Saints 3 Palace 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

Man of the Match v Palace  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Palace

Phew! By all accounts we were dreadful first half

We weren't dreadful. Long put in some telling runs, JWP hit a wonder pass from the dugout, Hennessy made a superb save from a Redmond header, Cedric got to the bye line and was giving their left back a torrid time ... We were good first half but we're even better in the second.

Well as was quoted just a few days ago " we are not the most mediocre team in the League " .

Its sad that this is what we have become .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yeah because we have spent most of our history gloriously winning title after title up till this season when Puel ruined it all ...

Honestly, maybe we are not hitting the heights we had under Poch or Koeman but we are hardly sinking like a stone. Cup final (which we probably should have won!), a hit and miss european campaign and a good chance at a top half finish. If this is mediocrity I would take it. Just ask the blue few down the road!

Wasn't a foul on Zaha, he was waiting for the slightest contact and was very weak.

He's so petulant.

Thought the same having watched the replay. Zaha's thrown himself to the ground and didn't even attempt to challenge Davis. He's gone over too easily, usually the it's our players that get knocked of the ball too easily in similar challenges.

Well as was quoted just a few days ago " we are not the most mediocre team in the League " .

Its sad that this is what we have become .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Little ray of sunshine once again. I think supporting a mid table team is a little too stressful for you, my little green friend. Perhaps you should try supporting Chelsea instead?

We weren't dreadful. Long put in some telling runs, JWP hit a wonder pass from the dugout, Hennessy made a superb save from a Redmond header, Cedric got to the bye line and was giving their left back a torrid time ... We were good first half but we're even better in the second.

You've made it look like my post was a negative one by isolating that quote!

First half I had to make do with the radio, which even though it was London Radio not Solent, didn't actually make us sound that bad, but I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from listening to commentary. When I read the match thread there were lots of negative comments, not necessarily from the usual suspects. Had a text from a friend at the game, saying "It's been terrible. Yoshida and Cedric have been ok but everyone else has been rubbish."

First half I had to make do with the radio, which even though it was London Radio not Solent, didn't actually make us sound that bad, but I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from listening to commentary. When I read the match thread there were lots of negative comments, not necessarily from the usual suspects. Had a text from a friend at the game, saying "It's been terrible. Yoshida and Cedric have been ok but everyone else has been rubbish."

I was at the game. We weren't terrible in the first half. We dominated for much of it but just failed to convert our chances (a familiar story). Then they scored and we fell into a bit of disarray. But, after we scored, we got back on track. I thought we were the better side but we did struggle a bit in our penalty area with the constant high balls. A good win where previously we might have crumbled after going a goal down.

I suggest your friend was at another match we were comfortably the better side all night only Shane Long's inability to finish stopped it being a very good first half.

Little ray of sunshine once again. I think supporting a mid table team is a little too stressful for you, my little green friend. Perhaps you should try supporting Chelsea instead?

Dont quote the fool, he is utterly clueless...

We were very good last night and he really does`nt like it...

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

I was at the game. We weren't terrible in the first half. We dominated for much of it but just failed to convert our chances (a familiar story). Then they scored and we fell into a bit of disarray. But, after we scored, we got back on track. I thought we were the better side but we did struggle a bit in our penalty area with the constant high balls. A good win where previously we might have crumbled after going a goal down.

Fair enough, thanks for the summary. I think perhaps the period after they scored may be the period that stuck out for him and for posters on the match thread. You say "after we scored", but wasn't it HT after we scored? I watched the second half, agree we played pretty well (which my original post on the first page would show), relieved that we scored the goals our performance merited, was worried they weren't going to come.

I thought we generally played well last night, first half we started the game really well. Could have been a goal or two up before they scored theirs, but I think after the game went on and we hadn't got the goal, we sort of lost a bit of belief and retreated back a bit. We have a knack of scoring on HT though, which is a great moment to score. Allowed us to come out in the 2nd half and just carry on where we ended the half, it was turning into a bit of 'one of those night's, as we had several guilt edged chances that we should have put to bed before we did.

