Saints vs Man City - Build Up

Lighthouse

Bit of a mixed bag for City at the mo, in terms of form. Hopefully the team who played in Monaco will turn up, not the one which won 5-0 at West Ham.

Same team baring J Rod in for Long, it it were up to me. Hopefully Gabbi can be fit enough for the bench.

Shane has to start for me. His weaknesses are there for all to see but his energy and movement causes havoc even if the end product is often missing, meaning he often creates gaps for other players. The game he didn't start this week we drew 0-0, the two that he did we won and scored 4 goals.

Shane has to start for me. His weaknesses are there for all to see but his energy and movement causes havoc even if the end product is often missing, meaning he often creates gaps for other players. The game he didn't start this week we drew 0-0, the two that he did we won and scored 4 goals.

Have to agree, if Gabbi isn't fit it has to be Long, no way should Jay Rod start I'm afraid.

If Gabbi plays, we'll get at least a draw. We can't afford to miss a load of chances.

We probably need a few points against the big teams if we want to finish 8th. 5 of our last 8 are at home but 5 of the 8 are against top teams. I've currently got us pencilled in for 51 points...

15 Apr Southampton v Manchester City = 0

25 Apr Chelsea v Southampton = 0

29 Apr Southampton v Hull City = 3

7 May Liverpool v Southampton = 1

13 May Middlesbrough v Southampton = 3

21 May Southampton v Stoke City = 3

TBA Southampton v Arsenal = 1

TBA Southampton v Manchester Utd = 0

I agree about Long. He can't finish his dinner but does a lot of good stuff of the ball, and is better than Rodriguez in the air.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39541762

Claudio Bravo hasn't saved a shot on target since January 2nd.

Whilst I'd play Long instead of JRod, I doubt Claudio's duck will continue unless Gabbi is fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game is virtually sold out just about 100 tickets left in block 43 that was surprisingly sent back by Man City (£20 tickets you'd have thought they'd bring more) will be interesting to see if any of our injured players feature tonight at St Marys in the u23s against Liverpool on their way back to fitness.

Going to miss Romeu for this game , a big test for Stephens and Yoshida.

This game is virtually sold out just about 100 tickets left in block 43 that was surprisingly sent back by Man City (£20 tickets you'd have thought they'd bring more) will be interesting to see if any of our injured players feature tonight at St Marys in the u23s against Liverpool on their way back to fitness.

I can't see any of the other 'Big 6' team struggling to sell 3,000 tickets for an away game. It was the same last season with City, we got the extra block for home fans then too. TBF, it'll probably be a good, noisy 2,500.

Does Romeu's Premier League ban apply to the U23s? If not, then I guess he'll play to keep his match fitness levels up?

We are still without a league win over the BIG 6 this season and would be v.good to end that run ASAP

Man C have only won 1 of the last 5 on the road - they are beatable for sure.

TBF we beat Liverpool twice in the EFL cup and bettered Man U in the final. We also were pretty unlucky v Arsenal (robbed!) and Spurs away so shouldn't have anything to fear, might as well have a go !

what a daft question

Christ, you are quite something.

Honestly if I'd been wrong in my predictions as regularly and to such an extent as you have been, and thrown as many ridiculous paddies at the slightest sign of adversity, I wouldn't have the audacity to criticise other posters in the manner you do!

TBF we beat Liverpool twice in the EFL cup and bettered Man U in the final. We also were pretty unlucky v Arsenal (robbed!) and Spurs away so shouldn't have anything to fear, might as well have a go !

And in the league we still have to play City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool of the top 6 so we may actually end up with a good record against them (again).

I can't see any of the other 'Big 6' team struggling to sell 3,000 tickets for an away game. It was the same last season with City, we got the extra block for home fans then too. TBF, it'll probably be a good, noisy 2,500.

yeah I agree for a 5.30 Saturday game they'll be noisy enough, their 2500 allocation is sold out but was on general sale for a while which shows despite their big home crowds they are not in the same league as others with genuine big fanbases. Despite paying £20 instead of last year's £42 I don't think any team has brought more fans than the previous year. It does make it strange in the Northam with the whole away end stood, usual home end stood then block 43 stuck in the middle mostly sat down.

