Never have I seen Saints playing such beautiful football

Singapore Saint

I really hope Katarina doesn't sell the club to Lander or anyone else. Never have I seen Saints playing such beautiful football as I did the game against West Brom. We absolutely schooled them with one- and two-touch football and with a bit of luck, could have won by a bigger margin. Once again, Redmond and Yoshida were immense! The club is moving in the right direction, Claude Puel is doing wonders with the youngsters and I don't want the Chinese (I am of Chinese ancestry so this is not a racist comment) to come in and rock the boat!

The next step is doing it for 90 minutes.

I agree we have played some excellent football at times recently but we still drift in and out of games. Can´t afford to keep letting teams get back in.

I also agree. However we do need a cutting edge which hope Gabbi will continue to provide when fit

The team of the Keegan/Channon era were also very good

I think it's because some posters prefer to watch technical play while others prefer direct football. I think we play some great stuff under Puel, as good as we did with Poch as our coach. We seem to have a style of play we want to keep to again. We really didn't have one under Koeman, who was probably the best tactician of the three but also the most pragmatic and concerned with results over style of play.

I thought the general view of the forum was that we only played boring, turgid football these days nothing like the1970s Brazilian football we played under Ronald....

To be fair, there is a vast difference between the way we are playing now and how we were playing at the beginning of the season. There are obviously a number of reasons for this improvement but I think it's fair to say we did put in some poor performances at the start of the season.

To be fair' date=' there is a vast difference between the way we are playing now and how we were playing at the beginning of the season. There are obviously a number of reasons for this improvement but I think it's fair to say we did put in some poor performances at the start of the season.[/quote']

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57583-Saints-v-Middlesbrough-Match-thread!&p=2429696#post2429696

some of our early games were equally awesome.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

& useful idiot is right; some posters (fans) prefer direct play. Under Mopo, Koeman and Adkins (to some degree) we defended as a team and attacked in numbers. You see Spurs and Everton doing this now – it’s successful and it’s entertaining.

For me Puels style is too slow when attacking - he likes the whole team to defend as one, but restricts the numbers that attack, hence why against WBA we managed just a single shot on target + when we were in attacking positions we only had 2 maybe 3 in the box attacking crosses (look at Spurs and Everton – the attack fast and flood the opposition). A lot of Puels play relies heavily on Tadic having a good game, unfortunate like many players of his ilk he is inconsistent (probably more so this season than any). We as a team are therefore very inconsistent - some good stuff, some absolutely horrendous.

I’m sure Puel will work on things and a summer of coaching + purchase one or two players that suit his style and things might look brighter and more deliberate next season. A settled team helps, plus playing players in natural positions of course

& useful idiot is right; some posters (fans) prefer direct play. Under Mopo, Koeman and Adkins (to some degree) we defended as a team and attacked in numbers. You see Spurs and Everton doing this now – it’s successful and it’s entertaining.

For me Puels style is too slow when attacking - he likes the whole team to defend as one, but restricts the numbers that attack, hence why against WBA we managed just a single shot on target + when we were in attacking positions we only had 2 maybe 3 in the box attacking crosses (look at Spurs and Everton – the attack fast and flood the opposition). A lot of Puels play relies heavily on Tadic having a good game, unfortunate like many players of his ilk he is inconsistent (probably more so this season than any). We as a team are therefore very inconsistent - some good stuff, some absolutely horrendous.

I’m sure Puel will work on things and a summer of coaching + purchase one or two players that suit his style and things might look brighter and more deliberate next season. A settled team helps, plus playing players in natural positions of course

Spot on IMO.

Spot on IMO.

Yeah spot on... we only had 1 shot on target against west brom, yeah ofc we did.... :lol: :mcinnes:

It is amazing, we go away from home, play some scintillating football to take the lead, all against a good team who we often struggle against and who are above us in the league, and fans still moan.

Then when we defend that league and get the 3 points our fans not only attack the team for doing it, but they also make up fake stats to beat the performance with. All with our 3 best players (arguably 4) all out injured....