We should have had at least one penalty, i don't understand anyone who doesn't think that was a pen. It was close to him, fair enough, but there was a genuine movement of his arm away from his body to flick the ball away - clear as day as a handball. We kept plugging away and Redmond had a great 2nd half, for the 2nd goal he did exactly what I've been crying out for him to do - run and commit players, he's a real, real threat when he does that. Then we cut them open again with what I thought was a great third goal, and JWP is thriving in this position.

Onto JWP, I think Claude has found his best place. Not a proper central midfielder, but playing on the inside right of an attacking 3. Allows him to get involved in attacks, less reliance on him being physical in the middle, and it also means he can use his right peg to pop the ball in from the right channel. It's definitely a position which gets the best out of him and I much prefer him there than as a set central midfielder. He's definitely a player who has evolved over the season and credit to Claude for being the first manager who seems to have found his best role.

Long will obviously get grief for missing the chances, but he still gets himself into those positions and still makes the runs. He has been a tad unlucky, but as long as he keeps making the moves he is then the goals will come.

On to Saturday, let's finish the season as well as we can.

Good post S-Clarke, particularly agree about Redmond and Long - would rather see Long getting into the positions knowing that at some point he'll get one than seeing Rodriguez never quite fashioning a chance. At least Long gets you on the edge of your seat that something MIGHT happen! However, while I'm sure he will get one eventually, I'm not convinced the floodgates will open, he's always likely to waste chances.

Gilt-edged chances btw ;)

I suggest your friend was at another match we were comfortably the better side all night only Shane Long's inability to finish stopped it being a very good first half.

Totally agree and will add in the second half too on a better night he could easily have scored four with a bit more luck/skill/guile/ability.

Thought at times last night we looked really good going forward - Tadic didn't try too hard, Redmond was excellent and ran at them all night.

All Palace really offered was Benteke, with Townsend and Puncheon on edge of the play - does Sakho have a 50p head 20m????

Is there a more loathsome individual in football than Sam Allardyce?

5 of their last 8 games against top 6 and also got Leicester in the other 3. Nothing against Palace but would love the greedy fat **** to get releagted

5 of their last 8 games against top 6 and also got Leicester in the other 3. Nothing against Palace but would love the greedy fat **** to get releagted

I find Zaha pretty loathsome and that **** Vardy to.

Great result, relief more than anything. Even a tiny chance of a relegation battle is too much but that should be done with now. Think we relied on a bit of luck with them missing a few chances and hitting the post but deserved to win in the end.

Team can look so fragile at both ends and then show potential too. Guess it'll all come down to keeping VVD or replacing him well, and keeping Gabbiadini fit. Worrying so many have dipped in form this season but maybe they need a new start elsewhere. Wanted to think Long would rediscover his form from last season but it's really gone hasn't it. Still, Redmond and JWP are looking good further forward, think those 2 playing each week with Gabbiadini will produce a fair few goals. No idea whether Tadic, Boufal or someone else are the answer with them though.

With little to play for it'd be good to just build for next season now. Like to see Hojbjerg, Boufal and Sims gets more time to show something.

Why only mention our luck, they had more luck when we didnt convert our many chances

Great result, relief more than anything. Even a tiny chance of a relegation battle is too much but that should be done with now. Think we relied on a bit of luck with them missing a few chances and hitting the post but deserved to win in the end.

Team can look so fragile at both ends and then show potential too. Guess it'll all come down to keeping VVD or replacing him well, and keeping Gabbiadini fit. Worrying so many have dipped in form this season but maybe they need a new start elsewhere. Wanted to think Long would rediscover his form from last season but it's really gone hasn't it. Still, Redmond and JWP are looking good further forward, think those 2 playing each week with Gabbiadini will produce a fair few goals. No idea whether Tadic, Boufal or someone else are the answer with them though.

With little to play for it'd be good to just build for next season now. Like to see Hojbjerg, Boufal and Sims gets more time to show something.

Who are the "so many" who have dipped in form this season...the only one who stands out on the form loss front is Forster and possibly Long

Certainly JWP, Cedric, Romeu and Yoshida all look to have improved from last season.

I thought we generally played well last night, first half we started the game really well. Could have been a goal or two up before they scored theirs, but I think after the game went on and we hadn't got the goal, we sort of lost a bit of belief and retreated back a bit. We have a knack of scoring on HT though, which is a great moment to score. Allowed us to come out in the 2nd half and just carry on where we ended the half, it was turning into a bit of 'one of those night's, as we had several guilt edged chances that we should have put to bed before we did.

