Saints 3 Palace 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

Man of the Match v Palace  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Palace

Anyone who didn't go and watched on stream/ssn or listened on radio, can they confirm that we should have had 2 penalties (and their man sent off for the foul on long) and they should have had a freekick for our goal. Appalling officiating today IMO

That pass to Long was a poem.

He may be a whiner but he is right, he has to play 90 minutes if fit. You can't take off the man that can give you that spark that you need to break down a defense. A difference maker.

Oh, and Redmond is getting better every game.

Tadic always starts off the season great and ends it superbly too. The cold months he is ****e and frustrating.

IMHO when Tadic is enjoying his football the team clicks into place.

I disagree, Long's finishing is awful but at least he pulls the opposition's defence around which creates space. J Rod is so blunt Bournemouth and Prague are examples. Hopefully the last game Gabi misses and we have him back at Hawthorns.

Much better second half - Yoshi's league goals are rare but always crucial, JWP has added goal threat and Redmond was one of few players to turn up both halves. Bit of luck with the woodwork and first goal but earned with pathetic handball bottle by the officials.

MP and Spurs helped us and looking rather healthier. Pamplemousse's 1% looks more realistic now. Palace looked dangerous but defensive injuries told, will be fine. W Ham v Swansea is a bit tasty now though...

Agree long had a lot to do with how good we were going forward today. He's not a great finisher and he's clearly having an extra frustrating season in front of goal. Even when he hit it sweetly tonight Hennessy pulled off a good save. I'd be nervous about rushing gabbi back and then finding him pull up once more.

Thought McQueen was responsible for the first goal and that Bertrand would have blocked it?

I thought that too. Watching the replay he initially looks over at Townsend and sees him in space, but then ignores him and leaves him far too much room to run in and provide the cross.

Anyone who didn't go and watched on stream/ssn or listened on radio, can they confirm that we should have had 2 penalties (and their man sent off for the foul on long) and they should have had a freekick for our goal. Appalling officiating today IMO

Watched it online from Aus. The handball was a definite penalty- he moved his arm towards the ball and changed its flight. The challenge on Long was debatable but probably would've been given as a FK if it was outside the box. And Davis probably did foul Zaha before our equaliser- I would be pretty ****ed off if that had gone against us. Saying that, we played on and a lot of their players just stopped.

1st one definite, the second one was 50/50, and there was definitely a foul on the Palace player. I thought at the time, if the ref gives this foul for them, the crowd will go beserk, which is why I reckon he didn't give it.

Excellent performance tonight. But for some poor finishing, good goalkeeping and just bad luck we could have had half a dozen. We really deserved to win that but I thought we were going to end up with a draw the longer the game went on. I'm told the Long penalty wasn't a penalty but the handball (outside the area?) was definitely handball but to be honest I could see that from the other end of the pitch. I did think it was a foul on their player before our first goal but I don't think the ref had the balls to give it after his other decisions in the first half. Tadic was superb tonight, some of his passing and movement was first class. I thought Long was unlucky to get on the scoresheet tonight but if he continues playing like that he will soon.

Not sure how we're going to cope without Romeu though.

The first one was ridiculous. Totally deliberate movement of the hand towards the ball and he literally punched it away. The most obvious and blatant penalty you could imagine.

As for the second one, I think the ref got it absolutely right. Long knew he wasn't going to get to the ball before the defender so he changed the direction of his run very slightly to cut across him and engineer the contact. He does it quite frequently, and I reckon all the refs are suss to it because they never get given.

I'm astounded that I'm reading that long is unlucky and long was why we played well. Missed 4 one on ones. He's a striker there to score goals. Don't get the long love in. Tadic was amazing tonight.

