Sam McQueen

9-3

Not good enough, seems a good lad but he's championship quality and with Targett now showing he's ready to really compete for a starting LB position in the premier league, I think we need to keep hold of him instead and start him if Bertrand goes.

Best of luck to McQueen if the rumours are true, I agree with posts above about sell on clause, don't think he will go for big money but could see him in 2 years if he does well getting a move to the premier league to a bottom 5/6 team and could make 500k-750k if we have a 15% sell on clause.

Firstly, I think he is a more than competent left back for a prem squad.

Secondly, I hope this means we are not selling Bertrand this summer? Or if we are, we are replacing him! We cannot go for a whole premier season with just Matty T in that position. If we are following the youth approach, I would like to see Target and McQueen in the side. What I don't want is for us to release a youth player and then sign another player of equal or marginally better quality to take his place.

A couple of years ago he was quite close to leaving for L1 or L2 so Bristol City would be a good move for him.

He is a good player, but not a PL quality player IMO (which is absolutely no disgrace).

Probably, like Targett, he lacks that yard of pace that you need at PL level.

I really rate McQueen. He looks a more talented player than Ward-Prowse or Targett, as he has strength, pace and that very rare quality in our current squad, he is a good finisher. I think he will turn into a very good attacking midfielder. We will regret selling him.

I really rate McQueen. He looks a more talented player than Ward-Prowse or Targett, as he has strength, pace and that very rare quality in our current squad, he is a good finisher. I think he will turn into a very good attacking midfielder. We will regret selling him.

Wasn't he playing in a more advanced role in his former years? I prefer him over Targett, especially if we play 3/5 at the back.

Wasn't he playing in a more advanced role in his former years? I prefer him over Targett, especially if we play 3/5 at the back.

His most effective position is midfield. He's only 23 but he always looks a real goal threat when played in an advanced position. He's got a hell of a shot and scored 6 goals in 8 PL2 games last season. There were times last season when I think he could have solved the first team's goalscoring problem. I'd prefer him to Redmond or Ward-Prowse.

Wouldn't necessarily begrudge him a move. At 23 he really needs to be playing regularly especially as he's 3rd choice currently for us. Wonder if move had anything to do with him getting that last runout against City. Thought Puel's decision to move to fullback worked well for him as he was nowhere near making a breakthrough as a winger

Firstly, I think he is a more than competent left back for a prem squad.

Secondly, I hope this means we are not selling Bertrand this summer? Or if we are, we are replacing him! We cannot go for a whole premier season with just Matty T in that position. If we are following the youth approach, I would like to see Target and McQueen in the side. What I don't want is for us to release a youth player and then sign another player of equal or marginally better quality to take his place.

Suggests to me that Bertie is staying. Sounds like it will be a loan anyway, more than capable of holding down the position in the PL, but with Bertie and Targett needs to be playing, a year on loan at Brizzle will be good for him.

If it's a perm transfer, it'll be interesting to see how much he goes for...would have expected it to be somewhere between £5m & £10m in todays market...

The bloke he's replacing is apparently going for £6m so doubt it'll be £5-10m.

I have thought for a long time that Sam would be a better bet than JWP as a midfield player. Has more strength so can prove to be more versatile and as you say he can finish.

The bloke he's replacing is apparently going for £6m so doubt it'll be £5-10m.

Well that was kind of my point, but in todays market we probably shouldn't be letting him go for anything less than £5m. Ideally we let him go on loan for a year and see what happens, keep Bertand & Targett.

Suggests to me that Bertie is staying. Sounds like it will be a loan anyway, more than capable of holding down the position in the PL, but with Bertie and Targett needs to be playing, a year on loan at Brizzle will be good for him.

Agree. Would be daft to let go if Bertrand is off as well.

Well that was kind of my point, but in todays market we probably shouldn't be letting him go for anything less than £5m. Ideally we let him go on loan for a year and see what happens, keep Bertand & Targett.

I'd loan him out too.

Surely Bertrand will want to go given his England snub.

Was he "snubbed" though? Others players were preferred to him this time round and to be fair he hasn't had the best season clubwise. It also isnt as if he needs to be playing for a "bigger" club to get into the England squad as he managed it with little old Southampton. I dont think he will be off because he lost his England place. If he does go it will be to a bigger club and for more money.

I hope Targett is sold. He's had his opportunities in the PL and he's always looked too slow for it. Hopefully Fulham will be prepared to buy him and we can keep McQueen who I've always thought had a bit more about him

I agree totally with that. McQueen is a bit pacier, taller and just seems to have more to offer Saints. I'd rather keep him than Targett.

I'd be inclined to let Bertrand go and keep Targett and McQueen. Assuming somebody actually wants Bertrand. I certainly don't see a top 6 club coming in for him but could see a move to someone who is prepared to pay silly wages... Like WHU.
Big downward step that. The type that we have done in other positions (centre back especially) that has caused us to be in a relegation battle...

IMO neither Targett or McQueen are good enough as a PL first choice player.

I'd never hope for one of our younger players to be sold, but if it was a straight choice between Targett and McQueen I'd rather we kept McQueen. I feel like Targett is closer to fulfilling his potential so if he is still a way from being good enough now, he never will be. Even though he's probably a better defender, I recall Targett having more dodgy games than McQueen - perhaps simply because he has played more, but also because his lack of pace is exposed more easily.

