• Højbjerg
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadic
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Sims
    • McQueen
    • Reed

Clasie was excellent - fancy that, a shot on target from one of our diminutive central midfielders... In addition to that, he moved into space, passed crisply and looked a step up from the lethargic Davis of the past season or two. Hoj did okay, but much less assured in possession and in the tackle.

Long was pretty much abject apart his participation in the goal, which felt more like a lucky bounce than anything deliberate on his part. Had Gabbiadini been up front in that game we'd have gone in at half time three up, having played some of our best football of the season.

Tadic and Redmond both continued their good decent form, and in retrospect the substitutions of JWP and NR probably contributed to the pressure we were under. With that many lumbering forward on for WB, Redmond and JWP would probably have made more of the space and played us out of pressure more than Sims and McQueen seemed capable of doing. That said, at least it gave FF a chance to be the saviour for once this season.

Typical attitude of refusing to accept when a saints player does well. Long played a very important part in the goal and there was nothing lucky about it. i fully accept long should be doing better when he carves out chances but that all the good play he's been part of these last 2 games. Clearly gabbi has s first choice but long still showing the value he has in a squad setup.

Nice to see us win away against a solid team. Some lovely play and gritty defending.

Good to see Forster recapturing some form.

Centre back pairing excellent today. Unless there's an injury seems unlikely careers will play for saints.

Great display by clasie, reminded me of how well he played in first leg against Liverpool.

Clasie was excellent - fancy that, a shot on target from one of our diminutive central midfielders... In addition to that, he moved into space, passed crisply and looked a step up from the lethargic Davis of the past season or two. Hoj did okay, but much less assured in possession and in the tackle.

Long was pretty much abject apart his participation in the goal, which felt more like a lucky bounce than anything deliberate on his part. Had Gabbiadini been up front in that game we'd have gone in at half time three up, having played some of our best football of the season.

Tadic and Redmond both continued their good decent form, and in retrospect the substitutions of JWP and NR probably contributed to the pressure we were under. With that many lumbering forward on for WB, Redmond and JWP would probably have made more of the space and played us out of pressure more than Sims and McQueen seemed capable of doing. That said, at least it gave FF a chance to be the saviour for once this season.

Obsessed with Davis..... :rolleyes:

Yoooo Fellow Saints,

I liked our team's play today; shows we have some reasonable depth and quality in our squad.

As said earlier, no real weak link - 11-14 good & skillful grafters ... Good coaching too it seemed as they passes, controls and decision making was near perfect.

Just Longy today again - hopefully he gets a hat trick soon and gets his confidence back

Another great day to be a Saint

Scary stuff at the end there. Brilliant win though, and a clean sheet, which is nice. Forster has been poor this season but today, he earnt us that win, so kudos to him.

Fortunately on my feed the game was over so I was more relaxed.

Have to say MOM was Yoshi for me.

You're the only one who seems flustered.

Please don't derail another thread. This is for the postmatch discussion, not your losing battle against other posters.

Still following me around like a puppy.... Bless

Thought we were good today, did you Fido?

Still following me around like a puppy.... Bless

Thought we were good today, did you Fido?

If you want to pursue your obsession with other posters, why don't you start a thread in the lounge rather than clutter this one. You've got previous :lol:

Plenty of positives today (as I've already said), though a few question marks too (e.g. Long). Both seem fair game for discussion rather than being shut down by your tedious posts.

Edited by shurlock

The substitutes didn't improve our game, but with the result in you can say it's good the boys got their game time. A well-deserved win. The commentators were bigging up Yoshida, and he's also my MotM. Great goal by Clasie as well.

Sims struggled I like him but the physicality of WBA was a bit to much for him.

Great performance bearing in mind our missing players, 4 of whom are nailed on starters. The lads that came in did really well & the centre half partnership was superb.

Personally I don't buy this "Austin would have buried that " & the criticism of long today. Of course Long can't finish, if he could he'd be in a champions league side, but I'm not convinced Austin would be anywhere near the chances. Long gets us up the pitch, his movement worries defenders. Gabbis got the movement & the finish but Austin just the finish. Playing Austin is the equivalent of playing with 10 until the final third. In the modern game you just can't have that. Long stretched them today, which gave the midfield space to play. He was an important part of our win today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sims struggled I like him but the physicality of WBA was a bit to much for him.

Hard to say, the momentum was already shifting to WBA when Sims came on and we weren't keeping possession as effectively. Thought our right-hand side was generally weaker than our left - can't remember JWP being heavily involved while he was on either.

Edited by shurlock

Yoshida has been seriously good recently. Really good shift from Clasie too.

Game time. A lot of Yoshida's brain farts came, imo, from being thrown into games when he wasn't quite up to speed through lack of games. Playing regularly has really sharpened him up.

Edited by doddisalegend

Hard to say, the momentum was already shifting to WBA when Sims came on and we weren't keeping possession as tidily. Thought our right-hand side was generally weaker than our left.

