Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

My 12 year old sun is a passionate Arsenal supporter.

Last week when I told him that Cédric was going to go to the Gunners he fell about the floor laughing his head off.

Today when I come home from work, he tells me “ dad guess what? We got Cédric from you guys”

I fell about the floor laughing my head off :lol:

Serious though. He wasn’t perfect by any means but was a decent player for Saints and mostly did alright so I wish him well, although I think it’s a strange signing for Arsenal, in all reality though probably just a replacement for Callum Chambers so adequate enough.

Decent deal for saints for a player who was leaving regardless.

He’s a very steady average unspectacular right back which is I guess what arsenal want for cover for bellerin freeing maitland niles to play where he wants.

Cedric gets to audition for a permanent move rather than sit on our bench.

We get give game time to Valery or audition a young player we might bid for in the summer

Think it’s a shame he’s gone now rather than the summer. Of course it’s not solely down to him that we had the recent upturn, but he’s been a part of it and a settled, and dare I say almost assured, back 4 is a rare luxury for us. Perhaps KWP only agreed to come if he had assurances he’d be first choice (or Spurs insisted) then I guess no point holding on to Cedric.

Also a shame as won’t get a chance to give him a clap at SMS to say thanks. Personally think he’s been a good servant, a decent right back who like most of our players gets Too much stick, but been professional, not moaned (at least don’t think so) and I wish him well.

He might be fit by the time we play them on 22nd March.

Proof (if you ever need it) that most fans have no idea about players they sign.

I'm not sure who this guy on the Arsenal forum is describing becuase it doesn't match with any description of the Cedric I know...

"Don't think you can call Cedric a mediocre he played 4 half years at Southampton he always been starter there Southampton fans always impressed by his defensive abilities and he also good crosser for a backup that what you need"

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Proof (if you ever need it) that most fans have no idea about players they sign.

I'm not sure who this guy on the Arsenal forum is describing becuase it doesn't match with any description of the Cedric I know...

"Don't think you can call Cedric a mediocre he played 4 half years at Southampton he always been starter there Southampton fans always impressed by his defensive abilities and he also good crosser for a backup that what you need"

Boy is he in for a surprise.

The complete opposite of what Cedric is. He's described Bertrand there not Cedric!

Its a good move for Cedric, it's another sideways defensive move for Arsenal.

He's been solid if unspectacular for us, it's been clear for ages he was going to leave on a free in the Summer.

If he wanted to move early and is liable to a "Sulk" if he doesn't get his way, then for the sake of 3 and half months and squad harmony it's probably the right decision.

All the best Cedric, I wish him well but certainly wont reminisce about his time here.

Solid if unspectacular is a massive step up from our slapstick defensive performances up to that 0-9. Also why would he sulk if he's here for a few more months? He knows he'll be off in the summer. He's crap as a LB, but he's been performing well recently in his correct position, and certainly been a part of our amazing up turn.

This is a penny wise - pound foolish move by the club. Again.

I'm absolutely amazed at some of the comments about Cedric on the Arsenal forum. They genuinely think they have a quality player.

Well if any of you are reading this then this is what you have...

A half decent RB that will be caught high up the pitch out of position a lot, one that is weak defensively and one that has the crossing ability of Bebe. Honestly though, he's decent at getting forward and pegging defenders back, he's also good at overlapping to create space but honestly, I don't think i've ever seen a fullback as **** at crossing a ball as Soares is. In the end I just laugh every time he *****s it up because it's just so Cedric. :lol:

You also have a fullback that is more interested in social media than football and had to be told several times to get off his phone by the manager. If things don't go his way he will sulk and play like a stroppy bellend as well.

I guess they will see soon enough but I haven't seen too many Saints fans gutted to see him go.

Thanks for the service Cedric but i'd have quite honestly driven him up there myself.

It would be nice to have a bit more cover at full back, but as usual his below average and at times shockingly bad play of the last 3 seasons have quickly been forgotten and now that he's off to Arsenal amazing and the club are ****.

Have you ever seen him play in person? From your consistently ridiculous assessments of Cedric, one assumes not.

Something that's largely been missed in the commentary. Cedric has served the Club well over time - and he leaves on a high note with polished, spirited performances in the last 8 weeks.

Agree. He always seemed like a decent lad and always gave of his best. We should feel proud of what he has achieved as an international player as a Saint. Never understood the dog's abuse that he got on here when often he was our best player.

He will do well there and we will have some idiots moaning about how stupid the club are letting him go

He's been a good player for us on the whole but had his ups and downs much like the rest of the squads of the last few years

I don't expect he'll play much unless bellerin gets injured.

I don't think he'll set the world alight when he does but nor will he be bad.