We should have had at least one penalty, i don't understand anyone who doesn't think that was a pen. It was close to him, fair enough, but there was a genuine movement of his arm away from his body to flick the ball away - clear as day as a handball. We kept plugging away and Redmond had a great 2nd half, for the 2nd goal he did exactly what I've been crying out for him to do - run and commit players, he's a real, real threat when he does that. Then we cut them open again with what I thought was a great third goal, and JWP is thriving in this position.

Onto JWP, I think Claude has found his best place. Not a proper central midfielder, but playing on the inside right of an attacking 3. Allows him to get involved in attacks, less reliance on him being physical in the middle, and it also means he can use his right peg to pop the ball in from the right channel. It's definitely a position which gets the best out of him and I much prefer him there than as a set central midfielder. He's definitely a player who has evolved over the season and credit to Claude for being the first manager who seems to have found his best role.

Long will obviously get grief for missing the chances, but he still gets himself into those positions and still makes the runs. He has been a tad unlucky, but as long as he keeps making the moves he is then the goals will come.

Didn't Potch play JWP wide right in a 4-2-3-1 as well I seem to remember? Puel isn't the first manager to play him there but don't dispute that's JWP is playing his best football this season.

Great win last night, this season was always going to be a big challenge to improve, league wise any where from 8th up will be a good achievement. It has been a season of contrast a Cup Final (we was robbed) to our poor performance in Europe, being the two extremes. What last nights performance like many this season demonstrated is that we play good football, we lacked one major component, a top class finisher, Gabbi came in and addressed that in part, but with no back up we are back to good football with no end product. I have 2 priorities for the close season, keep VVD and get another proven goal scorer.

Didn't Potch play JWP wide right in a 4-2-3-1 as well I seem to remember? Puel isn't the first manager to play him there but don't dispute that's JWP is playing his best football this season.

I can hardly remember last week, let alone that far back! He was a bit in and out of the team that year though if I remember, but this seems to be the first time he's holding a position and actually seems like one of the fixed names on the team sheet for the first time ever.

Just read through the match thread.... what a hilarious thread full of utterly clueless fools

who have zero comprehension of football and a lesser understanding of what they were watching/listening to/ reading on web site updates..

:lol: = DT

There were at least as few sensible posters amongst them thankfully, well done to those for posting amongst the dross

Just read through the match thread.... what a hilarious thread full of utterly clueless fools

who have zero comprehension of football and a lesser understanding of what they were watching/listening to/ reading on web site updates..

:lol: = DT

There were at least as few sensible posters amongst them thankfully, well done to those for posting amongst the dross

You've been doing ever so well to rein in the tantrums and abuse; but like a recovering alcoholic, it must be a struggle and there's always the risk of a relapse.

Nobody would want to see you banned for a 3rd or 4th time.

Edited by shurlock

Would be pretty funny, but not as funny as West Ham getting relegated - that would be a right laugh!

Actually, we were very good for much of the first half, that is the first 15 minutes until Palace responded to Big Sam's shouts to up their tempo and pressurise Saints defence. Saints were pinned back and their Palarses goal was not a surprise. Then the ref made some horrendous mistakes that angered both crowd and Saints players, and we ended the last 15 minutes

well. In both halves Saints played some beautiful skilful football, but were wild in front of goal. Until Yosh showed everyone how.

Adrian Durham on Talk Sport take on the Redmond goal, Zaha was shielding the ball feels the Southampton player behind him and takes a dive he also had a pop at Fat Sam and praised JWP.

He's still a massive ****

Was an excellent performance bar the finishing. That was a game that should have been out of sight, Long (pun intended) before Palace scored.