I think Saints fans will be pleasantly surprised how well Targett has done for Fulham TBH...goes to show what regular football in a decent side can do for a player. I'm hoping he will be coming back as a Saints fan and local lad, but guess it depends if he feels he will get an opportunity here.

I think Saints fans will be pleasantly surprised how well Targett has done for Fulham TBH...goes to show what regular football in a decent side can do for a player. I'm hoping he will be coming back as a Saints fan and local lad, but guess it depends if he feels he will get an opportunity here.
He has always struggled at PL level though. Similarities with Danny Fox for me. Lovely left foot, good Championship player but always gets done for pace by good PL wide players.

He has always struggled at PL level though. Similarities with Danny Fox for me. Lovely left foot, good Championship player but always gets done for pace by good PL wide players.

That's unfair. He may not be the quickest, but I've never had to say "Where the hell is Targett??!?!!".

That's unfair. He may not be the quickest, but I've never had to say "Where the hell is Targett??!?!!".

Watch the play off semi final. Beaten at the back post by a bigger, stronger, more intelligent Centre Forward.

If that was Cedric, he’s be getting pelters.

Target is a championship player. McQueen more suited to the modern game.

Watch the play off semi final. Beaten at the back post by a bigger, stronger, more intelligent Centre Forward.

Everyone makes mistakes though, ask any Fulham fan and they will tell you he's done really well for them on the whole.

Targett seems more comfortable further forward and may well end up playing left midfield, he has got a sweet left foot and I do honestly believe if we persist with him then he will come good. He is still only 22, it's easy to forget that sometimes as it was a long time ago that he made his debut.

McQueen is also a decent player, but IMO it's unlikely they are both going to feature for Saints at the same time. So in that sense I can see one of them leaving this summer in order to get regular football, maybe McQueen is more likely out of the two to go at the present time.

Big centre forwards should be getting marked by the big centre backs imo and Cedric and Bertrand quite often get caught out by that , if we made him available for sale Fulham would bite our hands off he might not be as quick as Shaw but has more goals and assist's!

Loan Targett to Fulham for a season with a window call back clause. If he does well, great, if not at least we found out without it costing us. In the meantime he gets a step up in experience and if he does well we have a good player. He is probably the best crosser of a ball on the Saint's books. He rarely gives the ball away and whilst not being the quickest or good in the air there is enough there to keep him.

If you're going to sack off every full back beaten at the far post by a bigger stronger striker there won't be many on your short-list of acceptable players - if any. Targett may or may not be the real deal, but making a judgement on that one incident is somewhat facile.

Loan Targett to Fulham for a season with a window call back clause. If he does well, great, if not at least we found out without it costing us. In the meantime he gets a step up in experience and if he does well we have a good player. He is probably the best crosser of a ball on the Saint's books. He rarely gives the ball away and whilst not being the quickest or good in the air there is enough there to keep him.

I agree with this. If Fulham want him then give him a year of Premier League football and see how he does.

If you're going to sack off every full back beaten at the far post by a bigger stronger striker there won't be many on your short-list of acceptable players - if any. Targett may or may not be the real deal, but making a judgement on that one incident is somewhat facile.

Didn’t Lambert bully Clyne in the championship at Sellhurst Park, if my memory serves, he pulled onto him time and time again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let’s get Pulis and play 4 CBs across the back line. Crikey

That's the worst idea IMO. Right now Fulham think they have a decent you English player who can make the step up, but after a year on loan there where he, once again, gets found out at PL level will see his value diminish. Strike while the iron is hot and sell him this summer

Big centre forwards should be getting marked by the big centre backs imo and Cedric and Bertrand quite often get caught out by that , if we made him available for sale Fulham would bite our hands off he might not be as quick as Shaw but has more goals and assist's!

The problem is that Hoedt wanders way out of position at crucial moments and then meanders back slowly, like Hooiveld used to, leaving other players, including Cedric and Bertrand, to cover fro him in the centre of defence.

The problem is that Hoedt wanders way out of position at crucial moments and then meanders back slowly, like Hooiveld used to, leaving other players, including Cedric and Bertrand, to cover fro him in the centre of defence.

Add Stephens to that going off chasing rabbits and you have a porous defence.

Everyone makes mistakes though, ask any Fulham fan and they will tell you he's done really well for them on the whole.

Targett seems more comfortable further forward and may well end up playing left midfield, he has got a sweet left foot and I do honestly believe if we persist with him then he will come good. He is still only 22, it's easy to forget that sometimes as it was a long time ago that he made his debut.

McQueen is also a decent player, but IMO it's unlikely they are both going to feature for Saints at the same time. So in that sense I can see one of them leaving this summer in order to get regular football, maybe McQueen is more likely out of the two to go at the present time.

I'd sell Targett. I like him as an all-round football (sweet left foot) but also remember Zaha terrorising him and going past him like he wasn't there. McQueen has a bit more about him for that position, so that's who I'd keep and replace Ryan if he goes with a LB of a similar age but a bit more experience than Sam whom he could feasibly compete with now if he carries on developing.