• Højbjerg
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadic
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Sims
    • McQueen
    • Reed

If you want to pursue your obsession with other posters, why don't you start a thread in the lounge rather than clutter this one. You've got previous :lol:

Plenty of positives today (as I've already said), though a few question marks too (e.g. Long). Both seem fair game for discussion rather than being shut down by your tedious posts.

Woof woof....

According to 442 stats zone PEH was the top passer in the match completing 75/85 passes.

The top 5 passers were all saints: PEH, Bertrand, Clasie, Yoshida and Soares

8 of the top 10 passers were Saints players

Overall, Saints completed 446 passes to WBA 275

That is one way to look at it. Another is that:

1. If you disrupt your defensive shape then that change leads to a greater risk of confusion in defence and more opportunities for the opposition even though you have more players in that part of the pitch.

2. By freshening things in midfield and attack you give yourself more energy in a part of the pitch to potentially a) cut off the supply to their attackers, and b) take advantage of tired legs and break quickly.

Puel's subs are hit and miss but at the time I didn't disagree with what he was trying to do. Personally I am not a fan of making subs that invite even more pressure onto you because when you play that game you lose your goal threat and you lose your shape as a team - basically you are saying that you know you will concede eventually but not before full time.

Excellent reply and I agree with your reasoning.

Look at the final corner from WBA and how Sims allows his opposition player to make an unopposed flick on which leads to a chance that should be buried. Jay-Rod, Caceras or Gardos would have helped more with experience and height.

We rode our luck for last 10 mins

Typical attitude of refusing to accept when a saints player does well. Long played a very important part in the goal and there was nothing lucky about it. i fully accept long should be doing better when he carves out chances but that all the good play he's been part of these last 2 games. Clearly gabbi has s first choice but long still showing the value he has in a squad setup.

Nice to see us win away against a solid team. Some lovely play and gritty defending.

Good to see Forster recapturing some form.

Centre back pairing excellent today. Unless there's an injury seems unlikely careers will play for saints.

Great display by clasie, reminded me of how well he played in first leg against Liverpool.

Well said, he has been slated on here but I think that the players around him really appreciate what he adds to the team ! Sure, he misses plenty and falls over a lot but his contribution should not be taken for granted !

BTW, for those suggesting that he dived when racing in on goal, he got straight up and did not complain to the ref which implies that he just fell over ! He runs at full pace most of the time so this is inevitable I'm afraid !

Anyway great team performance and the MoTD highlights completely skewed the run of the game - we were by far the superior team !

Reading the threads and watching the limited coverage on MotD, I can't get a clear grasp of how well everyone played.

Seems like Forster made some good saves, finally showing the form he should be in every game.

Good finish by Clasie, likewise good defending by the 2 CBs.

Did Tadic not have a good game?

Well said, he has been slated on here but I think that the players around him really appreciate what he adds to the team ! Sure, he misses plenty and falls over a lot but his contribution should not be taken for granted !

BTW, for those suggesting that he dived when racing in on goal, he got straight up and did not complain to the ref which implies that he just fell over ! He runs at full pace most of the time so this is inevitable I'm afraid !

Anyway great team performance and the MoTD highlights completely skewed the run of the game - we were by far the superior team !

Interesting that the commentator on the TV was saying what a joy Saints were to watch (admittedly in the first half) and how they could have performed, throughout the season, with a 15 goal a season striker

We are only 2 or 3 players away from being a really good side presuming all our key players stay which is probably unlikely

On the reverse side, lose our key players and don't replace them adequately we could end up down at the wrong end of the table but I guess that is the case with all bar the top 6 sides

To have your goalkeeper and central defenders as the main man of the match candidates gives a false impression of way the match went. Certainly they are the most worthy of nominees for their performances, Forster producing three or four superb saves to keep a clean sheet and Yoshida just keeps on growing in stature and confidence in V.V-D's absence. He has intelligence and a calm command and Stephens is blossoming alongside him into a reliable pairing.

Looking at the game as a whole though, we were totally dominant in the first half with amazing possession stats and the commentators full of praise for our one touch passing and our rapid movement. West Brom being a typical Pulis team, the expectation might have been that our makeshift midfield could have been bullied by their big strong rivals, but as it turned out, they were chasing shadows most of the time. Any pre-match trepidation because Romeu and Davis were absent was proven groundless, as Hojbjerg and Clasie were both very able deputies alongside J. W-P who had a quieter game.

West Brom were pinned back for much of the match because we were always capable of causing them problems with our width, with the pace and crossing ability of Bertrand and Cedric out wide and the pace and guile of Redmond and Tadic up front with Long. Long was off colour with poor finishing, but his pace and movement still provides a threat for the ball to be cleared from defence over the top.

To win against a team like West Brom away despite the absence of several key players was a great achievement, but it allows us great optimism looking ahead to next season. We have great squad depth and could really fly next season if we keep V. V-D, Cedric, and Gabbiadini and have a fit again Austin, Targett and Pied to add extra depth and variety. Towards the close of the season, it is timely to assess Puel's contribution and to reflect that he is to be credited for blooding several academy players and allowing them to develop into solid squad members capable of slotting into the team seamlessly.

Despite some troughs along the way, the season has been one of reasonable success, bearing in mind the number of fixtures because of our European venture and the number of injuries we have endured. Without the distraction of Europe next season, if we can keep the key players, we could put together a challenge for the top six again, or dare we hope to advance still higher?

The first half was excellent, we looked two or three levels above WBA. They couldn't get near us as we moved the ball quickly and incisive and at pace. The midfield two of Clasie and Hoj bossed that first half, great depth in there.