I counted four one on ones for Long last night. The one in the first 40seconds (weaker foot, but surely has to hit the target), the one from JWPs amazing through ball (from where I sat, he had time to take a touch, bring it inside, knock it passed the sliding defender - anything other than screwing it towards the corner flag), the one where he tried to dink it over the keeper but managed to Arter-it over the bar, and the one where Tadic would have had a claim for assist of the season where I initially thought it was a good save (at least he got that one on target) before the guy sitting next to me made the point of "Good save, but he shouldn't have been given the opportunity to get anywhere near it). Coupled with all the other chances we missed (Off the line twice, Yoshida's free header, JWP, Cedric), at least one, possibly three penalties - and almost constant ability to get in behind them, had that ended up with us scoring 6 or 7, nobody could really have argued. It was that dominant in attack. I have literally just started laughing at the gilt edge chances we miss now. Fair play to Long to keep running in there, but he has to take one of those last night. He just has to.

Thought everybody played very well last night to be fair - was a great game of football to watch. When Tadic and Redmond are like that, it must be a nightmare to defend against. Also some merit to Tadic's comments about him staying on the full 90 - he was involved in both the goals in the last 5mins.

Interesting reading about people thinking Caceres (sp) should play. If we're looking at next season, should we bother playing somebody who is only here till the end of the season or give Stephens more playing time for the future? We're never going to be as solid without VvD, but IF he goes, then I trust the board to re-invest that wisely. The team is starting to look pretty good and if VvD is the only one we lose in the summer (keeping Tadic is vital for me), I can see a really, really good season when everybody is fit next year.

Adrian Durham on Talk Sport take on the Redmond goal, Zaha was shielding the ball feels the Southampton player behind him and takes a dive he also had a pop at Fat Sam and praised JWP.

Did Durham watch JWP's performance or just look at who was on the score sheet?

Same goes for the MOTD pundits unless they've developed superhuman powers to bend time.

Did Durham watch JWP's performance or just look at who was on the score sheet?

Same goes for the MOTD pundits unless they've developed superhuman powers to bend time.

Pretty sure the MOTD pundits watch a few games on a few screens live during the day and then watch extended highlights of the rest in between final whistle and broadcast.

Pretty sure the MOTD pundits watch a few games on a few screens live during the day and then watch extended highlights of the rest in between final whistle and broadcast.

Esp talking about midweek games - there were 6 alone last night.

The one on Long looked stonewall at the time. Wasn't sure on the handball and still not as it was close but the replays do show hand to ball and the ball changed direction as a result. Should have had at least one if not both. WG will disagree on the handball but have definitely seen those given.

As I saw it his hand was moving before the ball was kicked up at it. There may be one or two referees who would have given it but in general I think most would have turned it down.

Long's incident was a long way away from me. My neighbour was adamant that the defender's thigh had caught Long's but how he could have seen that I don't know. I'd have liked to have seen a replay of it. Still, the ref didn't give that nor he alleged foul on Zaha. In both cases I felt that that attacker was trying to initiate a foul.

And Tadic getting hacked down in the box against Spurs. Video technology can't come soon enough.

'Getting hacked down' is very extreme. There's no video evidence that he was actually touched, certainly not enough to bring him down, and not enough for any video ref to give a ruling. This was examined from several views on Sky.

Talking of penalty shouts why didn't we get one when Davis got clattered? He won the ball and got taken out although for reasons beyond my comprehension it seems that if a player shoots and then gets kicked it never seems to count as a foul whereas if you play a pass anywhere on the pitch and get caught it's a free kick.

think we may have repeated the boric / Forster issue this season. For me Tadic is miles better than Boufal at the moment and his rant was right (and backed up by stats). Not sure where we go from here next season - id love to give Boufal more time but if that means Tadic leaves I'm not so sure..

'Getting hacked down' is very extreme. There's no video evidence that he was actually touched, certainly not enough to bring him down, and not enough for any video ref to give a ruling. This was examined from several views on Sky.

The Tadic incident at Spurs? No evidence he was actually touched? How about Alli? Christ prem refs look superhuman and omniscient in comparison to you.

Edited by shurlock

Excellent post, especially regarding JWP.

As I saw it his hand was moving before the ball was kicked up at it. There may be one or two referees who would have given it but in general I think most would have turned it down.

Long's incident was a long way away from me. My neighbour was adamant that the defender's thigh had caught Long's but how he could have seen that I don't know. I'd have liked to have seen a replay of it. Still, the ref didn't give that nor he alleged foul on Zaha. In both cases I felt that that attacker was trying to initiate a foul.

Totally agree.