Weekend 8/9 April - Other Games

Batman

Liverpool once again showing they are a one man (maybe two with lalanna) team, we really should have charged them more for Mane. Hope there is a sell on clause there for when he inevitably goes to Man City or Real Madrid for like £80 million.

As if Sunderland don't have enough problems, playing against the ref as well.

Diabolical red card decision of the sort only the likes of Manure get.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Read that it was a foul on Herrera, can only imagine he threw himself to the ground, rolled around in 'agony', before remonstrating with the ref to get him sent off. He is such a little sh1t.

Read that it was a foul on Herrera, can only imagine he threw himself to the ground, rolled around in 'agony', before remonstrating with the ref to get him sent off. He is such a little sh1t.

Actually, Herrera didn't go to ground at all, in fact, none of the Man Utd players really remonstrated with the ref to send the Sunderland player off.

Actually, Herrera didn't go to ground at all, in fact, none of the Man Utd players really remonstrated with the ref to send the Sunderland player off.

True. He took the ball, then his momentum took him over Herrera's ankle. Hardly any contact and a very dubious red. Yellow at most.

Still mixed feelings about Koeman at Everton because he misled us about his commitment to the club when his real commitment was to his bank account but he wasn't honest enough to admit it. Can't help thinking we might have had a better season if he had stayed but on the other hand I like Claude's approach to using the young players. Today a win for Everton feels better for Saints as it keeps Leicester still 4 points behind us. Although we have a game or two in hand on the teams around us, having three games to come against clubs that are in the top 4 means we do need the competition to drop points.

Still mixed feelings about Koeman at Everton because he misled us about his commitment to the club when his real commitment was to his bank account but he wasn't honest enough to admit it. Can't help thinking we might have had a better season if he had stayed but on the other hand I like Claude's approach to using the young players. Today a win for Everton feels better for Saints as it keeps Leicester still 4 points behind us. Although we have a game or two in hand on the teams around us, having three games to come against clubs that are in the top 4 means we do need the competition to drop points.

I think his departure is more complicated than that. I'm not sure he left purely for money, but certainly don't think it was because of ambition either. Differing views from the board about the way forward for the club, and not wanting to sign a new contract surely came into play.

It's hard for me to wish either Pochettino or Koeman well, but my main dislike of Everton has sprouted from the apparent delusion of those close to, or fans of the club, with an unhealthy dose of classlessness from some others when RK joined them. I find Spurs fans as a whole a pretty intolerable bunch, and the thought of Daniel Levy's smug face if they won the title is just unbearable, but they don't hold a candle to Everton fans in terms of misplaced high opinion of themselves.

As if Sunderland don't have enough problems, playing against the ref as well.

Diabolical red card decision of the sort only the likes of Manure get.

He took the ball, then his momentum took him over Herrera's ankle. Hardly any contact and a very dubious red. Yellow at most.

:mcinnes:

It was a potential leg breaker...

C8-XvV5XYAAyv9H.jpg

If Herrera's foot wasn't up and instead had his studs and weight planted in the ground, then his leg may have snapped.

Getting the ball first doesn't automatically exonerate someone of getting a red card. Challenges that are reckless like that can break legs, so fully deserve red cards.

I think his departure is more complicated than that. I'm not sure he left purely for money, but certainly don't think it was because of ambition either. Differing views from the board about the way forward for the club, and not wanting to sign a new contract surely came into play.

His whole managerial career is mapped out in terms of wanting to manage Barca. Everton was a no brainer, they have a far far better squad than Martinez's league position suggested and were serial under achievers. The media are now creaming themselves about what a "good job he's done" , but the reality is any half decent manager would have Everton in 7th. He was on a hiding to nothing if he'd stayed with us. If he has a decent Europa run, finishes 7th again next season, then an Arsenal or European champions league club will come knocking. From there Barca's a lot nearer than 8/9th with little old Southampton. I'm sure the money helped as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C8-XvV5XYAAyv9H.jpg

If Herrera's foot wasn't up and instead had his studs and weight planted in the ground, then his leg may have snapped.

Getting the ball first doesn't automatically exonerate someone of getting a red card. Challenges that are reckless like that can break legs, so fully deserve red cards.

That still is just slightly misleading though, isn't it? It gives the impression he was off the floor and square on to Herrera's leg, when really he kicked the ball and his foot lifted in that action on the way through, with very little force behind it, and he caught the inside of Herrera's leg rather than his shin.

C8-XvV5XYAAyv9H.jpg

As I said, his foot missed the ankle.

Poch is a slimeball, managing a nasty, slimy club. He did ok for us, but nothing special (also screwed up our golden FA cup chance), and buggered off at the first opportunity. I have 1000 times more respect for Ron who did very well for us.

Pochettino changed us from a relegation candidate, bottom 6 type team to a solid top 10 club. He changed the perception of Saints in the top flight, got us playing some brilliant football with mostly young, English players and we have built on that really well.

He is an excellent Manager, probably the best in the PL IMO.

Pretty much all the players who work with him love the guy and Les Reed still has a lot of time for him.

His time at Saints was certainly beneficial for him, as it was for us - a brilliant appointment by Cortese and Reed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That still is just slightly misleading though, isn't it? It gives the impression he was off the floor and square on to Herrera's leg, when really he kicked the ball and his foot lifted in that action on the way through, with very little force behind it, and he caught the inside of Herrera's leg rather than his shin.

