Puel In

Matthew Le God

This was exactly the stated objective in one of Kruger's messages a couple of seasons ago. The club realise that they can't compete with the big 6 / 7 clubs in terms of revenue and wages so the best option is to be the best of the rest and be ready to capitalise when the big boys slip up. That happened last season when both Chelsea and Liverpool 'failed', but hasn't this season.

Cobblers! We're in it to win it or why bother?

BBC end of term report...

Solid if unspectacular from the Saints, although deservedly reached Wembley and were on the rough end of poor decisions when losing to Manchester United in the EFL Cup final.

Manager Claude Puel was a low-key figure and occasionally unconvincing but forward Manolo Gabbiadini looks a good signing. Can they keep defender Virgil van Dijk? And will Puel even stay? Can they realistically expect to be doing better?

McNulty's pre-season prediction: 12th

What he said: "Expect another solid season but not another top six."

Managerial mark: Claude Puel - 6/10

Stat: Southampton have the second-youngest starting XIs in the league behind Tottenham, with an average of 26 years 169 days old

Sounds a lot more balanced a look than some of the rabids on here...I do think it will be difficult for him to stay on now as the crowd have turned against him but this is no Branfoot situation (and I did want him out) ...ambition is fine for the club but some of our 'support' do seem to have a warped sense of entitlement that we should do better than 8th and a Cup final. Also a lack of appreciation of the difficulties in losing key players for long periods.

Bring on next season - I'd be happy, but now, surprised, if we start it with Puel.

Solid if unspectacular from the Saints, although deservedly reached Wembley and were on the rough end of poor decisions when losing to Manchester United in the EFL Cup final.

Manager Claude Puel was a low-key figure and occasionally unconvincing but forward Manolo Gabbiadini looks a good signing. Can they keep defender Virgil van Dijk? And will Puel even stay? Can they realistically expect to be doing better?

Stat: Southampton have the second-youngest starting XIs in the league behind Tottenham, with an average of 26 years 169 days old

Sounds a lot more balanced a look than some of the rabids on here...I do think it will be difficult for him to stay on now as the crowd have turned against him but this is no Branfoot situation (and I did want him out) ...ambition is fine for the club but some of our 'support' do seem to have a warped sense of entitlement that we should do better than 8th and a Cup final. Also a lack of appreciation of the difficulties in losing key players for long periods.

Bring on next season - I'd be happy, but now, surprised, if we start it with Puel.

Yes, but it is a Nicholl situation.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les Reed strikes me as a man who doesn't like to admit he's in the wrong. And in an interview a little while ago, he said that when a manager is fired it actually shows that those who appointed him did a bad job. I don't think therefore that Reed would sack Puel just because a few fans are grumbling. Surely they knew what style of football Claude played before he joined, so our performances of late should either not be a surprise, or it's because the players aren't good enough. Neither of which would merit a firing.

Therefore, unless there's been a notable lack of season ticket sales and there is pressure from the board, I can only think that if Reed pulls the trigger on Claude it's because there are problems behind the scenes that we don't know about (apart from the odd ITK rumour). And if that's the case, then it's hard to justify keeping him on. Especially now Moyes is available.

Ok, that very last bit was a joke.

I reckon we should keep him, just to **** off some of the ****s on here...

Does it annoy you that we were right about Puel?

Does being right mean being a ****?

Anyway.....

I'm out for the summer. ****enberg, ****man, St ****y, ****pine, Mr **** etc are going to be more unbearable than ever.

Weren't you "out for the summer"?

Are you going to continue posting now afterall? Maybe just to **** off some of the ****s on here maybe?

#dramaqueen

I have only watched the Sky edit of the game but in that we played slick and attractive football. Redmond seemed to be very decent. The only real problem was we didn't get enough players in the box.

jack has yet another opportunity at the back of the box when the ball came to him and again it skewed in the wrong directt

Yeah who needs goals anyway?

6th lowest scorers in the prem, 5 of the last 6 games with no goals, 17 goals at home all season (2nd worst), 4th worst home points tally.

The final position masks a very dull league campaign.

Anyway.....

Are you going to continue posting now afterall? Maybe just to **** off some of the ****s on here maybe?

#dramaqueen

What exactly were you right about? It's not about being right or wrong, its simply a matter of opinion.

Does it annoy you that others differ from yours?

Anyway...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

Is not about being right or wrong

For a few it is. Some are even 'clever' enough to plant seeds on both sides of an argument so that can refer back to either at a later date and play their 'told you so' card...

