Puel In

Matthew Le God

In Southampton's 132 year history...

- Only 14 times in the top 10 of English football

- Only 6 major cup finals

In his first season Puel is currently 9th (with games in hand) and was responsible for reaching one of those 6 Saints cup finals.

C8rW6prVwAI6UKa.jpg

I know the league is very tight around us, but we should really at the very least finish 9th, if we beat West Brom on Saturday we have an outside chance of getting 8th.

The club aren't going to sack him ffs! The doom-mongers and trolls on this forum are getting beyond a joke now! :mcinnes:

Very much in for me.We play much better creative passing football than under Keoman. We've just been awful in front of goal.How many games should we have won at a canter this season. We lost our best striker, replaced him with an even better striker only for him to get injured too.We lost the best CB in the league. Yet we're still on course for a top ten finish and a cup final. Most teams would struggle losing their 1st choice striker and then his replacement, and a world class CB.

You can't blame Puel for Long & JROD being so poor in front of goal time & time again.You could argue maybe he should drop them but for who? Personally I would be looking at one of our academy lads or even try a CB up front let's face it they couldn't be any worse.

I think it was right to take a chance on JRod but unfortunately he looks done.Long is just Long great as short term cover and late sub.A nightmare for tired defenders.

Agree with the general sentiment here and was arguing the same to the Puel out brigade earlier in the season when we were struggling.

With a small squad we were always going to struggle with the thursday/sunday schedule and sure enough we did. We have also had more than our fair share of injuries to key players and lost 2 international strikers over the summer but despite all that, many of us could see that we were playing well and that things would improve.

If we can keep this squad together, something that looks more possible than at any time since we came up, and if we get a bit more luck on injuries, and considering a kinder fixture schedule next season, I think we could have a really strong season.

My doubts are subsiding about his tactics, but I have concerns about his substitutions.

However, the fact that he has no decent options and the cupboard has been threadbare on occasions is down to Reed.

As I said at the weekend, I'd certainly give him more time, but I fret about the summer transfer activity.

My doubts are subsiding about his tactics, but I have concerns about his substitutions.

For me, the only time I can remember him absolutely getting the subs wrong was on Saturday against Bournemouth, but he learned from that error last night. You could see what he was trying to do on Saturday, to force the pace a little bit more to win the game, but it only succeeded in disrupting our flow when we were on top. Last night, we were absolutely battering them, so no need to change what we were doing.

Tactically, I think we've been fine all season, but let down by individuals not doing their jobs - either the midfielders not supporting the striker(s), or the strikers not finishing the many chances that have been created for them.

For me, the only time I can remember him absolutely getting the subs wrong was on Saturday against Bournemouth, but he learned from that error last night. You could see what he was trying to do on Saturday, to force the pace a little bit more to win the game, but it only succeeded in disrupting our flow when we were on top. Last night, we were absolutely battering them, so no need to change what we were doing.

Tactically, I think we've been fine all season, but let down by individuals not doing their jobs - either the midfielders not supporting the striker(s), or the strikers not finishing the many chances that have been created for them.

I agree Steve. Puel is the thinking man's (and woman's!) manager. I notice a huge divergence between the vocal few on here versus the folk that actually get to the games home and away....

Agree with the general sentiment here and was arguing the same to the Puel out brigade earlier in the season when we were struggling.

With a small squad we were always going to struggle with the thursday/sunday schedule and sure enough we did. We have also had more than our fair share of injuries to key players and lost 2 international strikers over the summer but despite all that, many of us could see that we were playing well and that things would improve.

If we can keep this squad together, something that looks more possible than at any time since we came up, and if we get a bit more luck on injuries, and considering a kinder fixture schedule next season, I think we could have a really strong season.

We've not played on a Thursday since 8th December.... We've (Gabbi aside) not exactly set the world alight since.

We've looked better since changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 (credit to Puel for this), but this come very late in the season.

I'll give him until Christmas (unless we have a horrific start to the season), but I have doubts he is the man to take us to consistent top 6 finishes. A real shame as it could possibly be 2 wasted seasons.

FWIW I would not consider a top 10 finish a success as the majority of people on here seem to. Targets for every season should be European qualification and/or cup final/win (finish top 6 final okay, if not, should be winning a cup).

I fret about the summer transfer activity.

Please promise that you'll never stop fretting about our summer transfer activity. Your close season fret levels tend to be inversely proportional to the detrimental effect our summer transfer activity has on the season that follows ;)

I was fine with the subs against Bournemouth we were on top and Puel was going for the win can't fault him for that you could see what he was trying to do.

