Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Good financials for a player OOC in a few months. Also means proper chance to evaluate KWP, which makes it even more bizarre not to have a purchase option in his deal.

What's bizarre is having two fit full backs and selling one to replace him with someone largely untested.

What's bizarre is having two fit full backs and selling one to replace him with someone largely untested.

Mind blowing. Especially for such a small fee.

Just shows the mentality of the club. I didn’t expect much this window, but i certainly didn’t expect to make our squad weaker :mcinnes::lol:

That five million in the bank isn't going to look too clever if our previously settled defence starts shipping again and we get dragged back into a relegation fight.

I don't see the point in selling him now. It's peanuts when he's worth more to us as a player.

From memory, wasn't Cedric's contract leaked online when he first signed for us? Said we weren't allowed to sell him to Sporting's rivals or something. I'm pretty sure there was a decent sell on clause mentioned - so we're not even getting the whole tiny fee.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

That five million in the bank isn't going to look too clever if our previously settled defence starts shipping again and we get dragged back into a relegation fight.

I don't see the point in selling him now. It's peanuts when he's worth more to us as a player.

From memory, wasn't Cedric's contract leaked online when he first signed for us? Said we weren't allowed to sell him to Sporting's rivals or something. I'm pretty sure there was a decent sell on clause mentioned - so we're not even getting the whole tiny fee.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It’s a loan, with a £5m fee... so potentially pretty cleaver from the club in that respect (not sure if ‘sell on fee’ is applicable for a loan).

It’s a loan, with a £5m fee... so potentially pretty cleaver from the club in that respect (not sure if ‘sell on fee’ is applicable for a loan).

The £5M ‘fee’ includes us losing his wages from now till the end of the season. It isn’t a £5M loan fee Arsenal are paying.

We may not be paying all of kwp wages though and he's no doubt on lower wages anyway.

Possibly, we don’t know those details but this being the notoriously tough Levy we are talking about I wouldn’t rule out us picking up his full wages. They could easily be near Cedric’s level.

It seems the Club are trying to dress this up as ‘we’ve just got £5M’ for a player shortly out of contract when, in reality, that’s not actually the case.

Of course it isn't, as he won't be an Arsenal player if it is a loan. You can't sell a player you haven't signed permanently When the loan expires I the summer Cedric is free to leave.

great point, well made.

It’s true what time is the march you are organising in protest? All your posts are negative what are you doing? Withdraw your season ticket? Don’t go to games?

The club is skint it’s being run as a business the previous lot recruitment was a shambles that will take ages to fix Gao won’t put in a penny .

I’m with you where do we start marching from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where this £5m figure is coming from. Assuming Cedric is on £60k a week then we’d save about £1.5m in wages until end of June. Can’t imagine he’d be on much more than that. Fee of less than £1m reported in the Telegraph. All seems pretty paltry given we are back to square one in terms of fullback options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Cedric has asked for the move to happen? Until Arsenal were interested it doesn't seem like we had any intention of letting him go this window...

This. It's not too difficult to understand if you look at it from Cedric's POV. He put in 4 or 5 good years with us, was out of favour with Ralph in the past, can see the Gao set-up (i.e. little or no future investment) and understandably wants to move on. Once he has - in the correct gentlemanly way as he probably did - let the club know he does not intend to sign a new contract, then the decision is made for the club. Then it's a case of finding an outlet before the clock runs out...A loan deal with Arsenal (Spanish/Portuguse linkage with Arteta) and an option for a four year contract there is a step up for him (let's be honest) and a no brainer. For the club the decision is....keep him and try to get a player who wants out to run his heart out for us / not play injured / do an Ozil...or try to salvage something from the situation.

Agree that the £5M fee nonsense is an insult to our intelligence though. Greater transparency required. There should be a supporters representative around the boardroom table for just such occasions as this.

He’s been ****e let’s be honest, Ralph clearly doesn’t rate him particularly highly considering how often he’s been dropped or shifted to LB. Even Koeman dropped him for Cuco plenty of times. His crossing is the worst i’ve ever seen in a top level full back. He’s been good the last few games, let’s not let it cloud our judgement.

He’s been ****e let’s be honest, Ralph clearly doesn’t rate him particularly highly considering how often he’s been dropped or shifted to LB. Even Koeman dropped him for Cuco plenty of times. His crossing is the worst i’ve ever seen in a top level full back. He’s been good the last few games, let’s not let it cloud our judgement.

Quite amazing then that he’s played more than two hundred games across the top leagues of Portugal, England and Italy. Has represented Portugal at every age group and won the European Championship with them. Who’d have thought.

Quite amazing then that he’s played more than two hundred games across the top leagues of Portugal, England and Italy. Has represented Portugal at every age group and won the European Championship with them. Who’d have thought.

It’s a good thing that playing a lot for his country means he’s been good for us, thank god for that! If you think he’s been good in the last 4 seasons then i think we need to send help. I’m grateful for his service, but he’s been nothing more than mediocre at best.

It’s a good thing that playing a lot for his country means he’s been good for us, thank god for that! If you think he’s been good in the last 4 seasons then i think we need to send help. I’m grateful for his service, but he’s been nothing more than mediocre at best.

He’s obviously pulled the wool over a hell of a lot of managers and influential football people to get where he has today. He’s lucky he didn’t come across you to block his career path. He’s got to be thankful that this Arteta fella doesn’t know squat about football too.

Edited by Greenridge