Puel In

Matthew Le God

A Puel IN thread chucked out on the back of 3 wins in the last 9 :?

Seems to me that Puels future successes depend on a lot of strict variables "A perfect storm" players need to be in top form, take all or most chances, needs a full squad, minimum amount of games, keeper needs to save everything and our strikers need to be in prolific form + the referee also needs to favor us?

And the above checklist is from his biggest supporters!?

Saying that I was very critical of Puel earlier in the season - I complained about the OTT rotation, his delivery and repetition in interviews, Evertons 30+ point swing, the predictability and pace of our play, form against the big 6 sides, the form (lack of) of some players, playing players out of position (notably Redmond), the diamond, our performances and exit from Europe, sideways passing and some of the horrendous performances he's delivered (HBSx2, Inter away, Liverpool home, Prague away, Palace away, Stoke away, Spurs home, WBA home, Everton away, Norwich away, Burnley away, Arsenal home, Hull away, Swansea away, WHU home and AFCB home at the weekend)

I’ve also praised where I can – The EFL cup run, the cup final performance, the reduction of rotation, now playing Redmond in his natural position, some performances (Last night (2nd half), WHU away, Inter home, Arsenal away, Everton home, Watford away)

My concern is he is still a BIG gamble – we could easily waste another season making excuses for him, just like our results our performances are very inconsistent - we still lack any playing identity, there is no imagination or clever ideas evident – just all very bulk standard, almost old school. Sometimes it works a lot of the time it doesn’t. We win just 1 in 3 under Puel.

Could another manager with exactly the same resources do more – IMHO 100% yes, could we do worse than Puel – 100% yes

I love the way you are so selective !

Let's say - " 3 wins and a draw from our last 6 matches " and it sounds a lot better, no ?

And all of this coming from the troll who posted " LoL Puel " when we conceded an early goal v Bournemouth (which of course we went on to win comfortably!) - it seems that criticism is the norm and that any praise given comes with some sort of rider, calculated to demean the manager !

The guy has been given a 3 year contract and deserves a chance to assert his influence over a reasonable period of time, unless some form of disaster occurs (which it hasn't) so why don't you just get behind him and the club for once ? It could even be good therapy for you :)

But you would be moaning if we didnt win it.. and if we did would you say, "i would rather be in the championship" ...course not

unless of course you want us to win it then be relegated the next season so we can win it again.... :lol:

Of course I would never want us to go down, however as a fan who pays £1000's into the club every year, I want to see us challenge rather than accept mid table mediocrity.

Each to their own, however I suspect you contribute nowt to the club, so don't expect a service (by service I mean excitement / entertainment and to be challenging the top clubs in the league as we have done for the past 3 season).

This is not only aimed at Puel as I have no doubt he is doing the best he can, the board and Les need to take a look at themselves.

As I have said previously, I wouldn't sack him and give him until Christmas time, I just have doubts about his ability and our ambition as a club.

I don't think he was ever going to be one of those instant impact managers, he was brought in for a long term job. We've been pretty unlucky this season IMO, we were unlucky in Europe (Inter games for example) which meant a few bad performances cost us, we were unlucky in the cup final and we've generally had bad luck with injuries (I suspect had we had a fit Boufal, Van Dijk and Austin for most of the season we'd be much closer to Everton and have won the cup).

There have been some bad inconsistency no doubt, but he's new to the league and we have struggled for a settled team.

One thing that was clearly in his job description and he has done pretty well is he has used and improved the young players, that can only benefit us long term. I can only see the like of JWP, Redmond, McQueen etc. being better next year and improving us.

I always kind of thought after losing Mane, losing Koeman, and the pressure of Europe this would be a bit of a transition season. The cup win would have made it a massively successful season, but a top 10 will of course be disappointing after recent seasons. But at the same time I cannot say he's done a bad job.

But the crux of it all will be who we sell or don't sell in the summer and who we get in.

Whatever Puel does, if we sell Van Dijk, Redmond etc. and just replace rather than improve there is not a huge a lot he can do aside try to improve the players we have which takes time.

Of course I would never want us to go down, however as a fan who pays £1000's into the club every year, I want to see us challenge rather than accept mid table mediocrity.

Each to their own, however I suspect you contribute nowt to the club, so don't expect a service (by service I mean excitement / entertainment and to be challenging the top clubs in the league as we have done for the past 3 season).

This is not only aimed at Puel as I have no doubt he is doing the best he can, the board and Les need to take a look at themselves.