Result will depend on what City side Pep turns out and the attitude he infuses them with beforehand. Their squad should be right up there with Chelsea but the endless rotation and tinkering throughout the season has been worse than ours and a pivotal reason why they aren't challenging for the title. Pep has been a hindrance. If Pep is focused on the cup and the players pick up that he isn't bothered about the league (which he isn't) then they are there for the taking, especially if Gabbi is fit.

Honestly if I'd been wrong in my predictions as regularly and to such an extent as you have been, and thrown as many ridiculous paddies at the slightest sign of adversity, I wouldn't have the audacity to criticise other posters in the manner you do!

:lol:

Long and Redmond have to start along with Gabbi if fit. City are so stubborn playing out of the back but they don't really have the players able to do it. Their keeper and full backs in particular are very panicky when pressed. Aguero has been poor this season (by his standards) but David Silva has been immense.

PEH and Clasie to continue in DM for me, I wouldn't risk Reed as he gives away too many fouls especially against a lightweight attacking side with Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Sterling all more than happy to hit the deck at the lightest touch.

Can't see either team keeping a clean sheet (unless Fraser goes full Shop Window form). Do we know who the referee is? Can see somebody like Mike Dean giving a dodgy penalty when Sterling goes down like he does 3-4 times a game.

Result will depend on what City side Pep turns out and the attitude he infuses them with beforehand. Their squad should be right up there with Chelsea but the endless rotation and tinkering throughout the season has been worse than ours and a pivotal reason why they aren't challenging for the title. Pep has been a hindrance. If Pep is focused on the cup and the players pick up that he isn't bothered about the league (which he isn't) then they are there for the taking, especially if Gabbi is fit.

Agreed, psychologically the title is over so it depends on whether they can focus on the fight for a top 4 place, which they should still get even if they lose a few games before the end of the season with Arsenal imploding and Man United with fixture congestion and a tough run in.

It helped us last year playing man city while they had the distraction of the champions league semi final, shame they lost to Monaco in the last round

Forster

Bertrand

Stephens

Yoshida

Cedric

Clasie

Davis

JWP

Tadic

Redmond

Long

Subs: Hassan, Pied, Caceres, Hojbjerg, Boufal, JRod, Gabbiadini

(subject to fitness of course)

What a daft line up. Caceres must play or what a waste of insurance money.

;)

Do we know who the referee is? Can see somebody like Mike Dean giving a dodgy penalty when Sterling goes down like he does 3-4 times a game.

Ref's Neil Swarbrick. He reffed our 3-0 Arsenal-style defeat at Palace. And our EFL Cup win over Liverpool at St. Mary's.

We are going to win this 3-1

Heard from someone today that VVD is likely to stay for another season. It's not 100% but comes from someone that would have an idea.

I don't doubt that is what Saints think and hope now but my view is still that it mostly depends on who comes in for him. He may be quite happy right now but it may all change if city or Chelsea make a move.

His injury may work in our favour though as it may put clubs off offering the big bucks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeah but the talk was he had a fitness test for WBA so if true you'd think he'll be back a week later...

Groins are a sod, they're always there, making you think you'll be ok and then going again. I've guessed at the Chelsea game before he's on the pitch and I'm sticking with it.

He's certainly something.

Post of the season. I don't think anyone could have put it better.

Citeh haven't even had 6 clean sheets this season, maybe we'll score even without Gabbi.

Top Clean Sheets In 2016/17 So Far

Chelsea Thibaut Courtois 13

Tottenham Hotspur Hugo Lloris 12

Manchester United David de Gea 11

Southampton Fraser Forster 11

Stoke City Lee Grant 9

Everton Joel Robles 9

Burnley Tom Heaton 9

Arsenal Petr Cech 8

Middlesbrough Victor Valdes 8

Bournemouth Artur Boruc 6

Its also good to see Forster up there with 11 even though we've had a (supposedly) **** season.

We are going to win this 3-1

Heard from someone today that VVD is likely to stay for another season. It's not 100% but comes from someone that would have an idea.

Ask your 'someone' if they know where VVD is going after the Saints v City game on Saturday.....