I have only watched the Sky edit of the game but in that we played slick and attractive football. Redmond seemed to be very decent. The only real problem was we didn't get enough players in the box.

jack has yet another opportunity at the back of the box when the ball came to him and again it skewed in the wrong directt

But we've been failing to get enough men into the box for a long time. Puel should have addressed the problem by now.

Over the course of the season Puel has had more than enough time to imprint his style and ideas on this squad, if what we are seeing on the pitch is any sort of reflection of that I find it incomprehensible as to why anyone would want him to stay.

A dull, turgid passing game with few shots on target, isolated strikers and vulnerable back line is a recipe for disaster in this league. If we had finished on 46 points last season that would have been 13th, just above Watford. Anyone think that's acceptable given the targets the club have set?

Perform like this again next season and it's a distinct possibility that we could get dragged into the relegation fight. Given the investment in the squad and the resources available, that is something this club shouldn't even have to consider.

Over the course of the season Puel has had more than enough time to imprint his style and ideas on this squad, if what we are seeing on the pitch is any sort of reflection of that I find it incomprehensible as to why anyone would want him to stay.

A dull, turgid passing game with few shots on target, isolated strikers and vulnerable back line is a recipe for disaster in this league. If we had finished on 46 points last season that would have been 13th, just above Watford. Anyone think that's acceptable given the targets the club have set?

Perform like this again next season and it's a distinct possibility that we could get dragged into the relegation fight. Given the investment in the squad and the resources available, that is something this club shouldn't even have to consider.

That was last season, why quote totally irrelevant figures - he wasn't manager last season. We finished 8th - if we perform like it again next season - we could do the same. Or do you think that all of those teams that finished behind us this season will all improve and we will be the only ones to regress. What do you think?

That was last season, why quote totally irrelevant figures - he wasn't manager last season. We finished 8th - if we perform like it again next season - we could do the same. Or do you think that all of those teams that finished behind us this season will all improve and we will be the only ones to regress. What do you think?

I guess it depends how many of our decent players leave this summer, and if we replace them with mediocre players as we did last close season. We do need to clear some dead wood out, and get better quality in.

Yes, but it is a Nicholl situation.

Sounds like it. Here's a Wikipedia quote:

"Nicholl...kept the Saints in the First Division but despite having players of the calibre of Danny and Rod Wallace, Alan Shearer and Matthew Le Tissier in his squad, he tended to be too cautious."

Sounds a bit like this season. Ok, we don't have Shearer, Rodney & LeTiss, but we do/did have Gabbi, Redmond, JWP, OR, Bertrand, VvD, Cedric. These are quality players (scorer, dribbler, passer, tackler, wingback, defender, runner) who should be scaring opposition teams.

With JRod, Austin, Long, Hoj, Sims, Tadic, etc on the sidelines, surely we should have a top quality team? But the players seemed lacking in too many areas that matter (ie. in attack).

Too cautious?

Yeah who needs goals anyway?

6th lowest scorers in the prem, 5 of the last 6 games with no goals, 17 goals at home all season (2nd worst), 4th worst home points tally.

The final position masks a very dull league campaign.

Definitely the bit that is being glossed over.

I am happy with 8th and a cup final, who wouldn't be, but it is the underlying problems with attack throughout the season which are of concern. Puel did have an entire season to remedy them and sure he did have injuries, and I am impressed with his use of academy players (especially Stephens first team performances - hope this continues next season) however I am in two minds about what to do next. Perhaps he does just need another preseason and some more signings and a chance for the other signings from this year to settle in a bit more. Plus, next season we won't have such a bad schedule thanks to European football (which was also disappointing this season overall).

I would say, keep him, and review again at Christmas. I think his cup final achievement has earned him that much. We also don't want to start a reputation for impatience, as this turns away prospective managers. If we have struggled up to Christmas then I think that is fair game to think about replacement then.

That said, I suppose if there was a very attractive manager who was interested in us now and we could take advantage of that early this summer, there is also an argument to being a bit more ruthless to try and regain some of our momentum from the recent seasons. Hence the dilemma. But I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to change managers unless there is a stellar alternative.

Either way, its going to be a very important summer and some difficult decisions will need to be made, with less obvious answers.

Anyway.....

#dramaqueen

Let's all accept that you know best !

So Puel goes, who exactly do you suggest replaces him, how long a contract would you offer and are you prepared to back him ?

It's incredibly easy to disparage the efforts of management at all levels within SFC but if you were in charge, pray tell us (in advance) precisely what should be done ??

Anyway.....

#dramaqueen

Hahahahaha, looks like Ottawa got the better of you. You shouldn't have risen to the bait Heisy babes, I thought you were better than that.