As I have said previously, I wouldn't sack him and give him until Christmas time, I just have doubts about his ability and our ambition as a club.

Season ticket holder since early 80`s so wrong... again.

Why blab off about rather being in the championship then ?

I suggest you have a look at yourself re expections of a club our size operating in a sensible financial manner

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Challenge for what exactly?

The nearest we've got to winning anything was this season, not under Poch & not under Koeman. We were as far away from challenging for the league those seasons as we are this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puel needs to be backed with a decent striker this summer (I have doubts that Austin fits the style to be honest and JRod will be off).

In terms of placing this year, I think it is harder this year than ever. As so many 'big clubs' missed out on Europe this year they've had a real advantage last year they have less distractions etc. I think this explains the bigger than normal gap to the top bunch.

Definitely Puel in for me. Now if he could only sort out his interview style.

Puel needs to be backed with a decent striker this summer (I have doubts that Austin fits the style to be honest and JRod will be off).

In terms of placing this year, I think it is harder this year than ever. As so many 'big clubs' missed out on Europe this year they've had a real advantage last year they have less distractions etc. I think this explains the bigger than normal gap to the top bunch.

Have you forgotten about Gabbiadini?

I think Jay will be off, but we'll be left with Austin, Shane, Gabba and Gallagher. More than enough.

I think next season a couple of the big clubs will slip up. If Arsenal have a new manager, that might disrupt them, particularly if they are in the Europa League. Man Utd haven't really adapted to Sir Alex leaving. And Liverpool haven't done brilliantly this season, even with no European football. Everton won't be as competitive either. Hopefully we'll be able to take advantage

I was one of his fiercest critics earlier in the season.

But credit to him. He's changed the formation and has dealt with injuries to key players really well.

No way does he deserve the sack. I think he's doing well. It's great seeing homegrown players get a chance.

This post sums up most of my feelings towards Puel. He deserves full support until end of the season and then time to assess our position.

I see no reason why he shouldn't get top half this season now. If he does that then imo deserves another year unless we are in a relegation battle before christmas.

There's some random comments on this thread

Billionaire owner - irrelevant as said owner is not prepared to put any money into the club anymore. Puel has not been backed by her so why judge as if he has

Expecting us to challenge - we've come the closest since 2003 to winning a major trophy so we are challenging for honours

Expecting us to finish top 6 consistently - absolutely delusional

Our failure this year was that we should have easily got out of the Europa Group.

Puel has got the team playing better despite injuries to 3 key players (2 of which were impact caused on pitch so unfair to blame backroom staff).

Top 10 finish is a realistic result given our resources, Would love us to do more and get 7th or higher and I expect we will occasionally but it wont be every season.

I was raised on Nichol and Branfoot so this is positively great for me compared to those days!

Puel in for me, been a real change that we're starting to go down by a goal and actually have the belief to fight back even without our key players. Truly believe he is the man to take us forward, looking at the style of play, how we've adapted some of our squad fillers into first teamers has been brilliant to see, he really gives everyone a chance.

The summer as others have said is crucial, let's shift some dead wood and build a strong squad (and keep VVD) then I'm sure we'll push on, but even if we don't, top 8/9 and success stories like Romeu, Yoshida and Stephens along with some good games and a cup run would be fantastic.

Several players have improved this season, JWP Cedric Yoshida Romeo while McQueen and Stephens have made a mark and given good cover. That is our own key players growing. I guess that is why we chose a manager who coaches. i would have preferred someone with more PR savvy but I am now convinced the right decision was made and he will stay longer than most and build something good without breaking the bank

For me, the only time I can remember him absolutely getting the subs wrong was on Saturday against Bournemouth, but he learned from that error last night. You could see what he was trying to do on Saturday, to force the pace a little bit more to win the game, but it only succeeded in disrupting our flow when we were on top. Last night, we were absolutely battering them, so no need to change what we were doing.

Tactically, I think we've been fine all season, but let down by individuals not doing their jobs - either the midfielders not supporting the striker(s), or the strikers not finishing the many chances that have been created for them.

Also by Reed for his summer recruitment (lack of clinical striker) and the CB fiasco.

Also by Reed for his summer recruitment (lack of clinical striker) and the CB fiasco.

And also by our third goalpost in between the two metal goalposts (literally in between and rarely any further forward than that).

Have you forgotten about Gabbiadini?

I think Jay will be off, but we'll be left with Austin, Shane, Gabba and Gallagher. More than enough.

