Virgin sponsorship. Is it a con?

wessex saint

Surprised that there hasn't been more discontent about this.

The way I understand it is that virgin have subsidised away tickets so that every single away fan has paid 20 quid.

All saints fans have had no subsidy and st holders in equivalent parts of the ground pay 30 quid ( me included).

Granted.. they have subsidised away tickets for 2? Away games this season, but bottom line is they have unequivocally looked after away fans rather than saints fans.

It's obviously part of their marketing strategy to try and flog a few more subscriptions but it leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

Bottom line.. they sponsor saints. Should we not be the beneficiaries of any reduced tickets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They've 'thrown money at the club' as you say, but it doesnt sit right with me that they then spend more money on wooing away fans rather than giving saints fans some type of incentive.

In a sky subscriber... they've done nothing that encourages me to sign up for virgin instead.

And btw.. I don't begrudge £30 per game. Just wanna see our major sponsor to do something for US

They've 'thrown money at the club' as you say, but it doesnt sit right with me that they then spend more money on wooing away fans rather than giving saints fans some type of incentive.

I'm a sky subscriber... they've done nothing that encourages me to sign up for virgin instead.

And btw.. I don't begrudge £30 per game. Just wanna see our major sponsor to do something for US

Apologies. I forgot about the europa league subsidy.

I took advantage of that and only paid 16 quid a ticket.

The other subsidies on tickets all relate to pre season stuff.. to be honest, being a st holder who lives 50 miles away, a fiver off a friendly v athletico Bilbao doesn't really float my boat.

This discount has nothing to do with the Saints sponsorship, they're the second biggest TV provider after Sky and a huge part of their marketing spend is on getting sports fans to subscribe to their service. The Premier League is the biggest sporting event by far and therefore it makes sense for them to plough a lot of money into that, they also happen to sponsor a mid-table Premier League team which means they can use us (and us them) for additonal coverage and brand loyalty. There are no winners or losers, if we had aap3 they would have done f-all this season so be glad for what we've had and let Saints bask in the reflected glory of Virgin's marketing ploys.

The way I understand it is that virgin have subsidised away tickets so that every single away fan has paid 20 quid.

All saints fans have had no subsidy and st holders in equivalent parts of the ground pay 30 quid ( me included).

Granted.. they have subsidised away tickets for 2? Away games this season, but bottom line is they have unequivocally looked after away fans rather than saints fans.

It's obviously part of their marketing strategy to try and flog a few more subscriptions but it leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

Bottom line.. they sponsor saints. Should we not be the beneficiaries of any reduced tickets?

No mate, it's just a con..dom! and it will certainly help with your problem above, esp. the cherry flavored one!

They pay the club money, the club put their logo on the things and go in their advert. They don't owe the fans anything and what they've done with the subsidies is above and beyond what other sponsors do for their clubs. Where's the con?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

They pay the club money, the club put their logo on the things and go in their advert. They don't owe the fans anything and what they've done with the subsidies is above and beyond what other sponsors do for their clubs. Where's the con?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

As a aside, their logo never appears on the board behind interviews in the tunnel after the match. All the others do, yet it appears behind the managers press interviews at Staplewood. Strange,

Some people just love to moan...

Why not dress it up that they've done more for Saints fans than any previous sponsor?

Or that they've done more for Saints fans than fans of any other club taken individually (ie they subsidise one match per season for 3k fans of each other club - the match at SMS - but have offered us discounts for various matches, and sometimes for 30k of us)

The away fan thing is sensible marketing from Virgin imo as, broadly speaking, it means that their message hits all around the country (or at least every a small cross section of every city that has a club play as SMS)

OK, so they have sponsored the team, cheap tickets for the Europa, cheap tickets and travel for Man U game, Free drink at Watford, BUT WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS..........err VIRGIN EVER DONE FOR US?

:lol::lol::lol:

OK, so they have sponsored the team, cheap tickets for the Europa, cheap tickets and travel for Man U game, Free drink at Watford, BUT WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS..........err VIRGIN EVER DONE FOR US?

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Love it

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

:lol::lol::lol:

Hmmm, sponsoring the team. How can £5m a year (isn't that the figure) to the club's coffers possibly compare to giving a £10 to supporters?

Its a bit late in the season to flag up a complaint about the reduced ticket pricing for away fans at SMS. It was seemingly a bit lopsided but i think they have done numerous things for home fans to balance it out.

I dont think you understand what sponsorship is all about

Funny how people look at things differently. When I first saw their TV ad that's currently running my first reaction was that they must be pretty proud to sponsor Saints if they are putting representation of the club in their marketing strategy.

so basically someone who's too tight to pay full price for a ticket is now having a moan at the main club sponsor for not subsidising tickets and giving out free shirts.

????

I pay full price for 2 season tickets. About 1200 quid for me and my son.

He's under 18 but I've bought an adult ticket so that the odd game he can't go I can take a mate.

I don't want a free shirt.

Just a bit naffed off that I'm paying more for my ticket than every away fan.

Judging by the thread and the ridiculous sarcasm though it appears I'm on my own!

????

He's under 18 but I've bought an adult ticket so that the odd game he can't go I can take a mate.

Judging by the thread and the ridiculous sarcasm though it appears I'm on my own!

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. Sounds like you just wanted people to agree with you

????

You are paying hundreds of pounds extra for a ticket so your mate can come instead of your son for the odd game? Have you worked out how much that is costing you per game that he comes?

I can give you a money saving tip that doesn't involve Virgin!

????

You used to be able to upgrade concession season tickets to adult ones on a game by game basis. I have done this lots of times in the past when my "senior" father can't make a game and a mate uses his ticket instead. I assume this is still the case, although I've not had the need to do it this season thus far, as my old man has been to every game.

You are paying hundreds of pounds extra for a ticket so your mate can come instead of your son for the odd game? Have you worked out how much that is costing you per game that he comes?

I can give you a money saving tip that doesn't involve Virgin!

[emoji3][emoji3] I am a tight bar steward and take 30 quid off whoever comes. Helps make up the financial difference and means there's a die hard saints fan in the seat rather than an empty one.

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. Sounds like you just wanted people to agree with you

Wasn't meant to come across like that. When it comes to supporters, virgin have chucked more at away fans than us, and I don't think that's right; but was interested if anyone felt the same.

Clearly not judging from the thread so I'll get back in my box

[emoji3][emoji3] I am a tight bar steward and take 30 quid off whoever comes. Helps make up the financial difference and means there's a die hard saints fan in the seat rather than an empty one.

Lol I like it..although if you were to stick to your principles you would show Virgin the way by only charging them 20 quid.

So... guess I'm on my own with this one.

Will go back to worrying about how many players we'll lose this summer instead.

Yeah, you're first line was 'surprised people haven't been more discontent with this' You probably answered your own question there.

can see what the op is trying to get at but tbf virgin have done more for us home fans than any of our previous sponsors, with what they've done mentioned above- not to forget that they are our biggest commercial sponsor- they didn't have to be doing anything.

yes it might be a negative in the sense that cheaper away tickets mean that they take a bigger allocation, which means that they have a louder support than what it usually might be but

1) the club get the money these away fans pay

2) it should be up to us to be louder than away fans anyway.

• 2 months later...