Watched it online from Aus. The handball was a definite penalty- he moved his arm towards the ball and changed its flight. The challenge on Long was debatable but probably would've been given as a FK if it was outside the box. And Davis probably did foul Zaha before our equaliser- I would be pretty ****ed off if that had gone against us. Saying that' date=' we played on and a lot of their players just stopped.[/quote']

The build up to our first goal was a great example of how building pressure on officials can influence their decisions. Would probably have usually been given as a foul, but they didn't fancy it with everyone hyped up after the earlier decisions.

I'm told the Long penalty wasn't a penalty but the handball (outside the area?) was definitely handball but to be honest I could see that from the other end of the pitch.

The handball was definitely in the box and the ref had a clear view of it so no idea why it wasn't given.

The first one was ridiculous. Totally deliberate movement of the hand towards the ball and he literally punched it away. The most obvious and blatant penalty you could imagine.

Got to disagree. I watched it 7 times including the premier league replays after the end of the game. Schlupp flung his arm out trying to regain his balance, and the ball struck his hand but he did not "punch" the ball at all.

Seen them given, but at that short range he didn't have time to react and do that with intent IMO.

Bearing in mind the rule is based on intent you will never know 100%, unless the player confesses after the game!

Benteke on the other hand [ball] deserved his yellow card for deliberate HB.

Thought that was one of the best passing displays this season. McQueen had a cracker when you consider how little he has played lately.

Romeu outstanding but Redmond my Motm.

Well done Claude with some recruiting we could have a great season next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Tadic has been moaning about not getting 90 minutes, but today he did and thoroughly deserved them. He looked sharp, fast and motivated to add to his skill. Puel must be quietly satisfied that tadic has made himself so difficult to drop or substitute. In the after match interview I heard in the car Puel was also saying that he expects more from Redmond, and he is indeed beginning to get us onto the edge of our seats. Nobody had a bad game. I think JWP is also improving and for all his lack of pace he made the right run for his goal after the pass, and he did a lovely bending curved through ball in behind their defence in the first half which was delicious, and the sort Gabbiadini would be salivating over.

We've got players to stretch other teams but it really would be nice to have a natural finisher in our team though, so lets hope for good news about injuries...

I'm astounded that I'm reading that long is unlucky and long was why we played well. Missed 4 one on ones. He's a striker there to score goals. Don't get the long love in. Tadic was amazing tonight.

Glad I'm not alone, can't believe so many people keep making excuses about how hard he works and gets into some great positions. What's the point in having pace and movement if you're absolutely hopeless when it comes to kicking the ball.

Redmond, Yoshi, Romeu, Tadic and Cedric all excellent tonight I thought. JWP still improving and Forster had a great save at the start of the second half.

When you think our weak points are currently a striker and Stephens, you can't help but wonder how good we might be with Virgil and Gabbi in the side.

Good win in the end and decent performance but didn't see it as quite as good as some on here. Palace hit the woodwork twice and I still thought it could have swung either way until we scored and then for the last 10 we relaxed. I still think we look a little ponderous in possession at times but maybe I'm expecting too much. Very impressed by Redmond who has completely won me over with his recent performances. Shout out to Jack Stephens too who, whilst he had a few dodgy moments, did better against Benteke than I expected.

Pleased that the win finally dispels any lingering relegation doubt (didn't really ever think we'd get sucked in) as it was looking a bit tight after 44 mins with other results going against us!

Great performance, Tadic in particular. Well done to the manager for not panicking and taking off long, JWP or Redmond & leaving the side as it was. I haven't read the match thread but I'm sure the chumps were calling for changes at 1-1. Defended great, although Benteke won nearly everything ( as he normally does) our alert back 4 & OR got around the second ball. That's good coaching & good defending.

**** me, if we'd have swapped strikers we'd have beat them 6 or 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point early this season there was mention that Puel wanted to build the team round Tadic, unfortunately it seemed like this had gone to Dušans head a little and as a result frustrated both Puel and us in the stands with his over playing. I thought last night was his best performance for a long time by keeping it simple, and amazingly not flouncing about at decisions from ref and being all theatrical when tackled. That made the team look so much better.

