WBA (away) Build-up Thread

SuperSAINT

Very tricky game. Fingers-crossed Gabbi is fit for the trip.

No Romeu or Davo either?

Physio room website says they have ZERO injuries (?!)

According to the Daily Star, the players are complaining how they are coming in for a muscle rubs and ending up missing 4 matches for bad injuries.

Not a happy hunting ground. I go mainly for beer at the Wellington in Brum and the Indian BBQ at The Vine.

But I do remember Lallana getting his first Saints goal there to save us a point.

Hope Davis is fit, otherwise we're really struggling at DM. He had a great game last night and is very influential.

I guess PEH will start, if not with Davis then could be anyone's guess. Reed? JWP? (Would rather leave him where he is), Stephens? Caceres?

Really glad we got the three points last night. Wouldn't like to be going into this one anxiously looking over our shoulders.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

According to the Daily Star, the players are complaining how they are coming in for a muscle rubs and ending up missing 4 matches for bad injuries.

I'd be embarrassed to admit to reading the Daily Star. I think it's safe to assume that report is about as accurate as any of the posters on here. Most likely that was written ages ago and then they insert a team name based on who's got the best injury list.

Forster

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

JEP PEH

Long Tadic Redmond

Gabba

I think we'all struggle defensively without Romeu and Davis so I'd like to see us go with an attacking line up and try to outscore them.

Subs: Hassen, Pied, Caceres, Clasie, Reed, Sims, JRod

As an aside, the number of injuries and suspensions to key players is ridiculous; VVD, Romeu, Davis, Boufal, Austin (plus Bertrand and Gabba may not be fit either). We'll do well to get anything against a decent WBA side.

Believe it or not, away to a team above us in the table and with more injuries than them, we're favourites on Betfair. Saints 2.62, WBA 3.05

Rightly so. WBA have somewhat taken advantage of a few under par teams this season.

Squad quality wise they should be below Stoke, Us, WHU, Leicester and probably Palace. They were 14th last season and probably can't believe the luck right now.

Everton samsies.... Some of the top 6 have underperformed allowing them a chance to steal a top 6 spot.

Based on several assumptions (i.e. Bertrand not injured, Davis out injured, Gabbiadini back from injury), I'd go with...

Forster

Bertrand

Yoshida

Stephens

Cedric

Clasie

JWP

Hojbjerg

Tadic

Redmond

JRod

Subs: Hassan, McQueen, Caceres, Reed, Sims/Boufal, Long, Gabbiadini

Southampton FC‏ @SouthamptonFC

Claude Puel will be without #SaintsFC's suspended @OriolRomeu, while @StevenDavis8 is a doubt with an ankle injury

Hopefully that means Bertrand is back ( no slight on McQueen who I thought was good last night) going to be a big ask to get anything playing Clasie and Hoj in the middle together.

Going to that pub with the curry house before the game, a few beers and a curry afterwards, and no doubt sh*tting through the eye of a needle on Sunday.

Will be tough to get anything from the game with our injuries and suspensions. Still, should be a good weekend.

Going to that pub with the curry house before the game, a few beers and a curry afterwards, and no doubt sh*tting through the eye of a needle on Sunday.

Will be tough to get anything from the game with our injuries and suspensions. Still, should be a good weekend.

If you want a table, get there early as it gets ridiculously busy.

Having been there a few times I'll be avoiding this year as I prefer a quieter boozer. From memory there's not a great deal around the stadium, so I may drink further out towards central Brum

WBA set piece danger going to be a major problem for us. Palace direct style caused us problems last night and we aint the biggest/toughest team to deal with ariel bombardment.

Midfield without Romeu and Davis is a big concern. PEH was woeful when he come on last night but tbf he is going to be ring rusty.

As a team we concede far too many freekics in our own third, cant do that against teams like WBA. That said Romeu is one of the worse culprits as much as he has been great for us this season.

WBA set piece danger going to be a major problem for us. Palace direct style caused us problems last night and we aint the biggest/toughest team to deal with ariel bombardment.

Midfield without Romeu and Davis is a big concern. PEH was woeful when he come on last night but tbf he is going to be ring rusty.

As a team we concede far too many freekics in our own third, cant do that against teams like WBA. That said Romeu is one of the worse culprits as much as he has been great for us this season.

I thought we coped pretty well considering the bald idiot with the whistle was happy for Bent "elbow" to smash into us and grapple everytime the ball went near him

but that is fat sam`s doing, he asks players to do this because sometimes it is let go but not as much as the this East fool let it pass on Wednesday

We could potentially go into this game without Van Dijk, Gabbiadini, Austin, Bertrand, Romeu - That is literally all of our best/most effective players haha. We really haven't had much luck on the injury front this season, so to be looking at 8th and having been in a cup final i'd say we've had a good season in reflection!

Going to be a big game, at least a draw needed to keep WBA in catching distance.

Definitely stick with the same attacking trio of long, Redmond and tadic as far as i'm concerned.

Midfield is obviously going to need changes especially if Davis is out. You'd think it would be Hojberg and Clasie based on recent benches rather than Reed.

Bertrand back in at the back if he's fit but otherwise keep the defence.

Play 442 Long and JRod up front go for it nothing to lose now. And no Clasie in sight please it will be real men against boys otherwise!

I'd play Clasie and Hojberg, both have something to prove !

Hopefully that means Bertrand is back ( no slight on McQueen who I thought was good last night) going to be a big ask to get anything playing Clasie and Hoj in the middle together.

Clearly Romeu is a big miss, but Clasie and Hoj can do the job despite lack of recent playing time. I'd be ok with Harry Reed in with Hoj. Reed seems to have paid a heavy price for one poor half. He has proved himself in games like this several times.

I feel like I should be more excited about this than I am..

he looks even more promising (a lot more) than Gaston

hopefully, this is all a bit start-stop and getting used to the league.......hopefully

then again, we may have bought a show pony

Boufal will come good. The problem is that he isn't made to be an impact sub, looks like he needs to work himself into a match. But he hasn't justified a starting place. So we probably need to wait for the inevitable injury to Redmond or Dusan.

Boufal will come good. The problem is that he isn't made to be an impact sub, looks like he needs to work himself into a match. But he hasn't justified a starting place. So we probably need to wait for the inevitable injury to Redmond or Dusan.

Boufal doesn't work hard enough... he can get away with that when he's going past 4 players & creating chances... less so when he's lacking confidence & not doing that.

Boufal doesn't work hard enough... he can get away with that when he's going past 4 players & creating chances... less so when he's lacking confidence & not doing that.

Funny, I read this a lot, but when he plays I usually see him make at least one or two lung-busting runs to try and win back possession, and that's just in the 10-15 minutes he's given at the end of the game. At the moment he's frustrating because he tries too much, not because he tries too little.