We've not played on a Thursday since 8th December.... We've (Gabbi aside) not exactly set the world alight since.

We've looked better since changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 (credit to Puel for this), but this come very late in the season.

I'll give him until Christmas (unless we have a horrific start to the season), but I have doubts he is the man to take us to consistent top 6 finishes. A real shame as it could possibly be 2 wasted seasons.

FWIW I would not consider a top 10 finish a success as the majority of people on here seem to. Targets for every season should be European qualification and/or cup final/win (finish top 6 final okay, if not, should be winning a cup).

I think you're going to a very miserable saints fan for the foreseeable future I doubt there are any managers who could make saints "consistent top 6 finishers" or have us winning a cup if we don't finish in the top six.

Edited by doddisalegend

Have to admit I thought he was out of his depth before christmas, the way we kept chopping and changing, the way we seemed to play not to lose rather than to win the game. Lots of possession, some decent passing, with no end product.

Watching us now the football is good, the problem appears to be the final 3rd where our players run out of ideas, this was alleviated by Gabbiadini somewhat, now he's out injured we've reverted to the same lack of ideas, last night was the exception with Yoshida and Ward Prowse scoring.

I personally think he's been let down by the club, when he has the tools we're good, without them we struggle, I think it's a credit to him getting us this far, having to play academy players during the season who have all improved along the way. If we can keep this team together and add to it during the summer I think next season will be exciting. So over to you Les....... sort it out

I thought that he'd be gone by last Christmas....can't believe anything that you read on here.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think your going to a very miserable saints fan for the foreseeable future I doubt there are any managers who could make saints "consistent top 6 finishers" or have us winning a cup if we don't finish in the top six.

Okay, more realistically top 7, who our previous manager who had us finish 7th and 6th in his 2 seasons in charge and has since led his new club to 7th (possibly top 5). I certainly wasn't miserable for those 2 seasons.

Okay, more realistically top 7, who our previous manager who had us finish 7th and 6th in his 2 seasons in charge and has since led his new club to 7th (possibly top 5). I certainly wasn't miserable for those 2 seasons.

If you seriously thought a) that manager would stay forever and b) that set us up to finish top 6 or 7 consistently forever from now on then good luck.

If we finish 9th or 10th this season, that still means 3 out of 4 seasons we've finished top 8 which is pretty consistent.

Or does consistently in your world mean never, ever finish below 7th ever again?

As was said, prepare yourself for a miserable future as a Saints fan if you think that was ever likely.

Top 5 ..really ??

And where do you think they will be next season without Lukaku...

If you seriously thought a) that manager would stay forever and b) that set us up to finish top 6 or 7 consistently forever from now on then good luck.

If we finish 9th or 10th this season, that still means 3 out of 4 seasons we've finished top 8 which is pretty consistent.

Or does consistently in your world mean never, ever finish below 7th ever again?

As was said, prepare yourself for a miserable future as a Saints fan if you think that was ever likely.

No, but as I said, I have doubts that Puel will get us into the top 7.

With the right investment from above, we could attract someone who would keep us in the top 7. For example Koeman would have not gone to Everton is a) Les didn't try and force his hand b) We had offered him some re assurances around the transfer window c) Offered him a salary he couldn't refuse.

Top 5 ..really ??

And where do you think they will be next season without Lukaku...

I assume you don't look at the table? They are 3 points behind Arsenal in 4th, like I said, it's a possibility.

Who knows where they will be without Lukaku, I would say it depends completely on recruitment. However it's irrelevant, they've had Lukaku since 2013, it's the managers job to get the best out of the squad / players he has, which I would suggest Koeman does.

I'm not saying that I want Koeman back or in fact that we should have kept him, just pointing out it is completely possible to finish in the Top 7 consistently, with the right manager.

I assume you don't look at the table? They are 3 points behind Arsenal in 4th, like I said, it's a possibility.

Who knows where they will be without Lukaku, I would say it depends completely on recruitment. However it's irrelevant, they've had Lukaku since 2013, it's the managers job to get the best out of the squad / players he has, which I would suggest Koeman does.

I'm not saying that I want Koeman back or in fact that we should have kept him, just pointing out it is completely possible to finish in the Top 7 consistently, with the right manager.

Of course it is a possiblity as is our chances of finishing higher in the coming seasons with Puel but you won`t like to consider that.

Koeman has had the same amount of time at Everton as Puel has had here so not really a clear indication of long term success or failure is there.

