Sam McQueen

9-3

TBF he looked very good when played. Surprised he's not been given more game time to be honest

He was heavy linked to a Liverpool move back in November and if the Bertrand to Chelsea links materialise then Mcqueen becomes our number 1 LB next season, if he performs well we'd probably look to sell him summer 2018

TBF he looked very good when played. Surprised he's not been given more game time to be honest

He was heavy linked to a Liverpool move back in November and if the Bertrand to Chelsea links materialise then Mcqueen becomes our number 1 LB next season, if he performs well we'd probably look to sell him summer 2018

I like your thinking there. I have a vision now of a large spreadsheet-like table, entitled 'Player Sales by Year', on the wall in Les' office with years across the top and lists of player names below each of the years representing those who will be sold. For example, 2018 could have the names McQueen, Gabbiadini and Romeu as being those we intend to sell for huge fees that summer. Forward planning...

Has he gone backwards under Puel?

• 8 months later...
Was surprised we kept both him and Targett in the summer, thought one of them would go on loan - don't mind which.

IIRC Targett was all lined up to go to Newcastle on loan, but it fell through because we wanted a loan to January, they wanted all season.

I know someone close to Sam & was told he was devastated & frustrated to be dropped from the squad altogether on Tuesday night after playing so well at Old Trafford on Saturday. He's had chances to leave on loan & permanently but is a Saints fan and wants to play for and build his reputation at Saints. Given how poor Pied was against Palace, dropping him was another big mistake by the manager!

I know someone close to Sam & was told he was devastated & frustrated to be dropped from the squad altogether on Tuesday night after playing so well at Old Trafford on Saturday. He's had chances to leave on loan & permanently but is a Saints fan and wants to play for and build his reputation at Saints. Given how poor Pied was against Palace, dropping him was another big mistake by the manager!

Dropping him completely was a d*ck move by MP.

Eh? Pied played right back and was one of our best players on the night.

If McQueen wants game time he needs to show he is better than Bertrand or Tadic/Boufal/Redmond, which he hasn't done.

Didn't see the issue with McQueen dropping out on Tuesday. If Bertrand is fit, first name there - no questions. With their attack of Zaha and Townsend we needed to make sure we had pace at full back, which McQueen doesn't have.

I was surprised to not even see him on the bench though.

I thought McQueen was one of the reasons for our far more upbeat performance at Old Trafford. Always willing to attack but if he gets caught upfield he busts a gut to get back into position. Contrast this with Bertrand, particularly the other night, who strolls back from upfield and stops or slows virtually every move forward.

I know who I'd rather see on the pitch in a relegation battle.

Eh? Pied played right back and was one of our best players on the night.

If McQueen wants game time he needs to show he is better than Bertrand or Tadic/Boufal/Redmond, which he hasn't done.

McQueen is an attacking full back. It doesn’t sound as though you realise that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought McQueen was one of the reasons for our far more upbeat performance at Old Trafford. Always willing to attack but if he gets caught upfield he busts a gut to get back into position. Contrast this with Bertrand, particularly the other night, who strolls back from upfield and stops or slows virtually every move forward.

Two games in three days? Maybe this had something to do with the choice.

He's an attacking left full back, converted from a left winger. Pied plays right back so whether he plays or not shouldn't affect whether McQueen plays.

If McQueen is to play he'll have to oust our other attacking left full back, Bertrand, who's been England's starting left back recently. Or alternatively he could be played further up the pitch in his former left wing role i.e. the position occupied by Tadic/Redmond/Boufal.

This

He’s not the first player under this manager to get dropped after playing well.

He's an attacking left full back, converted from a left winger. Pied plays right back so whether he plays or not shouldn't affect whether McQueen plays.

If McQueen is to play he'll have to oust our other attacking left full back, Bertrand, who's been England's starting left back recently. Or alternatively he could be played further up the pitch in his former left wing role i.e. the position occupied by Tadic/Redmond/Boufal.

A lot of full-backs were wingers when they were younger.

Absolutely.

Pied wasn’t poor against palace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes he was, especially in the second half when we needed some urgency. He couldn't get the ball under control, almost let it run out of play when he was going up the line twice when under no pressure and constantly hesitated to cross the ball in. His crossing like Ward Prowse's is woeful, with both failing to get it beyond the first man almost every time!

Yes he was, especially in the second half when we needed some urgency. He couldn't get the ball under control, almost let it run out of play when he was going up the line twice when under no pressure and constantly hesitated to cross the ball in. His crossing like Ward Prowse's is woeful, with both failing to get it beyond the first man almost every time!

Not a big fan, have seen enough of him to be one, but to be fair he was struggling with a hip injury for a large part of the game.

Well, he's been a winger most of his career and also played up front when out on loan.

The only reason he plays full back for us is because he can't get a game in another position.

No idea what your point is. Do you think he should be starting? If so, in place of Bertrand?

• 4 months later...
Bristol City have today been linked with a move for Southampton left-back Sam McQueen.

The Robins are set to lose Joe Bryan during the summer transfer window with Burnley, Everton and Aston Villa all keen on signing the 24-year-old.

Bryan only has a year left on his contract at Ashton Gate and Bristol City look set to cash-in with a fee of around £6million expected for the Bristol-born defender.

The Mirror are reporting that Lee Johnson has outlined 23-year-old McQueen to replace Bryan at Ashton Gate.

McQueen has been told he can quit St Mary’s this summer if the right offer comes in and Johnson is likely to make his move once Bryan’s exit is finalised.

The Saints defender played 22 times in the 2017/18 season, mostly from the bench and he looks to end his time at the club this summer.

He spent time on loan at Southend United during the 2015/16 season and has a career total of 46 appearances.

Source: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-star-bristol-citys-radar-1588267

Good deal for Burnley that. Thought Bryan was very good every time I’ve seen him

As we expect Bertrand to be off, it begs the question why we aren't in for Bryan, never mind releasing McQueen.

I'd like to see a replacement LB for Bertrand, and McQueen or Targett on loan somewhere, keeping the other as back up.