Yes, Austin has a great goal record but I don't think he is mobile enough for a Puel team. Shane is a great player who worries defences but he's goal shy. Gallagher is promising but unproven. My point is that if Gabbiadini is injured we've no one who gives confidence they can get goals - therefore I think we need another striker.

Greedy? Maybe :)

Yes, Austin has a great goal record but I don't think he is mobile enough for a Puel team. Shane is a great player who worries defences but he's goal shy. Gallagher is promising but unproven. My point is that if Gabbiadini is injured we've no one who gives confidence they can get goals - therefore I think we need another striker.

Greedy? Maybe :)

Not really.

No, but as I said, I have doubts that Puel will get us into the top 7.

With the right investment from above, we could attract someone who would keep us in the top 7. For example Koeman would have not gone to Everton is a) Les didn't try and force his hand b) We had offered him some re assurances around the transfer window c) Offered him a salary he couldn't refuse.

Why would we offer Koeman a salary he couldn't refuse when with the European schedule we had, he'd probably have us in the exact same place now as Puel has, except without a Cup Final and with no idea who McQueen and Sims are?

FWIW I think the run of big clubs to play and the soon-to-resume fixture pile-up that we can't cope with as well as said big clubs, will lead to us finishing 9th. Puel has been astonishingly unlucky this season, thickness of a post putting us out of Europe and costing us the EFL Cup, and ridiculous schedule with 4 months of back to back to back midweek games followed by basically 2 months off and then back to back to back games again. And we've managed this despite selling our captain and with five of our best players currently injured or suspended.

I'm expecting us to be in the top 6 and challenging for top 4 again next season without the European distractions - IF we can hold on to all of our players.

Edited by The9

I'm expecting us to be in the top 6 and challenging for top 4 again next season without the European distractions - IF we can hold on to all of our players.

Which two of these do you see us finishing above then?

Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Everton,

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I don't think it's possible to tell which teams we will finish above, but like last season, at least one of them will slip up.

After Ferguson left, Man Utd had a dreadful season, and the same thing could happen to Arsenal if Wenger goes, especially if they sell all their best players.

Liverpool showed last season that they can't handle all those games whilst Klopp wants them to play high energy football.

Everton will be nowhere near as competitive if they are hindered by a European campaign. And they'll have to adapt without Lukaku and Barkley.

Why would we offer Koeman a salary he couldn't refuse when with the European schedule we had, he'd probably have us in the exact same place now as Puel has, except without a Cup Final and with no idea who McQueen and Sims are?

FWIW I think the run of big clubs to play and the soon-to-resume fixture pile-up that we can't cope with as well as said big clubs, will lead to us finishing 9th. Puel has been astonishingly unlucky this season, thickness of a post putting us out of Europe and costing us the EFL Cup, and ridiculous schedule with 4 months of back to back to back midweek games followed by basically 2 months off and then back to back to back games again. And we've managed this despite selling our captain and with five of our best players currently injured or suspended.

This

• 3 weeks later...
In Southampton's 132 year history...

- Only 14 times in the top 10 of English football

- Only 6 major cup finals

In his first season Puel is currently 9th (with games in hand) and was responsible for reaching one of those 6 Saints cup finals.

C8rW6prVwAI6UKa.jpg

I know the league is very tight around us, but we should really at the very least finish 9th, if we beat West Brom on Saturday we have an outside chance of getting 8th.

The club aren't going to sack him ffs! The doom-mongers and trolls on this forum are getting beyond a joke now! :mcinnes:

bump

Why?

Everything in the opening post of this thread is still the case.

TBF the 'we're in the top half'' ''we're 9th'' is pretty thin at the moment, as alluded to in another thread...one bad week of results, just one, and we are 16th. That would look pretty pathetic tbh.

Don't think he should go, not one of those knee-jerk fans. But we need to see something in these final games to push us to a top half finish and raise the feeling ahead of next season. I still cannot remember a manager who has had such a 'meh' response within the fan base, no one has fully taken to him.

You can tell the fans are utterly uninspired by him as we are at the end of the season and there isn't a song for him. Not even the awful 'Claude Puel's red and white army'.

I know this is quite a small point, but yeah...it does kind of illustrate how the fan base is totally meh for him. It's not really his fault that he's not charismatic, but it doesn't help. I cannot remember the last time we didn't have a 'song' for a manager over the course of a season.

Big summer for him and the club. Hopefully we can start the season next year, just feel like I want this one over and done with.