It can go either way for both of them, so as you say its a possibility

You can't moan about trolls if you're going to create a thread like this after every win. It's just as limiting to an actual discussion as the overly negative trolls. What's wrong with discussing a managers performance, the good, bad and what we need for the future?

Seems to have just become a binary troll off between the usual negatives and a couple of over the top positives who struggle to handle anyone being remotely critical of the club or manager whatsoever.

Puel's been up and down, frustrating, hampered by some injuries, but ultimately mixed. Can understand why some would be cautious, disappointed, or some might be optimistic.

Wherever we finish, I'm mainly concerned by the number of players performing at lower level's than before. Maybe it's just their fault, it will all come together next season. Let's hope right.

What utter ******. Performing at a lower level! The only ones performing at a lower level,are our strikers which is why we have struggled at times.

Soares, yoshida, vvd, mcqueen, jwp, redmond, stephens.

Only ones who have struggled are Forster, long, Rodriguez and to a lesser degree Davis.

Creating chances this season has not been the problem - finishing them has.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How about everton didn't have any European games to contend with and no cup runs. So, yes they'll finish 7th and then have an early pre season.

And everton don't have a misfiring strikeforce.

With good incoming players in the summer we could have a very strong season next year

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Puel will be our manager going into next season there's no doubt about that. However, many could argue that we would do better next season if we had Marco Silva (out of contract in a few weeks) as our boss but I don't think our board would be ready to do something as radical as get him in.

Puel will be our manager going into next season there's no doubt about that. However, many could argue that we would do better next season if we had Marco Silva (out of contract in a few weeks) as our boss but I don't think our board would be ready to do something as radical as get him in.

What is it with Marco Silva and people on this forum? Is it because he looks hip and young? To be fair, he's had a great impact at Hull...but you're suggesting we ditch our manager, who is only starting to get his idea's into this team, in place of a manger who has done well for just 6 months.

Knee-jerk in both ways.

You do realise with Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton in the same division and competing for the same honours that achieving that season in season out on our budget is night on impossible. We should be winning the odd cup and going on decent runs in both the cups and league but to do it consistently as some are demanding is ****ing lunacy!

Your expectations are seriously skewed. You're supporting the wrong club if you think we should be doing what we did last year consistently. Most level headed fans realise that last season was amazing - more of a freak than not.....obviously, we can still fight for it every season, but it's wrong to believe that's where we need to be aiming every year as a 'minimum'.

You're going to be seriously fed up if your expectations are that high.

Puel gets a lot of crap and by and large we have played good football and created a lot of chances - not having Austin/Gabby to finish them off was always going to be problematic.

Next season - fully fit squad, the world is our oyster.

What is it with Marco Silva and people on this forum? Is it because he looks hip and young? To be fair, he's had a great impact at Hull...but you're suggesting we ditch our manager, who is only starting to get his idea's into this team, in place of a manger who has done well for just 6 months.

Knee-jerk in both ways.

I couldn't believe that he has not lost a home game in 40 matches....he must have something. I am not saying I want him to replace Puel either :-)

I couldn't believe that he has not lost a home game in 40 matches....he must have something. I am not saying I want him to replace Puel either :-)

He was managing Olympiakos though. Celtic haven't lost a game home or away in the league this season but I still don't want Brendan!

I was fine with the subs against Bournemouth we were on top and Puel was going for the win can't fault him for that you could see what he was trying to do.

Yeah, as I said, I could see what he was trying to do, but it obviously backfired and we got away with a draw really - I'm not convinced we can play Boufal and Tadic in the same side with the system we're most comfortable with.

Last night's game proved that when you're on top, you don't necessarily need to change the personnel to force the issue.

In! For now.

Need to try for 8th.

Team selection has been questionable at times and his regime/backroom team have overseen a disproportionately high number of injuries this season.

On the positives, he has a striker now and performance impacted straight away. He has shown flexibility in formation (finally) now too.

6 out of 10 for me so far. Finish 8th it will be 8 out of 10

He was managing Olympiakos though. Celtic haven't lost a game home or away in the league this season but I still don't want Brendan!

Hull haven't lost a home game under him and its with 3 sides....Celtic are in a one horse race you can't compare that - we have an 87 year old still playing at Walking Football at Eastleigh he could get a game for Brendan.

Generally happy with the manager as this season was always going to be one of consolidation. A weakened squad, Europe, injuries, a cup-run and behind-the-scenes uncertainty have all dealt Puel a difficult hand.

That said, it would be nice to see us go on a run and put together a string of convincing performances which would give me much more confidence about the future.

The jury is still out in this regard. Most of our games depend on v.v. fine lines which give both sides of the Puel in/out debate ammo. Those who can't see the case for the other side seem to be equally partial and OTT.

