Sam McQueen

9-3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I like your thinking there. I have a vision now of a large spreadsheet-like table' date=' entitled 'Player Sales by Year', on the wall in Les' office with years across the top and lists of player names below each of the years representing those who will be sold. For example, 2018 could have the names McQueen, Gabbiadini and Romeu as being those we intend to sell for huge fees that summer. Forward planning...[/quote']

Like cash in on our remaining better players because we won't be able to afford their wages should we go down?

Looks like a good move for him. Will be interested to see how he goes with a team challenging at top end of table.

Excellent, a season learning to play hoof-ball. Not quite as bad as Sam's loan to Arry last year but not far off. Another one who will be nearly 25 before he is given another chance to make it in the Saints first team. How long do we need to see if a player can develop enough? Ought to be in the squad, but unfortunately his strength is in a position that we are already strong. Still think he could have been a useful option in midfield.

Excellent, a season learning to play hoof-ball. Not quite as bad as Sam's loan to Arry last year but not far off. Another one who will be nearly 25 before he is given another chance to make it in the Saints first team. How long do we need to see if a player can develop enough? Ought to be in the squad, but unfortunately his strength is in a position that we are already strong. Still think he could have been a useful option in midfield.

Unfortunately, the EPL is going the same way as Serie A. In the noneties Serie A was the pre-eminent league to the extent that Clubs and managers wouldn't take risks on youngsters and the average age of a team was Maldini.

A young player has to be exceptional to make the breakthrough now - almost England quality from the get go. As with Terrence Trent-D'arby at Liverpool.

Incidentally, if anyone is nostalgic for 90's football have a listen to the excellent "Quickly Kevin, will he score" podcast series.

When push comes to shove he needs to be playing first team football and this will give him a better chance of doing that. I still think he has a chance of making it in the prem and a good spell with Boro may help him. He has been criticised for the defensive side of his game so you would hope that Pulis may improve him in that regard.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the EPL is going the same way as Serie A. In the noneties Serie A was the pre-eminent league to the extent that Clubs and managers wouldn't take risks on youngsters and the average age of a team was Maldini.

A young player has to be exceptional to make the breakthrough now - almost England quality from the get go. As with Terrence Trent-D'arby at Liverpool.

Incidentally, if anyone is nostalgic for 90's football have a listen to the excellent "Quickly Kevin, will he score" podcast series.

To be fair, you just need to be English to be England quality. Not many regular English players in the PL don't get a call-up. But yes, you're right. The FA/PL need to do something about it, not for sake of England but for sake of young players and the future.

well I watched Boro last night and they were the better side against the much vaunted Leeds. Not much hoof ball it seemed to me. Goodstuff was played by Boro IMO

Like cash in on our remaining better players because we won't be able to afford their wages should we go down?
we have already made large cuts to budgets in different departments apparently. The excuse being that as we finished low in the table there was less to spend.

well I watched Boro last night and they were the better side against the much vaunted Leeds. Not much hoof ball it seemed to me. Goodstuff was played by Boro IMO

Thought Boro played well and passed it around slickly. Indeed if you believe the stats, they were more direct last night than other games this season.

we have already made large cuts to budgets in different departments apparently. The excuse being that as we finished low in the table there was less to spend.

Except it's not an excuse is it? We lost 20% of revenue as a result of our league position vs finishing 8th. That scale of loss will impact any business.

Except it's not an excuse is it? We lost 20% of revenue as a result of our league position vs finishing 8th. That scale of loss will impact any business.

Most large businesses on a global scale have to invest to put right unexplainable and sackable errors such as Forster second extension, Pellegrino, Carrillo etc. Instead, they’ve cut further and retained the buffoons that made them, which is also unexplainable. People moan at the fans but that’s been the one constant element which has backed the club. 3 wins in 29 games and people ITK expect fans to be hunky dory.

Just hope Zaha is injured today as Saints might have a chance of causing an upset.

• 1 month later...

Done his cruciate...get well soon Sam, huge shame

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/team-news-sam-mcqueen-set-for-lengthy-lay-off

Sam McQueen is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after tearing a cruciate ligament in his knee, Tony Pulis has revealed.

The Southampton loan man was stretchered off in Wednesday's 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace.

And the Boro manager has revealed the extent of the damage.

"Sam's news is not good," Pulis said in his pre-match media conference on Friday.

"He's done his cruciate so I don't think we'll have him for a very long time.

"We're talking to Southampton now to see if he'll stay here to recover or if he'll return to his mother club.

"It's a real disappointment because Sam's not had the opportunities he would have liked, but he is a great character and he has been fantastic in the dressing room."

McQueen is one of a number of players who could miss out on Saturday's match against Stoke City, including fellow full-back Ryan Shotton, while Daniel Ayala misses out having picked up five yellow cards this season.

"I don't think Shotts will be ready in time for Saturday's game," Pulis said.