TBF the 'we're in the top half'' ''we're 9th'' is pretty thin at the moment, as alluded to in another thread...one bad week of results, just one, and we are 16th. That would look pretty pathetic tbh.

Don't think he should go, not one of those knee-jerk fans. But we need to see something in these final games to push us to a top half finish and raise the feeling ahead of next season. I still cannot remember a manager who has had such a 'meh' response within the fan base, no one has fully taken to him.

hand on heart, do you really think we will finish top half? really?

14th or 15th for me.......at best. We still have to play united, Arsenal and liverpool. Boro is away and are down, so that should be at least a point and god knows against stoke. Reckon we have 4 points left in us MAX

Just find it weird how people can say with a straight face that he has done a great job and no one else could do better.

14th or 15th for me.......at best. We still have to play united, Arsenal and liverpool. Boro is away and are down, so that should be at least a point and god knows against stoke. Reckon we have 4 points left in us MAX

Just find it weird how people can say with a straight face that he has done a great job and no one else could do better.

The middle of the road teams have all been **** this year, which is why we're all bunched up together. I think we'd get top half with 45+ points, so beat Stoke get something from Boro away.

I'd like to see us take on one of the big sides at home though. Actually, I just want to see us take on anyone at home. Just a goal, it's all I ask for.

• 3 weeks later...

Update please Batman?

Update please Batman?

I stand by what I said. Only difference, our points total would not normally have us finish 8th

I believe we will be in genuine relegation battle under him should he stay. He has an array of attacking talent yet is a woeful manager in setting up an attacking threat.

No Batman, what is weird is that despite your ability to be wrong about everything, you still make dumb predictions with a straight face.

I wish people would stop sighting 8th as an achievement and a reason why we should all be dancing around in our underwear.

People need to look beyond that. 6 points from 17th, 15 points from 7th. I think that says it all.

It's a very, very, poor 8th position. Nothing to celebrate.

He thought we'd get 4 more points, we ended up with 5.

Over the last couple of seasons 46 points would have you finishing 13th, Puel has been very fortunate that such a low points total got you into 8th this year.

You can look at this another way: Top 6 were smashing them up, soaking up all them points. 7th was doing a decent job, leaving the rest to struggle. And we were the best of the rest.

When the top 6 are firing we will not keep up with them. Sorry, but we wont. We might get the odd chance of top 6 when one of the big rich boys screws up badly, but realistically if you want top 4 or 6 each year go support a different team.

I wish people would stop sighting 8th as an achievement and a reason why we should all be dancing around in our underwear.

People need to look beyond that. 6 points from 17th, 15 points from 7th. I think that says it all.

It's a very, very, poor 8th position. Nothing to celebrate.

Tbf what else have the Puel in crew got? They are drowning and Puel really hasn't helped them.

The only redeeming part of Puel is the 8th spot finish.

So few "Puel in" peeps left now, suspect the last few just like to be different. Even MLG deserted the sinking ship

Tbf what else have the Puel in crew got? They are drowning and Puel really hasn't helped them.

The only redeeming part of Puel is the 8th spot finish.

So few "Puel in" peeps left now, suspect the last few just like to be different. Even MLG deserted the sinking ship

As the terrace song goes, "Your support is ******* sh*t".

As the terrace song goes, "Your support is ******* sh*t".

Surely wanting / demanding / expecting the best for my club and not settling for mediocrity is a positive fan attribute? Why would any "fan" be happy to play badly?

When did; ambition / hope / passion = sh*t fan

While accepting anything = superfan?

I might start a 'Puel Undecided' thread. Considering the injuries to key players, a lesser quality squad than previous seasons & forwards/midfielders who can't hit a barn door he could count himself a bit unlucky to get the boot. It has been dire at times recently though. Unfortunately Puel's lost most of the fans & if he's lost the dressing room too he's a goner.

You can look at this another way: Top 6 were smashing them up, soaking up all them points. 7th was doing a decent job, leaving the rest to struggle. And we were the best of the rest.

When the top 6 are firing we will not keep up with them. Sorry, but we wont. We might get the odd chance of top 6 when one of the big rich boys screws up badly, but realistically if you want top 4 or 6 each year go support a different team.

This was exactly the stated objective in one of Kruger's messages a couple of seasons ago. The club realise that they can't compete with the big 6 / 7 clubs in terms of revenue and wages so the best option is to be the best of the rest and be ready to capitalise when the big boys slip up. That happened last season when both Chelsea and Liverpool 'failed', but hasn't this season.