As I said, his foot missed the ankle.

It was reckless and dangerous, it doesn't matter if it fully connected or not. Nor does getting the ball first automatically exonerate him as many pundits and fans wrongly believe.

His whole managerial career is mapped out in terms of wanting to manage Barca. Everton was a no brainer, they have a far far better squad than Martinez's league position suggested and were serial under achievers. The media are now creaming themselves about what a "good job he's done" , but the reality is any half decent manager would have Everton in 7th. He was on a hiding to nothing if he'd stayed with us. If he has a decent Europa run, finishes 7th again next season, then an Arsenal or European champions league club will come knocking. From there Barca's a lot nearer than 8/9th with little old Southampton. I'm sure the money helped as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not quite so sure that it was as easy as you make out here, but in principle I agree - it was much easier to show progress with Everton than it was with us. Whether we like it or not Ron is a very good manager, but that said most half decent managers would have been able to improve on what Martinez achieved with them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Pochettino changed us from a relegation candidate, bottom 6 type team to a solid top 10 club. He changed the perception of Saints in the top flight, got us playing some brilliant football with mostly young, English players and we have built on that really well.

Pretty much all the players who work with him love the guy and Les Reed still has a lot of time for him.

His time at Saints was certainly beneficial for him, as it was for us - a brilliant appointment by Cortese and Reed.

I'd agree with that totally.

MP was a brilliant manager for us and had us playing some great football.

He's stepped up a level at Spurs and they are again playing great stuff that's great to watch.

I'd agree with that totally.

MP was a brilliant manager for us and had us playing some great football.

He's stepped up a level at Spurs and they are again playing great stuff that's great to watch.

He's got a squad loaded with talent, from front to back. Not that difficult to get them playing well. Looks like he'll win nothing again this year (although he does have a 1 in 4 chance at the FA cup).

I'm more impressed with what Claude has achieved this year, considering all the injury setbacks and holes in the squad he had to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we'll regard him (Claude) as the better manager.

Of course my judgement may be clouded because I don't much like the slimy creep who manages a detestable club.

He's got a squad loaded with talent, from front to back. Not that difficult to get them playing well. Looks like he'll win nothing again this year (although he does have a 1 in 4 chance at the FA cup).

I'm more impressed with what Claude has achieved this year, considering all the injury setbacks and holes in the squad he had to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we'll regard him (Claude) as the better manager.

Of course my judgement may be clouded because I don't much like the slimy creep who manages a detestable club.

Not that difficult?

Bit like Jose and pep with better squads and more money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's a matter of opinion.

I side with the Poch being a top manager team on this, but agree with this comment, can't think of many United players i'd have in the Spurs team to be honest, so i'd have to say that Spurs probably do have the better squad. Sad reflection on United though to be honest, awful transfer policy!

I side with the Poch being a top manager team on this, but agree with this comment, can't think of many United players i'd have in the Spurs team to be honest, so i'd have to say that Spurs probably do have the better squad. Sad reflection on United though to be honest, awful transfer policy!

They certainly have a better first XI. There's an argument that the Manchester clubs have better squads, but only because they've spent so much money signing up shedloads of "fairly good" players.

Here's a list of his trophies to date. Please let me know if I've missed any.

so, Emile Heskey or Carlton Palmer are better players than Matt Le Tiss are they?

after all, they won more caps and trophies than him

Sat in Palafrugell watching Pochettinos first pre season game with us, we were sat with Jos Hooiveld, and Maya Yoshida up in the stands. Jos was happy chatting, my Wimbledon supporting mate was asking allsorts of questions and Jos was happy to oblige with answers. My mate asked him what was the main difference between Adkins and Pochettino as we had obviously improved, Jos replied "defending" "We just could not defend - now we defend from the front".

Yes we finished 8th in 2013/14 (lower than Koeman's two seasons), but considering the squad Poch was working with and the style of football we played at times that was a great season, and I rate Poch higher than Koeman. Yes we had no plan B and sometimes was poor in goalscoring, but lets be fair- when your bench was that weak there really was no plan B.

Koeman's burnt all bridges for me detest the bloke, prefer Poch over him- at the end of the day I think Cortese leaving was the catalyst, many bought into him than the club but thankfully Les has steadied the ship and we can cement ourselves as a top 10/Europa League chasing team for decades to come.

Completely agree he will rock up at Real soon enough I suspect. I think United had a howler not going for him in the summer when they would have had a chance to get him.

MP gets the best out of players (i.e Jay Rod, no other manager has got half of what MP got out of him), plays IMO the best brand of football in the league, not afraid to chuck in a youngster and is generally a nice bloke (the staff around the club loved him and i quote 'it had a family feel' under him). IMO, The squad we had last year or year before was much better than that of Poch's time here (I can only imagine what he'd do with a player like Mane/VVD)....

Koeman is also a fantastic manager, plays in a different way (a lot more direct and hit teams with pace on the counter). Koeman is a winner (as a player and manager) and for that reason he'll end up at Barca or one of the top European clubs.

Ultimately I don't really blame either for leaving however the way Koeman left is 100% worse than Poch. I think the difference was Poch wanted to leave and never guaranteed he'd be staying, whereas Koeman didn't really have a choice after Les called his bluff RE his contract situation, which made him (RK) look a bit stupid after saying all along he will be staying.