Don't think the highlights gave a fair reflection of it, we had about 60% of that game easily. They threw everything at it in the last 20 mins as you'd expect, but it was a bit huff and puff and no real quality. We were the only side with genuine quality on show yesterday, coached well and with genuine technicians in all areas of the pitch.

Football is a funny game. At about 8:20pm 3 days ago, we were 16th and 4pts above the bottom 3. Now we're 9th, 12 points clear of that lot. Things can change very quickly, which is why WBA need to keep looking over their shoulders.

Football is a funny game. At about 8:20pm 3 days ago, we were 16th and 4pts above the bottom 3. Now we're 9th, 12 points clear of that lot. Things can change very quickly, which is why WBA need to keep looking over their shoulders.

At us?

btw, that's the role I want to see Hojbjerg in. Not cm, not am but next to Romeu with a bit of freedom to burst forward with the ball.

As long as his freedom to burst forward doesnt include taking it upon himself to shoot from distance :lol:

Just watching the highlights and realised Long was way offside from Forster's kick before the goal, unless I'm missing something.

Surprised it hasn't been picked up, and no, I'm not complaining. ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just watching the highlights and realised Long was way offside from Forster's kick before the goal, unless I'm missing something.

Surprised it hasn't been picked up, and no, I'm not complaining.

You can't be offside from a goal kick, so that helps.

Surprised it hasn't been picked up, and no, I'm not complaining. 

It was a goal kick wasn't it? You can't be offside from a goal kick(or a corner or a throw-in).

It was a goal kick wasn't it? You can't be offside from a goal kick(or a corner or a throw-in).

Knew about corner and throw-in, but for some reason, I've spend my entire life not knowing it was the case from a goal kick.

It sure is. 44 mins into that palace game and I was looking nervously at the table and final fixtures

We seem to have stepped up our game at the right time.

Have now watched the 90 from yesterday and wasn't quite as glorious as some made out. "best performance of season" nah

Rode our luck a bit (alot at the end) but 3 points and no longer looking down the table which is nice.

It sure is. 44 mins into that palace game and I was looking nervously at the table and final fixtures

We seem to have stepped up our game at the right time.

Have now watched the 90 from yesterday and wasn't quite as glorious as some made out. "best performance of season" nah

Rode our luck a bit (alot at the end) but 3 points and no longer looking down the table which is nice.

You sure are an utter c**k and youtr trolling is pathetic.

How the admins allow you to continue posting your ****** I'll never know. Yet over on the ui you post reasonably which is why it is so obvious you are a troll.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

How the admins allow you to continue posting your ****** I'll never know. Yet over on the ui you post reasonably which is why it is so obvious you are a troll.

I'm genuinely puzzled as to how this is 'trolling'.

Constant negativity, to the point of repetitive distraction or sarcasm, ok fair enough that's wind-up merchant on cruise control. But this (post 125 for reference) seems to be a reasonable response to a good point.

I'd suggest your post is more in danger of receiving a disciplinary measure. Might want to tone it down a bit.

Anyway, back to the game. Glad Hoj had a reasonably good game: maybe DM is a better position for him - prevents him trying to shoot, at least. I think the stadium engineers were considering strengthening the roof supports after his last match.

Just put him on ignore. However, that only works if people stop quoting him when they moan about him being a troll. The only time I read his pony is when someone quotes him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame that feels the need to troll, because at times, his posts are actually well-informed and interesting to read.

All of this stuff about us going down, at the time was nonsense, and only the usual bed wetters thought we were in a relegation battle. At no point was there even a slim, remote, tiny possibility that we would be involved in the relegation fight. At all.

I'm genuinely puzzled as to how this is 'trolling'.

Constant negativity, to the point of repetitive distraction or sarcasm, ok fair enough that's wind-up merchant on cruise control. But this (post 125 for reference) seems to be a reasonable response to a good point.

I'd suggest your post is more in danger of receiving a disciplinary measure. Might want to tone it down a bit.

TBF The Troll was playing golf yesterday, so hasn't had the time to post under all his other aliases. You can easily spot the ones that were missing yesterday.

Thought Hojbjerg was OK but not as good as some say. Seemed more comfortable bringing the ball forward than distributing it. Also seemed quite heavy-legged in the second half.

Interesting point, I thought he was outplayed by Clasie who is a more pleasing on the eye passer of the ball. But I have seen some impressive stats quoted that shows Hoj played a major part.

There was much pi** taking when Les said best group of midfielders in the league, and it may have been a bit OTT but when you look at these two behind Romeo, Davis and a much improved JWP it isn't as stupid as some thought.

Interesting point, I thought he was outplayed by Clasie who is a more pleasing on the eye passer of the ball. But I have seen some impressive stats quoted that shows Hoj played a major part.

There was much pi** taking when Les said best group of midfielders in the league, and it may have been a bit OTT but when you look at these two behind Romeo, Davis and a much improved JWP it isn't as stupid as some thought.

it is stupid and will always be stupid.

That's the way I saw it too. And the ref as well it seems, who didn't book him for it.

I didn't think he dived either, like you say he was straight back up with no fuss. Didn't stop the crowd booing him though. haha

Oh be quiet you sanctimonious silly boy!

Watch closely the MOTD lowlights and J Evans just clips his back heel, tiny touch, but enough, don't think he intended it.

It's not like he rolled about asking for a foul he jumped straight up didn't he ?

Thought we did very well. That's a very hard place to get a result so we did fantastic. Takes the pressure off now going into the hard run of games. Can play them without the fear of needing to get something. Well done Puel and we'll done saints.

It's not like he rolled about asking for a foul he jumped straight up didn't he ?

Further, there is no reason for Long or anyone else to forego a chance in order to obtain a free-kick. We all know what would be the end result. Our dreadful record from free-kicks since SRL left speaks for itself.

Didn't see anything wrong with his post. Pathetic reaction from you though.