Edited by shurlock

Claude deserves time for all the reasons above. It's the board and Mr Reed that should be under serious scrutiny this summer. Last summer's window was very poor and then we have the CB farce from January. A good summer of recruitment and not too many departures and we will have a top class side. Won't hold my breath on the recruitment part though!

You do realise with Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton in the same division and competing for the same honours that achieving that season in season out on our budget is night on impossible. We should be winning the odd cup and going on decent runs in both the cups and league but to do it consistently as some are demanding is ****ing lunacy!

Exactly my point - Everton have since over taken us.

But I can't wait to lift that 10th place trophy at the end of the season.

If all we can expect is finishing up to 10th place every year then I would rather be in the championship.

If all we can expect is finishing up to 10th place every year then I would rather be in the championship.

Let's see how they do next season without Lukaku and having to play EL games away in Russia on a Thursday for half the season.

I think we would all rather you supported a team in the Championship - how about Aston Villa? They have a good trophy winning record.

A Puel IN thread chucked out on the back of 3 wins in the last 9 :?

Seems to me that Puels future successes depend on a lot of strict variables "A perfect storm" players need to be in top form, take all or most chances, needs a full squad, minimum amount of games, keeper needs to save everything and our strikers need to be in prolific form + the referee also needs to favor us?

And the above checklist is from his biggest supporters!?

Saying that I was very critical of Puel earlier in the season - I complained about the OTT rotation, his delivery and repetition in interviews, Evertons 30+ point swing, the predictability and pace of our play, form against the big 6 sides, the form (lack of) of some players, playing players out of position (notably Redmond), the diamond, our performances and exit from Europe, sideways passing and some of the horrendous performances he's delivered (HBSx2, Inter away, Liverpool home, Prague away, Palace away, Stoke away, Spurs home, WBA home, Everton away, Norwich away, Burnley away, Arsenal home, Hull away, Swansea away, WHU home and AFCB home at the weekend)

I’ve also praised where I can – The EFL cup run, the cup final performance, the reduction of rotation, now playing Redmond in his natural position, some performances (Last night (2nd half), WHU away, Inter home, Arsenal away, Everton home, Watford away)

My concern is he is still a BIG gamble – we could easily waste another season making excuses for him, just like our results our performances are very inconsistent - we still lack any playing identity, there is no imagination or clever ideas evident – just all very bulk standard, almost old school. Sometimes it works a lot of the time it doesn’t. We win just 1 in 3 under Puel.

Could another manager with exactly the same resources do more – IMHO 100% yes, could we do worse than Puel – 100% yes

Let's see how they do next season without Lukaku and having to play EL games away in Russia on a Thursday for half the season.

Stick my neck on the line, and hope to be wrong, but I bet you they finish ahead of us.

In Southampton's 132 year history...

- Only 14 times in the top 10 of English football

- Only 6 major cup finals

In his first season Puel is currently 9th (with games in hand) and was responsible for reaching one of those 6 Saints cup finals.

C8rW6prVwAI6UKa.jpg

I know the league is very tight around us, but we should really at the very least finish 9th, if we beat West Brom on Saturday we have an outside chance of getting 8th.

The club aren't going to sack him ffs! The doom-mongers and trolls on this forum are getting beyond a joke now! :mcinnes:

Of these how many were we billionaire owned?

Ridiculous comparison.

:mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

Nope, 9th after Saints have played 29 games. Plus have key players like van Dijk & Austin missing for a significant time.

You see 9th

I see -

14 points behind 7th (Everton)

7 points behind 8th (WBA)

Joint with Watford

3 points off WHU in 15th

2 ahead of Burnley + AFCB

Winning 1 in 3

Bigger picture mate, I would never celebrate a 9th /10th place finish. But understand some will and some (you) do

We are all different mate

Edited by Heisenberg

Puel has done a remarkable job, considering the squad options, huge amount of games, and injuries to key players.

Koeman last night would have resorted to getting everyone to lump the ball up to Pelle and hope for the best. It took bravery from Puel to stick to his guns and not change things.

Next season though, I do expect us to be higher up the table.

But you would be moaning if we didnt win it.. and if we did would you say, "i would rather be in the championship" ...course not

unless of course you want us to win it then be relegated the next season so we can win it again.... :lol:

I was one of his fiercest critics earlier in the season.

But credit to him. He's changed the formation and has dealt with injuries to key players really well.

No way does he deserve the sack. I think he's doing well. It's great seeing homegrown players get a chance.