I struggle to understand our fans these days.

Just look at the cup final, that game would perfectly define slow turgid football.... :mcinnes:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But Puel's team have played a colossal amount of games this year, he's done it without a striker for all but 6games, he is missing the leagues best CB and our star player, and he has radically changed the style of play for hoofball + Mane to team attacking and intricate passing... and he's developed young english players again. Saints have actually been playing amazing football lately now that it has all started to click and I feel nothing but enthusiasm for going down to watch us play, to support the team and enjoy the football... Next season will be a cracker if we do keep most of this team together... No european football, a young team getting better and better, and VVD and Gabbi from the get go. I think we're in a great place as a club atm.

Yeah spot on... we only had 1 shot on target against west brom, yeah ofc we did.... :lol: :mcinnes:

It is amazing, we go away from home, play some scintillating football to take the lead, all against a good team who we often struggle against and who are above us in the league, and fans still moan.

Then when we defend that league and get the 3 points our fans not only attack the team for doing it, but they also make up fake stats to beat the performance with. All with our 3 best players (arguably 4) all out injured....

Just look at the cup final, that game would perfectly define slow turgid football.... :mcinnes:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But Puel's team have played a colossal amount of games this year, he's done it without a striker for all but 6games, he is missing the leagues best CB and our star player, and he has radically changed the style of play for hoofball + Mane to team attacking and intricate passing... and he's developed young english players again. Saints have actually been playing amazing football lately now that it has all started to click and I feel nothing but enthusiasm for going down to watch us play, to support the team and enjoy the football... Next season will be a cracker if we do keep most of this team together... No european football, a young team getting better and better, and VVD and Gabbi from the get go. I think we're in a great place as a club atm.

Wasn't specifically referring to 1 shot on target (Although I cannot recall Foster having to make that many saves, perhaps you can inform me on how many shots on target we had?). However, you do realise that playing direct and 'hoofball' are not the same thing?

The best bit of play (other than the strike for the goal) against WBA was a 40+ yard pass by PEH to Redmond, which set up a counter attack. Was that 'hoofball'?

It's all well and good making 5 yard passes in the middle of the park, but intricate passing doesn't score you goals. In fact it gives teams a chance to get men behind the ball and back into shape. FWIW, IMO, at times we played some excellent stuff under Koeman and some poor boring stuff under Poch as well, however as a whole we were a more entertaining team to watch.

Everyone wants to play the same way as Pep at Barca, but you have to have a set unbelievable players (who perform on a consistent basis) to do so, as he is finding out this season at City.

Our best performances this year have been when we have played on the counter, using pace of wing backs / forwards. It's finding the right balance of when to keep possession and when to make a direct pass to set up a counter.

I think it's because some posters prefer to watch technical play while others prefer direct football. I think we play some great stuff under Puel, as good as we did with Poch as our coach. We seem to have a style of play we want to keep to again. We really didn't have one under Koeman, who was probably the best tactician of the three but also the most pragmatic and concerned with results over style of play.

Tbf I am also always a result over style of play person.

The win is the entertainment- not a 5-4 loss every week

Spot on

Wasn't specifically referring to 1 shot on target (Although I cannot recall Foster having to make that many saves, perhaps you can inform me on how many shots on target we had?). However, you do realise that playing direct and 'hoofball' are not the same thing?

The best bit of play (other than the strike for the goal) against WBA was a 40+ yard pass by PEH to Redmond, which set up a counter attack. Was that 'hoofball'?

It's all well and good making 5 yard passes in the middle of the park, but intricate passing doesn't score you goals. In fact it gives teams a chance to get men behind the ball and back into shape. FWIW, IMO, at times we played some excellent stuff under Koeman and some poor boring stuff under Poch as well, however as a whole we were a more entertaining team to watch.

Everyone wants to play the same way as Pep at Barca, but you have to have a set unbelievable players (who perform on a consistent basis) to do so, as he is finding out this season at City.

