Cedric Soares - Official: Loaned to Arsenal

Saint Garrett

Yes been a difficult league season this year, however quick mention to this chap.

Having a great season and has improved a huge amount this season. Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now. Improved a lot defensively, bulked up too which helps.

Hopefully we'll be able to keep hold of him in the summer, as he is certainly one who seems to be continually linked away (City/Barca)

He struggled with the physical side of the English game last season I remember one of his first games when Lukaku destroyed him.

He has adapted well now though good going forward, decent cross and will happily match any opposition player trying to get to the byline. I'm not sure there is much between him and Clyne now. Goes to show that sometimes you have to give a player a chance not every player can start like Gabbi

And you wonder why you get abuse?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

TBF, based on the last few seasons, it's likely we'll let him go if there is interest. Hopefully we can keep him for another year atleast with Virgil.

Nextr season the base of:

Forster/New

Cedric Virgil NEW Bertrand

Romeu Hojbjerg/NEW

JWP Tadic Redmond

Gabbiadini

Starts looking a really strong squad.

Can see a bit of surgery this summer with a few leaving, e.g. Long, JRod, Clasie, Martina, but should have a pretty strong squad next year if we can keep the main group together and buildwith a few.

Not really. I wonder more about the dellusion on here of our place in football.

We have never been more of a selling club than we are now.

We've always been a selling club. The main difference is the club has more players other clubs want to buy these days thanks to the clubs decent recruitment policy.

Imagine just how many of our recent players we would have sold in the last few years if Lowe was still in charge.

freedom of movement for players has changed the landscape since 1995, so its maybe its not quite fair to compare now with days gone by, but since the Bosman ruling I don't recall too many of our players resisting the lure of the dollar and staying put. Players have been sold to balance the books and because they wanted a move. That is how it will always be until we have a side full of **** that no one wants (which has been the case at times). Hopefully we can keep recruiting well and top notch youngsters keep coming through to prevent that happening.

Actually, I guess with the extra money in the Prem these days you could say that our place in the footballing pyramid has improved, but its all relative and unless you are at the top you will always be eaten by bigger fish.

Edited by Chez

Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now.

It has always been a huge distance between Martina and Cedric, its still laughable how some people here claimed Martina was better last season. Its like comparing Zlatan with Bendtner.

It has always been a huge distance between Martina and Cedric, its still laughable how some people here claimed Martina was better last season. Its like comparing Zlatan with Bendtner.

Find a quote where someone says that !?

I think that thread is hilarious. A lot of the loudest voices on here being shown to know very little about our players, their talent and their merits in various footballing systems.

Next time Shurlock or Batman try and shout you down about a player/tactics etc you'll know where to send them, thats for sure :lol: :p

I think that thread is hilarious. A lot of the loudest voices on here being shown to know very little about our players, their talent and their merits in various footballing systems.

To be fair you could definitely find quite some games from last season in which Martina played relatively well and some in which Cedric played very badly. I don't think many believed that Martina was a better player, but in my opinion it's very true that he played some better games.

I see in the Evening Standard tonight it says, Chelsea are after the Saints Holy Trinity of VVD, Bertrand and Cedric!!

So the Premier League champions are going to purchase the defence of a team that might not even finish in the top half? Never ceases to amaze me how shortsighted the big clubs can be in their recruitment. Just like when Liverpool attempted to mount a title assault with the spine of a team that had just finished 8th. Either we are massively underachieving given our players or Chelsea are massively shortsighted.

So the Premier League champions are going to purchase the defence of a team that might not even finish in the top half? Never ceases to amaze me how shortsighted the big clubs can be in their recruitment. Just like when Liverpool attempted to mount a title assault with the spine of a team that had just finished 8th. Either we are massively underachieving given our players or Chelsea are massively shortsighted.

That is a very strange way to look at it. Why does it mean we are massively underachieving? Saints in recent years had a number of players good enough for top 4-6 clubs, but not enough as a squad to make the top four. That doesn't mean our players couldn't play for them.

I can see why Bertrand would be an upgrade on Alonso, Cedric on Moses and van Dijk would improve them in central defence.

That is a very strange way to look at it. Why does it mean we are massively underachieving? Saints in recent years had a number of players good enough for top 4-6 clubs, but not enough as a squad to make the top four. That doesn't mean our players couldn't play for them.

