Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

"This is our way, this is our philosophy", Hasenhuttl said about swapping the Portuguese full-back for Kyle Walker-Peters. "For the club and for him it is for the best."

What came across is that there seems little doubt that we are developing KWP for the future at Saints. Sounds to me like we have already agreed a deal, but for some reason don't want to make it permanent until the Summer.

What came across is that there seems little doubt that we are developing KWP for the future at Saints. Sounds to me like we have already agreed a deal, but for some reason don't want to make it permanent until the Summer.

‘No money’ might be a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be something to do with not wanting him as an asset on our books just yet.

What one concludes from these shenanigans is that Ralph has more than an eye on next season. He seems to be gambling that we are safe from relegation now, needing three wins on paper but possibly only two in reality so might as well start preparing for next season while taking what we can from the remaining games of this. The club would never have considered the release of Cedric if we were still in a scrap at the bottom.

Of course the bottom line is that it is a hell of a gamble to take especially if our form collapses after the break and Ralph panics and starts chopping and changing players again to try and halt a slide. Bad defeats at Anfield & White Hart Lane could trigger a tsunami!

What one concludes from these shenanigans is that Ralph has more than an eye on next season. He seems to be gambling that we are safe from relegation now, needing three wins on paper but possibly only two in reality so might as well start preparing for next season while taking what we can from the remaining games of this. The club would never have considered the release of Cedric if we were still in a scrap at the bottom.

Of course the bottom line is that it is a hell of a gamble to take especially if our form collapses after the break and Ralph panics and starts chopping and changing players again to try and halt a slide. Bad defeats at Anfield & White Hart Lane could trigger a tsunami!

If we ignore the possibility that Ralph had no say in Cedric leaving, then it is a very good point that if he was planning on leaving in the summer he would want to keep the best players here now to do the best he can in his remaining time at the club.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Except that's exactly what they did this time last year.

Bit of a shame we won't get to say goodbye. He's hardly a cult hero but he's served the club well for a long time.

Something that's largely been missed in the commentary. Cedric has served the Club well over time - and he leaves on a high note with polished, spirited performances in the last 8 weeks.

£15m is hilariously high?

I think he's an excellent player, he came on leaps and bounds last year and is now a regular Portugal international. Lucky to have him.

I agree with you. Just when our team is doing so well with a settled back four, we shoot ourselves in the foot. We could at least have kept him until the end of the season to give ourselves a chance of competing for a cup final and a Europa League place. Without him, unless Walker-Peters hits the ground running, we're likely to start shipping goals again.

Our last 10 league games with Cedric: won 7 Drew 1 lost 2. Goals against 10

Our last 10 league games without Cedric: won 1 drew 1 lost 8. Goals against 28

Basically it would seem we'd rather have KWP at RB than Cedric. Alright, fair enough. I've not seen much of the former but there must be some reason if we've gone to this much effort.

Valery is apparently fit again. KWP can also cover LB and Vokins looked decent in the Cup. Okay it was only Huddersfield but he hardly looked like a downgrade on Targett. I don't see where the problem is at full back.

Basically it would seem we'd rather have KWP at RB than Cedric. Alright, fair enough. I've not seen much of the former but there must be some reason if we've gone to this much effort.

Valery is apparently fit again. KWP can also cover LB and Vokins looked decent in the Cup. Okay it was only Huddersfield but he hardly looked like a downgrade on Targett. I don't see where the problem is at full back.

its Ralph who kept saying we need to add fullbacks and that Vokins is not ready for the premier league.

Club get's criticised for letting Cedric go. Club would have got criticised if they had kept him and he left on a free.

No pleasing some.

Not true at all. The owners' priority may be getting money but the fans' priority is success on the pitch. I'd say we were all very happy with the way the team including Cedric, has been playing lately and were looking forward to things continuing the same. If there was going to be a big change in our back four, the summer would have been a better time to do it than mid-season.

I agree with you. Just when our team is doing so well with a settled back four, we shoot ourselves in the foot. We could at least have kept him until the end of the season to give ourselves a chance of competing for a cup final and a Europa League place. Without him, unless Walker-Peters hits the ground running, we're likely to start shipping goals again.