Our best performances this year have been when we have played on the counter, using pace of wing backs / forwards. It's finding the right balance of when to keep possession and when to make a direct pass to set up a counter.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/west-bromwich-albion-vs-southampton/2242077/stats

against WBA we managed just a single shot on target

yeah ofc we did.... :lol: :mcinnes:

perhaps you can inform me on how many shots on target we had

Three times more than our resident non-WUM stated.

Textbook.

Edited by trousers

I thought the general view of the forum was that we only played boring, turgid football these days nothing like the1970s Brazilian football we played under Ronald....

That is exactly what we are continually told on this forum but its something I have rarely seen in a live football stadium which doesn't fit the PuelOut agenda.

Three times more than our resident non-WUM stated.

Textbook.

Talk us through them....

I watched the game and only recall the goal. Can't remember another shot on target? Redmond had a half shot /volley from an angle (67th min) but think that was going side netting.

Genuinely can't recall a shot on target other than the goal.

We've played some pretty amazing stuff this year when we've played well (Liverpool at home, United at wembley, Burnley at home to name a few). However, we've played some equally awful games (Palace away, Boro at home, WBA home).

We do play with a good style when we play well but I've yet to see us dominate teams in the way that we managed to under Poch.

Things are certainly looking positive though provided we get this summer's transfer window right.

Talk us through them....

I watched the game and only recall the goal. Can't remember another shot on target? Redmond had a half shot /volley from an angle (67th min) but think that was going side netting.

Genuinely can't recall a shot on target other than the goal.

Alas, I couldn't watch the game. I was in Hawaii at the time. Lovely hotel though.

2Chsv_thy9aR7LbHKQT8gGCTUChJ1XI9xlU_c1qo38FtpOl3Ud6bC113mfqVCqTjt3nxkKJshSRMV-371z4DfjqTqQnCB-en8ol1Fy-uFycfITzs2gW1BaMwPN-yeOlcR6uKmUvWa7bgvxEdqzKTCN27z7VWlRD30HM6fPYsozRAUWw619bbdwD32aYoWgDWyHHpUQUYV6Nbs9KRRUFiwNFtRnwS3F--ae4sSb5VMbGxbPvNCRGP4cQGXBvyGhwikBVNFmSlAsN2TsEjNh1J1Tm4s029zAxOgWN3f7UvI6Juj3OM6wGzTkFRfcbAlc-2knrAtXNvf0vxDItN5xBzNbazWDZLjtpDN2UCnMPstMfEchEsKM4WOUEQhR-tfRK5oamHphApcpj6JePNXjio4ItllogDEaxci8v17HNofJgaWm4nOWDvXpq668ab-kQHaozznECq66FXWzNaxzm8y84HFP3tcJTzxuSt449hkGiL8xE2lTOfdxyJXwNNC3xkdB9-4DUKSnwEFTni9hlvoAHfQsnT_uOIosLmKZddj0PAWq-b7c4566CZQteekkxU3AzeT2815ivMUsfoaTUufCQ9oXNkgxfFYdwW4l_mipn1g2B83osSHw=w600-h400-no

Qur7jL1kcji58uFgwT04HdexMmygBIfz8N_4iAjNrrfNE7GMYPX7oGWcNnaiBt4BEAfGM_0gCJTW7vVKagA6OLPQEjGO25aU_rIct1v-iCRJdZJ5uzNxak9ntbs7-QMYQ2_r9yvQ2hu1S9v4qcJefdTGab67uZmxtZTugKkb7w3qbHhexsRfYtzkcwxYkQxWiVmJkKgkLbeJnXqmdtZnKzDNhNUKRktSNoZNdQq1YXp49O2zDw9THIEDNbQVPhNep9R2qka7KQ1vOvmDjiusRlTvZpE4nx_ZnDjguYxWnj-QbGpeudE56OeCFpMU-gUbkpSeQMtGVUnaWfasbugki_hE-ekMupo8hWPGxTwiDaiCK9s7qF8vQWzegj1aJr-hRI35NhR8pq1fMRpYq_6I3WKAEU2v1TSPnVfBZros1A11ZOLCEHu1-ceIJZF7-QzkHtoKlTdya8OjaqK6ZL7MuirzXNRTdMQW5J0EYfj7itoaVvC7f3RfXp_LuZuTqMyvJkfmyeittCZqKr9J0K01CNCSyfFOIu_0hTpgNbPUp9xO0QqhuJxLZy2V4cF_GV8SO5NLkhju_VkUWIe5LlHTMAvacePArCHn66nO2BGHxYnHEt4mTQ=w840-h459-no

zqTkIa434mc1-cH9kQGlhlxtE0ZAaT5z8IIjK4r4iIP7tTheEpl0faUDcquRjORBHHawKDpLCMvmoHbBF-C2g_voKTHmErd1yuULRyQid7Kt-8kDIJiKTVk1c3gpN_9zeRZHQSH9nNtLsfs2hZshsWogicwSLFpgzaFByeWTetAExvtpwwXJ9woL96yaaKuMG8k0rBHekJPF7nMSeODD5Mv_WFrpIzJn6wpurWCnKa1XXNYlZDCJWZMdO0z7yK0IPQt8jZwI2N7VLqqGddO5uNElTLAHScWXOR2b6vtLw5Bth3Xp_aPLJfWXu0qo27wqJYB4nG3ai55TE2zt60S7mzL4UTb-BQCzdDW6kmyA3eG4EqI-JSzGQTGZ7LoEvgr1wLuShILULHJ2Tk6ezITcvcldd4n_jTLfoWGo0dVUFN8xDlFaCmTxGots6qiQuVDE2mEtD7A-HTnVZ_kOIJS3XJj8K0dLOXhGhkof3Fyde7RyVNuL5DTktb-VbpD7fogeP1ZxlaBXMYRYtqrrq02A1voBDG4kQN_S7WakNyYdGNtpr5FVwK2EVvXjxUf7FbPwMREfX9PLAopMFjlTtB_Q5URhutipX_QzuyDqiYz47LpWzK0TMw=w500-h333-no

I thought you were playing golf?

So, what is your handicap anyway?

I was - managed to watch the 90 next day

10 handicap just now. new season just kicked off and hoping to get to single figures this year. new irons (Ping i200) new wedges (ping glide) and new putter (scotty X7) so no more excuses

you play?

In Hawaii and couldnt watch it? Still managed to post 15x on the match thread though :facepalm: :suspicious:

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58202-WBA-v-Saints-Match-Thread

My dear old nan uses my login on match days. I thought everyone knew that? She was watching the game on a stream from her hotel in Baden Baden, bless her. She sent some photos. Looks like a nice place.

bD65HpcFvsAoobr3W_AHBtlMqE5IRBkfo-YuOFxceHNfmrq135J_TxHoQozeZj058GHCVIcBghogtxQ1VeOqa-6rGL5PGW0JS205Bny4gGkMoUscSp6s3rRo-Itj4fdbZm629VJL9x2Jl4Fr85uyOAMma5NIGgADdqzB8zdmjq953pW8b3610GBc8lCDRXszkF_soF1sN2s3JWxquVRzOI6aP1jeNegCWVe5qITqodg1GkfLSMHzdL9imqWpCBAYrQBMX3JSILgTWKg81zIwIpZWBYvawcc-BzuvydNeZK9t0Pskklei4QjxJVQiYphLhROW-ppYOJFGKhsoTQoxcferbSN4tSDa48rqWVKWSva_GrMgcTc919lExFTFiRYMFXyuWTEFo7_WyHvoCCwhhXoAoJa2ZoNKGtzKDUh1sAzovplD-6vz2zJqnMNUt4fqrvaSID5yLBRPS2D1slj9FMPjnV48nzJ-Ga1tc4mOCg3eY7J5NzN0InDZzbXKhoZMFOyZh0tvo2kTmEmddHYktPt48zSaraGdG3sPhrX9h1Kt_hPSG9kGh-YtNamBBy8dAHi7mu6byZOXRzqhyMFKjrxeJzRhbNVkZAs0gL6NVSlv_guLEEWKvA=w600-h433-no

VDZRn1RiTcIlfMvmwje-p3JmS9anMwQFh7CS-dJeEiRHfqALOra4lLhZO9S4Hw9ib538JKn_zqR0H_XBwyj_hreo401IkGVeX4kP0VVskxrSMfDfcy3fKCUEDEyI4y_eoNjYmBj1_Df874q4MdU0out8s04dY66diTaWcpOrxc-vOQIkNf32k55frYmVPtknOp81HVrzNYrHv2ubA-NXSGVqBPMWbodrOcptmC-u5BqRGSkOgYa_m0f4b9r4RglGj-CL5r4MU2N4vfmeQ2lPO1fkfQzd37RPELoJbyJzKqw73qD18iICBhZH5dfN8Dvu6CunKw73ZmOF59EFRD5eXEEG0sMYReqqhcel5QqbAC9LNg_LkdFphQu_et7zycSJVYS_WQjZ-oR0VKE2Ul6eSfohp1RlOvnCtess7_Xn6KB3pKigqxLmFvTVbOJb4k6ppRwY6_gwTUIs7G1p4pOMMFrwxtX5j1-KUuI_DPUOiD7GOyn5i3lBrrwqdib911bHY0rNzB9MvfgxnO2glMfpA_f5e3DfCj6bN8dufdHiHbfIVMMrQyvGOUv0mZedJ8hM7pXGVkMieP4xi5NYtYfz6Ir5H8hCrNlIr3zCzEYWp8zm3uGMsVK9rg=w600-h388-no

MnYnIXrKUi4JHj-yZdLAcUUgv2S66uotGm3eLaazoJ7rV_-Dwk0_ziBE8OErMzQbHKorpwGAdejCfpwQNpZGQoCMy8EQUCDQcvDU2fWHNdkik062JDO_vsrwl4BxsQnA4EptZ_n2UGFcgiI8hRSVy03nUXvGrXBX_VpPjF4o7_z1i02IuT22xxnvkw6iASMoi-ORkKADou9g-_IQxGWqtx4O9AhTvGX1y-z0SlSR3bmKfemlCzQzkz_YWSKjziW6627-G36sXIkSOJu1tAT04Lrd-_I8fG7DqEAJykvFThAXLfGLg7Fkw1lZBjdgV0z9xdxxsk-bf_VqHSWI0zUE542Igqsq6TdNCs7OIIBjSGabMLyJr1iujxiSSjwd23Vk8Oz9IXeW4Xtj2uy_ul9NSvfhNNvY9-yw9Y5M9sBgomDA2feHUfd5UpEbuyNO9qo5BQRPJ8YGxdmNnB6-4yi2tkXpWcLmrHCTrbVRIUApJszp3iwz5zqhi1XBTy9H0vk5SwimWNzVe5Lj91nArDxTsVzRvTsBvByT-s1qc5gxJkKzzttpHm7dwGdfQxGfwjd5f4ko1-4TZw7I6QplXE-IwCRn2jrSP8K7gnZ0Rkr_OUJBYHidHJEuNg=w600-h311-no

Can't believe people are going to debate how many shots we had on target when you can just check it on various match reports.

Fact remains that we played well and still fans are doing the team down by not appreciating that we had more than 1.

Maybe its just fans in general, but we really should have learnt to enjoy a team playing the way saints do right now rather than doing the team down so much.... we've seen some pure crap in recent history!! :scared:

I disagree about Pochettino's style with us, we quite often played tedious possession football, but what was exciting was the manner in which we pressed the opposition.

Can't believe people are going to debate how many shots we had on target when you can just check it on various match reports.

Fact remains that we played well and still fans are doing the team down by not appreciating that we had more than 1.

Maybe its just fans in general, but we really should have learnt to enjoy a team playing the way saints do right now rather than doing the team down so much.... we've seen some pure crap in recent history!! :scared:

Isn't it just some mug who hasn't realised Glasgow is a troll?

Totally agree and said much the same on the post match thread. Despite some setbacks with crucial injuries, it hasn't turned out to be a bad season and the future looks bright under Puel.

Got to say the best football I've seen us play is under potch. Remember going to Fulham and lallana, lambert and jrod tore them to shreds. There were certainly many positives from wba win but certainly wouldn't go along with hyperbole making it out to be some sort of perfection.

The same game where we were very pedestrian in first half until Cork replaced Wanyama at HT. I can never recall us scoring less than 3 goals a game under Poch and loved our European campaigns. And wasn't the forum a lovely place because no one used to ever moan as we were so brilliant.

The best football was under Adkins in the championship hardly ever lost a game Lambert, Lallana and Guly turning defences inside out Chaplow bursting into the box from midfield Deno pulling the strings in midfield like an English Pirlo.

Only game I didn't enjoy that season was Reading at home.

We really have played some fantastic football this season, compounded by poor finishing.

You can see the philosophy of Puel - defend deep and hit with fast transition. The reason why it's not consistent is partly due to the set up of the opponents and the players inability to find the solution of how to play forward at tempo. Hence why we play better when Tadic performs.

My frustration this season has been the chances missed. I've watched the fantastic combination play, but without a goal the opposition is always capable of taking their opportunity when it arrives. Fortunately WBA messed up a lot of excellent chances and we celebrated. Another day and it could have been another one of those games full of promise without the result. That's the season in a nutshell.

Great that we have Gabbiadini, but is he another sick note and do we really play quality football with Austin leading the line?

We have fantastic fast players and are blessed with players of exceptional technical ability and creativity and if all player who we want decided to stay next season my god we could be playing Champions league next season.

We really have played some fantastic football this season, compounded by poor finishing.

You can see the philosophy of Puel - defend deep and hit with fast transition. The reason why it's not consistent is partly due to the set up of the opponents and the players inability to find the solution of how to play forward at tempo. Hence why we play better when Tadic performs.

My frustration this season has been the chances missed. I've watched the fantastic combination play, but without a goal the opposition is always capable of taking their opportunity when it arrives. Fortunately WBA messed up a lot of excellent chances and we celebrated. Another day and it could have been another one of those games full of promise without the result. That's the season in a nutshell.

Great that we have Gabbiadini, but is he another sick note and do we really play quality football with Austin leading the line?

We have fantastic fast players and are blessed with players of exceptional technical ability and creativity and if all player who we want decided to stay next season my god we could be playing Champions league next season.

:lol:

Love the optimism

I was - managed to watch the 90 next day

10 handicap just now. new season just kicked off and hoping to get to single figures this year. new irons (Ping i200) new wedges (ping glide) and new putter (scotty X7) so no more excuses

you play?

Calling Dubai Phil to this thread for golf talk :lol:

Not sure you can have a good thing compounded by a bad thing...

Is Gabbiadini a sicknote? Perhaps you have knowledge of his injury history at Napoli and before in which case fair enough, but not sure it's a fair assumption if solely based on his current injury! No reason we can't play good football with Austin, he's not a bad footballer and I've seen him hold the ball up and bring others into play well this season. Better than either Rodriguez or Long. Obviously he isn't as mobile so we'd have to adapt our play by playing through him and getting runners beyond him, rather than ending moves with through balls for him to chase. He's also more of a threat from crosses, and we do seem to like those.

Champions League is optimistic, but if we kept our team together and added one or two players (CM & GK would be top of my list), I don't think it's as "cloud cuckoo land" as others make out. Unfortunately I can't see us keeping the team together... :-(

I'm feeling very optimistic about next season.

Key players we might receive very high bids for: VVD and Romeu are the only two players who have played well enough over a number of games to justify the price tag Saints would put on them. VVD's long term injury might deter potential suitors for another year, as £50m+ is a lot of money for a player who may not come back the same, and Romeu has said several times that he is happy at Southampton.