I can see why Bertrand would be an upgrade on Alonso, Cedric on Moses and van Dijk would improve them in central defence.

If you were talking about Chelsea signing one of the three I'd agree with you but if you're telling me that (Yoshida aside) we've got a defence that's good enough to play for the Premier League champions then I'd argue we should probably have done a little better than we are doing.

That last sentence is true. We have become pretty good at it. It is not something that I like, but there are many things I do like that happen as a direct result of this. Right now We are not about to go tits up because we can't afford the level we are at. Unless someone can buy the whole shooting match, evade the ffp while slinging millions we have no other option. I can't stand Les but?.....

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Yes been a difficult league season this year, however quick mention to this chap.

Having a great season and has improved a huge amount this season. Wasn't much between him and Martina last season (in fact Martina was Koeman's preferred choice) however Cedric is a huge distance ahead of him now. Improved a lot defensively, bulked up too which helps.

Hopefully we'll be able to keep hold of him in the summer, as he is certainly one who seems to be continually linked away (City/Barca)

Yes been really impressed with him this season too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was very good tonight despite palace sticking Benteke on him most of the night.

Agree. Him and Tadic our most creative players.

Our style (get it wide, look for overlap and put a cross in) suits wing backs and IMO he has flourished this season. A shame for him (and Tadic) we've not had someone who knows where the back of the net is for half the season or more

If you were talking about Chelsea signing one of the three I'd agree with you but if you're telling me that (Yoshida aside) we've got a defence that's good enough to play for the Premier League champions then I'd argue we should probably have done a little better than we are doing.

I take your point, but good as they might be as defenders, I think the inability to convert chances is primarily what's put us where we are

• 2 months later...

I watched the Le Tiss 100 premier league goals the other night and it was immediately apparent how many shots were aimed beyond the keeper into the bottom corner or off the post and in. Our current squad could do with some shooting practice - just inside the post will do fine more times than not. (JWP needs to understand which side of the post constitutes a 'goal' as he is so close so often it's laughable).

I did enjoy how many of the shots were past Ian Walker - ha ha

I watched the Le Tiss 100 premier league goals the other night and it was immediately apparent how many shots were aimed beyond the keeper into the bottom corner or off the post and in. Our current squad could do with some shooting practice - just inside the post will do fine more times than not. (JWP needs to understand which side of the post constitutes a 'goal' as he is so close so often it's laughable).

I did enjoy how many of the shots were past Ian Walker - ha ha

Cedric Soares?

We had one of the best defensive records in the division last season DESPITE the CB partnership for the last 4 months. Stuck that lot behind Kante (as well as Romeu) and with a keeper that stops more than Forster and you'd win the Premier League if you could also score.

It's talking 35 -40 million Euros for Semedo who is being kept out of the national team by Cedric, are Juve likely to pay a similar price?

Cos I can't see us selling for much less than £30-35 million considering the market.

We are going to need a whole new defence at this rate.

I'd be very sorry to see Cedric go. Is Pied an adequate replacement for him as first choice RB? I'm not sure but he seemed OK the few times he played toward the end of the season.

This is shaping up to be a transfer window of inflationary valuations. Juventus have proven to be pretty good at fleecing PL teams (Pogba) so turnaround is fair play in my book.

There is nothing in this. A Portuguese sports daily (they make things up a lot) wrote that a few days ago and now it's just bouncing around the media echo chamber. Juventus are being linked with every right back under the sun so the Portuguese media figured they would jump in to fill the pages. Danilo and Darmian are the strong links.

I want us to sell Cedric, especially as the amounts of money being talked about are hilariously high. I know he's solid at the back but his crossing has been a regular source of frustration for me

£15m is hilariously high?

I think he's an excellent player, he came on leaps and bounds last year and is now a regular Portugal international. Lucky to have him.

I want us to sell Cedric, especially as the amounts of money being talked about are hilariously high. I know he's solid at the back but his crossing has been a regular source of frustration for me

Cannot agree with your assessment - I thought had an excellent season, combining courage and solid defence with adventurous runs and decent crossing. With Cedric and Pied I think we're sorted at RB.