While those stats look pretty convincing, I'm pretty sure that Cedric was not the only factor in our upturn in form. We started playing 442 (or whatever you want to call it) with players playing in their favoured positions and a big upturn in form all over the pitch. If Valery had been fit, he could well have played just as much of a part. I'm glad Cedric's form picked up with everyone else's, but we will be OK without him.

At least you don't have to suffer his "f-ing shyte" performances any more.... ;)

WvOUnPqunl9Eh6aLc3AS6SMeJcnUe0TOioQC9MLG4ExQWZstUkdMIjIwae6yIy6Zi7YnlKnqUg11DzmhusaTc61b9xLgx3rziW-NZDpLMBiTpzk1n8gfYZSEs0dJosita2ZEVZCHWraWtfU_2q9eSDx-7OPfKH15LCgCumGCuGGa1os-IzWjMAU1zqnhiJf-hAY6g_IgjfozpExT3pLrr4nT8gBI5tD4JwRaAHCgz1JOHkVosNpMgbw_gwETAm-ut3_PvZcY5JYb7ZewKLHcLUBdvylbOnud-Phv-sQ1Kz9ZMByR3QLR_wN1phWFQgEJqh5ySYM7m-q1U2ZnmOfCoLnVqQQ1RTcnSvI21hS_IEU3DSNhCl-emdfNiw8xpL4AHq0GbFpP_SZukpP_sgap5sx5M8D6nxwrsvDWV9i0Wf90ZdR_mIZqsRDDStUEO_fiJqNomuYQwdiizHaxypfBcoZ2sbRnObomexhQC9Zv-xyrp34-jdRiEDCTquF4FfwkFct0rLv5txoj0N8d1GTx08maBT6KvRk5uWWv-BVqdyESPa2vaN_ohPfbGA7V2be1SGsxkEwVrbrHPzI0-uyTtKfPU06vvLbqswxdcGQXQsjgGXwyRqP_tNlQ1nN-jOBkX3rpMpxAH5yXeR2f2GuBDGisKzX_ZnIbUi3d7SFb0C2SYC7QnVunqzo=w1842-h330-no

Whoever thought his performances were "f-ing shyte" is a f-ing idiot.

While those stats look pretty convincing, I'm pretty sure that Cedric was not the only factor in our upturn in form. We started playing 442 (or whatever you want to call it) with players playing in their favoured positions and a big upturn in form all over the pitch. If Valery had been fit, he could well have played just as much of a part. I'm glad Cedric's form picked up with everyone else's, but we will be OK without him.

The difference is we've lost most of the games Valery's played in. Football is a team game and our team gets much better results with Cedric at right back than it does without him.

Still unsure of the point in getting rid of a RB who was gone in 6 months, to bring in a RB who (as it stands) is gone in 6 months.

Still not sure how for we're going to end up weaker in the full back positions when for weeks Ralph said we need to strengthen them

Its a good move for Cedric, it's another sideways defensive move for Arsenal.

He's been solid if unspectacular for us, it's been clear for ages he was going to leave on a free in the Summer.

If he wanted to move early and is liable to a "Sulk" if he doesn't get his way, then for the sake of 3 and half months and squad harmony it's probably the right decision.

All the best Cedric, I wish him well but certainly wont reminisce about his time here.

Not only was he f-ing shyte but he was pleased that Cedric wasn't going to stay.... yet a few weeks later he is moaning that he is going.

Its a strange old world in Gotham City.

Edited by Tamesaint

Still unsure of the point in getting rid of a RB who was gone in 6 months, to bring in a RB who (as it stands) is gone in 6 months.

Because we made money out of it and there is more chance of KWP being here longer term than Cedric who had no intention of staying and signing a new contract and has wanted out for he last year plus.

Because we made money out of it and there is more chance of KWP being here longer term than Cedric who had no intention of staying and signing a new contract and has wanted out for he last year plus.

The money we ‘made out of it’ is likely to be less than one league position prize money. As for KWP staying that’s completely subjective. If he doesn’t turn out to be the player we hope he is then we won’t want him. If he plays well he’ll be in the shop window and open to interest from any number of clubs.

Attitude....

Cedric - Wants away....how much effort is he going to be putting in for a team he no longer wants to be a part of.

KWP - Wants to either impress us and get a perm deal, or impress Spurs to take him back, or impress other clubs to get a perm move somewhere.

