being performed.

Given that Ralph tendered his resignation after the LCFC home game, and was rejected by the board, I hardly think that they are going to screw him over in this instance. If Cedric is to go, then I suspect that RH is OK with it.

Can't believe this hasn't been commented on. Is this common knowledge that I have missed?

I do feel for Ralph, as I think he has been done over in this transfer window (again) if we don't bring in anyone else. Whilst I don't rate Cedric and never have done, he is an experienced international player and you would say that our squad is weaker in bringing in KWP.

Ralph said we were exposed in the full back positions and wanted to get more bodies in and that hasn't happened. While he looks quite content, he must be getting annoyed with the poor transfer dealings and lack of investment.

I do think KWP will be a good signing and fits our style, but if he gets injured this leaves us with Valery who is defensively inept.

I do feel for Ralph, as I think he has been done over in this transfer window (again) if we don't bring in anyone else. Whilst I don't rate Cedric and never have done, he is an experienced international player and you would say that our squad is weaker in bringing in KWP.

Ralph said we were exposed in the full back positions and wanted to get more bodies in and that hasn't happened. While he looks quite content, he must be getting annoyed with the poor transfer dealings and lack of investment.

I do think KWP will be a good signing and fits our style, but if he gets injured this leaves us with Valery who is defensively inept.

I think the fact that Soares is injured is completely going over people's heads.

Can't believe this hasn't been commented on. Is this common knowledge that I have missed?
I have never heard this. In fact Ralph's comment after the Leicester game was that he had to take a hard look at himself and get back to his principles. Which he did.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cheers. So basically coincides with the winter break.

Yes but we are also getting money for a player that said he won't renew his contract and has only 5 months left whilst also getting some cover in for him. What's not to like? He's not even a good player.

Yes but we are also getting money for a player that said he won't renew his contract and has only 5 months left whilst also getting some cover in for him. What's not to like? He's not even a good player.

You don't think we are paying a loan fee for KWP and his wages?

OK I'll bite.

He is not a great player but more than adequate and funnily enough we have improved this season with his reintroduction.

I know 5m is better than nothing but ultimately it's just a couple of places in prize money and I reckon with him in the side we might have got a couple more points. Now we are left with Danso who looks ill at ease in that position, Valery who no one knows what is going on, and this lad from Spurs who we don't rate highly enough to have any options inserted into the deal. It's hardly surprising there is a lack of forum cartwheels being performed.

Or maybe spurs wouldn’t agree to an option? Or maybe the only option they would agree to was £30m and saints rejected that? Or maybe in return for agreeing to an option, Spurs wanted a much higher loan fee which saints did not feel was value? We don’t know either way and I think it’s disingenuous to claim the reason there is no option in the KWP loan is definitively because we don’t rate him highly enough?

How many games would Cedric play if he was here for the rest of the season? He is injured for the next 2 and maybe Burnley. We know he is leaving at the end of the season so wouldn't we expect Ralph to experiment and try some alternatives at right back berween now and the season end ? eg give Valery a run in the side.

Cedric has never really been on the Ralph express. His crossing is poor and his crazy 89th minute runs into the opposition's half when we are hanging onto a lead , really do my head in. To get some money for someone who is going to leave for nothing at the end of the season is good news.

How many games would Cedric play if he was here for the rest of the season? He is injured for the next 2 and maybe Burnley. We know he is leaving at the end of the season so wouldn't we expect Ralph to experiment and try some alternatives at right back berween now and the season end ? eg give Valery a run in the side.

Cedric has never really been on the Ralph express. His crossing is poor and his crazy 89th minute runs into the opposition's half when we are hanging onto a lead , really do my head in. To get some money for someone who is going to leave for nothing at the end of the season is good news.

Cedric is out until the 15 feb.

Which is the game after Liverpool away.

See if Valery has improved while being out with a 'virus' and not been playing? I'll give you one thing, you are definitely a glass half-full man!

Or maybe spurs wouldn’t agree to an option? Or maybe the only option they would agree to was £30m and saints rejected that? Or maybe in return for agreeing to an option, Spurs wanted a much higher loan fee which saints did not feel was value? We don’t know either way and I think it’s disingenuous to claim the reason there is no option in the KWP loan is definitively because we don’t rate him highly enough?

But then why didn't we just hold on to Soares, hope he helps us climb the table (negating the 5m we lost) and then sign someone in the summer who we are more confident in? Loan players are usually stop gaps who can slot straight into the team.

Inter must be kicking themselves having him on loan hardly playing him and now he has gone to Arsenal. Who of their staff missed his crossing ability and his brilliance is baffling. It says in the rulebook that having a midget at the back post is must when defending Lol

a good servant of the club who has done well for us without ever being outstanding, he has always done a job never moaned and I don't think he has let us down all to often. I can totally see the logic in the club cashing in at this point we are almost safe we have got a young prospect in the position and have got cover in on loan so we are getting money for a player who would have walked for free in a few months. I wish him well for the rest of his career where ever it takes him and would happily buy him a pint, he's not a club legend but then not all players can be!

But then why didn't we just hold on to Soares, hope he helps us climb the table (negating the 5m we lost) and then sign someone in the summer who we are more confident in? Loan players are usually stop gaps who can slot straight into the team.

Agreed - especially given that the loan fee for Soares quoted by the Standard / Telegraph is less than a £1m. We have probably spent that on the WP loan fee. I'd rather have kept Cedric for that amount

See if Valery has improved while being out with a 'virus' and not been playing? I'll give you one thing, you are definitely a glass half-full man!

Yeah. I mean 20 year old footballers never improve do they? He's as good now as he will ever be. Lets put him in the same dustbin as Saintsweb have in the past put JWP, Stephens, Ings, Tadic, Pelle etc etc

Strange how people will believe a newspaper that has frequently got stuff wrong with us before because it fits their agenda, isn't it?

It is especially when there are other contradictory stories out there that disagree.

Lets face it we will never know the number for either the KWP loan or the Soares one but I think it is safe to say we won't be out of pocket otherwise it would make no sense at all!

It is especially when there are other contradictory stories out there that disagree.

Lets face it we will never know the number for either the KWP loan or the Soares one but I think it is safe to say we won't be out of pocket otherwise it would make no sense at all!

Oh definitely, unless every club was obliged to detail every aspect of a deal (which I think there's an argument for), you're never likely to hear the full picture.

David Ornstein of The Athletic, and formerly of the BBC, who seems to somehow have access to every single high-level conversation at Arsenal has said it's a £5m total package including salary - with his record and the level of detail in a lot of his reports on Arsenal, that's the angle I'm inclined to believe. If Arsenal were paying less, it would be in their interests to get that out into the media through the most reliable journalists.

Yeah. I mean 20 year old footballers never improve do they? He's as good now as he will ever be. Lets put him in the same dustbin as Saintsweb have in the past put JWP, Stephens, Ings, Tadic, Pelle etc etc

Calm down and read the reply properly. No one is saying he won’t improve but he’s unlikely to have improved in the time he has been out of the team with a virus, not playing or even training which is what you suggested.