With regard to their goal even before the ball had reached Townsend I thought this is looking dangerous, and so it proved to be.

Nice to see the 12th man having a hand in our equaliser, when Davo out muscled Zaha (?) right in front of the lino, Mr East had been getting so much grief of all of us fans he probably feared blowing his whistle for that. That said some shocking decisions made on his part.

If only our strike force had been more effective this season we could have getting right in the mix up at the top, let's hope this summer we take a serious look at young Gallagher as Gabbi and him could be the Pelle and Mané we have been missing this season.

For all those numpties getting all emotional about not seeing Caceres on the pitch, at half time when the subs came out for a kick about he was passing back and forth with Sims, who I thought was our standard identikit blonde academy midget from up in the stands, but Sims looked much bigger than Caceres who was wearing a big puffy bench coat, he looked better built to cover Cedric than Maya and Jack.

Fat Sam moaning about the build up to the equaliser, but it makes up for the blatant penalty for hand ball we did not get.

Managers are blinkered and only see and moan about decisions which adversely affect them.

Fat Sam not seeing an obvious pen is the same as Mourinho bleating about the introduction of video technology after Zlatan had a goal harshly ruled this week but the same thought strangely not occurring to him when Gabbi's goal was ruled out in the EPL Cup final.

Not handball. Far too close to give.

He deliberately punched the ball away that defender knew exactly what he was doing I'm normally pretty dismissive of handballs many that I see given are extremely harsh on the player but that one last night was blatantly deliberate.

He deliberately punched the ball away that defender knew exactly what he was doing I'm normally pretty dismissive of handballs many that I see given are extremely harsh on the player but that one last night was blatantly deliberate.

Yeah, but WG used to be a referee, ergo, according to the laws of non sequitur arguments, he will always be right about refereeing decisions. ;)

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/non%20sequitur

And no-one mentions the challenge that injured Davis - was over the top and very late - should have been a penalty and a card, possibly red

This - thought it was a nuts challenge, and I really really don't get why he wasn't carded and we didn't get a penalty.

I'm left wondering how many clear penalties Saints are going to be denied this season.

Still, we won so it's a moot point.

Nice to see Yoshi get a goal, also shows what happens when you actually get players moving into the box rather than just passing it around the outside. Redmond is on fire at the moment, showing some lively skills.

Long..... the goals will come if he keeps on doing what he's doing. He's not far off each time and you can see he's frustrated. Tadic much better last night compared to the weekend.

A good performance from the team. Looking forward to the weekend.

On a side note, nice to see Our special cousins across the forest take 4 points from Liverpool this season - that'll keep the bindippers whining nicely.

Well played saints, kept believing and got the result we desperately needed, felt the nerves going round the ground at 1 down but fair play they turned it round, i was actually quite impressed with palace. Had to laugh at Sakho's "50p head moment"

This - thought it was a nuts challenge, and I really really don't get why he wasn't carded and we didn't get a penalty.

We didn't get a penalty because probably because Davis blazed the ball wide before the defender made contact. Not making excuses for him because it was reckless and dangerous, but it looked to me like he was just shaping himself to block the shot.

After 44 mins we were 4 points off the bottom 3 and in 16th position. Can understand why a few were a bit stressed..... We should never have been in this mini mess

That was a huge 46 minutes of football.

I'll enjoy the win. Be good to have a little run of results now

No we were`nt as the games last 90 mins hth... we only have short games on the match thread for some whinners...

BBC text suggested that they were both penalties

BBC text suggested that they were both penalties

The one on Long looked stonewall at the time. Wasn't sure on the handball and still not as it was close but the replays do show hand to ball and the ball changed direction as a result. Should have had at least one if not both. WG will disagree on the handball but have definitely seen those given.

How far have we come, that a 3-1 home win against Crystal Palace feels like a towering victory?

Well as was quoted just a few days ago " we are not the most mediocre team in the League " .

Its sad that this is what we have become .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk