Koeman is after Martina.....

Tony F

BBC website quote..... "Reports in the Daily Star say Everton boss Ronald Koeman wants to sign out-of-favour 27-year-old Southampton defender Cuco Martina."

I think he rated Cuco more highly than Puel does. I can see that Martina would want first team footie whereas we want quality subs on our bench.....

Cuco is the best sh!t footballer I have ever seen.

...no matter how much you want to dislike him and how unnatural he looks on the ball, he just keeps on doing the type of things you want a full back to do - get up ad down and overlap all day long, get to the byline, keep it simple, make himself available, make tackles and win headers. Sadly he was a step down from what we had before him, but still a millions times better than someone like Nyom (who is the Ali Dia that got away with it).

Managers often like to have "their man in the camp", so to speak. Martina may well be that for the Koemans. Paul Telfer for Strachan, Pied for Puel perhaps. Sure there are many examples through our history and around the league - Nolan for Allardyce probably the best of the bunch!

Managers often like to have "their man in the camp", so to speak. Martina may well be that for the Koemans. Paul Telfer for Strachan, Pied for Puel perhaps. Sure there are many examples through our history and around the league - Nolan for Allardyce probably the best of the bunch!

Burley and Wright was my personal favourite. I've know idea quite how badly he'd have to have played to actually get dropped but Burley managed to fit him in at LB on occasions.

He's good enough to be a bottom tier prem rightback and certainly good enough for cover if you wanted someone cheap.

He got a fair amount of stick - but he was ok, and for the money definitely worth it.

How can there be a thread about cuco without the goal.

BBC website quote..... "Reports in the Daily Star say Everton boss Ronald Koeman wants to sign out-of-favour 27-year-old Southampton defender Cuco Martina."

I wonder if Koeman really is interested, or whether this is just a 2+2=5 link by the Star. He was Erwin's signing anyway, out of contract and frankly not good enough. Lots on here thought he was the dog's dangly bits though. Nice bloke and gave his all, but won't be too sorry to see him go, as expected.

Decent enough right back cover, we could do worse than give him another couple of years unless they think Valery can do that job. Obvious link given Coleman's injury and Erwin's Cuco tendencies.

We have jezza back now , no need for 3 professional's!

Decent enough right back cover, we could do worse than give him another couple of years unless they think Valery can do that job. Obvious link given Coleman's injury and Erwin's Cuco tendencies.

I'd like to think we can do a bit better, even just as cover. From what little we've seen of Pied, he looks to be at least sufficient and I wouldn't want to keep both.

More likely that Jason McCarthy will be backup than Valery at the moment I would imagine. With Pied seemingly back to fitness we are overloaded with decent right backs (assuming Cedric stays). We also have Caceres who by all accounts is better as a RB (albeit in a 3) than he is at CB. Would think Martina's departure is guaranteed already, hence his lack of game time even in the u23s.

Yeah, we probably don't need three right backs... though I'd have thought that at the start of this season too.

We've never really had more than two though. Martina was pretty much set to leave until it became apparent that Pied was out for the season.

For me he'll go down as a very good signing - minimal fee, expectation was about as low as it can be - he has put in some perfectly respectable performances when needed, yes a few not so pretty, but has the ability to get up and back and occasionally pulled out a lovely clipped pass in behind that created several goals. Has scored one of the greatest goals I have ever seen live, and I had the perfect view of it, will never ever forget it. Seems like an extremely popular member of the group too. Good luck to him, he's alright.

Transfer free professional back-up, allround good guy who's happy to get some game time. People like to laugh at him (and he's had some bad games indeed) and make fun of his name, but he had some decent games at a a time when Cedric was struggling for form.

Pied will be back, we don't really need Martina and lets not mess around, the bloke is gash.

Martina isn't that bad he is athletic gets up and down the line well. His decision making is a bit suspect at times but as a back up or first choice in a newly promoted PL side he can do a job. Plus that goal will go down in saints folklore.

Edited by doddisalegend

Martina isn't that bad he is athletic gets up and down the line well. His decision making is a bit suspect at times but as a back up or first choice in a newly promoted PL side he can do a job. Plus that goal will go down in saints folklore.

Always great fun. Not the best footballer but always seemed to play with a smile on his face.