Yeah I think if he had started he would have looked better while we were on top. At the point in the game he came on WBA had finally decided to press and get in our faces and I don't think Sims could cope. I guess Puel was hoping to use his speed to counter on them as they pressed us higher up but that never really happened and TBF the subs bench wasn't exactly brimming with options.

Yoshi was my MOM, but am very happy with the team's performance in this game particularly the 1st half. If I was a W.Brom supporter I'd be angry with their first half performance particularly the way their midfield stood off the ball.

We were missing almost half of the first team and this performance & win is a credit to the coaches and the players. Great to see FF standing tall. Tadic was influential and set up Clasie's great finish on the goal. It takes a bit of character to come in after missing so many starts, not even making the squad at times, and produce a performance of that quality. I continue to enjoy Redmond 's progression this season, and Puel looks to be vindicated in his decision to start Stephens, who at least to my eyes is turning into a good'un.

Yoshi was my MOM, but am very happy with the team's performance in this game particularly the 1st half. If I was a W.Brom supporter I'd be angry with their first half performance particularly the way their midfield stood off the ball.

We were missing almost half of the first team and this performance & win is a credit to the coaches and the players. Great to see FF standing tall. Tadic was influential and set up Clasie's great finish on the goal. It takes a bit of character to come in after missing so many starts, not even making the squad at times, and produce a performance of that quality. I continue to enjoy Redmond 's progression this season, and Puel looks to be vindicated in his decision to start Stephens, who at least to my eyes is turning into a good'un.

Thought Tadic was excellent - today was the precisely the type of game he can go missing in. Seems to have a good understanding with Long which he doesn't necessarily have with Austin.

Forster motm today. I've been critical of him this season but that was great from him. My motm.

Redmond is turning out to be a great buy. Funny as a few on here were saying he was crap before he'd even kicked a ball for us.

Just home after sharing the train north with a load of baggies. As they said, they wish their team played the style of football ours does.

I thought JS outstanding today and MY didn't put a foot wrong PEH had his best game for Saints.

I love our style of play. We look so assured on the ball, well drilled and so confident.

A big summer awaits. Keep what we have, build on it in a couple of positions and we are going places.

It's also the 1st time I've seen us get a result at the Baggies ever!

We need to win 4 more games than them and there are only 8 left to play.

Never in a million years.

Its unlikely but not impossible

Last season Everton won just 2 of the last 11 games

We won 7 of the last 9

Keep the faith... COYR

Just home after sharing the train north with a load of baggies. As they said, they wish their team played the style of football ours does.

I thought JS outstanding today and MY didn't put a foot wrong PEH had his best game for Saints.

I love our style of play. We look so assured on the ball, well drilled and so confident.

A big summer awaits. Keep what we have, build on it in a couple of positions and we are going places.

It's also the 1st time I've seen us get a result at the Baggies ever!

they say that to everyone since pulis though, don't they.

First time I've been present to see us win at the Hawthorns. Superb.

The best thing was how we were not bullied, we controlled, played our own way and it was only later in the second half when they had nothing to lose that we looked stretched. But even then we held so firm. Relief to see that for the one good chance they had a the death they are just as profligate as we can be!

Easy drive back too!

Edited by Colinjb

I gave a tactical MOTM vote to Redmond today, because he was up there with Forster and Yoshida, but has only attracted a handful of votes.

More importantly, one of the best TEAM performances of the season.

Edited by Manuel

Great day out, lovely to watch football not wrapped up in layers! Thought we looked in a different league footballing wise first half, and when on the counter attack for much of the second half. Then showed some steel and great goalkeeping at the end. I have been saying Puel is a class act all season long, and as others have commented you can see how he is improving players throughout the squad. Thought our two centre backs were magnificent. Palace and West Brom both play a style of football that makes that position a very difficult one to play and they have come through really well.

Finally a word for Long, while he can't finish my god does he put in a shift for the team.

Good day out. I thoroughly recommend the Island Bar for a pre match drink. It's a curry house attached to a sports bar where they sell a pint for £2.20 and serve a cracking lamb bhuna.

As for the game I thought we grew into it and once our midfield had got the measure of theirs, after about 20 minutes we looked far the better team. Massive credit to Claise and Hojbjerg for getting stuck in and not being bullied by their big lumps. I thought we gave them a bit of a lesson at time and despite the fact they are above them in the table I'd hate to watch the style of football they serve up every week. Just look at the way we try to play the ball out of defence and through midfield or down the flanks compared to their random wallops into the corner.

A few players stood out but I was hugely impressed with Stephens. One poor pass aside he looked totally at ease with everything he did and it's so encouraging to see him calmly play the ball out time after time when many other players would just lump it up the park and consider it job done.

As for Long, well we all know he can't finish but he put in a massive shift and defended from the front superbly. I couldn't keep up with the number of times he hassled their defenders into a hurried clearance or chased balls which others would have given up on. That work he does should not go unnoticed and was an integral part of the win. He also really annoyed their supporters which was amusing. When Gabbiadini is out I'd start him over Rodriguez any time.

Redmond is looking better with every game, I like the fact he's now cutting inside much earlier rather than running straight up the wing, stopping and passing inside as used to. Forster will also be happy with that performance and has looked more assured in the last few games which is good to see.