Attitude....

Cedric - Wants away....how much effort is he going to be putting in for a team he no longer wants to be a part of.

KWP - Wants to either impress us and get a perm deal, or impress Spurs to take him back, or impress other clubs to get a perm move somewhere.

The same Cedric that’s been one of our best performers in recent weeks when it was already the case that he would not be here next season? The same Cedric who would also want to finish the season with a flourish to get himself in the shop window a la KWP

Edited by Greenridge

Attitude....

Doesn't seem to have affected his attitude negatively for the last few months. He would still have been trying t o impress up to June if someone hadn't come in for him now, perhaps even more so. I don't think attitude is a factor at all. I think there is more to the KWP situation than currently bein said, reckon we have a deal for him in the Summer already sorted based on Ralph's comments in the Presser.

Ralph made it clear from the start that he only wants players who want to be here. Cedric wanted out so fair play. It will take a while for Valery to get back up to speed so let’s hope that KWP hits the ground running. If not there is always the other WP who can slot in at right back. Not an ideal situation. Lots to be done in the summer.

The same Cedric that’s been one of our best performers in recent weeks when it was already the case that he would not be here next season? The same Cedric who would also want to finish the season with a flourish to get himself in the shop window a la KWP
The same Cedric that's "f-ing shyte"...?

The same Cedric that's "f-ing shyte"...?

If you say he is that’s grand. At least you expressed an opinion rather than 40k’s worth of ‘textbook’ ‘tick’ ‘pot kettle’ and other mind blowing contributions. Like all (most at least) he’ll have good spells and ‘shyte’ spells.

I’m pretty ambivalent towards Cedric but most of the arguments supporting this transaction are about as concrete as a bowl of jelly. He’s gone. We move on.

Does seem odd. Both financially and for football reasons we don't really benefit from this move.

As a club we seem insistent on making things more difficult

If you say he is that’s grand. At least you expressed an opinion rather than 40k’s worth of ‘textbook’ ‘tick’ ‘pot kettle’ and other mind blowing contributions. Like all (most at least) he’ll have good spells and ‘shyte’ spells.

I’m pretty ambivalent towards Cedric but most of the arguments supporting this transaction are about as concrete as a bowl of jelly. He’s gone. We move on.

Tick

;)

That's me. Im delighted he's gone, although he did leave with a bit of class unlike a lot of others in the past.

Ive had a couple of Arsenal fans bragging that they've taken him from us, and it fell flat when I replied 'Please let it be so.'

I guess the only thing you can say is that it gives us an opportunity to get a first hand look at Cedric's possible long term replacement. Getting a good look an a 6 month trial is pretty handy and gives us a chance to change our mind and not make a mistake - which we wouldn't be able to do come the summer. If we had retained Cedric, that would have been better from a squad strength position, but maybe the funds were not there. Getting a return on Cedric is no bad. That money will go into the pot to help us strengthen come the summer. It's done now. Lets take a look at KWP. If he doesn't cut the mustard, this `try before we buy' move will end up saving us a shed more money.

I guess the only thing you can say is that it gives us an opportunity to get a first hand look at Cedric's possible long term replacement. Getting a good look an a 6 month trial is pretty handy and gives us a chance to change our mind and not make a mistake - which we wouldn't be able to do come the summer. If we had retained Cedric, that would have been better from a squad strength position, but maybe the funds were not there. Getting a return on Cedric is no bad. That money will go into the pot to help us strengthen come the summer. It's done now. Lets take a look at KWP. If he doesn't cut the mustard, this `try before we buy' move will end up saving us a shed more money.

Excuse my curiosity, but can I ask what thought process led you to conclude: "I know, I'll post something level-headed and pragmatic on the Saintsweb Forum"? :)

Think it’s a shame he’s gone now rather than the summer. Of course it’s not solely down to him that we had the recent upturn, but he’s been a part of it and a settled, and dare I say almost assured, back 4 is a rare luxury for us. Perhaps KWP only agreed to come if he had assurances he’d be first choice (or Spurs insisted) then I guess no point holding on to Cedric.

Also a shame as won’t get a chance to give him a clap at SMS to say thanks. Personally think he’s been a good servant, a decent right back who like most of our players gets Too much stick, but been professional, not moaned (at least don’t think so) and I wish him well.