"With the bug we had earlier in the week, the doctor has had a few in earlier today to see how they are. We'll go through that and we'll pick the team from there.

"There will be a few changes, because of injuries and suspension.

"The ones we call on we want them to go out there and give it their best."

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It was sad that Sam McQueen got such a nasty injury. It is good to hear he is on the mend, but I wonder what future he has at Saints.

A few years ago he looked all set to establish himself in the Saints first team squad, but he always had a tough struggle on his hands displacing Bertrand. A number of injuries and changes of manager do not seem to have done him any favours since then and with Vokins looking set to establish himself as reserve left back I wonder if McQueen is likely to be able to get a look-in.

In addition, there remain questions about whether he is best at left back or on the wing, though personally I think he will have greater chances as a left back.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, kwsaint said:

Anyone know what's happened to him? Understand he's got a long-term injury but, to me at least, seems bizarre to have bene removed from any of the squads on OS.

Internet search has drawn a blank, other than Transfermarkt stating he has been injured for 700 plus days?

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Internet search has drawn a blank, other than Transfermarkt stating he has been injured for 700 plus days?

Nothing new known. I remember reading that the acl injury was a horrible one, and then heard the surgery wasn't the best and that he suffered a bad infection. It doesn't look promising for the lad sadly. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Nothing new known. I remember reading that the acl injury was a horrible one, and then heard the surgery wasn't the best and that he suffered a bad infection. It doesn't look promising for the lad sadly. 

Sounds exactly like what happened to J-Rod. Very sad because he showed some potential and put in a few decent performances from what I remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Very sad for the lad. That said, I'd heard that the initial surgery wasn't the best and that he'd picked up an infection. If that's correct, the fact that he's had to have the whole thing reset may have been a blessing in disguise. Either way, great to read that he's on the comeback trail.

On 06/10/2020 at 22:45, S-Clarke said:

Didn't he start against Inter Milan at home? He did have good potential at one point, but he drifted and then got a very bad injury (and another I think)

He will prob have to settle for lower if not non-league now.

I seem to remember him starting at the San Siro as well and playing very well. He seemed to have a lot of potential. Such a shame for a young lad to have that sort of injury especially so early in his career 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 22:45, S-Clarke said:

Didn't he start against Inter Milan at home? He did have good potential at one point, but he drifted and then got a very bad injury (and another I think)

He will prob have to settle for lower if not non-league now.

Don't know where you got that he "drifted". Season after Europe he was battling with Bertrand and Targett for the LB slot, played 7 times in total and then was sent out on loan where he got injured after 5 Championship games. Always thought he was better than Targett but was always going to struggle to displace Bertrand, as it turned out we could have done with him when Targett was sold as backup, and still could, but I doubt that he will ever get back to the level he was at when he was injured.

Good to see at last some news on the lad, really can't understand the secrecy from Saints about is progress (or lack thereof). Pity I can't read the Athletic report, no intention of subscribing to it.

38 minutes ago, Brumsaint said:

He still has time to get his career back, but what a horrific time of it he's had! Didn't he also have a really bad injury that held him back when he was younger? Fingers crossed for him, anyway.

It seems unlikely certainly at this level and almost impossible here with Ralph's style of football which demands supreme fitness, stamina and aggression. Sam will have suffered psychological as well as physical damage which inevitably will have taken its toll. How willing will he be to fully commit again with the nagging doubt of injuring himself badly once more?

I hope he recovers fully and if he so wishes, to continue his career as a professional footballer. From all accounts he is a bright lad and should have other career options.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Don't know where you got that he "drifted". Season after Europe he was battling with Bertrand and Targett for the LB slot, played 7 times in total and then was sent out on loan where he got injured after 5 Championship games. Always thought he was better than Targett but was always going to struggle to displace Bertrand, as it turned out we could have done with him when Targett was sold as backup, and still could, but I doubt that he will ever get back to the level he was at when he was injured.

Good to see at last some news on the lad, really can't understand the secrecy from Saints about is progress (or lack thereof). Pity I can't read the Athletic report, no intention of subscribing to it.

Surely he drifted? After that Europa league season he didn't do anything. Bertrand wasn't pulling up any trees that season, yet he couldn't really dislodge him...and he was flogged out on loan the following season with Targett considered the better option (Targett is the better player IMO).

I think the club had to make a choice between McQueen and Targett and they opted for Targett in the immediate term - good idea really, given that he earned us £15m!

I don't get our secrecy on injuries either, we've always been like it. It's very, very peculiar.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Surely he drifted? After that Europa league season he didn't do anything. Bertrand wasn't pulling up any trees that season, yet he couldn't really dislodge him...and he was flogged out on loan the following season with Targett considered the better option (Targett is the better player IMO).

I think the club had to make a choice between McQueen and Targett and they opted for Targett in the immediate term - good idea really, given that he earned us £15m!

I don't get our secrecy on injuries either, we've always been like it. It's very, very peculiar.

Was very much like this with J-Rod too, IIRC.