Yoshida deserves all the plaudits he gets after that game, he looked so solid and barely put a foot wrong. Most of all that was a great team performance. Yes we might have been pushed back for the last 10 minutes but that's inevitable when you are leading away from home.

Plenty of better teams than us have struggled there this season so well done to every player for contributing to a good 3 points.

Oh, and did anyone else see the lady sat down all game reading her book, bit strange ! Didn't see the title of her novel tho :D

I didn't, but maybe if it was the same woman who spent 90 minutes knitting at Carrow Road a few years ago?

Good day out. I thoroughly recommend the Island Bar for a pre match drink. It's a curry house attached to a sports bar where they sell a pint for £2.20 and serve a cracking lamb bhuna.

As for the game I thought we grew into it and once our midfield had got the measure of theirs, after about 20 minutes we looked far the better team. Massive credit to Claise and Hojbjerg for getting stuck in and not being bullied by their big lumps. I thought we gave them a bit of a lesson at time and despite the fact they are above them in the table I'd hate to watch the style of football they serve up every week. Just look at the way we try to play the ball out of defence and through midfield or down the flanks compared to their random wallops into the corner.

A few players stood out but I was hugely impressed with Stephens. One poor pass aside he looked totally at ease with everything he did and it's so encouraging to see him calmly play the ball out time after time when many other players would just lump it up the park and consider it job done.

As for Long, well we all know he can't finish but he put in a massive shift and defended from the front superbly. I couldn't keep up with the number of times he hassled their defenders into a hurried clearance or chased balls which others would have given up on. That work he does should not go unnoticed and was an integral part of the win. He also really annoyed their supporters which was amusing. When Gabbiadini is out I'd start him over Rodriguez any time.

Redmond is looking better with every game, I like the fact he's now cutting inside much earlier rather than running straight up the wing, stopping and passing inside as used to. Forster will also be happy with that performance and has looked more assured in the last few games which is good to see.

Yoshida deserves all the plaudits he gets after that game, he looked so solid and barely put a foot wrong. Most of all that was a great team performance. Yes we might have been pushed back for the last 10 minutes but that's inevitable when you are leading away from home.

Plenty of better teams than us have struggled there this season so well done to every player for contributing to a good 3 points.

Agree with all of that. Well said!

Good day out, even better when we win, Forster was class today as well as the rest of the team really. Support second half was fantastic, redendition of owts went on for a good while, especially as we were under the cosh.

Forster was brilliant. Getting back towards England class. For a potato he played out of his skin

Maybe now fans can appreciate Yoshida is more than a half decent PL defender? Captain today as well and led the line well. It's all about confidence, run of games and support (within the club and fans). Would be more than happy with Yoshida and VVD as a starting pair next season (and yes, VVD is staying for at least one more season). Need back up if MC leaves, but otherwise would spend the budget else where (midfield or/and attack)

Was there with my son and was a great win bearing in mind who we had missing, yoshida and stephens were superb but Forster was motm. Been getting some stick lately but he was immense at west brom. Great support to and excellent to see Puel come over with all the players and appreciate us. Get in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive win. Every chance of finishing 8th now.

8th, EFL final only just los after being the better team and narrowly. missing out on the next stage of the Europa League, all to a horrendous injury background, would be a very successful season

Alps, someone's hacked into your account.

Great summary

Whilst I'm as ecstatic as anyone to beat WBA let's not gloss something that glares out certainly to me.

The substitutions and bench do raise questions.

I think we've seen in previous games what happens when you substitute JWP. Reed for Clasie I accept. Perhaps even McQueen for Redmond, but Sims when you know there gonna throw everything at you?? Why not Caceras?

And even more obvious to me is why not Gardos on the bench, he's our tallest player or Jay-Rod as he has better heading ability.

Instead we send in the midgets and very fortunately survive the onslaught.

Sorry not intelligent

Whilst I'm as ecstatic as anyone to beat WBA let's not gloss something that glares out certainly to me.

The substitutions and bench do raise questions.

I think we've seen in previous games what happens when you substitute JWP. Reed for Clasie I accept. Perhaps even McQueen for Redmond, but Sims when you know there gonna throw everything at you?? Why not Caceras?

And even more obvious to me is why not Gardos on the bench, he's our tallest player or Jay-Rod as he has better heading ability.

Instead we send in the midgets and very fortunately survive the onslaught.

Sorry not intelligent

That is one way to look at it. Another is that:

1. If you disrupt your defensive shape then that change leads to a greater risk of confusion in defence and more opportunities for the opposition even though you have more players in that part of the pitch.

2. By freshening things in midfield and attack you give yourself more energy in a part of the pitch to potentially a) cut off the supply to their attackers, and b) take advantage of tired legs and break quickly.

Puel's subs are hit and miss but at the time I didn't disagree with what he was trying to do. Personally I am not a fan of making subs that invite even more pressure onto you because when you play that game you lose your goal threat and you lose your shape as a team - basically you are saying that you know you will concede eventually but not before full time.