Atmosphere...

ImproveOurAtmosphere

I used to be a season ticket holder at saints, now only go to every game that isn't in the premier league (Europa, EFL and FA cup this season), mainly due to cost, but also due to lack of atmosphere. On it's day, the Northam can be good, so too the Itchen North, but the views from these areas are poor, given that 99% of the time we shoot towards the Chapel second half. It seems odd that we can have 28K fans at wembley making as much noise as possible, but at home games only about 3k actually make any noise. Safe standing would help, but is still a long way off in the future, but why not have a section in the Chapel where fans stand and make noise?? There is plenty of room toward the back of the stand for season tickets (e.g block 15). It would only take a few to start it off.

Yawn another thread started by someone who doesn't attend games anymore moaning that the atmosphere isn't as good as it used to be.

In the nicest way possible (and I do appreciate the issues with cost, No. of games, scheduling etc.) it really fecks me off when people **** and moan about the level of support given by those of us who pay good money and take the time and effort to support saints most/every week.

:)

I used to be a season ticket holder at saints, now only go to every game that isn't in the premier league (Europa, EFL and FA cup this season), mainly due to cost, but also due to lack of atmosphere. On it's day, the Northam can be good, so too the Itchen North, but the views from these areas are poor, given that 99% of the time we shoot towards the Chapel second half. It seems odd that we can have 28K fans at wembley making as much noise as possible, but at home games only about 3k actually make any noise. Safe standing would help, but is still a long way off in the future, but why not have a section in the Chapel where fans stand and make noise?? There is plenty of room toward the back of the stand for season tickets (e.g block 15). It would only take a few to start it off.

I was pleased to see that the Chapel kop did actually sing and chant a couple of times during the Palace game. If some of the singers tucked away in the corners of the away end, where nobody notices them, moved to the Chapel end next season, it would, of course, vastly improve the atmosphere and help the team.

I think we need to go full European ultras to really get the party going at SMS. Just imagine the Chapel looking like this

th?id=OIP.0OKbEabMwMX5Swj5QgBm4wEsDC&w=300&h=194&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

th?id=OIP._ZHW7El1GtuCkuWwRlmdngEsCn&w=300&h=167&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

need to be careful because I hear tartan blankets and flat caps are quite flammable and if you are really lucky you might even get to see some football in between the flares and smoke bombs....

Edited by doddisalegend

That's a great idea. I'll get both kids to sneak red smoke bombs in for the City game. I'm sure I've a couple of old balaclavas somewhere for added effect!

Balaclavas are so old school these Swedish ultras are the cutting edge of new football fashion

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/swedish-football-ultras-wear-niqabs-to-get-around-anti-hooligan-law-banning-face-masks/ar-BBztLPE?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=spartandhp

To the OP, ignore the sarcastic tossers.

You're right. I sit in the kingsland north and join in with whatever songs come my way but the atmosphere has taken a real downturn over this season.

I think it's mainly driven by the lack of half decent football during the season, but more importantly about NOT having many intense periods of attacking.

Fans need something to grab hold of... we're no different to anfield in that respect.

The atmosphere in league 1 was better.... but this season has been nutty.

Inter at home was one of the best ones ever, as was Wembley, but the normal games st SMS have been woeful.

Don't know what the answer is... we had 30k fans [emoji445] their hearts out at Wembley.. why they don't do it at SMS is a mystery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're right. I sit in the kingsland north and join in with whatever songs come my way but the atmosphere has taken a real downturn over this season.

I think it's mainly driven by the lack of half decent football during the season, but more importantly about NOT having many intense periods of attacking.

Fans need something to grab hold of... we're no different to anfield in that respect.

Inter at home was one of the best ones ever, as was Wembley, but the normal games st SMS have been woeful.

Don't know what the answer is... we had 30k fans [emoji445] their hearts out at Wembley.. why they don't do it at SMS is a mystery.

Probably down to the lack of goals! Before Weds it was 14 - a goal always gets the atmosphere going!

I think we need to go full European ultras to really get the party going at SMS. Just imagine the Chapel looking like this

th?id=OIP.0OKbEabMwMX5Swj5QgBm4wEsDC&w=300&h=194&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

th?id=OIP._ZHW7El1GtuCkuWwRlmdngEsCn&w=300&h=167&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

need to be careful because I here tartan blankets and flat caps are quite flammable and if you are really lucky you might even get to see some football in between the flares and smoke bombs....

Bloody cheeky bugger, there ain't no flat caps and blankets in the Chapel ............... yet!

You are getting us confused with the middle of the Kingsland where there is a risk of scalding if they haven't screwed the lid on the Thermos before nodding off.

The Chapel is quiet compared to the Northam and Itchen north, but it's full of folks who were the Northam in the 70's & 80's.

what you find happens is folks drop into a trance like state of being absorbed in the game. Especially as the quality of football has a little more finesse than it had in the '70s especially. It's hard to explain, I use to sit with the landlord of the Junction Pub, when we walked away from the game, Mrs JBS would often comment that me and him were on a different planet, we would hold a conversation about the game as it went on like we were somewhere else. She said it was quite surreal at times: I guess 95% of the time most folks around me are "somewhere else" during the game.

On the fipside the Northam isn't as noisy as it once was.

c'est la Vie

Same, I'm Kingsland North too and the atmosphere used to be really good but has been steadily declining over the last few years, very depressing.

The main problems imo are a)our lack of songs now (desperately need some new ones) and b) the demographics have changed. A few years ago we were surrounded by lads all standing and making noise, now it's all older people, women and hipster studenty types who show absolutely no interest in creating any atmosphere. Half of them look bored stiff most of the time and you wonder why they bother going.

Can't see things changing sadly.

There isn't a football ground in the country that has a better atmosphere now than it used to have (save Leicester last year). We're no different than anywhere else. Funny thing is, it's one thing the supporters can do something about, yet they just moan about others & lack of goals rather than do something about it. If you stop going because of a lack of atmosphere, you're not much of a supporter really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to have a season ticket in the kingsland north. I remember losing my sht with the northem because all that was happening was boos with the occasional we want Rupert out. I must have looked like the drunken seething nut job I was stood in a near empty stand ranting at a few hundred people. I was either going to get battered or get the crowd singing OWTS. Luckily for me it was the latter. Fk I was embarrassing. A group of lads near by use to bet on how long it would be before I berated the ref or lino.

As LD says it is actually something that only the fans can create.

Crowd just don't seem up for it. Nothing to really play for doesn't help, neither does the very loud PA system blaring out awful songs.

Really the biggest help would be installing safe standing in the chapel and announcing that as the new singing stand. Won't ever happen though.

I was at the Inter home game and Wembley but my only home league game this season was the first one (Watford at home), there's your answer.

I make all the noise.

But in all seriousness I agree, when I streamed the home games this season it seemed as if the atmosphere in the league (and league cup games before Liverpool) was really poor even for us.

Crowd just don't seem up for it. Nothing to really play for doesn't help, neither does the very loud PA system blaring out awful songs.

Really the biggest help would be installing safe standing in the chapel and announcing that as the new singing stand. Won't ever happen though.

Will we be having auditions ? ;)

Away support was fantastic today however.

Certainly was...few obvious points

- Saturday 3pm

- Easy to get to and not hugely expensive by train)

- We don't seem to have played much recently

- Great weather

- Winning.

All factors in an improved atmosphere, didn't really stop Saturday - thought it was very good indeed.

I think most if not all modern stadiums lack atmosphere, thank god we are not West Ham.

Wembley was a great atmosphere but that is a one off special occasion. Being back the Dell I say or try and capture some of what it had by making St Mary's more imposing.