Senior players we might receive some bids for: Imagine we might receive bids for Bertrand, Cedric, Tadic or Forster, but given that all 4 have been inconsistent (to different extents - Cedric maybe the exception), I doubt we will receive an offer that we can't refuse. We will only sell if the bid is ridiculous or we have a better replacement in mind.

Players with potential who we are unlikely to receive realistic offers for: Redmond, JWP, Gabbiadini, Boufal, Sims, Stephens, McQueen and even Hojberg at the beginning of the season, have all shown that they have the potential to command a high price tag, but we won't be receiving offers upwards of £30m for any of them (£40m+ for Gabbiadini) and so it's likely that they'll all stay with us.

With the above in mind, it doesn't seem as though we will lose the core of our first team this summer and if we do sell 1/2, our reputation for developing players and allowing them to leave when the time is "right", positions us well to attract young, hungry and talented signings. We have the makings of an excellent squad who seem to be getting the hang of Puel's style of play and with some clever acquisitions, I think we could have a very good 2018/19 season.

Got to say the best football I've seen us play is under potch. Remember going to Fulham and lallana, lambert and jrod tore them to shreds. There were certainly many positives from wba win but certainly wouldn't go along with hyperbole making it out to be some sort of perfection.

I was at that game, fantastic day. Funnily enough the game that really stands out for me under Pochettino was Fulham at home, I think we won 2-0. I was laughing at how good we were, particularly at getting the ball back. Every time Fulham got possession I knew we'd have it back within about 5-10 seconds.

The downside with Pochettino's era is that while we hardly ever had a game where we were outplayed, we also lacked a cutting edge in the final third, similar to our situation this year. We rarely got in behind teams because our passing football often went from side to side. Just writing that I'm feeling like I could be reviewing this season - the difference under Pochettino was how assertive our defending was, whereas now we sit deeper. Could be equally as effective, but not as enjoyable to watch.

That's why I think the early days of Koeman were possibly our best. We had the foundations of fitness and pressing from Pochettino's time, yet our attack was more unpredictable as we could go direct as well as pass it around nicely. Defensively we were amazing (just check out Pass the Dutchie's 'goals conceded' chart!) and even though we didn't score loads, you felt as though we could score at any moment, whereas under Pochettino it had reached the stage of "I know we'll play well, but will we have any shots?"

Having said that, although our final standing improved each year with Koeman, I don't think our style of football did. I'm not convinced he's that good a manager, but somehow finds a way to eek out results. Maybe I'm finding excuses and being unfair on reserving credit, but I'd rather have Pochettino in charge.

Tbf I am also always a result over style of play person.

The win is the entertainment- not a 5-4 loss every week

I'm almost (but not totally) the opposite. I can enjoy a game that we don't win, so long as we play well. Performance does matter IMO, as you can't play **** and win regularly. Continue to play well, control games and create chances and eventually you will win games...well that's my theory. Simply controlling the game is not enough mind you. There has to be chances created too.

I don't think the excitement of football is related to how much do you keep possesion but how quick do you pass forward with intent and precision. We are doing that now because confidence is high and everyone is happy with Puel tactics.

With Koeman at times we played 5-3-2 and it was horrible football. Going always route 1, hoofing the ball and it wasen't very effective. It was direct and it was BORING as hell. Because the ball was coming back when the central defender beat Pelle on the air or whoever was up. Sometimes the ball didn't came back and we were able to score but it sure wasen't "exciting".

The most exciting football when Koeman was the times we played 4-3-3 and our wingers were given freedom to take on the man and dribble past them and then cross. That's someting that I could say Puel doesen't like as much.

The difference with early in the season when we played the diamond is that players weren't moving enough, and when they made runs in behind the passes waren't going there, there wasn't enough confidence in the players to pass and whoever made the run became frustrated so he wouldn't do it next time. It is a vicious circle that resulted in a slow passing, always backwards or sideways.

Now it is a different story. We are playing mostly short passes but it is quick and with great precision. It hurts the opposition and it is exciting. Passes are short and quick. And if you like crossing well, it is still there because Bertrand and Cedric overlap a lot. Look at JWP's latest goals, for example.